HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andreas Nodl Claimed by Carolina

Old
11-29-2011, 12:57 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan1216 View Post
A few good stretch of games doesn't make a career.
Seriously? You wanna share that with Holmgren, because he gives big assed contracts out for a small sample size of awesome.

As far as Nodl, I don't care that he's not a Flyer anymore (although I think he's a very good 3/4th liner who isn't a defensive liability) but not getting something in return for an asset, especially by the man who overpays on most of the deals he makes, is ridiculous.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Once again, just because he was claimed, does not mean someone would have traded for him. And once again you are making claims that you know something that the GM does not. And there are other factors at play. Maybe they are making a trade and didn't have time to shop him. Maybe he called a few GMs and got no interest. Because he said he was doing it to "gauge interest" you act like he did no research or anything at all, without knowing whether he did or not. It's amazing that a little tweet from a local sportswriter can cancel out every other possible scenario.
It's the words from Homer's own mouth. Holmgren messed up. Once again, we gift a perfectly good player to another team for free because Homer can't manage cap space or the contract limit. These aren't new problems, they're ongoing and show no sign of being corrected.

Powe was worth a 3rd. I find it highly unlikely Nodl couldn't have gotten a pick from someone.

11-29-2011, 01:09 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He said it in a press conference.

Amazing how little critical and independent thinking is taught in law school these days.
Ha, as if me not agreeing with people because there are alternative possibilities is somehow not independent and critical thinking. Did he say in the press conference that he didn't call any GMs or do any research? If he said that then ok, nevermind. But again, even if he did say that, the fact that Carolina claimed him doesn't mean they would have given something up for him. Until someone in that organization, or another organization says it, I'm not going to act like its true. But yea, I guess I should stick to the critical and independent thinking of jumping to conclusions and acting like I know better.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:10 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Once again, just because he was claimed, does not mean someone would have traded for him. And once again you are making claims that you know something that the GM does not. And there are other factors at play. Maybe they are making a trade and didn't have time to shop him. Maybe he called a few GMs and got no interest. Because he said he was doing it to "gauge interest" you act like he did no research or anything at all, without knowing whether he did or not. It's amazing that a little tweet from a local sportswriter can cancel out every other possible scenario.
why dont you just change your handle to HolmgrenGreatestGMEver

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:11 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It's the words from Homer's own mouth. Holmgren messed up. Once again, we gift a perfectly good player to another team for free because Homer can't manage cap space or the contract limit. These aren't new problems, they're ongoing and show no sign of being corrected.

Powe was worth a 3rd. I find it highly unlikely Nodl couldn't have gotten a pick from someone.
When did he say he messed up? I must have missed that.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Foreverinour

who cares about shelley not being waived. hes here cus hes a big guy/fighter good locker room guy. even though shelley isnt good, doesnt matter. we have lots of players who can do what nodl does and more. shelley will play a few games here and there and eventually be gone. we gave nodl a chance, he was meh. maybe no one wanted to give us anything for nodl when they can just call up an AHL player equally as good? who knows. more roster space. next.

Foreverinour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:12 PM
thedjpd

Quote:

The funny thing I always find is, when it's something we really want to know/agree with, and Homer talks, we always say "what a liar. This organization never speaks the truth, they always lie and don't tell us anything and everything!"

Yet, when it comes to the waiving of a fourth liner, his word (in a press conference, no less) is written in blood as if it's indisputable evidence, and that exactly what he said is all there is to the story, and nothing more.

To the critical thinking comment by another poster - uncalled for, unnecessary, and ironic, considering the above.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:13 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:

Lol...because everything he says in PCs are always exactly what/how it happens. PC are totally legally binding contract law.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
The funny thing I always find is, when it's something we really want to know/agree with, and Homer talks, we always say "what a liar. This organization never speaks the truth, they always lie and don't tell us anything and everything!"

Yet, when it comes to the waiving of a fourth liner, his word (in a press conference, no less) is written in blood as if it's indisputable evidence, and that exactly what he said is all there is to the story, and nothing more.

To the critical thinking comment by another poster - uncalled for, unnecessary, and ironic, considering the above.
This is a bit of a different matter. This isn't Holmgren discussing the actions of a player, or locker room issues, or player issues. In those cases the organization's word is always suspect. In this case Homer is discussing his own freaking actions, and he's not doing so in a way that doesn't paint himself in a kind light.

There's also the fact that Holmgren has a long history of crappy asset management, and this fits in nicely with that well established trend.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:15 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverinour View Post
who cares about shelley not being waived. hes here cus hes a big guy/fighter good locker room guy. even though shelley isnt good, doesnt matter. we have lots of players who can do what nodl does and more. shelley will play a few games here and there and eventually be gone. we gave nodl a chance, he was meh. maybe no one wanted to give us anything for nodl when they can just call up an AHL player equally as good? who knows. more roster space. next.
You do realize Carolina claimed him, right? That says they feel he's better than some random AHL call up.

Homer gave away Nodl for nothing. Carolina may have offered a 5th round pick for him. We'll never know, because Homer chose to "gauge interest" rather than trying to trade him. How can anyone defend that?

Old
11-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
Ha, as if me not agreeing with people because there are alternative possibilities is somehow not independent and critical thinking. Did he say in the press conference that he didn't call any GMs or do any research? If he said that then ok, nevermind. But again, even if he did say that, the fact that Carolina claimed him doesn't mean they would have given something up for him. Until someone in that organization, or another organization says it, I'm not going to act like its true. But yea, I guess I should stick to the critical and independent thinking of jumping to conclusions and acting like I know better.
No, it's your inability to deal with empirical criticism without relyin on mysterious voodoo arguments that is laughable.

You are a sheep.

Nothing more.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post

I actually think Holmgren is completely lacking in guile. Dude tells the truth even when he should lie.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:19 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
You do realize Carolina claimed him, right? That says they feel he's better than some random AHL call up.

Homer gave away Nodl for nothing. Carolina may have offered a 5th round pick for him. We'll never know, because Homer chose to "gauge interest" rather than trying to trade him. How can anyone defend that?
How is the view inside the front office?...or did you just bug the phones?

Old
11-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:

I just have a feeling everyone is taking this the wrong way. I posted not to far back about how I think the situation went down. I believe Beef also said we got a third for Powe. So do we honestly not think he shopped Nodl before waiving him? I have to think nobody was giving us anything for him. He hasn't been the same player since he got that concussion last year.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:21 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
How is the view inside the front office?...or did you just bug the phones?
Holmgren says he put him on waivers to "gauge interest". What the **** does that mean to you? At no time does he mention trying to work a deal for Nodl, and Holmgren isn't bright enough to lie about it.

And no, I don't think Holmgren is swift enough to try to get something for him.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:24 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
There's also the fact that Holmgren has a long history of crappy asset management, and this fits in nicely with that well established trend.
what exactly has this franchise lost that was worth anything or stood in the way of us aquiring a player that we wanted?

I count one...we lost Gags for one season...we were not giving him what the kings did this ufa period. We already had his replacement on the roster....

Old
11-29-2011, 01:25 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

We weren't getting anything for noodle he was garbage he tried hard but thats all he did powe was worth a 3rd he was more of a player then noodle...

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
what exactly has this franchise lost that was worth anything or stood in the way of us aquiring a player that we wanted?

I count one...we lost Gags for one season...we were not giving him what the kings did this ufa period. We already had his replacement on the roster....
Metropolit. The Randy Jones debacle. Upshall trade. Letting go of a very good goalie prospect this summer for contract space is another. Overpaying the living hell out of Leighton and Shelley. Giving away draft picks with every trade. The Maroon debacle. Others can surely name more instances, Homer's asset and cap management management is just bad.

edit: Well if you want instances that hurt the franchise, signing Leighton most likely to be the starter and signing Shelley over Asham are two excellent, recent examples. There is little chance the Bob situation is going to go well for Philly either.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:26 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Anytime you lose a servicable NHL player like Nodl for ZILCH you are not doing something right. Again my biggest complaint with Holmgren has always been his cap management. What he "gauged" in this instance is how poor other Gm's think he is with respect to the cap...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:28 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Holmgren says he put him on waivers to "gauge interest". What the **** does that mean to you? At no time does he mention trying to work a deal for Nodl, and Holmgren isn't bright enough to lie about it.

And no, I don't think Holmgren is swift enough to try to get something for him.
Lmfao...ok.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:28 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I'm glad he was claimed for 3 reasons:

1)one less guy we need to worry about that could be potentially moved to a scoring line that can't score.

2)one less contract

3)I like to see Flyer picks stay in the NHL.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:33 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No, it's your inability to deal with empirical criticism without relyin on mysterious voodoo arguments that is laughable.

You are a sheep.

Nothing more.
Lol. Mysterious voodoo? You mean the fact that there are other possibilities? As for the sheep comment, get real. If I'm a sheep because I am in the minority defending Homer, then what are the masses who disagree with 99% of the stuff he does without looking at the big picture? I guess sheep has a different meaning than I thought.

Furthermore, the only reason I am defending him is because everyone is losing their **** because of a comment he made in a press conference, without knowing the entire situation. I don't know it either, but one sentence in a press conference likely is not the entire story. But I guess I am a sheep for looking at other factors and you guys are the truly independent thinkers for attacking him for losing Andreas "Gretzky" Nodl without ever checking to see if they could get a 7th round pick for him.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:35 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Anytime you lose a servicable NHL player like Nodl for ZILCH you are not doing something right. Again my biggest complaint with Holmgren has always been his cap management. What he "gauged" in this instance is how poor other Gm's think he is with respect to the cap...
Exactly.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:36 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Metropolit. The Randy Jones debacle. Upshall trade. Letting go of a very good goalie prospect this summer for contract space is another. Overpaying the living hell out of Leighton and Shelley. Giving away draft picks with every trade. The Maroon debacle. Others can surely name more instances, Homer's asset and cap management management is just bad.

edit: Well if you want instances that hurt the franchise, signing Leighton most likely to be the starter and signing Shelley over Asham are two excellent, recent examples. There is little chance the Bob situation is going to go well for Philly either.
None of which actually have mattered all that much to the long term course if this team. The coburn deal alone has had more of an impact on this team...

Old
11-29-2011, 01:37 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
None of which actually have mattered all that much to the long term course if this team. The coburn deal alone has had more of an impact on this team...
Do you have the memory of a goldfish, or are you just new?

In the past couple of years, the asking price at the deadline for any player worth a damn started with a 2nd round pick. The Flyers couldn't even begin the process of improving the team because they didn't have one until the end of the Mayan calendar. Why didn't they? Because Homer threw one on a lot of deals he didn't have to. Why? Because he'd ****ed up the salary cap and had to try to force a deal. How does that affect things?