Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possible 2012-13 Lines

Old
11-29-2011, 09:53 PM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
I think the Wild re-sign Brodziak for 3-years at 2 million/year. The guy wins too many puck battles to let go.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
It looks like Granlund, Larsson and Bulmer may be ready next year, especially Larsson and Granlund; in a sense, they've already had their AHL experience by playing euro men's leagues the last 2 years.

If they are as good as advertised, where do they fit, and who are the odd men out?

I could see:

Latendresse - Koivu - Granlund
Heatley - Cullen - Bouchard
Clutterbuck - Brodziak - Larsson
Gillies - Powe - Bulmer

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Coyle will almost definitely be with Houston as well ready to be called up.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:23 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
I liked Bulmer here, and I know some wild staff did as well. BUT he is a guy who will play a role we have options for. he will compete hard for a spot next year and maybe get one, but he won't be out of place or stuck in development starting in Houston IMO. Not at the NHL level, but he'll have plenty of decent practice playing his game in an environment that will test him where he can't really hone his agitator role in juniors (at his level vs. the competition). He might be good enough to play on the Wild, but with the other options we have and how they might fit I would think it most likely he starts with the Aeros and is one of the first call ups. Assuming roster stays more or less intact, of course. I still think it likely we see one or two of our top ten prospects dealt.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:35 PM
D U M B A

My prediction for off-season/free agency/2012-13 lines:

1. Latendresse is traded. Yeo isn't the type of guy who'll put up with out-of-shape players getting injured. Sorry Lats.

2. Bouchard probably is as well. I could see Fletch try to get something of value for him before he has another concussion. Think about Burns, he went from the offseason after Burns was hurt to getting an offer of David Krecji to waiting a year and getting Seto, Coyle, and Phillips. If Bouchard has a healthy productive year, they'll cash in.

3. Zidlicky looks like another culprit. Yeo having that long private chat with him and Fletcher knowing his no-trade comes off his contract after the half-way point of this year seems to me that'll he be next.

4. Brodziak will find another team after the year. If we're in the playoff hunt, I don't see us trading him unless it's a package for a quality defender. I like him (not as much as others but I do) but he has busted ass for us and someone will probably give him a substantial amount of money that we won't match.

5. I know they've talked him up in interviews but I can see Colton Gilles getting traded too. My pick on d is Falk (because he can't be sent down without being possibly claimed)

________

1. We don't sign Parise, Suter, or other big name free agents.

2. We re-sign Mike Lundin and Josh Harding.

3. We sign one mid-tier free agent forward and defenseman. (I'm assuming here that other defensive positions are filled via what we receive in trades)

4. We let Clayton Stoner, Kyle Brodziak, Greg Zanon, and Brad Staubitz sign elsewhere.

____

Granlund(2)-Koivu-Heatley
XXX-Granlund(1)-Setoguchi
Bulmer-Cullen-Clutterbuck
XXX-Powe-Johnson
XXX

Schultz-XXX
Scandella-Spurgeon
Lundin-XXX
Falk

Backstrom
Harding

(I don't want to guess who else will fill those XXX spots. I will explain my numbers after Granlund's name. I bet they'll try Granlund at center and if he ends up being poor at faceoffs, he goes to play on Koivu's wing.)

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
It looks like Granlund, Larsson and Bulmer may be ready next year, especially Larsson and Granlund; in a sense, they've already had their AHL experience by playing euro men's leagues the last 2 years.

If they are as good as advertised, where do they fit, and who are the odd men out?

I could see:

Latendresse - Koivu - Granlund
Heatley - Cullen - Bouchard
Clutterbuck - Brodziak - Larsson
Gillies - Powe - Bulmer
So after trading for him, we get rid of Seto just a year later? No. Latandresse and Brodziak are probably the odd men out due to their contracts expiring. Being as realistic as possible, I don't think the lines will change a whole lot for next year. Assuming guys like Lundin, Lats and Brodziak are re-signed I would expect the lines to look something like this with a couple ? as I'm sure at least a couple average players will be signed.

Heatley - Koivu - Butch
Latandresse - Granlund - Seto
Cullen - Brodziak - Clutter
Gillies - Powe - ?

Schultz - Zidlicky (unfortunately)
Lundin - Stoner
Scandella - Spurgeon

Backstrom
?

I would hope, however, that GMCF either makes a trade or signs a top pairing d-man but I'm not going to get my hopes up. We can't expect him to do everything we want as it's much easier to sit at a computer saying what they should do instead of actually doing it. I gotta think that Zanon is let go or traded at the deadline and I would think that GMCF would look to move Zids this coming off-season. The guy isn't what he use to be and he's not getting any younger. Better to get something for him while he has at least a little value yet.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Just to give us a little more insight on the lines situation I made this. The players named are either unlikely to be moved or won't be moved. All the question marks are spots that are potentially up for grabs between both current players and possible incoming players.

Heater - Koivu - Butch
Granlund - Cullen - Seto
? - ? - Clutter
? - Powe - ?

Schultz - ?
? - ?
Scandella - Spurgeon

Backstrom
?

There's a few current Wild players whose contracts aren't expiring after this year that I chose not to include as trading them wouldn't be a huge surprise. Guys like Zids and Gillies.

Old
11-29-2011, 10:55 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltesefalcon View Post
My prediction for off-season/free agency/2012-13 lines:

1. Latendresse is traded. Yeo isn't the type of guy who'll put up with out-of-shape players getting injured. Sorry Lats.

2. Bouchard probably is as well. I could see Fletch try to get something of value for him before he has another concussion. Think about Burns, he went from the offseason after Burns was hurt to getting an offer of David Krecji to waiting a year and getting Seto, Coyle, and Phillips. If Bouchard has a healthy productive year, they'll cash in.

3. Zidlicky looks like another culprit. Yeo having that long private chat with him and Fletcher knowing his no-trade comes off his contract after the half-way point of this year seems to me that'll he be next.

4. Brodziak will find another team after the year. If we're in the playoff hunt, I don't see us trading him unless it's a package for a quality defender. I like him (not as much as others but I do) but he has busted ass for us and someone will probably give him a substantial amount of money that we won't match.

5. I know they've talked him up in interviews but I can see Colton Gilles getting traded too. My pick on d is Falk (because he can't be sent down without being possibly claimed)

________

1. We don't sign Parise, Suter, or other big name free agents.

2. We re-sign Mike Lundin and Josh Harding.

3. We sign one mid-tier free agent forward and defenseman. (I'm assuming here that other defensive positions are filled via what we receive in trades)

4. We let Clayton Stoner, Kyle Brodziak, Greg Zanon, and Brad Staubitz sign elsewhere.

____

Granlund(2)-Koivu-Heatley
XXX-Granlund(1)-Setoguchi
Bulmer-Cullen-Clutterbuck
XXX-Powe-Johnson
XXX

Schultz-XXX
Scandella-Spurgeon
Lundin-XXX
Falk

Backstrom
Harding

(I don't want to guess who else will fill those XXX spots. I will explain my numbers after Granlund's name. I bet they'll try Granlund at center and if he ends up being poor at faceoffs, he goes to play on Koivu's wing.)
? Lats came into season in the best shape he has ever been in and got a concussion - hardly his fault.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:03 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Scandella isn't a top pairing D on a decent blueline, and we're going to need a decent blueline if we ever want to see our offensive threats produce offense. Weber isn't going to cut it if he's the only consistently good defenseman we have--we'll find ourselves in the same place we are now. Not saying the results are bad at all, but they are unexpected and they do rely on our offense playing a more defensive game than anyone wants to see. I'm sure Fletcher (and Yeo) want to free up our offense.

i love how you say what Yeo's system needs is players with high hockey IQ and can make a good first pass then offer up Brodin, who was better in camp as a 17 (?) year old than Scandella. I said then it was weighted in favor of Brodin because the play wasn't physical, but he outplayed Scandella by a fair margin.

I'd give him up for Weber of course, but not along with Bouchard, Phillips (underrated here) and a 1st or second. That's nuts.
I disagree completely; I believe Scandella will be a solid #2 blueliner within 2 years from today's date and he has the talent/toughness combo to be a #1 within 3-5 years.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Unrestricted Free Agents after this season:

Stoner, Lundin, Zanon, Staubitz, Brodziak, Harding, and Peters

Restricted Free Agents after this season:

Latandresse, Johnson, Wellman, Falk, Prosser, and Endras

I didn't list players that haven't played more than a few games with the Wild or played at all.

Of those guys I'd like to see Lats, Brodz, Lundin, Harding, Stoner, Johnson and Endras (of course) re-signed. If I had my way along with a big name free agent and a trade or two the lines would look something like this:

Parise - Koivu - ?
Butch - Granlund - Seto
Lats - Brodziak - Clutter
Gillies - Powe - Johnson

Carle (FA) - Weber
Lundin - ?
Stoner - Spurgeon

Backstrom
Harding

You can't stop me from dreaming.

Old
11-29-2011, 11:41 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
I disagree completely; I believe Scandella will be a solid #2 blueliner within 2 years from today's date and he has the talent/toughness combo to be a #1 within 3-5 years.
i appreciate your optimism.

I'd say he'll cap out at a very solid #3 does everything well but nothing great kind of guy.

this is not totally aside from my ranking of him: anyone else underwhelmed by his speed? I was left with the impression that he was incredibly fast from Becoming Wild but I don't really see even the north-south speed. He's mobile enough, sure, but i was expecting him to stand out a lot in that aspect. I think he was always pegged to be a second pairing guy, and from what I've seen so far that's pretty much where he belongs. Of course at the moment he is as limited as the rest of his teammates to playing a more restricted game so it could change.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:07 AM
D U M B A

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
? Lats came into season in the best shape he has ever been in and got a concussion - hardly his fault.
I should elaborate. Not really knocking him for this season but I imagine his history with this issue will be considered when deciding whether or not to tender the Tenderness. I see through the upper management when they mention their "clean slate going forward" attitude.

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:32 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Unlike most of you I haven't really been all that impressed with Scandella this year. He's made some nice plays but he's made even more mistakes, a few of which have led to a goal. Spurgeon on the other hand is playing even better than I expected and Stoner always seems to have a good +/- rating no matter how good or bad he plays.

Old
11-30-2011, 12:41 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Unlike most of you I haven't really been all that impressed with Scandella this year. He's made some nice plays but he's made even more mistakes, a few of which have led to a goal. Spurgeon on the other hand is playing even better than I expected and Stoner always seems to have a good +/- rating no matter how good or bad he plays.
I haven't been able to see it either. Scandella really hasn't done anything for me lately. Spurgeon has looked solid so far, a few mistakes here and there, but nothing glaring and they were only minor mistakes. Plus, hes at least putting some points up on the board.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Bookman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
So after trading for him, we get rid of Seto just a year later? No.
That was an oversight on my part, not intentional.

Which does raise an interesting question about the top 6 when you have Koivu, Heatley, Setoguchi, Bouchard, Cullen, and Latendresse: when Granlund comes over, someone gets demoted to line #3. If they keep Brodziak, you could re-unite him with Latendresse. Add Clutter, and that is a dynamite 3rd line.

Old
11-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I like Scandella because he has the ability to rush the puck like Burns but doesn't do it all the damn time. He also has a great point shot and can play pretty well in his end. I really think in 1-2 years he'll be an overall upgrade over Burns.

Lats didn't get injured because he was out of shape. He was fantastic before he got concussed. But that might be a reason he won't be here long term...although he can't be traded while injured. Just a shame because he's the kind of guy you want to build around...a 30+30 power forward who plays every single night.

Seto is a marginal top six player. He scores ~20 goals per season. Yes for the Wild that's a "sniper" but for any other team that's a borderline guy. I think the team overestimated him. Big problem is he's not a grinder/defensive player when he's not scoring...he's just invisible. He's a lot more expendable than Lats, but the Wild gave up a lot for him.

I'm kind of confused because pretty much every player the Wild went after this summer has been coming up way short (Heatley, Setoguchi, Powe, Lundin). If these are the guys the team is counting on long term, that's not good. If it's just a bandaid for a couple years, that's fine.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Bookman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I like Scandella because he has the ability to rush the puck like Burns but doesn't do it all the damn time. He also has a great point shot and can play pretty well in his end. I really think in 1-2 years he'll be an overall upgrade over Burns.

Lats didn't get injured because he was out of shape. He was fantastic before he got concussed. But that might be a reason he won't be here long term...although he can't be traded while injured. Just a shame because he's the kind of guy you want to build around...a 30+30 power forward who plays every single night.

Seto is a marginal top six player. He scores ~20 goals per season. Yes for the Wild that's a "sniper" but for any other team that's a borderline guy. I think the team overestimated him. Big problem is he's not a grinder/defensive player when he's not scoring...he's just invisible. He's a lot more expendable than Lats, but the Wild gave up a lot for him.

I'm kind of confused because pretty much every player the Wild went after this summer has been coming up way short (Heatley, Setoguchi, Powe, Lundin). If these are the guys the team is counting on long term, that's not good. If it's just a bandaid for a couple years, that's fine.
Agree on Scandella and Latendresse.

Powe, Heatley, and Gooch all have 3 years left on their deals, which should be about the time Granlund, Larson, Coyle, etc. are coming into their own. Better than average placeholders is how i see it. Good enough to win now, holding down the fort until Fletcher's drafts mature.

Old
11-30-2011, 10:22 AM
nickschultzfan

Setoguchi-Granlund-Bouchard could be a dynamic 2nd line next year.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Dynamic, or Charmin soft?

I'd go:

Heatley-Cullen-Seto/Butch (one gets traded)
Clutter-Koivu-Granlund
Lats-Brodz-Johnson

Old
11-30-2011, 12:19 PM
EkiE

Considering the future the best thing Minnesota could do is to get PO picture again and moreso past to the first round. That would show future free agents that this team is for real + our prospect depth, if that happens we wouldn't have to pay for 7mil/season for likes of parise or ryan.

Considering our depth in every other category than in D we should go for legit top1-2 dman in upcoming july and trade some other assets what we have already for top6 winger(bouchard/Tenderness).

If we could pull this off we would have legit playoff/SC contender for years to come

Granlund-Koivu-Seto/UFA
Heatley-Cullen-Bouchard/Lats/UFA
Seto/Lats-Brodziak-Clutter
Gillies-Powe-Johnson

Ufa-spurg/scandella
Lundin-spurg/scandella
Schultz-Falk
X= prosser/stoner/Falk

keep backs for end of his contract and then run

Harding
Hackett

This would be one hell of a team in WC for years to come and Lemaire would be finally forgotten.

edit: remember we have 1-3 years from now Brodin/Larsson/Phillips/Coyle/Haula/Zucker/Bulmer fighting for spots also. Future looks pretty damn good for State of Hockey.

Last edited by EkiE: 11-30-2011 at 12:24 PM.
EkiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wonder if we could take a run at Bobby Ryan. We need to get rid of 2 of Seto, Lats, or Butch though. And then bring in Parise and Suter/Weber, right?

NSF, you're good at these things, figure it out

Old
11-30-2011, 12:32 PM
EkiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I wonder if we could take a run at Bobby Ryan. We need to get rid of 2 of Seto, Lats, or Butch though. And then bring in Parise and Suter/Weber, right?

NSF, you're good at these things, figure it out
You cant bring weber/suter package nor even 1 of them. Nashville has shown that they are serious about their team (see Rinne's contract) that was made only to keep that pair interested/motivated to stay in Nashville.

Old
11-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Dr Jan Itor

I'm sure that any play for Ryan would start with Granlund.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:35 PM
EkiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I'm sure that any play for Ryan would start with Granlund.
the way Larsson/co has played could avoid that scenario IMO. you throw 1-2 of our top 9 plus promising prospect+pick could land Ryan considering where Anaheim is ATM

Old
11-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Lats + Larsson + 3rd (conditional 1st upon resigning)?