HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miller wants out?

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2011, 08:24 AM
BowieSabresFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
The hate surrounding that goal has more to do with the fact that Miller made tougher saves in that game than that goal there. Of course, some blame should be assigned to the guy(s) on defense that figured leaving Sidney -freakin'- Crosby wide open for that shot was a good idea.
Agreed on the defense. Miller baffled me on that one going for the poke check, and that's what got him. Of course, I think Miller realized that Crosby had time to deke to Miller's left, and thought the poke check was his best option.

Old
11-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
Agreed on the defense. Miller baffled me on that one going for the poke check, and that's what got him. Of course, I think Miller realized that Crosby had time to deke to Miller's left, and thought the poke check was his best option.
Hard to fault Miller for letting in a goal off a blind tape to tape pass, and then a quick shot on net where Crosby didn't even look up.

Crosby takes a split second to aim, Miller stops it all day.

Old
11-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I still find it hard to believe that any goal by Crosby is a bad goal. He is the best player in the league.
I'm sorry, but that makes zero sense.

If Crosby was shooting from his own blue line and goalie were letting in goals, would those still be good goals?

Old
11-29-2011, 11:57 AM
PanicItsVanek26

I seem to be one of the few Miller fans to be left and never want to see him go but if this has anything to do with his wife than I've lost all respect Ryan. I understand him wanting to be near her but this' his career and is obligated to his teammates and the fans.
I never bought into Enroth being our #1, he's small and never carried a team for an entire season. We need Ryan to have any chance to make noise in the playoffs.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Disenfranchised*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicItsVanek26 View Post
I seem to be one of the few Miller fans to be left and never want to see him go but if this has anything to do with his wife than I've lost all respect Ryan. I understand him wanting to be near her but this' his career and is obligated to his teammates and the fans.
I never bought into Enroth being our #1, he's small and never carried a team for an entire season. We need Ryan to have any chance to make noise in the playoffs.
Henrik Lundqvist- 6 ft 1, 195
Dominik Hašek 6 ft 1, 165
Jhonas Enroth 5 ft 11 174

I highly doubt that Enroth's height difference makes him incapable of carrying a team. I was sold when Enroth carried this team into the playoffs last year and was robbed his opportunity to start because of Miller.

I just want you to ask yourselves one question. You've listened to Ryan Miller in interview situations, whether it be post game, pregame whatever. Is this a guy that you would like to hang out with? Is he someone that you would follow, and look up to as a leader? Because the impression I get is that he has some serious mental issues(He cried after the Detroit game years ago). There have been rumors that the team responds to Enroth more than they do Miller because they genuinely like him more than Miller. Logically speaking if this is true it makes perfect sense why the team plays better for Enroth I'm always going to do what I can for a friend rather than someone I detest as a person. Just my opinion but if Enroth is given the opportunity I believe he can carry this team.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:38 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognito View Post
I just want you to ask yourselves one question. You've listened to Ryan Miller in interview situations, whether it be post game, pregame whatever. Is this a guy that you would like to hang out with? Is he someone that you would follow, and look up to as a leader? Because the impression I get is that he has some serious mental issues(He cried after the Detroit game years ago). There have been rumors that the team responds to Enroth more than they do Miller because they genuinely like him more than Miller. Logically speaking if this is true it makes perfect sense why the team plays better for Enroth I'm always going to do what I can for a friend rather than someone I detest as a person. Just my opinion but if Enroth is given the opportunity I believe he can carry this team.
Trust me, players want to hang with Miller a thousand times more than they wanted to hang out with Hasek.

You don't have to like a goalie to play hard in front of him.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:39 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Quote:

I highly doubt that Enroth's height difference makes him incapable of carrying a team. I was sold when Enroth carried this team into the playoffs last year and was robbed his opportunity to start because of Miller.

While I agree there are some good small goalies, Enroth is not 5ft 11 most people claim hes close to 5ft 9

Old
11-29-2011, 12:52 PM
PanicItsVanek26

Quote:

First Enroth is not 5'11" and he looks like he has a beer gut. He has carried the team in a small sampling of games, many goalies have come into the league and had great starts to their careers(mason). The more Enroth plays the more his shortcomings will be (unfortunately) exposed.

Ryan is different as a lot of goalies are. He cried after a game.... so what? Being sensitive doesn't make him weird or a bad person. I'll take Ryan for 65 games + the playoffs over Jhonas any day of the week. It really bothers me how fast the majority of "true sabres fans" turned on Miller after a few bad starts. Blame the bums in front of him for getting burnt all game and the nonstop turnovers.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
First Enroth is not 5'11" and he looks like he has a beer gut. He has carried the team in a small sampling of games, many goalies have come into the league and had great starts to their careers(mason). The more Enroth plays the more his shortcomings will be (unfortunately) exposed.

Ryan is different as a lot of goalies are. He cried after a game.... so what? Being sensitive doesn't make him weird or a bad person. I'll take Ryan for 65 games + the playoffs over Jhonas any day of the week. It really bothers me how fast the majority of "true sabres fans" turned on Miller after a few bad starts. Blame the bums in front of him for getting burnt all game and the nonstop turnovers.
It's not turning on him. It's not about a few bad starts. It's the addition of failures since the Bruins series, to the bad 10-11 season, to having the 10-11 season rescued by Enroth, to the choking in the Flyers series, to the piss poor play this year before getting injured again. Compounded by attitude and health problems...

Old
11-29-2011, 01:04 PM
michaelsaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post

Korn is more flexible and works to make each goalie the best within their natural style. Whereas the Allaires have their blocking style of play and they try and hammer square pegs in round holes.

I think that's a part of why Gustavsson has struggled in Toronto.

Who scouted Vokoun and Rinne?

Korn has to OK every goalie that the Preds draft.

Korn has hit so many times, I find it hard to be all good luck.

I also have read up on the position a ton, and Mitch is a guy that I believe is really, really good at what he does. And others in the industry agree.
One thing I don't understand about this though, is that if Korn is so influential that he has to OK every goalie drafted (which I am not doubting, he's an amazing coach), wouldn't they have solicited his advice before giving Rinne the contract. Isn't it possible, Korn thinks Rinne is worth that contract, and by extension there are some goalies worth bigger contracts even in today's NHL?

Old
11-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:

You're off to an awesome start here at HF. Keep it up.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:14 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
It's not turning on him. It's not about a few bad starts. It's the addition of failures since the Bruins series, to the bad 10-11 season, to having the 10-11 season rescued by Enroth, to the choking in the Flyers series, to the piss poor play this year before getting injured again. Compounded by attitude and health problems...
Talk about revisionist history there Jame. Do you really believe all that? If you do, it's mind-boggling. It explains a lot, but it's mind-boggling all the same.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsaas View Post
One thing I don't understand about this though, is that if Korn is so influential that he has to OK every goalie drafted (which I am not doubting, he's an amazing coach), wouldn't they have solicited his advice before giving Rinne the contract. Isn't it possible, Korn thinks Rinne is worth that contract, and by extension there are some goalies worth bigger contracts even in today's NHL?
Rinne is getting that ridiculous coin so that Weber and Suter re-sign. I doubt Korn had any input what so ever.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Talk about revisionist history there Jame. Do you really believe all that? If you do, it's mind-boggling. It explains a lot, but it's mind-boggling all the same.
yup, and i believe it applies to the rochester core as well and lindy ruff as well...

but hey, failure is ok in Buffalo... as long as you have a vezina winning goalie and a jack adam's coach... it's clearly everyone elses fault.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:18 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
yup, and i believe it applies to the rochester core as well and lindy ruff as well...

but hey, failure is ok in Buffalo... as long as you have a vezina winning goalie and a jack adam's coach... it's clearly everyone elses fault.
That's fine. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to take you seriously on this subject anymore. Thanks for confirming that.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:19 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsaas View Post
http://thegoalieguild.com/2011/11/ch...inne-lindback/

I don't know how much influence Mitch had on that decision.

And if he did agree with the deal, then I'd disagree with him.

On a side topic, here is Mitch on what he looks for in a prospect:

http://ingoalmag.com/interviews/ask-...at-mitch-korn/

Quote:
InGoal subscriber James Weise asks: “How have the attributes that you want in a prospect changed in the time that you have been in the NHL? Is height being stressed now a lot more than in the past?”

Mitch Korn: “I used to talk about flexibility. Now I talk about contort-ability. You see I think a lot of the lower body flexibility, the need for it in standard situations has somewhat disappeared because of the pads. And they wear them loose and they rotate on their leg, and I don’t think they need the kind of flexibility they used to need in ordinary situations. But in special situations the ability to contort is still valuable, and there is no piece of equipment that can make a guy be flexible enough to contort in scramble situations.

“Now let’s look at this question for what it is. What’s changed? The first, most important thing is it’s still skill. It’s always been skill. Skill is the single most important thing. The second most important thing is the understanding that it is a game of square footage. And because of traffic and redirects and the speed of the game and the precision of the shots, size has become a factor. Square footage. Now you need to find, and we are finding, guys that are big and skilled. Traditionally the smaller guys were a little more skilled than the bigger guys, and the bigger guys were a little slower, a little more cumbersome than the smaller guys. But that’s not true anymore. So what are we looking for now? We’re looking for the most-skilled, biggest guy we can find.”

Old
11-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
That's fine. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to take you seriously on this subject anymore. Thanks for confirming that.
my position wasn't clear to you before?

anyways, you are welcome!

Old
11-29-2011, 01:45 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
"Bad 10-11 season". Yeah right. The season where the players named him MVP.

I'll tell you this, if Miller played to Enroth's save % last year, the Rangers and Hurricanes games wouldn't have meant a thing, because Buffalo would have been too far down the standings already.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
"Bad 10-11 season". Yeah right. The season where the players named him MVP.

I'll tell you this, if Miller played to Enroth's save % last year, the Rangers and Hurricanes games wouldn't have meant a thing, because Buffalo would have been too far down the standings already.
[yawn] I bet the players named Cam Ward the MVP of the Hurricanes last year...

Old
11-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Clock

OK, not much of a difference between this thread and the GCT at this point, so let's take it to the GCT. We'll start a new thread if there's any news of substance citing that Miller wants out.

Closed Thread