HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

TJ Oshie

Old
11-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Hutzler

vCash: 500
TJ Oshie

Is TJ Oshie ever going to become a 70 point guy?

Hutzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

vCash: 50
At this point, I say no

Falco Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Quaz

I think he would be if the Blues had a better offensive team. Right now he has to create his own scoring chances, and isn't getting much help. Since he has been with the Blues they have been a low scoring team. When the Blues have more scoring depth he'll put up more points. I could see this happening if Schwartz and Tarasenko become elite offensive players when they get to the NHL, and if Stewart gets his game back. The Blues are due for a hot streak offensively where they will start scoring a lot of goals. I think when Perron returns we will see a spark and the goal scoring will pick up. At the start of last season the line of Perron Backes Oshie was tearing it up and Oshie and Perron seemed to have really good chemistry. It's a shame they have not been able to play together since the injuries.

Quaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:52 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
I think Oshie was always going to be that 60 point, 2-way, high energy type player. He has been playing great with Backes and Steen and I would be perfectly happy if he becomes a consistent 60 point player. The talent is there and he has 9 points in 11 games so far in November, so it isn't unreasonable that in a few years he does become a 70 point player. However, Oshie's play on the ice and importance to this team is not dependent on how many points he scores, as he plays a complete game.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Robb_K

I think that Oshie has the skill to be a 70-point player during his peak years given the right linemates and Power Play time. When Perron returns, we'll see how the lines shake out.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 03:54 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

It's kind of a semantic question. Are you asking if he'll consistently hit 70+ points for a 5 to 8 year span? Or does he simply have to hit 70 points once to qualify?

I think he certainly has it in him to be a 70+ point guy at least a couple of times in his career, with most of his peak years being in the 60-70 point range. He's been a 55 point guy (per 82 games) since he joined the league, and I think his best years are still ahead of him. He's producing points at even strength at a career best rate this year (on pace for about 50 non-PP points). If he was producing at his career rate on the PP (which traditionally hasn't been very good for the Blues as a whole), then he would be on pace for about 62 points right now.

Give him significant time on a good PP through his peak years (and with the talent the Blues currently have developing, I could see them having a top 10 PP for an extended stretch down the road), and I don't think 70 points is out of the question at all.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Clay Squares

He's got the skill to hit 70 and I think he will get there a once or twice in his career, but I would expect him to average closer to 60-65.

This would also require him to stay healthy for an entire season, which is something he hasn't been able to do.

Clay Squares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Lucifer T Longfellow

I think that he can do it but I think that he will have to have a linemate who can bury the puck where he piles up the assists. I don't see him as a 35G 35A guy to get there but I do think he could get 25G and 45A for a year or so.

Lucifer T Longfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer T Longfellow View Post
I think that he can do it but I think that he will have to have a linemate who can bury the puck where he piles up the assists. I don't see him as a 35G 35A guy to get there but I do think he could get 25G and 45A for a year or so.
Oshie has the skill to score over 30 goals. I see him with a few years of 32-35g and 40-45a.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:58 PM
CCBC

Honestly, I don't think so.

This team is just chock full of potential, and without seeing one player finally realize his potential yet, it's hard to tell. I'm beginning to focus more so on actual production rather than potential.

If the Blues were a high-powered run and gun team, I could see 70. But they're not, they're a defensive first team and I just don't see a player putting up 70 points in this system. That was kinda Boyes' angle when he was shipped to Buffalo, he just said that the system wasn't one to put up tremendous amounts of points. And it's not. Perhaps it's because the Blues are such a balanced team with so much depth.

CCBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Herb25*

Its a possibility

Herb25* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:18 AM
h22prelude93

Don't know how many points Oshie is capable of, but he definitely has good tastes in women.

http://www.facebook.com/lccosgrove

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Lucifer T Longfellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Oshie has the skill to score over 30 goals. I see him with a few years of 32-35g and 40-45a.
I'm not saying that he can't score, he can. I just think that he his more of a playmaker/passer than a finisher and if he does get to 70pts I'm guessing that his totals will be assist heavy. But the caveat with that is that he needs a linemate to be the finisher and help him get the assists.

Lucifer T Longfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:50 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBC View Post
Honestly, I don't think so.

This team is just chock full of potential, and without seeing one player finally realize his potential yet, it's hard to tell. I'm beginning to focus more so on actual production rather than potential.

If the Blues were a high-powered run and gun team, I could see 70. But they're not, they're a defensive first team and I just don't see a player putting up 70 points in this system. That was kinda Boyes' angle when he was shipped to Buffalo, he just said that the system wasn't one to put up tremendous amounts of points. And it's not. Perhaps it's because the Blues are such a balanced team with so much depth.
Given 82 games, it's entirely reasonable for a player with top 6 skill to put up 35-50 even strength points regardless of what system is being used. The Blues had six players on pace to reach that threshold last year, with a seventh just missing. Beyond that, it's all about PP production. The top units on a team that has a ~24% PP are almost locks to generate another 20-35 PP points yearly. It's possible to put up that many PP points on a lesser unit as well, but certainly more challenging.

Oshie's on pace for 46 even strength points + shorthanded points this year (after being on pace for 42 such points last year), and 7 PP points. He obviously has all the skills to be a solid contributor on a top PP unit. All that's left is for one to actually materialize, either through evolution or acquisition, and chances are good Oshie's in for about a 70 point season.

Now, that may never happen, but it's certainly reasonable that it could happen at some point in the next 5 years or so.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote