HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andreas Nodl Claimed by Carolina

Old
11-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Lol. Mysterious voodoo? You mean the fact that there are other possibilities? As for the sheep comment, get real. If I'm a sheep because I am in the minority defending Homer, then what are the masses who disagree with 99% of the stuff he does without looking at the big picture? I guess sheep has a different meaning than I thought.

Furthermore, the only reason I am defending him is because everyone is losing their **** because of a comment he made in a press conference, without knowing the entire situation. I don't know it either, but one sentence in a press conference likely is not the entire story. But I guess I am a sheep for looking at other factors and you guys are the truly independent thinkers for attacking him for losing Andreas "Gretzky" Nodl without ever checking to see if they could get a 7th round pick for him.
No, the "BUT HE IS A GM AND YOU ARENT!!!" Argument.

You are defending because that is all you ****ing do. You are like the wife of a serial killer sitting there claiming he's innocent after the confession. Holmgren has his strengths, but his office lost the benefit of the doubt a long ****ing time ago.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:37 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
None of which actually have mattered all that much to the long term course if this team. The coburn deal alone has had more of an impact on this team...
Welcome to HFBoards, where insignificant "mistakes" far outweigh large successes.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Jester

Quote:
None of which actually have mattered all that much to the long term course if this team. The coburn deal alone has had more of an impact on this team...
This tells me you don't follow this team very closely. Randy Jones deal had massive ramifications, including losing a good player in Knuble, and very important cap flexibility.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:40 PM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
We weren't getting anything for noodle he was garbage he tried hard but thats all he did powe was worth a 3rd he was more of a player then noodle...
If Powe was worth a 3rd, Nodl should at least lead to a 6th round pick. After all, they could have a traded him for future considerations, or as part of a minor package including some other prospect.

Anything would have been better than nothing!

Nödl didn't drop too far before Carolina claimed him...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No, the "BUT HE IS A GM AND YOU ARENT!!!" Argument.

You are defending because that is all you ****ing do. You are like the wife of a serial killer sitting there claiming he's innocent after the confession. Holmgren has his strengths, but his office lost the benefit of the doubt a long ****ing time ago.
Oh I thought you meant the other argument. As for that argument, I think that does hold some water. It seems that every move that has been in made in the last few years, a lot of posters seem to "know" what the GM should have done or what is really going on behind closed doors. Which is interesting because all they have are YouTube clips and newspaper articles. People freak out over small moves and destroy him before any of them even have time to pan out. Then he makes a good move and no one says anything and the "bad" moves are far more important, despite their lack of impact on the team. We've been down this road before, so let's just end it here.

Old
achdumeingute

Quote:
Lol. Mysterious voodoo? You mean the fact that there are other possibilities? As for the sheep comment, get real. If I'm a sheep because I am in the minority defending Homer, then what are the masses who disagree with 99% of the stuff he does without looking at the big picture? I guess sheep has a different meaning than I thought.

Furthermore, the only reason I am defending him is because everyone is losing their **** because of a comment he made in a press conference, without knowing the entire situation. I don't know it either, but one sentence in a press conference likely is not the entire story. But I guess I am a sheep for looking at other factors and you guys are the truly independent thinkers for attacking him for losing Andreas "Gretzky" Nodl without ever checking to see if they could get a 7th round pick for him.
Lol...Gretzky Nodl.
I can't believe Paul "I cannot tell a lie" Holmgren let him go.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:47 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
This tells me you don't follow this team very closely. Randy Jones deal had massive ramifications, including losing a good player in Knuble, and very important cap flexibility.
If we want, we have cap flexibility right now...
Mike knuble is a good player...but again we've replaced him....
Call me when he's waiving giroux or jvr or something.
How are we going to score goals without 18 and 17...we seem to be managing ok...now the drum beat Is all about loosing the vaunted defense from those 2 stalwarts...

Old
11-29-2011, 01:49 PM
facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
You do realize Carolina claimed him, right? That says they feel he's better than some random AHL call up.

Homer gave away Nodl for nothing. Carolina may have offered a 5th round pick for him. We'll never know, because Homer chose to "gauge interest" rather than trying to trade him. How can anyone defend that?
I dont think he was offered anything for him, because we arent privy to all the dealings of this team doesnt mean that he wasnt shopped, and as far as a Nodl type player, they arent shopped he has minimal utility value that was deemed redundant on this team. He was given lots of opportunity and had ups and downs. This is and will always be a cap team, therefore, management got what they wanted for Nodl, cap relief however little that may be. Take the relief vs the 6-7 rounder we werent gonna get!

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Jester

Quote:
Oh I thought you meant the other argument. As for that argument, I think that does hold some water. It seems that every move that has been in made in the last few years, a lot of posters seem to "know" what the GM should have done or what is really going on behind closed doors. Which is interesting because all they have are YouTube clips and newspaper articles. People freak out over small moves and destroy him before any of them even have time to pan out. Then he makes a good move and no one says anything and the "bad" moves are far more important, despite their lack of impact on the team. We've been down this road before, so let's just end it here.
Honestly dude, playing the victim card for Holmgren every time is one of the dumber things you do. Consistently.

Quote:
How are we going to score goals without 18 and 17...we seem to be managing ok...now the drum beat Is all about loosing the vaunted defense from those 2 stalwarts...
How have we replaced Knuble? We've had problems with a consistent net presence on the PP since he left, and, frankly, he should have been this teams captain since Smith.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:52 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Honestly dude, playing the victim card for Holmgren every time is one of the dumber things you do. Consistently.
Gotta get that last word in there, eh? All hail Jester, King of the Internet!

Old
11-29-2011, 01:54 PM
FlyersFan61290

Not surprised the flyers waived him (they have cheaper options) but im also not surprised he got picked up. decent cap hit and he can play 3rd or 4th line and kill penalties. overall it would have been nice to get a low pick for him but ultimately whatever

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:56 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Pretty sure anyone who has been following the Flyers knew that losing Richards/Carter would hurt our O and our D. I know I looked at the forwards and shuttered. Granted, Couturier has been good, and Talbot has played well (we knew he would), but when I imagine Briere/Voracek lining up against either Crosby or Malkin, I'm not getting a happy image.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Jester

Quote:
Gotta get that last word in there, eh? All hail Jester, King of the Internet!
I'm sure there will be many more words, and many more vicious attacks of poor Paul Holmgren for you to ride in on your white steed against.

I mean, jeez, we are about to have a new CBA for him to learn. Think of all the fun that will bring!

Old
11-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Prongo
Beer

I also think that any team that has nodl playing in a third line role is a bad team. He is nothing more than a 4th liner now. He had a few good months playing with richie last year but still didn't light the score sheet up. He is overrated by some people on here. This is also not directed to the people arguing about Homer.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:01 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Pretty sure anyone who has been following the Flyers knew that losing Richards/Carter would hurt our O and our D. I know I looked at the forwards and shuttered. Granted, Couturier has been good, and Talbot has played well (we knew he would), but when I imagine Briere/Voracek lining up against either Crosby or Malkin, I'm not getting a happy image.
In the offseason it was ALL "what about the goals"...
Now since that hasn't been remotely an issue it's "what about the defense"...

Old
11-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Jester

Quote:
...there was a LOT of talk about the defensive shortcomings of our forwards, and the potential frailty of Pronger.

Old
11-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Uh...no. There's been a lot of emphasis on defense from the beginning. If anything, there was more emphasis on the defense than the offense.

11-29-2011, 02:05 PM
BillDineen

Gambling tendencies, lack of due diligence and little planning ahead. There are plenty of examples from Homer, so I find it hard to believe that some posters defend every action he takes.

You can support Homer for what he does right, but at least own up to the obvious mistakes such as getting Pronger's 35+ contract confused, keeping Walker on the roster earlier in the year and not being able to recall Bartulis, maxed out at 50 contracts etc. etc. etc.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:06 PM
decadentia

Quote:
He just listed multiple dealings where we lost either picks or players for next to no reason. Of course this matters, every asset the organization matters, and how you use those assets dictates in part how well your organization will succeed.

You should quit while you are ahead, either you are misinformed or a troll.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:10 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:

How have we replaced Knuble? We've had problems with a consistent net presence on the PP since he left, and, frankly, he should have been this teams captain since Smith.
In the year afte he left we were 3rd in the league in PP%...huge loss..indeed.
He's a nice player. He's great in front of the net. We've survived without him.

Old
11-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
In the year afte he left we were 3rd in the league in PP%...huge loss..indeed.
He's a nice player. He's great in front of the net. We've survived without him.
We'd have been better with him.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:16 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
He just listed multiple dealings where we lost either picks or players for next to no reason. Of course this matters, every asset the organization matters, and how you use those assets dictates in part how well your organization will succeed.

You should quit while you are ahead, either you are misinformed or a troll.
Ha, I'm not saying he never fails. Nobody wins all the time. I'm saying his positives have far outweighed the negative. This team is MUCH better off than some.

I haven't been a fan of a number of his moves, but in the end they've worked out just fine.

I'm also saying that nitpicking the "loss" of Nodl is silly.

Old
11-29-2011, 02:16 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

So let me get this straight:

When a player gets beat out of a roster spot the appropriate response is to claim the GM of that team is a moron. Got it. Obviously that is said tongue in cheek but still I don't get the Homer hate over Nodl.

Unfortunately the reality is that Nogoal does not have the skill set needed to be traded. Powe was a different story because of his energy, skating and hitting. Heck half of the guys in Glens Falls could bring what Nodl does to the table and we apparently have the worst prospects since the inception of the NHL.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:17 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Ever fly a kite when you were a kid, let out all the string to let it fly higher and higher only to find out that the string was not tied to the handle?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:22 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
We'd have been better with him.
So who's not playing in the top 9 then?

I also really don't think mikes a good fit with lavis up tempo forechecking system.

One of the reasons I loved the Richards and carter trades is because giroux would be on the ice more...