HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

adult league hockey price for stick

Old
11-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Hugh Madbrough

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey36 View Post
Just buy a wood stick for $60 and call it a day. No one who plays for fun, "needs" a composite stick.
wood sticks cost 60$ now? sounds like a really bad investment.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:21 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I just picked up an x60 for $140 on clearance. I can't wait to try that thing out during a game.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:01 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

I just scooped a Reebok Ai9 and a Warrior Widow for $70.00 each from a guy I know who came into some sticks. Around here there are ways to acquire them at these discount prices.

The retail stickers on each stick were $289.99 and $269.99.

The difference between those two and a $100.00 composite is massive. The Ai9 is lighter than some pens I've owned.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:45 PM
shawn1331

I have used an S5 and a XXX lite most recently and to tell you the truth I prefer the S5 much more. The way I look at it, that stick was top of the line at ONE point or another right, so when you have a 3rd gen stick and someone has the new RS stealth its practically the same stick minus a few grams lower. Those super light noodly sticks put me off anyways cause I tend to break twigs alot. I guess I have a bad slapper technique cause they break on the wristers and passes. I guess they crack on the slappers and then that does them in.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:50 PM
AIREAYE

The S5 was and always will be an entry level stick; the bottom of the ladder. Dunno where you got that part from...

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:26 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1331 View Post
I have used an S5 and a XXX lite most recently and to tell you the truth I prefer the S5 much more. The way I look at it, that stick was top of the line at ONE point or another right, so when you have a 3rd gen stick and someone has the new RS stealth its practically the same stick minus a few grams lower. Those super light noodly sticks put me off anyways cause I tend to break twigs alot. I guess I have a bad slapper technique cause they break on the wristers and passes. I guess they crack on the slappers and then that does them in.
the s5 WAS NEVER a top line stick and NEVER WILL BE. if your spending less than 200 on a retail stick (excluding clearences) your not getting top line

as for the 30 those were garbage. i broke two within two weeks. i will say bauer has really addressed the durability issue with their sticks

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:10 AM
noobman

I've always just bought the Easton Stealth S5. It's a pretty decent sub-$100 stick. It doesn't have the best performance and is only marginally lighter than a woody, but it is affordable and durable. So far I've only broken one of them. I don't play league hockey any more so it's hard to justify spending a lot on anything other than skates. I try to do stick and puck once a week, then play pick up twice a week (once w/ university friends, one w/ work buddies).

If I ever break another S5, I'm going to consider getting the Synergy ST, just to see what it's like using a high-end stick.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The ST isn't a high end stick at all...just durable. I'd spring for a clearance high end stick.

And it all depends on your disposable income and how often you break them, not where you play. If you've got the cash and only buy one per year and skate several times a month, why not?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:57 AM
ephmrl
#tanknation

Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl
Luckily there's a stick repair guy near where i live so i can buy a repaired TotalOne or APX for 60 bucks.

ephmrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:06 AM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The ST isn't a high end stick at all...just durable. I'd spring for a clearance high end stick.

And it all depends on your disposable income and how often you break them, not where you play. If you've got the cash and only buy one per year and skate several times a month, why not?
I dunno... I tihnk the ST is what's left of the origional Synergy Elite type of stick, and alot of players still ike the low kick point, and the feel...

I like it... I like it better than my buddy's S19, the blade feels better IMO

anyways I guess a decent wood stick is better than the bottom end $30 specials, but if you get to the point where you're lookinat a Easton S7+, X20+, T50+, etc... etc.. those stick will be more durable than a wood stick

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:36 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

Don't STs run for around $180?

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They feel a lot heavier and stiffer than the old Synergies I've seen. They changed the ST quite a bit in the last couple years.

ST's seem to be on clearance all over for under $150, and there are still some 2009 ST's for a little over $100 some places.

The weirdest was EQ50's, there was a huge price drop and they went from ~$200 to ~$140-150 or so. I've seen intermediate EQ50's for $130, and there's not even a replacement due for a year.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 04:25 PM
aloyouis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Don't STs run for around $180?
Just purchased my son a new ST, Heatley pattern, mid cure, 5 lie for $89 last Friday. Also a pair of Bauer One 80 pants for $79.00.

My question for all of you is: I have on order a pair of Bauer Flexlite 4.0 size 9.5 that should be in this week. Cost is $309 if I take them home tonight. 20% off if I wait until December 13th to take them home so cost will be about $247 then.

Thoughts on the skate price?

Last edited by aloyouis: 11-30-2011 at 04:50 PM.
aloyouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Madbrough View Post
wood sticks cost 60$ now? sounds like a really bad investment.
The better ones do. You can get wood ones for much cheaper online if you are OK with a lower quality stick.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 05:29 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey36 View Post
The better ones do. You can get wood ones for much cheaper online if you are OK with a lower quality stick.
Everyone used to make a good quality wood stick, made of different laminates... But I don't know of any actual ones that are really good....

5030 is alright, 9950 is decent, but I remember Jofa and Easton used to have good woodies... Not so much anymore

Option, get a 2 piece, like an st shaft and get a wood blade...
You may have to replace it more often but you get the wood feed (vibration) and even if you chip it up from a face off... Just glue on a new one.

Old
11-30-2011, 07:36 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
the s5 WAS NEVER a top line stick and NEVER WILL BE. if your spending less than 200 on a retail stick (excluding clearences) your not getting top line

as for the 30 those were garbage. i broke two within two weeks. i will say bauer has really addressed the durability issue with their sticks
What does durability have to do with the high end stick...? I've broken 2 S19's and they were high end. S19's and XXXX break the easiest by FAR. As far as an S5 not being top of the line it had the exact same technology of the stealth elite just weighed a bit more. I prefer the weight anyways and it it's the same patterns and kick points then it's the same to me.

Old
11-30-2011, 07:40 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
What does durability have to do with the high end stick...? I've broken 2 S19's and they were high end. S19's and XXXX break the easiest by FAR. As far as an S5 not being top of the line it had the exact same technology of the stealth elite just weighed a bit more. I prefer the weight anyways and it it's the same patterns and kick points then it's the same to me.
The entry level models are supposed to be more durable because they have more fiberglass in them. The S5 does not have the same tech and the construction/materials/response/kick is nothing like the Synergy Elite, or any top-of-the-line Stealth, perhaps you just cannot notice the difference save for weight? Oh well, to each his own, just don't go around telling people that they're similar sticks because you couldn't be further from the truth.

Old
11-30-2011, 07:45 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
The entry level models are supposed to be more durable because they have more fiberglass in them. The S5 does not have the same tech and the construction/materials/response/kick is nothing like the Synergy Elite, or any top-of-the-line Stealth, perhaps you just cannot notice the difference save for weight? Oh well, to each his own, just don't go around telling people that they're similar sticks because you couldn't be further from the truth.
They are similar though is what I'm saying, yes I realize their more durable and more weight of course I know that. The kick point in the stealth elite(zetterberg was a big user of em) is exactly the same as the S5. Their at the same spot, mind you the stealth kicks harder and has a better realease but the same spot all the same.

The S5 was modeled after the elite. Kind of like how they have 2 mustangs, the mustang and the GT. The GT has all the extar goodies but the regular coupe mustang is a dialed back version.

Old
11-30-2011, 07:54 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
They are similar though is what I'm saying, yes I realize their more durable and more weight of course I know that. The kick point in the stealth elite(zetterberg was a big user of em) is exactly the same as the S5. Their at the same spot, mind you the stealth kicks harder and has a better realease but the same spot all the same.

The S5 was modeled after the elite. Kind of like how they have 2 mustangs, the mustang and the GT. The GT has all the extar goodies but the regular coupe mustang is a dialed back version.
fiberglass vs graphite for weight is the tradeoff with the high end sticks... then the technology, taper etc...

the ST has a coating of kevlar, makes it harder to cut as well

The S5 is a just a stick... may be durable, but it doesn't even compare in feel or weight to my S11, my ST and the S17 I broke and the S19

there is a big difference with high end graphite sticks vs low end fiberglass sticks and a whole pile in the middle.

that being said, people liked the X40 alot, and it was a mid-level stick.
It's supposed to have the multiple kick point technology like a TotalONE, but I can tell you first hand that the totalOne is a way better feeling stick.

that being said, I've seen people with S3s and S5 sticks just light up the goalie... at the end of the day, at our level of play... you're paying for feel
the performance is actually in your own hands

Old
11-30-2011, 08:17 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
fiberglass vs graphite for weight is the tradeoff with the high end sticks... then the technology, taper etc...

the ST has a coating of kevlar, makes it harder to cut as well

The S5 is a just a stick... may be durable, but it doesn't even compare in feel or weight to my S11, my ST and the S17 I broke and the S19

there is a big difference with high end graphite sticks vs low end fiberglass sticks and a whole pile in the middle.

that being said, people liked the X40 alot, and it was a mid-level stick.
It's supposed to have the multiple kick point technology like a TotalONE, but I can tell you first hand that the totalOne is a way better feeling stick.

that being said, I've seen people with S3s and S5 sticks just light up the goalie... at the end of the day, at our level of play... you're paying for feel
the performance is actually in your own hands
No totally the way I said it was defiantly not the best way to word it lol. I know about the different materials and weights. I used a total one and it didn't help my shot but the stick handling was awesome cause you could just feel the puck so well.

I play in rep and high school varsity and alot of us are using these "blue ice" hockey sticks which are just wicked. They come in 100 flex nano pro which is the exact same thing as an S19 but more durable for give or take a hundred bucks. Guy on our team goes to china and gets like 20 for $10 and he gets about 200 of em.

Old
11-30-2011, 08:25 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:

No they're not similar enough. You may feel that way and that's your opinion and that's fine; but don't come here claiming that they're basically the same stick when the only things they share is a similar paintjob and innovation/construction concept. -facepalm- Your analogy of the cars doesn't make sense either. They're both top-end vehicles; you might as well compare the S17 and the S5 to a Focus and a Mustang. Both Fords, but while the Mustang is a performance vehicle, the Focus simply does the job with nothing special.

What's a Stealth Elite...? Either way, although they're both supposed to be low-kick, the S5 won't respond to the kick as well as the S17. I'm willing to bet that if I were to blindfold you and give you an S5 (low) and a One55 (mid), you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Trust me on this one bud.

Old
11-30-2011, 08:28 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
No totally the way I said it was defiantly not the best way to word it lol. I know about the different materials and weights. I used a total one and it didn't help my shot but the stick handling was awesome cause you could just feel the puck so well.

I play in rep and high school varsity and alot of us are using these "blue ice" hockey sticks which are just wicked. They come in 100 flex nano pro which is the exact same thing as an S19 but more durable for give or take a hundred bucks. Guy on our team goes to china and gets like 20 for $10 and he gets about 200 of em.
Okay... I give up. If you like it then that's awesome and more power to you, but please don't go around telling people that.

Old
11-30-2011, 08:32 PM
hyster110

Quote:

the only similarity between the construction materials between the s5 and s19 is that they are both not made of wood. there is a reason that they are less than 100 bucks, because that are the cheapest to make and produce, they don;t have kickpoints, they just flex. as for your car example. the s19 is the dodge viper and the s5 is the dodge neon. only similarity is that they are cars. its the same with all stick under 100 dollars. they are not top of the line, they are made to last. the 300 dollar sticks are made to preform. stop with this "they are all the same" crap cause you obviously don't know a thing

Old
11-30-2011, 08:34 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Okay... I give up. If you like it then that's awesome and more power to you, but please don't go around telling people that.
maybe he just isn;t good enough to know what the difference is

Old
11-30-2011, 08:38 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
they actually are...the guy that owns the company used to work for easton. the only difference is instead of it being wrapped in kevlar theres no protection in it so they're kind of weak. I'm not kidding you, you can doubt me all you want but until you use one and compare them you'll never know. We have and we like the blue ice more.