HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Andreas Nodl Claimed by Carolina

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2011, 03:11 PM
  #251
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
It doesn't mean that nobody called though. It just means you couldn't come to an agreement. Maybe we didn't want to trade Nodl to, say, Pittsburgh. All you have to say is "we made a few calls but were unable to work anything out, so we decided to give him an opportunity on waivers."
Absolutely true.

And just because he didn't say that doesn't mean it didn't happen exactly like that.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:14 PM
  #252
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,649
vCash: 156
Well, what he did say very strongly implies that he didn't try to do that. What he says tells us that waiving him was his way of gauging interest. Why exactly would he say something like that if it isn't true, especially since it makes him look dumb? Knowing Homer that's exactly what he did, and he accidentally let it slip to the press...much like his disastrous partying comments which led to the media crusade against Richards.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:15 PM
  #253
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I can honestly see a situation in which Holmgren called around and simply got nothing.
I think the worst GM in the league could deduce that Holmgren pretty much had no leverage..frankly if Holmgren even picked up the phone he should have saved himself the reflex action especially considering his bike riding prowess

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:15 PM
  #254
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Problem is he only owes one guy an explanation. He's under no obligation to really say anything to any of us or the media. He just gave a Rasheed Wallace "both teams tried hard".

Bug the phones, then youll get the real "Nodl behind the scenes".
But he DOES say something. He didn't have to say they were "gauging interest", but he did. My point is, he IS talking, and he is saying things that make no sense.

Say nothing at all, or explain yourself; and if you explain yourself, Id like for it to make sense.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:16 PM
  #255
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
We certainly are that player unfriendly. We ran Gagne out of town, and then signed Richards and Carter to organization friendly contracts before shafting them (one harder than the other) and trading them off. Trying to find a trade partner, failing, and publicly saying so is much better overall than those three instances.
Being poor to 18 and 17 would have been coming out and publicly stating the real reason(s) they dumped them. Instead they pulled the "good hockey deal" card. The truth will never be told by the higher up flyer brass...but it absolutely goes past on ice performance.
I do believe when those deals were made PH thought they were the cornerstones of this team.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:17 PM
  #256
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest
We traded Powe in the offseason. Completely different situation. No one is desperate in the offseason.
You're argument cuts both ways.

On this particular statement, in the offseason there are also more options available, making it easier to hope to pass on the deal and grab someone else. During the season, there arent exactly gobs and gobs of Nodl-esque players hitting the wire. This should have made him a bit more of a commodity in a market without a ton of activity

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:23 PM
  #257
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
But he DOES say something. He didn't have to say they were "gauging interest", but he did. My point is, he IS talking, and he is saying things that make no sense.

Say nothing at all, or explain yourself; and if you explain yourself, Id like for it to make sense.
But that's Holmgren..he may have a poker face but he forgets he has a mouth...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:23 PM
  #258
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
On the plus side it's an extra contract off the books

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:25 PM
  #259
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Well, what he did say very strongly implies that he didn't try to do that. What he says tells us that waiving him was his way of gauging interest. Why exactly would he say something like that if it isn't true, especially since it makes him look dumb? Knowing Homer that's exactly what he did, and he accidentally let it slip to the press...much like his disastrous partying comments which led to the media crusade against Richards.
I'll assume you know Holmgren as much as me (ie not at all). Neither of us will get the true story on this (or on many) of PHs actions. Media quotes are really not worth a whole lot.

And 18 shot himself in the foot enough on his own.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:27 PM
  #260
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Absolutely true.

And just because he didn't say that doesn't mean it didn't happen exactly like that.
I agree, and that's my point.

I don't think anyone should ASSUME we could have gotten something for Nodl. I don't think anyone should ASSUME that Homer called around first. Everyone around here chastises everyone else for making assumptions, yet those people are making the some sort of assumptions but on the other side of the argument.

My entire point is, REGARDLESS OF WHAT DID OR DIDN'T HAPPEN...that Homer said the words "gauging interest" and that makes zero sense. None. At all. It is flat out stupid. So he was either talking out of his ass, or he is an idiot.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:27 PM
  #261
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
You're argument cuts both ways.

On this particular statement, in the offseason there are also more options available, making it easier to hope to pass on the deal and grab someone else. During the season, there arent exactly gobs and gobs of Nodl-esque players hitting the wire. This should have made him a bit more of a commodity in a market without a ton of activity
That's true, but it would appear that the Wild wanted him for whatever reason. That's the guy they wanted, and a deal they thought was fair.

Also, what is a Nodl type player?

At this point, I just don't see him as being anything more than a 4th liner. At least he hasn't shown the ability to be any more than that. I thought he had potential at one point, but he has been passed by several other players this year. I mean I can think of like 4 Nodl-esque players on our team/Phantoms alone.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:29 PM
  #262
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I agree, and that's my point.

I don't think anyone should ASSUME we could have gotten something for Nodl. I don't think anyone should ASSUME that Homer called around first. Everyone around here chastises everyone else for making assumptions, yet those people are making the some sort of assumptions but on the other side of the argument.

My entire point is, REGARDLESS OF WHAT DID OR DIDN'T HAPPEN...that Homer said the words "gauging interest" and that makes zero sense. None. At all. It is flat out stupid. So he was either talking out of his ass, or he is an idiot.
Totally agree.
I'm in the talking out of his ass camp.

One of my best friends works in PR. He says cryptic non sensical stuff all the time, then tells me and we have a good laugh.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:34 PM
  #263
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Totally agree.
I'm in the talking out of his ass camp.

One of my best friends works in PR. He says cryptic non sensical stuff all the time, then tells me and we have a good laugh.
So if he was talking out of his ass, there is nothing wrong with people criticizing him for doing so.

Some people, like most on this board, care enough about the inner workings of the team to want to know the minute details of the GM's actions. What else do I have to go on other than what the GM says to me? It is not my fault that he is talking out of his ass. I have to take what he says, at face value, because there is nothing else to go by. I don't make assumptions.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:34 PM
  #264
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
But he DOES say something. He didn't have to say they were "gauging interest", but he did. My point is, he IS talking, and he is saying things that make no sense.

Say nothing at all, or explain yourself; and if you explain yourself, Id like for it to make sense.
Yeah, that quote makes no sense, I agree with that.

I'm fairly certain that it's been known among NHL GM's for a while that Nödl could be had from the Flyers, and what Homer was asking for. Anytime a guy is passed on the depth chart by two rookies, the writing is on the wall for him. No one was too interested, but there was no reason to sell low, so we hold on to Nödl for the time being and see what happens as we draw closer to trade deadline. Then we're hit with the Pronger injury, and Homer decides that he needs to shed a contract, if only to have the option to add more d depth.

Now it's clear to all the other teams that we have to do something like that, so the interest in giving up something for a guy like Nödl can't be that high. The only way really is to see if there is one team that won't take the chance of Nödl falling all the way down the waiver wire to reach them, but apparently no team was desperate enough to get him.

The only other way to get around this problem would be to do something along the lines of Rowe+5th for future considerations... and we would ***** about that as well.

Or, we could try to not be up to the contract limit. Guess that would be the Kessel signing we should ***** about, then.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:35 PM
  #265
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I'll assume you know Holmgren as much as me (ie not at all). Neither of us will get the true story on this (or on many) of PHs actions. Media quotes are really not worth a whole lot.

And 18 shot himself in the foot enough on his own.
This is awesome.

In one sentence, you confirm that (like the rest of us) you don't know Holmgren. And yet in the very next paragraph, you infer that you know everything that went on in front and behind the scenes with Richards.

Well done.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:37 PM
  #266
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Everyone around here chastises everyone else for making assumptions, yet those people are making the some sort of assumptions but on the other side of the argument.
Yup...on that same note personally Holmgren is not that difficult to figure out if one is astute at reading between the lines and isn't doing so on purely ideological grounds. Again..when he uses hyperbole and feigns outrage to me it's pretty clear he is trying to hide something. I won't say he outright lies as I've clarified in the past but he def tells half-truths and does so pretty badly thus I don't think there is anything wrong when people engage in inferring what might be true and what is not. What is wrong is when people hypocritically attack others for doing so just bc they are sensitive on a particular subject....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:37 PM
  #267
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I agree, and that's my point.

I don't think anyone should ASSUME we could have gotten something for Nodl. I don't think anyone should ASSUME that Homer called around first. Everyone around here chastises everyone else for making assumptions, yet those people are making the some sort of assumptions but on the other side of the argument.

My entire point is, REGARDLESS OF WHAT DID OR DIDN'T HAPPEN...that Homer said the words "gauging interest" and that makes zero sense. None. At all. It is flat out stupid. So he was either talking out of his ass, or he is an idiot.
Maybe he was gauging the interest in Nodl to set a reference level of interest in players like Nodl because he may be interested in trading for/away another player of similar interest so he was testing the interest of the interested teams in the league?

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:40 PM
  #268
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Maybe he was gauging the interest in Nodl to set a reference level of interest in players like Nodl because he may be interested in trading for/away another player of similar interest so he was testing the interest of the interested teams in the league?
This is an interesting theory

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:40 PM
  #269
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Maybe he was gauging the interest in Nodl to set a reference level of interest in players like Nodl because he may be interested in trading for/away another player of similar interest so he was testing the interest of the interested teams in the league?
Very Rumsfeldian....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:46 PM
  #270
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Maybe he was gauging the interest in Nodl to set a reference level of interest in players like Nodl because he may be interested in trading for/away another player of similar interest so he was testing the interest of the interested teams in the league?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
This is an interesting theory
Damnit you beat me to it!

I was just gonna go with "Interesting...".

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:49 PM
  #271
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Yeah, that quote makes no sense, I agree with that.

I'm fairly certain that it's been known among NHL GM's for a while that Nödl could be had from the Flyers, and what Homer was asking for. Anytime a guy is passed on the depth chart by two rookies, the writing is on the wall for him. No one was too interested, but there was no reason to sell low, so we hold on to Nödl for the time being and see what happens as we draw closer to trade deadline. Then we're hit with the Pronger injury, and Homer decides that he needs to shed a contract, if only to have the option to add more d depth.

Now it's clear to all the other teams that we have to do something like that, so the interest in giving up something for a guy like Nödl can't be that high. The only way really is to see if there is one team that won't take the chance of Nödl falling all the way down the waiver wire to reach them, but apparently no team was desperate enough to get him.

The only other way to get around this problem would be to do something along the lines of Rowe+5th for future considerations... and we would ***** about that as well.

Or, we could try to not be up to the contract limit. Guess that would be the Kessel signing we should ***** about, then.
Oh trust me, I totally understand the rationale (or at least the potential rationale) behind this move. I honestly am not the slightest bit upset with it.

The only thing that bothers me is what was said. Say nothing or say something that makes sense. If you say nothing, I can go ahead and at least rationalize it to myself using the arguments you've laid out; but when he says what he said I just go "......wtf?"

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:49 PM
  #272
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,270
vCash: 500
Interestingly enough, I think the one thing we can all agree on is we'd be interested to know what really happened.


I'll stop now.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 04:01 PM
  #273
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
This is awesome.

In one sentence, you confirm that (like the rest of us) you don't know Holmgren. And yet in the very next paragraph, you infer that you know everything that went on in front and behind the scenes with Richards.

Well done.
Do you mean in another post? Because my second sentence here says that Richards did enough to damage his media relationship without any assistance from PH.

And I don't need to get a legal document confirmation that there was more to "the trades" than "it's a hockey deal to improve the team" party line.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 04:03 PM
  #274
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Very Rumsfeldian....
The plot thickens...

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 04:07 PM
  #275
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Morgantown PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
I thought in 2007 Snider said that we will not trade our young players for old players. I guess he meant we will give our players away for nothing.
I think he was talking about the good ones

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.