HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Andreas Nodl Claimed by Carolina

Old
11-30-2011, 01:23 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
If we want, we have cap flexibility right now...
Mike knuble is a good player...but again we've replaced him....
Call me when he's waiving giroux or jvr or something.
How are we going to score goals without 18 and 17...we seem to be managing ok...now the drum beat Is all about loosing the vaunted defense from those 2 stalwarts...
Knuble was a very important player when he was here. He averged 28 goals a season while he was here. Who exactly did the Flyers replace him with? The flyers scored 28 fewer goals the following season after he left. What was Knuble's average production? oh yeah 28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
He's not a top 6 player.

And he is nothing special. There are player's around that provide what he does.

It would be poor asset management to give something up for a guy like that when you know there's a huge chance he'll be on the waiver wire.
No one will say Nodl is a special player. At times he did drive me crazy with his lack of production, but he was more usefull then players currently on this roster.

Quote:
Being poor to 18 and 17 would have been coming out and publicly stating the real reason(s) they dumped them. Instead they pulled the "good hockey deal" card. The truth will never be told by the higher up flyer brass...but it absolutely goes past on ice performance.
I do believe when those deals were made PH thought they were the cornerstones of this team.
cracks me up when people just type out the numbers of players. Because its really hard to type out Richards and Carter. Anyway, the debate is still out on whether these were "good hockey deals" We wont know on that one if it ever looks like a good deal. Simmonds is looking like a hes going to be a very good player or a player that goes missing type of player. Not the type of NHL palyer you want in return for arguably your best all around Center. Schenn better be the real deal or I am going to hate this deal 5 years from now as much as I hate it now.
The Carter deal is looking pretty good tho and I will give him that one. We were pretty fortunate that Couturier fell to us at 8.

Quote:
Do you mean in another post? Because my second sentence here says that Richards did enough to damage his media relationship without any assistance from PH.

And I don't need to get a legal document confirmation that there was more to "the trades" than "it's a hockey deal to improve the team" party line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
The greatest 4th liner in history.
What exactly did Richards do to do damage to the media? refusing to talk to them after the way he was disrespected. The media in Philly seems to think its a 1 way street. they demand respect from the players, but can run crap in the press and in Ryan Bright's case make childish comments about Richards on twitter. I will give Richards the benefit of the doubt with the press here, because this group of Philly beat writers outside of Meltzer really are clueless when it comes to the game of hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Except it fails to mention that there are other "quarters" in your pocket too. If Nodl was the only "quarter," I think this analogy would work great.
If Nodl was a quarter in that wad of bills in your pocket, then Jody Shelley is that piece of lint that you sometimes find after you do your laundry. That piece of worthless lint is more valuable then the "quarter" appearantly.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:46 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

vCash: 500
Sounds like Lavy just didn't want to play him anymore.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:01 AM
Flyerfan808

I've always been a fan of Nodl and I wish him the best of luck in Carolina. I will miss his speed most of all. Especially now that Shelley is back in the lineup full time.

I think he will fit in very nicely on Carolina. I am happy that he is going to a team where he has a shot at solidifying a roster spot for himself, because let's be honest; he wasn't going to be able to do that here.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
I'm not trying to make him sound like something he's not - but he's an good 4th liner that can play on a 3rd line without killing you.

On a reasonable cap hit, with NHL experience. That's got to be worth something. That's not a lot less than what Powe was
It is worth something for sure, but not a lot (I think we can agree that a 3rd rounder was an overpayment for Powe). Also, nothing takes place in a vacuum. Nodl is someone who has marginal worth, and everything about our situation right now would drive his price down. I could certainly see it being driven down to zero.

I get that people are upset about letting someone go for nothing, but I don't get how people, not necessarily you, seem to not be able to believe that he may have been worth nothing.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Sounds like Lavy just didn't want to play him anymore.
why would he? He sucks. The only thing he is is "safe"...skates fast but doesn't get anywhere or do anything when he gets there. He makes Powe look like he has good hands.

Said Betts sucked and s/b cut got pushback on this site
Said Nodl sucked and s/b cut got pushback on this site
Shelley is next.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
It is worth something for sure, but not a lot (I think we can agree that a 3rd rounder was an overpayment for Powe). Also, nothing takes place in a vacuum. Nodl is someone who has marginal worth, and everything about our situation right now would drive his price down. I could certainly see it being driven down to zero.

I get that people are upset about letting someone go for nothing, but I don't get how people, not necessarily you, seem to not be able to believe that he may have been worth nothing.
The fact that he lasted for about a nano second on the waiver wire casts doubt on his supposed lack of value. Carolina had a very early claim.

The bigger problem is that the Flyers never should have been in a position where they were forced to waive Nodl. Going into the season at 50 contracts isn't smart. And that's on top of the addiction to running at the salary cap.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:45 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The fact that he lasted for about a nano second on the waiver wire casts doubt on his supposed lack of value. Carolina had a very early claim.

The bigger problem is that the Flyers never should have been in a position where they were forced to waive Nodl. Going into the season at 50 contracts isn't smart. And that's on top of the addiction to running at the salary cap.
Wait a minute, are you trying to say that it isn't standard NHL front-office operating procedure to overfill your roster right out of the gate and leave yourself no margin of error, and then to cast off reasonably serviceable players when you find yourself in a hole? Colour me stupified.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Banger

Quote:

not surprising at all....teams at the top of the waiver wire suck and have holes to fill so it makes sense they would pick up a cheap AHL/NHL bubble player.

Old
11-30-2011, 08:55 AM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Wait a minute, are you trying to say that it isn't standard NHL front-office operating procedure to overfill your roster right out of the gate and leave yourself no margin of error, and then to cast off reasonably serviceable players when you find yourself in a hole? Colour me stupified.
Maybe we just had too many picks and we'll send a few back for Nodl.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:00 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
not surprising at all....teams at the top of the waiver wire suck and have holes to fill so it makes sense they would pick up a cheap AHL/NHL bubble player.
It was clear one of those teams would grab him, but I'm sure we could find a couple good teams that might be interested in him as a depth guy. Nodl is nothing special, but he's turned himself into a reliable bottom pairing guy that can chip in.

Old
11-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Banger

Quote:
It was clear one of those teams would grab him, but I'm sure we could find a couple good teams that might be interested in him as a depth guy. Nodl is nothing special, but he's turned himself into a reliable bottom pairing guy that can chip in.
If that were the case and a better team wanted him and knew that a Carolina or similar team would likely snag him they would give up a worthless 6th/7th rounder for him. Reliable is about the only positive that can be said about him...look I don't hate the guy but I'd much rather have Harry Z in that spot as he has some upside, has an edge, hits and has some offensive touch.

In truth the dropoff between him and Wellwood, Holmstrom, etc. is insignificant he just didn't have the ability to be sent down. I highly doubt he would've even made the team this year if he could have been sent down.

Old
11-30-2011, 09:13 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
If Nodl was a quarter in that wad of bills in your pocket, then Jody Shelley is that piece of lint that you sometimes find after you do your laundry. That piece of worthless lint is more valuable then the "quarter" appearantly.
You can start a fire with lint, where as that quarter doesn't even get you a song from the Juke box these days......

Fire gives you life, where as this "Quarter" didnt even provide much of a swan song....

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
If that were the case and a better team wanted him and knew that a Carolina or similar team would likely snag him they would give up a worthless 6th/7th rounder for him. Reliable is about the only positive that can be said about him...look I don't hate the guy but I'd much rather have Harry Z in that spot as he has some upside, has an edge, hits and has some offensive touch.

In truth the dropoff between him and Wellwood, Holmstrom, etc. is insignificant he just didn't have the ability to be sent down. I highly doubt he would've even made the team this year if he could have been sent down.
Those other guys are far from proven, and will almost definitely experience growing pains Nodl has already gone through. I am happy to have them playing at ES over Nodl, but would prefer him if we need a PKer, for example. I'd also prefer Nodl over Rinaldo against certain teams, and especially come playoff time.

Old
11-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Quote:
Nodl was losing his roster spot to younger players... it is what it is. He was, however, a nice cheap extra man to have around, and certainly a lot more useful than Shelley.

The reason Nodl could not be shopped for a pick at least, was more than anything else due to the fact that the team is up against the wall due to the rash of injuries on D, and Holmgren has so poorly managed both the cap and contract structure of this team that he couldn't wait.
You make it seem like you disagree with me, yet in a previous post say the same exact thing that I was saying.

I never said he had no value. I said it's completely possible he had no trade value with us being in our current position.

Quote:
I know.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:16 AM
FlyerEra2010

Pretty upset right now. Pretty GOD DAMN upset.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:35 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Knuble was a very important player when he was here. He averged 28 goals a season while he was here. Who exactly did the Flyers replace him with? The flyers scored 28 fewer goals the following season after he left. What was Knuble's average production? oh yeah 28.

cracks me up when people just type out the numbers of players. Because its really hard to type out Richards and Carter. Anyway, the debate is still out on whether these were "good hockey deals"

What exactly did Richards do to do damage to the media?
Mike knuble is a nice guy, hard worker, ect. Losing him didnt change a darn thing...he's an easily replaceable player.

I'm typing on a phone...sometimes I'm trying to get it out fast...numbers are easier when names get autocorrected over and over. The actual value if these deals is irrelevant. The main reason PH gave in the PC for " the trades" was they were "good hockey deals". Just like Wayne gretzky to la...all hockey.

18 isn't a talker. He doesn't handle it well. Never did. Phi media is aggressive dumb and relentless. I'm not saying they are right, but he didn't diffuse the situation at all...he just exacerbated it with his no talk decree. Look at 20, he gets laughs, funny quotes, sarcasm...doesn't get serious about it.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:45 AM
achdumeingute

My grandmother lived and grew up through the great depression. A common thing for those who did is to the very small unusable pieces of soap into a bucket. Over time they become a mishmash of pieces to make a new larger piece of soap. She does this...which I think is silly. Go get new soap?

Nodl is like a tiny piece of leftover soap. IMO go to the store and get a new bar rather than hold on to something you are done with...you could hold on to him and squeeze every ounce of utility out of it...but sometimes it's not really worth it.

Old
11-30-2011, 10:49 AM
mirimon

Quote:
My grandmother lived and grew up through the great depression. A common thing for those who did is to the very small unusable pieces of soap into a bucket. Over time they become a mishmash of pieces to make a new larger piece of soap. She does this...which I think is silly. Go get new soap?

Nodl is like a tiny piece of leftover soap. IMO go to the store and get a new bar rather than hold on to something you are done with...
No, he is a quarter. With enough Nödl's you can go to the store and get a new bar of soap. I think. This thread is becoming a bit complicated to follow.

Last edited by mirimon: 11-30-2011 at 10:55 AM.
mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
[...]

Being at 50 contracts at the start of the season isn't good, but we were there because we signed many college and junior free agents the last two years, which isn't a bad thing. We got Read, Zolnierzcyk, Holmstrom and Gustafsson for nothing, now we lost Nödl for nothing. We were at 50 contracts because we took chances on UFAs, and it paid of.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:58 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
No, he is a quarter. With enough Nödl's you can go to the store and get a new soap bar. I think. This thread is becoming a bit complicated to follow.
Lol. I'd be using my Nodls at the arcade. Lord knows I dropped enough of those on street fighter 2 over the years...

Old
11-30-2011, 11:20 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Being at 50 contracts at the start of the season isn't good, but we were there because we signed many college and junior free agents the last two years, which isn't a bad thing. We got Read, Zolnierzcyk, Holmstrom and Gustafsson for nothing, now we lost Nödl for nothing. We were at 50 contracts because we took chances on UFAs, and it paid of.
Yeah but there are also contracts of Leighton, Walker, Shelley, Betts, etc which are all useless to us right now

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:30 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Yeah but there are also contracts of Leighton, Walker, Shelley, Betts, etc which are all useless to us right now
ya well, Nodl's contract was also useless to us but now we dont have to worry about it anymore

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Show me the team in the league that doesn't has a contract it better wouldn't have signed.

Those contracts you named aren't unusual for an NHL team, everyone signs NHL veterans or takes them in trades, the unusual thing on our reserve list are the extreme high amount of young UFA prospects we sign, and that paid of.

Every player you named had been on waivers this season, none was claimed, we obviously couldn't get rid of them. We had to do something different.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:31 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
18 isn't a talker. He doesn't handle it well. Never did. Phi media is aggressive dumb and relentless. I'm not saying they are right, but he didn't diffuse the situation at all...he just exacerbated it with his no talk decree. Look at 20, he gets laughs, funny quotes, sarcasm...doesn't get serious about it.
Pronger sucked ass at it when he was in his early 20's too. Over time, he's learned how to deal with them. Richards is absolutely fine and relaxed with professional media types who know their ***** from a hole in the ground. Unfortunately, there aren't many of those types around Philly, and the guys who are in Philly who believe they are more important than the story are in abundance.

Quote:
My grandmother lived and grew up through the great depression. A common thing for those who did is to the very small unusable pieces of soap into a bucket. Over time they become a mishmash of pieces to make a new larger piece of soap. She does this...which I think is silly.
All those smaller pieces of soap can be made into something bigger and more useful. Interesting.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:

Nodl is like a tiny piece of leftover soap. IMO go to the store and get a new bar rather than hold on to something you are done with...you could hold on to him and squeeze every ounce of utility out of it...but sometimes it's not really worth it.
But Homer didn't go to the store. He didn't get any new soap. He simply gave his little piece of soap to a neighbor for nothing. He should have made some dirty deal and got something back in return. Like, for instance, a quarter.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote