HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruce Boudreau for Head Coach?

View Poll Results: Would you hire Bruce Boudreau to coach the Kings?
Yes - fire TM and bring in Boudreau 27 39.13%
No - Stay with TM as the head coach for the rest of the season 42 60.87%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Nose of Sutter

vCash: 500
I agree with everyone saying Granato and if TG is right that Tippet's contract is up at the end of the season then make a mad dash for him. And Telos Dineen is coaching Florida.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:18 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

For those of us who didn't get a chance to know Bruce when he was with the Kings I can tell you that he is one of the funniest people you could ever meet in hockey. The guy knows all the jokes and is a completely open book. He is one of those guys who you would never guess is involved in anything important but that to me is where he is most effective.

I am not certain that he would be my choice to man the Kings at this point but BB is a really great and passionate guy who eats and breathes hockey.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:52 AM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
I think it's time for a change but can't think of many candidates. What's the deal with Bob Boughner? Does he want to coach in the NHL?

Edit- Just saw above that he's the Sabres assistant. I always thought he wanted to remain in Jr? Guess I was wrong.
Oops edit he was with Columbus as an assistant last year but not sure where he is this year.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:54 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Bob would be a great hiring.

Old
11-29-2011, 02:08 AM
GraniteHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
For those of us who didn't get a chance to know Bruce when he was with the Kings I can tell you that he is one of the funniest people you could ever meet in hockey.
If you didn't get a chance to know him, how can you tell us he's one of the funniest people you could ever meet?

I have to believe he'd be a welcome change from TM.

The person who'd really have a good feel for how he'd be is Brown. He was coached by Boudreau the entire lockout season on that stacked Monarchs team with Cammalleri and co.

Old
11-29-2011, 02:20 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteHead View Post
If you didn't get a chance to know him, how can you tell us he's one of the funniest people you could ever meet?

I have to believe he'd be a welcome change from TM.

The person who'd really have a good feel for how he'd be is Brown. He was coached by Boudreau the entire lockout season on that stacked Monarchs team with Cammalleri and co.
Alright grammar police.

For those of YOU who didn't get a chance to meet Bruce I can tell you that he is one of the funniest people YOU could ever meet in hockey.

Better?

Old
11-29-2011, 04:20 AM
GraniteHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Alright grammar police.

For those of YOU who didn't get a chance to meet Bruce I can tell you that he is one of the funniest people YOU could ever meet in hockey.

Better?
I wasn't trying to be the grammar police. I read it a few times and had no idea if you'd met him or not. Thanks for the clarification.

Old
11-29-2011, 04:22 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

This from the Sharks' board after their loss to the Kings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
When it was announced that Boudreau was fired from the Washington Capitals, I was actually a bit surprised. Sure he did some questionable things this season and he might have been starting to lose the team, but I found this move to be more of a scapegoat/panic move than anything else. I mean the team was talented, they had started the season 7-0 and they are going to the playoffs? Why fire him now?

Well, this happened, and I actually started thinking about the Sharks and their Head coach. I find the situations in both Washington and San Jose a little similar in that both teams have a ton of talent, but they have a star player who isn't doing anything (Ovechkin for the Caps and I'd say Boyle for the Sharks), teams that have gotten off to some rocky starts, and two teams on paper with the talent to win a stanley cup but haven't been able to leap over the hurdle in the last 4 seasons.

With all the firings lately of head coaches, and the Sharks really not playing well the last three games in a row (The Kings game included), are we on that path where we could see a coaching change here? I'm not saying it's going to happen, and there is a part of me that hopes it doesn't happen, but I'm just throwing it out there for discussion. We all know the Sharks could be a whole lot better, and admittedly tonight they were missing some key components (Handzeus in particular) but I'm looking at this season and the way the Sharks have lost and I wonder if this is up for consideration. Heck, now that Boudreau is avaliable, could you (or would you want to) see him behind the Sharks bench this season or if the Sharks don't make it this year in the next offseason?
LOL!!! People in San Jose think the grass is greener somewhere else too. What a joke!

Old
11-29-2011, 12:43 PM
DaAnimal

God if we had BB as a Head Coach, no one would ever play D. He might as well convert JMFJ to a forward lolz.

I think I'll stick with TM for now. Its not like we are in last place. We are in one of the toughest divisions in the NHL. I guess the correct wording is "competitive."

Anywho if the Kings are looking for a head coach in the future, I honestly HONESTLY think Mark Morris deserves a shot in the NHL.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:50 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

I don't understand all the knocking on BB. Is it possible that BB tried to get the team to play better defense but Ovy was against it. I don't know much about WSH but they don't seem to have the type of players who would focus on defense.

Just a thought.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:51 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
God if we had BB as a Head Coach, no one would ever play D. He might as well convert JMFJ to a forward lolz.

I think I'll stick with TM for now. Its not like we are in last place. We are in one of the toughest divisions in the NHL. I guess the correct wording is "competitive."

Anywho if the Kings are looking for a head coach in the future, I honestly HONESTLY think Mark Morris deserves a shot in the NHL.
Agreed. Morris would bring the added benefit of having familiarity with some of the players, management and system, making a transition more easy to accomplish.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:54 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I don't understand all the knocking on BB. Is it possible that BB tried to get the team to play better defense but Ovy was against it. I don't know much about WSH but they don't seem to have the type of players who would focus on defense.

Just a thought.
The knock I think is solely his playoff record. In the last three years he pushed Pittsburgh to the maximum in round two, his team got robbed by Halak the next year and last year his team folded in round two against Tampa Bay.

The only one I can say is really his fault to any major degree is the series with Montreal. Halak or not, Washington should have beat Montreal.

I'm a big BB fan, but he does have his flaws. I'd still take him over TM.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Harold Snepsts

I'm surprised there's so many votes for Boudreau. TM has already accomplished nearly as much in the postseason, with a lot less talented squad.

I can see the potential need for change for the Kings to take the next step, but BB has done little to prove he's that guy.

Old
11-29-2011, 02:35 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepsts View Post
I'm surprised there's so many votes for Boudreau. TM has already accomplished nearly as much in the postseason, with a lot less talented squad.

I can see the potential need for change for the Kings to take the next step, but BB has done little to prove he's that guy.
Unless your team just won a Stanley Cup, the most popular coach during a losing streak or rough patch is the next coach.

I can't believe San Jose fans are wanting to axe McClellan at this point, but many of them do want him removed. It's funny because at the time he was hired in San Jose he was exactly the kind of coach that many here are wanting now, an assistant coach with a fresh approach.

I am not saying that Terry Murray will get the Kings to the ultimate prize, but he was necessary after the Crawford debacle in that he instilled discipline and a two-way game into players like Kopitar without all the yelling and screaming. Murray has been a good teacher for the young guys.

Old
11-29-2011, 02:58 PM
gonnaneedsomewine

Paul Maurice.

It was not his fault for how Carolina performed over the last two years -- it was the GM/management. He got a lot out of a talent deprived team, even making it to the ECF in 2009 as a #6 seed where they upset New Jersey and Boston. Is it his fault that Rutherford signed Kaberle and let Corvo walk? Is it his fault that Carolina's offense has severely lacked top 6 talent for a number of years?

Look at their current roster and ask yourself if any of those forwards besides Staal and Skinner would be in the top 6 on any other quality, contending NHL roster. He's never really had top flight offensive talent, even when he went to the Cup with Carolina back in the early 2000's, his best offensive players were a 38 year old Ron Francis and Sami Kapanen who had some good years under Maurice but fizzled out quickly when he went to Philly.

Old
11-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
This from the Sharks' board after their loss to the Kings:

LOL!!! People in San Jose think the grass is greener somewhere else too. What a joke!
It's always like that yeah. Your own player and coaches are always the worst. That's why there are so many ridiculous trade proposals where fans massively overpay a player who is only slightly better than the one they are trading away.

Old
11-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepsts View Post

Yup, as I said, I'd be looking at him only if TM is fired next summer. It's all about underachieving. Who is the bigger underachiever in last 3 seasons combined, Terry Murray or Bruce Boudreau? I think that's STILL BB, but that might change this season if Kings fail miserably in the playoffs.

Old
11-29-2011, 04:27 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnaneedsomewine View Post
Paul Maurice.

It was not his fault for how Carolina performed over the last two years -- it was the GM/management. He got a lot out of a talent deprived team, even making it to the ECF in 2009 as a #6 seed where they upset New Jersey and Boston. Is it his fault that Rutherford signed Kaberle and let Corvo walk? Is it his fault that Carolina's offense has severely lacked top 6 talent for a number of years?

Look at their current roster and ask yourself if any of those forwards besides Staal and Skinner would be in the top 6 on any other quality, contending NHL roster. He's never really had top flight offensive talent, even when he went to the Cup with Carolina back in the early 2000's, his best offensive players were a 38 year old Ron Francis and Sami Kapanen who had some good years under Maurice but fizzled out quickly when he went to Philly.
I'd gag if we hired Maurice.

Yes, Carolina's never had huge stars outside of Staal, but that can be said of other teams. Look at Nashville for example, their all-time leading goalscorer is David Legwand at 175, or an average of less than 15 goals per season. Yet Trotz gets his teams into the playoffs regularly, relying most years on the likes of Scott Walker, Cliff Ronning and J-P Dumont to lead the way. Maurice had one really nice playoff run 10 years ago. On the other hand, he's missing the playoffs eight times in his 12 full NHL seasons, including four of the last five years.

And no, I'm not advocating Trotz over Maurice, just stating a team can put up good win totals without a star offense. Paul Kariya is about the only star name to skate as a forward for Nashville, and he only did so for two years at the latter end of his career.

If we want to get someone just because they coached a team to a cup finals with little overall offensive talent outside of a few key players, let's just go get Craig MacTavish. At least his cup run was only five years ago.

If Maurice's lack of winning was limited to just this year or the past two years, I might agree with you, but he's I think 19 games over .500 in his career, and when you factor in overtime losses, he's actually well below .500.

I think Rutherford's done a pretty bad job too, but it couldn't have been all bad. Laviolette came in after Maurice and took a Rutherford built team to the cup the very next year. Laviolette was also 41 games over .500 in just over three full seasons with Carolina. At the same time, Maurice was busy missing the playoffs for two straight years in Toronto, a job btw he was being groomed for by coaching Toronto's farm squad during the lockout. That should have given hima bit of a leg up in getting to know a few of his players as well as the organization.

That'd be the same Toronto team that had Kaberle, so yes, Maurice had a big say in whether or not Rutherford should sign Kaberle since he coached him for two full years (two of the best years of Keberle's career as well, so you'd think he'd get more out of him in Carolina).

I think Maurice would be great to have on the coaching staff, but not leading it.

Old
11-29-2011, 04:31 PM
bbqallstar

The Great One...

Bring in Gretzky...

Old
11-29-2011, 04:34 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Unless your team just won a Stanley Cup, the most popular coach during a losing streak or rough patch is the next coach.

I can't believe San Jose fans are wanting to axe McClellan at this point, but many of them do want him removed. It's funny because at the time he was hired in San Jose he was exactly the kind of coach that many here are wanting now, an assistant coach with a fresh approach.

I am not saying that Terry Murray will get the Kings to the ultimate prize, but he was necessary after the Crawford debacle in that he instilled discipline and a two-way game into players like Kopitar without all the yelling and screaming. Murray has been a good teacher for the young guys.
I think SJ fans are suffering from a decade of cup dreams shattered by a lot of failures. I think that plays into it as they likely have little patience.

As for TM, I agree he was needed but he should have been hired when Crawford was as Crawford was a mistake. In a sense, we are two years behind in our coaching time line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Yup, as I said, I'd be looking at him only if TM is fired next summer. It's all about underachieving. Who is the bigger underachiever in last 3 seasons combined, Terry Murray or Bruce Boudreau? I think that's STILL BB, but that might change this season if Kings fail miserably in the playoffs.
It is BB, for now.

Old
11-29-2011, 04:45 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Ouch.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/...udreau/1956076

Old
11-29-2011, 04:52 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
That's Ovechkin's team, no doubt about it. I think a talented squad like that needs a drill instructor, placing a players coach in there is a recipe for disaster. As for who is going to coach the Kings next-is it just me or did there used to be a lot of good choices out there. Now I struggle to think of somebody who I know for sure will do a better job than Stone Face Murray.

Old
11-29-2011, 05:11 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
That's Ovechkin's team, no doubt about it. I think a talented squad like that needs a drill instructor, placing a players coach in there is a recipe for disaster. As for who is going to coach the Kings next-is it just me or did there used to be a lot of good choices out there. Now I struggle to think of somebody who I know for sure will do a better job than Stone Face Murray.
Somebody mentioned on our board that Tippet's contract runs out at the end of this season. And if true, I'm all over Tippet.

Old
11-29-2011, 05:42 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Somebody mentioned on our board that Tippet's contract runs out at the end of this season. And if true, I'm all over Tippet.
Tippet signed a Four year deal, Pretty sure he has One more year to go after this one. Since this season is only his third with PHX

Old
11-29-2011, 06:20 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Tippet signed a Four year deal, Pretty sure he has One more year to go after this one. Since this season is only his third with PHX
Correct. Tippet's contract expires in September of 2013.

- T

Closed Thread