HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"S.O.S" · · · — — — · · · catastrophic season?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2011, 08:42 PM
  #26
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
~yawn~

Trying to make a "tempete dans un verre d'eau". Anybody with half a brain that follows the situation knows the Habs have been crippled by injuries the first quarter and are weathering the storm, players are now looking like they will be back soon, mostly on defense.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:51 PM
  #27
Habs13
Registered User
 
Habs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: England
Posts: 5,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
My question is, what would happen in Manchester, UK if the the Red Devils presented this type of play ?
It won't happen. They have the best manager in the history of the game and have had him for almost three decades. Sir Alex Ferguson is a living legend and is able to bring in new talent, at any cost, because the teams owners WANT to win. I'm an Arsenal fan, but Manchester United are one HELL of an amazing franchise with an incredible management.

But I see the point of your post, too, so lets play Devil's advocate. You could have used the New York Yankees also. Both those teams are the pinnacle of their sports and as such, have a fanbase that demands quality 100% of the time. I don't see why the Montreal Canadiens shouldn't be on that list, also, having won more cups than any other team in their sport, as have United and the Yankees.

The Montreal Canadiens are the most known hockey team in the WORLD and there is NO reason the fans shouldn't demand the best players, the best coaches, the best managers the world has to offer. No reason at all. Anybody that is content with this mediocre crap we've had to follow for the past decade has lost the sense of identity this franchise SHOULD have.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:55 PM
  #28
CuteHockeyBunny
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Boston are cup contenders, with an impressive lineup of skill and toughness. Comparing their season to Montreals, is futile.
Boston are cup contenders, with a lineup relatively free of injuries. Comparing their season to Montreals, is futile.

Fixed

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:59 PM
  #29
Picaroon
Registered User
 
Picaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
It won't happen. They have the best manager in the history of the game and have had him for almost three decades. Sir Alex Ferguson is a living legend and is able to bring in new talent, at any cost, because the teams owners WANT to win. I'm an Arsenal fan, but Manchester United are one HELL of an amazing franchise with an incredible management.

But I see the point of your post, too, so lets play Devil's advocate. You could have used the New York Yankees also. Both those teams are the pinnacle of their sports and as such, have a fanbase that demands quality 100% of the time. I don't see why the Montreal Canadiens shouldn't be on that list, also, having won more cups than any other team in their sport, as have United and the Yankees.

The Montreal Canadiens are the most known hockey team in the WORLD and there is NO reason the fans shouldn't demand the best players, the best coaches, the best managers the world has to offer. No reason at all. Anybody that is content with this mediocre crap we've had to follow for the past decade has lost the sense of identity this franchise SHOULD have.


Really though.

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:03 PM
  #30
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
It won't happen. They have the best manager in the history of the game and have had him for almost three decades. Sir Alex Ferguson is a living legend and is able to bring in new talent, at any cost, because the teams owners WANT to win. I'm an Arsenal fan, but Manchester United are one HELL of an amazing franchise with an incredible management.

But I see the point of your post, too, so lets play Devil's advocate. You could have used the New York Yankees also. Both those teams are the pinnacle of their sports and as such, have a fanbase that demands quality 100% of the time. I don't see why the Montreal Canadiens shouldn't be on that list, also, having won more cups than any other team in their sport, as have United and the Yankees.

The Montreal Canadiens are the most known hockey team in the WORLD and there is NO reason the fans shouldn't demand the best players, the best coaches, the best managers the world has to offer. No reason at all. Anybody that is content with this mediocre crap we've had to follow for the past decade has lost the sense of identity this franchise SHOULD have.
This was my point exactly.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:07 PM
  #31
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
The Montreal Canadiens are the most known hockey team in the WORLD and there is NO reason the fans shouldn't demand the best players, the best coaches, the best managers the world has to offer.
Of course there is a reason: money. The Yankees and Manchester United have essentially unlimited budgets. The Habs do not, not least because there's this little thing called a salary cap.

If the Habs had the ability to outspend everyone else two- and three-to-one, then they'd have the best of everything.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:15 PM
  #32
MooseOllini
BobBarker
 
MooseOllini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Portugal
Posts: 4,098
vCash: 500
''Le Canadien joue sans inspiration. L'ιventuel retour d'Andrei Markov, un gars de 32 ans absent du jeu depuis un an, ne suffira pas ΰ renverser la tendance.''

Habs don't play inspired. 32 year old Markov who's been out of play for a year won't be enough to put the team back on track.

So I guess he's not aware that Crosby registered like 4 or 5 points on his first game after being out 1 year? He's underestimating our injuries big time. It's not only about Markov. Markov, Campoli back means Subban goes no2,3 Dman, Spacek no5,6 with Gill. Diaz or Yemelin no 7 Our transition play will be much better for 20-25 more minutes in a game (guessing Markov's ice time) helping our underperforming Gionta but much more Cammy.

You know what Cantin is? He's like those guys who think the world will end in 2012. Those guys who think that there's conspiracy everywhere. He needs to take his head off his ass and write about facts without sensationalizing them each time or else he'll end up like all these old farts of journalist we got

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:22 PM
  #33
dutchy29
Registered User
 
dutchy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,814
vCash: 500
i'm gonna throw in good teams find a way to win, or you have to be good to be lucky and we have been neither for the most part. We have an around average team that is dealing with injuries and key players who were paid to produce doing nothing thanks to poor deceisions by our management. I'm still rooting for my team, but its getting harder and harder.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:30 PM
  #34
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
It won't happen. They have the best manager in the history of the game and have had him for almost three decades. Sir Alex Ferguson is a living legend and is able to bring in new talent, at any cost, because the teams owners WANT to win. I'm an Arsenal fan, but Manchester United are one HELL of an amazing franchise with an incredible management.

But I see the point of your post, too, so lets play Devil's advocate. You could have used the New York Yankees also. Both those teams are the pinnacle of their sports and as such, have a fanbase that demands quality 100% of the time. I don't see why the Montreal Canadiens shouldn't be on that list, also, having won more cups than any other team in their sport, as have United and the Yankees.

The Montreal Canadiens are the most known hockey team in the WORLD and there is NO reason the fans shouldn't demand the best players, the best coaches, the best managers the world has to offer. No reason at all. Anybody that is content with this mediocre crap we've had to follow for the past decade has lost the sense of identity this franchise SHOULD have.

Bravo!!!

Best damned post EVER at HFBoards.!!!!!!

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:06 PM
  #35
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Cantin would beat his kid if he were a goalie and had a bad game.

And calling up Leblanc is a "corporate" move? Really? develloping a 1st round pick is obviously a good corporate move. Give him a cup of coffee with the big club, see where his game is, and send him back after the 3 games with an idea of what needs to be improved on.... I am simply shocked that PG would want to develop one of his top assets.

Cantin is a moron
Well the game Hamilton just played in Montreal, it wasn't come watch the Hamilton Bulldogs, it was come watch Louis Leblanc's Hamilton Bulldogs..That's how they promoted it.
So maybe Louis bought the team?


Ratings down 14 percent this year, empty seats, why couldn't one believe LL is a "corporate" move?Anyone in there right mind doesn't think scoring 10 pts in ahl gets you NHL coffee.
It is a theory that seems to hold some possibility....

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:17 PM
  #36
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
It won't happen. They have the best manager in the history of the game and have had him for almost three decades. Sir Alex Ferguson is a living legend and is able to bring in new talent, at any cost, because the teams owners WANT to win. I'm an Arsenal fan, but Manchester United are one HELL of an amazing franchise with an incredible management.

But I see the point of your post, too, so lets play Devil's advocate. You could have used the New York Yankees also. Both those teams are the pinnacle of their sports and as such, have a fanbase that demands quality 100% of the time. I don't see why the Montreal Canadiens shouldn't be on that list, also, having won more cups than any other team in their sport, as have United and the Yankees.

The Montreal Canadiens are the most known hockey team in the WORLD and there is NO reason the fans shouldn't demand the best players, the best coaches, the best managers the world has to offer. No reason at all. Anybody that is content with this mediocre crap we've had to follow for the past decade has lost the sense of identity this franchise SHOULD have.
Thank you.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:25 PM
  #37
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
MARKOV, PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Andrei Markov!!!! We've missed spacek and markov the whole season. We've missed cammalleri for parts and gomez for most. Campoli, our backup is gone, and yah we're gunna have to put up with this patches suspension BS for 3 games. But kostitsyn is back. leblanc is coming up, gomez will probly be back, cammy's healthy again spacek's back, and very soon campoli will be too, as well as MAAARRRKOOOVV!!!!! and when he comes back we're a different team.

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:27 PM
  #38
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,786
vCash: 500
Going off the 2009 -10 season , if we use that as a measuring stick .
We had 12 wins after 24 games.
We had 21 wins at end of December.
We finished with 39 wins and 88 points, made playoffs by 1 point .



Habs got 10 wins right now after 24 ,and with tomorrow nights game we can get a possible 11 wins ending Nov .


December we got 14 games ,9 of them on the road.
It is going to take one heck of a road trip to keep this team in the race!!!!

Depending if we win tomorrow night , will need to go 10-4 or 11-3 just to be on pace for 88 pt season ,which looking at the horse's in the race might wind us up short.

We could be looking square in the face of being out of it , by end of month .

Let's all hope for a double digit win month !

Going 5-9 or 6-8 or even 7-7 will be the Nail....

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:34 PM
  #39
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
MARKOV, PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Andrei Markov!!!! We've missed spacek and markov the whole season. We've missed cammalleri for parts and gomez for most. Campoli, our backup is gone, and yah we're gunna have to put up with this patches suspension BS for 3 games. But kostitsyn is back. leblanc is coming up, gomez will probly be back, cammy's healthy again spacek's back, and very soon campoli will be too, as well as MAAARRRKOOOVV!!!!! and when he comes back we're a different team.
You can't blame people for being a little timid on Markov...

I'm here I'm gone ,I'm here, I'm gone , I'm here I'm gone , contract ...Im here ,delay.....I'm here




Will you be gone again?

We love Markov ,just don't like his legs.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:51 PM
  #40
bravehab
Registered User
 
bravehab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ont Canada
Posts: 245
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to bravehab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
It won't happen. They have the best manager in the history of the game and have had him for almost three decades. Sir Alex Ferguson is a living legend and is able to bring in new talent, at any cost, because the teams owners WANT to win. I'm an Arsenal fan, but Manchester United are one HELL of an amazing franchise with an incredible management.

But I see the point of your post, too, so lets play Devil's advocate. You could have used the New York Yankees also. Both those teams are the pinnacle of their sports and as such, have a fanbase that demands quality 100% of the time. I don't see why the Montreal Canadiens shouldn't be on that list, also, having won more cups than any other team in their sport, as have United and the Yankees.

The Montreal Canadiens are the most known hockey team in the WORLD and there is NO reason the fans shouldn't demand the best players, the best coaches, the best managers the world has to offer. No reason at all. Anybody that is content with this mediocre crap we've had to follow for the past decade has lost the sense of identity this franchise SHOULD have.
exactly

bravehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:12 AM
  #41
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,786
vCash: 500
If the SOS indeed does result in the captian going down with the ship, anyone think Habs look to the Swiss Elite League for the new coach replacement?

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:19 AM
  #42
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
The thing about judging a team because it's been playing better than it's record, or has a great percentage over x period of time is that the season is cumulative and points lost are more difficult to recover with each passing game. Leafs fans for years have, correctly, pointed out that their team played playoff quality hockey for large parts of the season. I don't want to be that kind of fan. The fact is if you need to be ten games over .500, give or take, to make the playoffs (due to this crazy system where you could lose all 80 games in overtime and still be called a .500 team). Ten games up over 82 games is one thing, ten games over 60 is hugely harder. Ten games over .500 over 40 games is nigh on impossible, and even if you pull it off it likely still isn't enough because of the teams ahead of you. Look at NJ last season.

The habs season is in serious trouble, and not entirely due to injury IMO. The org has weak organizational depth in a number of positions, and a total void in some key ones.
It is pretty clear. If we lose 2 or 3 out west, I think we will need a monster win streak pretty soon to be in the playoff picture. I'm talking ten games. Then after that, .550-.600 play for the rest of the year.

We have not had a monster win streak like that in a very long time. I hope we can this year, or it's looking pretty bleak.

My fear is that we are 8 points out at the trade deadline, with realistically no chance, and have to keep Spaceman and Gill , instead of getting a couple of 3-4th rounders for them.

I am NOT saying the team is **** by the way, far from it. I am saying that through all the circumstance to this point, we are in a hole. It will be very difficult to climb out of this hole if we lose 2 or 3 on this trip.

This is old news here, but of course I want the Habs to win, but if we lose, I want us in 12th or worse at the deadline. If we are even worse, we might consider getting a big pick for AK. Sorry bout that guys.


Last edited by bsl: 11-30-2011 at 12:27 AM.
bsl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:33 AM
  #43
Skarjak
Registered User
 
Skarjak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Of course there is a reason: money. The Yankees and Manchester United have essentially unlimited budgets. The Habs do not, not least because there's this little thing called a salary cap.

If the Habs had the ability to outspend everyone else two- and three-to-one, then they'd have the best of everything.
We do. The salary cap doesn't affect how much you have to spend outside of player salaries. Why don't the habs have hordes of scouts in every relevant place? Why did we fire a bunch of scouts recently that weren't replaced, with the excuse given that videos are just as good? Maybe if we didn't cut corners on scouting, we'd be doing a much better job of drafting.

There is also nothing preventing us from burying players in the NHL so we can make trades or signings to improve the team.

We have a lot more money than other teams and we should be able to use it.

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:42 AM
  #44
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarjak View Post
We do. The salary cap doesn't affect how much you have to spend outside of player salaries. Why don't the habs have hordes of scouts in every relevant place? Why did we fire a bunch of scouts recently that weren't replaced, with the excuse given that videos are just as good? Maybe if we didn't cut corners on scouting, we'd be doing a much better job of drafting.

There is also nothing preventing us from burying players in the NHL so we can make trades or signings to improve the team.

We have a lot more money than other teams and we should be able to use it.

I'd like to ad one word after that ...WISER.


For instance , what the heck was wrong with Curtis Sanford as a back up in Montreal???? Very solid AHL numbers as a Dog.Why wasn't a $600,000 Sanford of any use in Montreal???
He has looked great in Columbus.



They sign a million dollar Auld to play 9 games...
They signed a 1.15 million cap hit Budaj ,to play how many???

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:21 AM
  #45
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 11,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
It won't happen. They have the best manager in the history of the game and have had him for almost three decades. Sir Alex Ferguson is a living legend and is able to bring in new talent, at any cost, because the teams owners WANT to win. I'm an Arsenal fan, but Manchester United are one HELL of an amazing franchise with an incredible management.

But I see the point of your post, too, so lets play Devil's advocate. You could have used the New York Yankees also. Both those teams are the pinnacle of their sports and as such, have a fanbase that demands quality 100% of the time. I don't see why the Montreal Canadiens shouldn't be on that list, also, having won more cups than any other team in their sport, as have United and the Yankees.

The Montreal Canadiens are the most known hockey team in the WORLD and there is NO reason the fans shouldn't demand the best players, the best coaches, the best managers the world has to offer. No reason at all. Anybody that is content with this mediocre crap we've had to follow for the past decade has lost the sense of identity this franchise SHOULD have.
while i agree with your general sentiment.

different leagues, different rules.

the yankees have a payroll of ~201 million. the poorest team, has a payroll of ~36 million. the second highest spending team? they're at 172 million and the dropoff is quick after that. they've been spending at this rate for 20+ years now. they want a player, they sign him as free agents. nothing special about their drafting. yet, they've only won the world series twice since 2000. should we consider them a failure?

chelsea, united, arsenal and you can include liverpool for the lulz if you want are the top 4 of that league in spending. fun fact: since 92, there's been 4 champions in the premier league, united, chelsea, arsenal and the last time one of these 3 didn't win was blackburn in 94.

there is no draft in football and teams like chelsea, man u and arsenal just divvy up the best free agents (using the term loosely). in fact, the team management of the sport are so different i wouldn't even bother comparing them. by the way, im not saying they are not well run, the opposite.

by comparision, the NHL has a hard salary cap set at 64.3 million with a cap spending floor of 48.3 million. it has a rigid drafting system with an unbelievable parity and being the habs, they are still operating under a 'management must speak french'. sounds stupid i know, but it's as stupid as the rangers hiring a coach that doesn't speak english. i don't like that rule, i have a feeling it's going to eventually change but in the meantime: "deal with it". whether you like it or not, the canadiens are in a , you guessed it, a french-speaking province and while you may think "it doesn't matter", keep in mind you are posting in a message board where everyone that speaks french, also speaks english.

ask joe tremblay lost in his cabin somewhere near lac saint-jean if he'd like a coach that didn't speak french...

under those conditions, find me a GM and a coach that are better than what we currently have that speaks french and english.

go on, i'll wait.

for the record: i WANT the best coach and GM available, regardless of language. but im not arrogant enough to think that everyone wants or will accept the same thing i will.

it's fine to aspire or wish the team to be better but at the same time, pointing at teams like the yankees and united and saying "well why can't we be as good as they are" is stupid. it's stupid because you are ignoring the context of their championship wins.

attack at will...

in before: lol u accept mediocrity


Last edited by MasterDecoy: 11-30-2011 at 01:35 AM.
MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:27 AM
  #46
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 11,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarjak View Post
We do. The salary cap doesn't affect how much you have to spend outside of player salaries. Why don't the habs have hordes of scouts in every relevant place? Why did we fire a bunch of scouts recently that weren't replaced, with the excuse given that videos are just as good? Maybe if we didn't cut corners on scouting, we'd be doing a much better job of drafting.

There is also nothing preventing us from burying players in the NHL so we can make trades or signings to improve the team.

We have a lot more money than other teams and we should be able to use it.
i doubt you know how many scouts we have and im not sure if having more scouts is always better, too many cooks et cetera and there was a thread recently on the main board and the habs have been doing one of the better jobs drafting in the league. some put us top 5, some top 3. bottom line is, drafting is NOT a problem.

***** about how we bring those players up and we agree.

as far as burying salaries in the minors, yeah, we should. *cough* gomez *cough*

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:16 AM
  #47
Habs13
Registered User
 
Habs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: England
Posts: 5,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
while i agree with your general sentiment.

different leagues, different rules.

the yankees have a payroll of ~201 million. the poorest team, has a payroll of ~36 million. the second highest spending team? they're at 172 million and the dropoff is quick after that. they've been spending at this rate for 20+ years now. they want a player, they sign him as free agents. nothing special about their drafting. yet, they've only won the world series twice since 2000. should we consider them a failure?

chelsea, united, arsenal and you can include liverpool for the lulz if you want are the top 4 of that league in spending. fun fact: since 92, there's been 4 champions in the premier league, united, chelsea, arsenal and the last time one of these 3 didn't win was blackburn in 94.

there is no draft in football and teams like chelsea, man u and arsenal just divvy up the best free agents (using the term loosely). in fact, the team management of the sport are so different i wouldn't even bother comparing them. by the way, im not saying they are not well run, the opposite.

by comparision, the NHL has a hard salary cap set at 64.3 million with a cap spending floor of 48.3 million. it has a rigid drafting system with an unbelievable parity and being the habs, they are still operating under a 'management must speak french'. sounds stupid i know, but it's as stupid as the rangers hiring a coach that doesn't speak english. i don't like that rule, i have a feeling it's going to eventually change but in the meantime: "deal with it". whether you like it or not, the canadiens are in a , you guessed it, a french-speaking province and while you may think "it doesn't matter", keep in mind you are posting in a message board where everyone that speaks french, also speaks english.

ask joe tremblay lost in his cabin somewhere near lac saint-jean if he'd like a coach that didn't speak french...

under those conditions, find me a GM and a coach that are better than what we currently have that speaks french and english.

go on, i'll wait.

for the record: i WANT the best coach and GM available, regardless of language. but im not arrogant enough to think that everyone wants or will accept the same thing i will.

it's fine to aspire or wish the team to be better but at the same time, pointing at teams like the yankees and united and saying "well why can't we be as good as they are" is stupid. it's stupid because you are ignoring the context of their championship wins.

attack at will...

in before: lol u accept mediocrity
All valid points, Mr. Lego. Although, you didn't mention Manchester City as the highest spending team in the EPL currently. Also, you bring up language issues, again, lets back to the EPL in England and look at the coaches there - not all are English first language. Even England's past two National team managers spoke English as a second language so I don't buy this crap where the Habs manager HAS to be a Francophone first and foremost. Who was the last coach of the Habs that wasn't a Francophone as a first language? (It's early in the am, but I can't think of one right now) To me, this is a management error! You draft talanet on a best player availiable basis so why wouldn't you hire your staff the same way? Is it just to keep the journalists happy? If the team is WINNING will the Quebecois fans care what the coach and GM's native tounge is?

I don't believe it ignorant to demand the best for the oldest, most storied franchise in the sport, salary cap or not. All teams deal with the cap - some deal with it well while others don't. We (Habs) have been mediocre for so long that finishing just barely in the playoffs just to last a round, maybe two, recieve a middle-pack draft pick and really mishandle our assests is not only common, but accepted. In short, this is a slow-moving locomotive that is happy to stay the course and continue to squeak into the play-offs and rapidly fizzle out, year after year.

The comparrison to United and the Yankees is that those other teams field the best possible roster under the sun... we get floaters and nothings with superstar salaries, but don't dare say a word against them or the team's management. Money isn't the question. Manchester United do not just go out and buy players - they scout their ***** off and CREATE stars.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:24 AM
  #48
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
All valid points, Mr. Lego. Although, you didn't mention Manchester City as the highest spending team in the EPL currently. Also, you bring up language issues, again, lets back to the EPL in England and look at the coaches there - not all are English first language. Even England's past two National team managers spoke English as a second language so I don't buy this crap where the Habs manager HAS to be a Francophone first and foremost. Who was the last coach of the Habs that wasn't a Francophone as a first language? (It's early in the am, but I can't think of one right now) To me, this is a management error! You draft talanet on a best player availiable basis so why wouldn't you hire your staff the same way? Is it just to keep the journalists happy? If the team is WINNING will the Quebecois fans care what the coach and GM's native tounge is?

I don't believe it ignorant to demand the best for the oldest, most storied franchise in the sport, salary cap or not. All teams deal with the cap - some deal with it well while others don't. We (Habs) have been mediocre for so long that finishing just barely in the playoffs just to last a round, maybe two, recieve a middle-pack draft pick and really mishandle our assests is not only common, but accepted. In short, this is a slow-moving locomotive that is happy to stay the course and continue to squeak into the play-offs and rapidly fizzle out, year after year.

The comparrison to United and the Yankees is that those other teams field the best possible roster under the sun... we get floaters and nothings with superstar salaries, but don't dare say a word against them or the team's management. Money isn't the question. Manchester United do not just go out and buy players - they scout their ***** off and CREATE stars.
Stop comparing baseball or soccder to hockey. It is just foolish. Everything, including the way teams are built, is different.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:26 AM
  #49
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Cantin is dead wrong about Markov's impact. As long a he's in the lineup, this team'll be very good.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:31 AM
  #50
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
while i agree with your general sentiment.

different leagues, different rules.

the yankees have a payroll of ~201 million. the poorest team, has a payroll of ~36 million. the second highest spending team? they're at 172 million and the dropoff is quick after that. they've been spending at this rate for 20+ years now. they want a player, they sign him as free agents. nothing special about their drafting. yet, they've only won the world series twice since 2000. should we consider them a failure?

chelsea, united, arsenal and you can include liverpool for the lulz if you want are the top 4 of that league in spending. fun fact: since 92, there's been 4 champions in the premier league, united, chelsea, arsenal and the last time one of these 3 didn't win was blackburn in 94.

there is no draft in football and teams like chelsea, man u and arsenal just divvy up the best free agents (using the term loosely). in fact, the team management of the sport are so different i wouldn't even bother comparing them. by the way, im not saying they are not well run, the opposite.

by comparision, the NHL has a hard salary cap set at 64.3 million with a cap spending floor of 48.3 million. it has a rigid drafting system with an unbelievable parity and being the habs, they are still operating under a 'management must speak french'. sounds stupid i know, but it's as stupid as the rangers hiring a coach that doesn't speak english. i don't like that rule, i have a feeling it's going to eventually change but in the meantime: "deal with it". whether you like it or not, the canadiens are in a , you guessed it, a french-speaking province and while you may think "it doesn't matter", keep in mind you are posting in a message board where everyone that speaks french, also speaks english.

ask joe tremblay lost in his cabin somewhere near lac saint-jean if he'd like a coach that didn't speak french...

under those conditions, find me a GM and a coach that are better than what we currently have that speaks french and english.

go on, i'll wait.

for the record: i WANT the best coach and GM available, regardless of language. but im not arrogant enough to think that everyone wants or will accept the same thing i will.

it's fine to aspire or wish the team to be better but at the same time, pointing at teams like the yankees and united and saying "well why can't we be as good as they are" is stupid. it's stupid because you are ignoring the context of their championship wins.

attack at will...

in before: lol u accept mediocrity
My sentiments exactly.

And I'd like to add, of all the major team sports, the NHL is arguably the most competitive (parity). It makes it a whole lot harder to win it.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.