HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andreas Nodl Claimed by Carolina

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2011, 01:37 PM
  #201
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Lol. Mysterious voodoo? You mean the fact that there are other possibilities? As for the sheep comment, get real. If I'm a sheep because I am in the minority defending Homer, then what are the masses who disagree with 99% of the stuff he does without looking at the big picture? I guess sheep has a different meaning than I thought.

Furthermore, the only reason I am defending him is because everyone is losing their **** because of a comment he made in a press conference, without knowing the entire situation. I don't know it either, but one sentence in a press conference likely is not the entire story. But I guess I am a sheep for looking at other factors and you guys are the truly independent thinkers for attacking him for losing Andreas "Gretzky" Nodl without ever checking to see if they could get a 7th round pick for him.
No, the "BUT HE IS A GM AND YOU ARENT!!!" Argument.

You are defending because that is all you ****ing do. You are like the wife of a serial killer sitting there claiming he's innocent after the confession. Holmgren has his strengths, but his office lost the benefit of the doubt a long ****ing time ago.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:37 PM
  #202
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,686
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
None of which actually have mattered all that much to the long term course if this team. The coburn deal alone has had more of an impact on this team...
Welcome to HFBoards, where insignificant "mistakes" far outweigh large successes.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:39 PM
  #203
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
None of which actually have mattered all that much to the long term course if this team. The coburn deal alone has had more of an impact on this team...
This tells me you don't follow this team very closely. Randy Jones deal had massive ramifications, including losing a good player in Knuble, and very important cap flexibility.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:40 PM
  #204
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
We weren't getting anything for noodle he was garbage he tried hard but thats all he did powe was worth a 3rd he was more of a player then noodle...
If Powe was worth a 3rd, Nodl should at least lead to a 6th round pick. After all, they could have a traded him for future considerations, or as part of a minor package including some other prospect.

Anything would have been better than nothing!

Nödl didn't drop too far before Carolina claimed him...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:40 PM
  #205
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,686
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No, the "BUT HE IS A GM AND YOU ARENT!!!" Argument.

You are defending because that is all you ****ing do. You are like the wife of a serial killer sitting there claiming he's innocent after the confession. Holmgren has his strengths, but his office lost the benefit of the doubt a long ****ing time ago.
Oh I thought you meant the other argument. As for that argument, I think that does hold some water. It seems that every move that has been in made in the last few years, a lot of posters seem to "know" what the GM should have done or what is really going on behind closed doors. Which is interesting because all they have are YouTube clips and newspaper articles. People freak out over small moves and destroy him before any of them even have time to pan out. Then he makes a good move and no one says anything and the "bad" moves are far more important, despite their lack of impact on the team. We've been down this road before, so let's just end it here.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:40 PM
  #206
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Lol. Mysterious voodoo? You mean the fact that there are other possibilities? As for the sheep comment, get real. If I'm a sheep because I am in the minority defending Homer, then what are the masses who disagree with 99% of the stuff he does without looking at the big picture? I guess sheep has a different meaning than I thought.

Furthermore, the only reason I am defending him is because everyone is losing their **** because of a comment he made in a press conference, without knowing the entire situation. I don't know it either, but one sentence in a press conference likely is not the entire story. But I guess I am a sheep for looking at other factors and you guys are the truly independent thinkers for attacking him for losing Andreas "Gretzky" Nodl without ever checking to see if they could get a 7th round pick for him.
Lol...Gretzky Nodl.
I can't believe Paul "I cannot tell a lie" Holmgren let him go.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:47 PM
  #207
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
This tells me you don't follow this team very closely. Randy Jones deal had massive ramifications, including losing a good player in Knuble, and very important cap flexibility.
If we want, we have cap flexibility right now...
Mike knuble is a good player...but again we've replaced him....
Call me when he's waiving giroux or jvr or something.
How are we going to score goals without 18 and 17...we seem to be managing ok...now the drum beat Is all about loosing the vaunted defense from those 2 stalwarts...

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:49 PM
  #208
facts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
You do realize Carolina claimed him, right? That says they feel he's better than some random AHL call up.

Homer gave away Nodl for nothing. Carolina may have offered a 5th round pick for him. We'll never know, because Homer chose to "gauge interest" rather than trying to trade him. How can anyone defend that?
I dont think he was offered anything for him, because we arent privy to all the dealings of this team doesnt mean that he wasnt shopped, and as far as a Nodl type player, they arent shopped he has minimal utility value that was deemed redundant on this team. He was given lots of opportunity and had ups and downs. This is and will always be a cap team, therefore, management got what they wanted for Nodl, cap relief however little that may be. Take the relief vs the 6-7 rounder we werent gonna get!

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:51 PM
  #209
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Oh I thought you meant the other argument. As for that argument, I think that does hold some water. It seems that every move that has been in made in the last few years, a lot of posters seem to "know" what the GM should have done or what is really going on behind closed doors. Which is interesting because all they have are YouTube clips and newspaper articles. People freak out over small moves and destroy him before any of them even have time to pan out. Then he makes a good move and no one says anything and the "bad" moves are far more important, despite their lack of impact on the team. We've been down this road before, so let's just end it here.
Honestly dude, playing the victim card for Holmgren every time is one of the dumber things you do. Consistently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
If we want, we have cap flexibility right now...
Mike knuble is a good player...but again we've replaced him....
Call me when he's waiving giroux or jvr or something.
How are we going to score goals without 18 and 17...we seem to be managing ok...now the drum beat Is all about loosing the vaunted defense from those 2 stalwarts...
How have we replaced Knuble? We've had problems with a consistent net presence on the PP since he left, and, frankly, he should have been this teams captain since Smith.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:52 PM
  #210
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,686
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Honestly dude, playing the victim card for Holmgren every time is one of the dumber things you do. Consistently.
Gotta get that last word in there, eh? All hail Jester, King of the Internet!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:54 PM
  #211
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,716
vCash: 500
Not surprised the flyers waived him (they have cheaper options) but im also not surprised he got picked up. decent cap hit and he can play 3rd or 4th line and kill penalties. overall it would have been nice to get a low pick for him but ultimately whatever

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:56 PM
  #212
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
If we want, we have cap flexibility right now...
Mike knuble is a good player...but again we've replaced him....
Call me when he's waiving giroux or jvr or something.
How are we going to score goals without 18 and 17...we seem to be managing ok...now the drum beat Is all about loosing the vaunted defense from those 2 stalwarts...
Pretty sure anyone who has been following the Flyers knew that losing Richards/Carter would hurt our O and our D. I know I looked at the forwards and shuttered. Granted, Couturier has been good, and Talbot has played well (we knew he would), but when I imagine Briere/Voracek lining up against either Crosby or Malkin, I'm not getting a happy image.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:57 PM
  #213
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Gotta get that last word in there, eh? All hail Jester, King of the Internet!
I'm sure there will be many more words, and many more vicious attacks of poor Paul Holmgren for you to ride in on your white steed against.

I mean, jeez, we are about to have a new CBA for him to learn. Think of all the fun that will bring!

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:00 PM
  #214
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,045
vCash: 500
I also think that any team that has nodl playing in a third line role is a bad team. He is nothing more than a 4th liner now. He had a few good months playing with richie last year but still didn't light the score sheet up. He is overrated by some people on here. This is also not directed to the people arguing about Homer.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:01 PM
  #215
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Pretty sure anyone who has been following the Flyers knew that losing Richards/Carter would hurt our O and our D. I know I looked at the forwards and shuttered. Granted, Couturier has been good, and Talbot has played well (we knew he would), but when I imagine Briere/Voracek lining up against either Crosby or Malkin, I'm not getting a happy image.
In the offseason it was ALL "what about the goals"...
Now since that hasn't been remotely an issue it's "what about the defense"...

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:04 PM
  #216
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
In the offseason it was ALL "what about the goals"...
Now since that hasn't been remotely an issue it's "what about the defense"...
...there was a LOT of talk about the defensive shortcomings of our forwards, and the potential frailty of Pronger.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:05 PM
  #217
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 39,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
In the offseason it was ALL "what about the goals"...
Now since that hasn't been remotely an issue it's "what about the defense"...
Uh...no. There's been a lot of emphasis on defense from the beginning. If anything, there was more emphasis on the defense than the offense.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:05 PM
  #218
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,743
vCash: 500
Gambling tendencies, lack of due diligence and little planning ahead. There are plenty of examples from Homer, so I find it hard to believe that some posters defend every action he takes.

You can support Homer for what he does right, but at least own up to the obvious mistakes such as getting Pronger's 35+ contract confused, keeping Walker on the roster earlier in the year and not being able to recall Bartulis, maxed out at 50 contracts etc. etc. etc.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:06 PM
  #219
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
None of which actually have mattered all that much to the long term course if this team. The coburn deal alone has had more of an impact on this team...
He just listed multiple dealings where we lost either picks or players for next to no reason. Of course this matters, every asset the organization matters, and how you use those assets dictates in part how well your organization will succeed.

You should quit while you are ahead, either you are misinformed or a troll.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:10 PM
  #220
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Honestly dude, playing the victim card for Holmgren every time is one of the dumber things you do. Consistently.



How have we replaced Knuble? We've had problems with a consistent net presence on the PP since he left, and, frankly, he should have been this teams captain since Smith.
In the year afte he left we were 3rd in the league in PP%...huge loss..indeed.
He's a nice player. He's great in front of the net. We've survived without him.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:12 PM
  #221
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 39,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
In the year afte he left we were 3rd in the league in PP%...huge loss..indeed.
He's a nice player. He's great in front of the net. We've survived without him.
We'd have been better with him.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:16 PM
  #222
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
He just listed multiple dealings where we lost either picks or players for next to no reason. Of course this matters, every asset the organization matters, and how you use those assets dictates in part how well your organization will succeed.

You should quit while you are ahead, either you are misinformed or a troll.
Ha, I'm not saying he never fails. Nobody wins all the time. I'm saying his positives have far outweighed the negative. This team is MUCH better off than some.

I haven't been a fan of a number of his moves, but in the end they've worked out just fine.

I'm also saying that nitpicking the "loss" of Nodl is silly.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:16 PM
  #223
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
jd2210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,540
vCash: 500
So let me get this straight:

When a player gets beat out of a roster spot the appropriate response is to claim the GM of that team is a moron. Got it. Obviously that is said tongue in cheek but still I don't get the Homer hate over Nodl.


Unfortunately the reality is that Nogoal does not have the skill set needed to be traded. Powe was a different story because of his energy, skating and hitting. Heck half of the guys in Glens Falls could bring what Nodl does to the table and we apparently have the worst prospects since the inception of the NHL.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:17 PM
  #224
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,474
vCash: 500
Ever fly a kite when you were a kid, let out all the string to let it fly higher and higher only to find out that the string was not tied to the handle?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:22 PM
  #225
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
We'd have been better with him.
So who's not playing in the top 9 then?

I also really don't think mikes a good fit with lavis up tempo forechecking system.

One of the reasons I loved the Richards and carter trades is because giroux would be on the ice more...

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.