HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Prospect thread 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2011, 12:05 AM
zharkenby

vCash: 500
Devil fan Coming in peace...

I was at the BU Cornell game and let me tell you... you guys have a gem in matthew Nieto. The guy dangles up and down the ice whenever he has the puck. Hes a little lazy on Defense but has the skillset to become an offensive dynamo in the NHL. Although he had no points, he was the only noticeable player on the ice. Great pick by the sharks

Old
11-27-2011, 12:20 AM
Sharksfan83

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zharkenby View Post
Devil fan Coming in peace...

I was at the BU Cornell game and let me tell you... you guys have a gem in matthew Nieto. The guy dangles up and down the ice whenever he has the puck. Hes a little lazy on Defense but has the skillset to become an offensive dynamo in the NHL. Although he had no points, he was the only noticeable player on the ice. Great pick by the sharks

YES! We have ONE forward prospect who someone else other then a Sharks fan, sees as MAYBE a potential top 6 player!

Our best forward prospects are all 'This guy may become a vaulable NHL 3rd liner!"

Old
11-27-2011, 01:30 AM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
YES! We have ONE forward prospect who someone else other then a Sharks fan, sees as MAYBE a potential top 6 player!

Our best forward prospects are all 'This guy may become a vaulable NHL 3rd liner!"

Sgarbossa and Hamilton certainly have top 6 potential. Sgarbossa in particular has some great offensive assets (very good speed, great stickhandling and an above average shot).

Crane has some great numbers this year. Almost as impressive as Nieto's.

Aaaannnd Connolly is doing very well in the AHL as a rookie.

Old
11-27-2011, 01:48 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
As long as one of them is the next Gretzky, we're all good guys. It's about quality, not quantity.

Old
11-27-2011, 04:19 AM
matt trick

My top 10 prospects (no goalies)

1. Justin Braun- 7.5B: Good two-way d-man with ability to get his point shot through. Good skating ability, good first pass, generally effective in the defensive zone. Can have a tendency to lose his man at the NHL level. Could provide significantly more physicality given his size. It is fair to say that is not Braun’s game, but he is capable of adding that to his repertoire. I expect him to vastly improve on the defensive zone, and become a critical part of the team’s offense on the backend. Career Potential: #3 d-man. NHL comparison: Sami Salo

2. Matthew Nieto- 7.5C: Speedy, shifty offensive threat. Nieto offers his team a wide arsenal of offensive ability. The most obvious asset Nieto offers his speed, and in particular his ability to handle the puck while shifting gears or while blazing down the outside. Kid has some impressive mitts and unlike typical shark prospects, he is dangerous on the dangle. He also displays quality vision on the ice and has proven to be a skilled playmaker. Nieto has been primarily seen as a playmaker, but has increased his goalscoring ratio this year. This may have be in part due to playing with former shark prospect Charlie Coyle, though internal growth improvement is also evident. Nieto typically doesn’t shy away from the corners, but may require improvement to see time at the NHL level. Luckily Nieto appears to have grown an inch or two since being drafted, leaving him at a barely undersized 5’11, though another inch or two wouldn’t hurt. Like many offensively skilled prospects, Nieto could stand to improve defensively. I’d say he is currently beyond Setoguchi’s level (when leaving junior), but well below the level of Couture or Pavelski. It is unlikely he will match their level even with excellent development. Career Potential: High quality 2nd line forward. NHL comparison: David Perron (he should avoid Joe at next year’s camp)

3. Michael Sgarbossa- 7.0 C: Speedy, gritty goal scorer. Sgarbossa is pretty much everything you could want in a forward prospect. He is an offensive threat with speed, dangle, and willingness to drive to the net, and he has immense heart and grit, with adequate defensive play. What once appeared to be a solid pick up for long term depth may become one of the Sharks biggest steals. Sgarbossa exploded offensively after trading to Sunbury, but also plays a fairly complete game that would fit on some of the league’s best third lines. Throughout his career he has been annoying to play against, and even if the offense doesn’t come, he should be able to carve out a Jed Ortmeyer type career. Career Potential: High end third liner that can fit on a second line. NHL comparison: Steve Ott but much less of a dick.

4. Nick Petrecki- 6.5B: Bone-rattling defensive d-man with leadership. Most hfsharks are familiar with Nick after nearly 5 years in the system. Solid defensively, leader, and punishing are three of the most common phrases to decribe the Boston College product. Petrecki’s skating is adequate, his size and physicality excellent. What remains to be seen is if he can build on these attributes while also developing a quality first pass, and more importantly an ability to hold NHL power forwards off the scoresheet. He’s learned to play within himself and has appeared to focus on playing within himself- rather than utilizing brute strength to pummel everyone- which is as easy at the AHL level (and certainly won’t be at the NHL level; see Lucic, Milan or Clowe, Ryane for further elaboration).

5. Taylor Doherty- 8.0 D- : Doherty is 6’8 and can skate. That’s a hell of a start. Unfortunately, being massive and mobile is not a one-way ticket to the NHL. Doherty has also shown he has some offensive potential by putting up some major numbers while on Kingston’s OHL squad. However, putting up points in juniors is very different than doing so in the NHL. In addition to continuing to develop his offensive game, Doherty must prove himself capable of being a solid defender. If he does this with huge reach and poke checks (like Hal Gill) that’s fine, if he does by bringing the pain (like a lesser Pronger) that’d be spectacular. At 6’8 220 he should be able to consistently wreck guys, but that is a choice he’ll must make himself. Doherty has a very long way to go, and is undeniably a project, but it’s a gamble that could really pay off, but the payoff is down the line. Doherty has both the highest potential among sharks prospects and IMO the greatest likelihood of disappointing sharks’ fans in a big way. Longshot potential: All around #2 d-man. Likely potential: #4-6 d-man or bust. NHL comparison: Braydon Coburn/better skating Hal Gill/less physical Boris Valabik.

6. Freddie Hamilton- I’ll write this one later.

7. Mike Connolly- 7.5 D- : Like Doherty Mike Connolly can skate. He is also nearly a foot and a half shorter. Connolly has excellent offensive instincts and would be behind only Nieto for most offensively skilled forward prospect. He is an excellent playmaker with a sneaky wrist shot and shows great craftiness when up a man. He has solid dangles, awesome vision, quick feet (and a brain to match), and a pretty dirty wrister. Unfortunately, he is fairly tiny and will have to prove that he can either take punishment or adequately avoid it to avoid becoming one more in a line of the NHLs too small. Career Potetial: Top 6/9 on a scoring line or bust. NHL comparison: Nathan Gerbe or Ryan Vesce.

8. Matt Irwin 6.5 B- All around d-man with some solid offensive instincts/surefire Norris winner. Ask Kitten Mittons for more detailed info/ every day Matt Irwin chants to incorporate into your life.

9. Marek Viedensky- 6.5 B- Excellent two-way third line center that can give opposing forwards fits. Offers some offensive ability and good defense, with the ideal body for a third line shutdown center. Will need to continue to improve defensively (he is already quite solid) and add speed to become a true defensive menace). Career potential: Two-way third line center/lock down center. NHL comparison: Martin Hanzal (please god)/Michael Handzus. Its no secret I am a big fan of this kid. His offensive game blossomed last year, but he can be a rock defensively when he wants to be.

10. Tommy Wingels- 6.0 B- Solid third liner who can offer some scoring. Wingels brings above average just about everything, but could stand to improve in all areas. His speed and shot are NHL caliber, while defense, hockey IQ, playmaking, and dangling are currently average or less. However, he is still fairly young and has a lot of area for growth. I could easily see him developing into a quality third liner, and his clutch college scoring presents a certain amount of intrigue, but Wingels needs to either become rock solid defensively or dramatically increase his scoring ability to earn NHL time. Becoming an exceptional penalty killer could b the single best thing he could to improve his chances. Career potential: Bottom 6 forward with offensive pop. NHL comparison: Pascal Dupuis.

HM: Konral Abeltshauser/Brandon Mashinter- quality depth players who could earn top 6/ top 4 time with development. Mashinter offers NHL size physicality and fighting, but the package is greater still. Can he make the jump to a 4th line that can also score.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:51 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
My top 10 prospects (no goalies)

3. Michael Sgarbossa- 7.0 C: Speedy, gritty goal scorer. Sgarbossa is pretty much everything you could want in a forward prospect. He is an offensive threat with speed, dangle, and willingness to drive to the net, and he has immense heart and grit, with adequate defensive play. What once appeared to be a solid pick up for long term depth may become one of the Sharks biggest steals. Sgarbossa exploded offensively after trading to Sunbury, but also plays a fairly complete game that would fit on some of the league’s best third lines. Throughout his career he has been annoying to play against, and even if the offense doesn’t come, he should be able to carve out a Jed Ortmeyer type career. Career Potential: High end third liner that can fit on a second line. NHL comparison: Steve Ott but much less of a dick.

HM: Konral Abeltshauser/Brandon Mashinter- quality depth players who could earn top 6/ top 4 time with development. Mashinter offers NHL size physicality and fighting, but the package is greater still. Can he make the jump to a 4th line that can also score.
Good list and analysis - maybe you should start writing the prospect updates for the Sharks

I don't know that I agree with the order - and the reason I left Sgarbossa in the quote is becuase of your last sentence...this year, he's toned down the agitating but trust me, the guy can be as big of a dick as Steve Ott and I think he's going to have to bring that part of his game back when he turns pro.

I also think Abseltshauser is the biggest "boom or bust" prospect that the Sharks have. He has the size & skill set to be a very good top 4 d-man, a higher ceiling than both Petrecki and Doherty. However, the chances of him doing that are ??? From what I've seen of him this season, he's been fantastic on both ends of the ice.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:11 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
I'd put Braun as a 7.0B, and Connolly as a 7.0D. I don't see that much upside there.

Old
11-27-2011, 01:26 PM
ThorntonFan19

Id put Abeltshauser ahead of wingels

Old
11-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Arrch

Saw Heemskerk last night. Gave up a brutal goal where he mishandled the puck behind the net.

Old
11-28-2011, 10:42 AM
stalockrox

Freddie Hamilton's been invited to the Canada WJC final selection camp - no Sgarbossa.

Here's the full roster:

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...3/ss_id/56000/

Old
11-28-2011, 01:26 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Freddie Hamilton's been invited to the Canada WJC final selection camp - no Sgarbossa.

Here's the full roster:

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...3/ss_id/56000/
Aw, poor Pirate (Not that he stood a chance, but still).

Old
11-29-2011, 01:14 PM
ThorntonFan19

Kinda surprising to me that they took Hamilton over Sgarbossa.

Ive always thought Sgarbossa was the better player, but if they are looking for a 3rd/4th line candidate Hamilton probably fits the role better.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Kitten Mittons

Hamilton has better stats this season.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:53 PM
magic school bus

Awesome. I'll have someone to root for on both sides of USA/CAN.

Hopefully the brothers story gets Freddie on TC. Dougie has to be a lock.

Old
11-29-2011, 02:11 PM
magic school bus

We get bashed a lot for falling in love with prospects pre-draft, but we were all over Dougie Hamilton and he looks great.

*Yes, I'm patting myself on the back. I can pump my tires too.

Old
11-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

I'm rooting for Sgarbossa purely for his last name. Plus I want to be able to say we have a pirate on our 3rd/4th lines.

Old
11-29-2011, 03:05 PM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Hamilton has better stats this season.
Sgarbossa Pt/GP: 1.39

Hamilton Pt/GP: 1.38

Sgarbossa also has 3 more goals in 3 less games. And Sgarbossa has almost no help from his teammates, while Hamilton has his brother, Strome, Agozzino, Pacan and Friesen boosting his stats.

Sooo id say sgarbossa's numbers are more impressive

Old
11-29-2011, 03:32 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
Sgarbossa Pt/GP: 1.39

Hamilton Pt/GP: 1.38

Sgarbossa also has 3 more goals in 3 less games. And Sgarbossa has almost no help from his teammates, while Hamilton has his brother, Strome, Agozzino, Pacan and Friesen boosting his stats.

Sooo id say sgarbossa's numbers are more impressive
Sgarbossa has been very good this season, but right now Hamilton's two way game is better and I'd imagine TC is looking at him for a checking role.

I'm still not sure he'll make the team, but would be very happy if he did.

I think the US will be announcing their camp sometime next week - I would think that Nieto has played well enough to earn an invite but I don't know that he'll make the team, the US has a lot of talent on the LW and Nieto would need to play in the top 6 to be effective. Zucker is pretty much a lock, then there's Etem, Miller, Saad, Agostino, Prince...maybe the chemistry he and Coyle have will help give him the edge.

Old
11-29-2011, 06:43 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Sgarbossa has been very good this season, but right now Hamilton's two way game is better and I'd imagine TC is looking at him for a checking role.

I'm still not sure he'll make the team, but would be very happy if he did.

I think the US will be announcing their camp sometime next week - I would think that Nieto has played well enough to earn an invite but I don't know that he'll make the team, the US has a lot of talent on the LW and Nieto would need to play in the top 6 to be effective. Zucker is pretty much a lock, then there's Etem, Miller, Saad, Agostino, Prince...maybe the chemistry he and Coyle have will help give him the edge.
I forgot to mention that Konrad Abeltshauser will join Germany for the world junior B pool tournament after Saturday's game. He'll miss 7 games for Halifax.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:09 PM
stalockrox

Posted link in the WorSharks thread instead...

Also, the US is set to announce it's camp invites for the WJC on Monday.

Old
12-02-2011, 06:13 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

CBS College Sports will have BU vs Boston College in 20 minutes if you want to see Nieto play tonite. (and Isaac MacLeod for BC)

12-02-2011, 07:06 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Nieto to Coyle, 1-0 BU 10 minutes in.

Old
12-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Sharksfan83

Does Nieto and Coyle resemble McGinn to Couture in the 67's? Where Couture progresses and McGinn was improved by playing with him in the Juniors?

Old
12-02-2011, 07:19 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
Does Nieto and Coyle resemble McGinn to Couture in the 67's? Where Couture progresses and McGinn was improved by playing with him in the Juniors?
Not at all.

Edit: Sorry, got distracted...I'll expand a bit. No doubt Coyle is a great player and he & Nieto have some pretty damn good chemsitry. But Nieto is very good on his own, speed, passing, great shot, he's been working hard on his two way game as well.

Last edited by stalockrox: 12-02-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old
12-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Kitten Mittons

Is there a stream somewhere?

Closed Thread