HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hagelin and Mitchell up

Old
11-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
Do you know how? Do tell.
we would have to ask the Leaf board. I think they expected more offense out of him and wanted some of their younger players to get more time.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
Do you know how? Do tell.
No I don't. That's why I was asking.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Wolski for Rozsival at the deadline to give us that veteran depth on D.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:25 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
we would have to ask the Leaf board. I think they expected more offense out of him and wanted some of their younger players to get more time.
Here's some good stuff for you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1R2L1L2 View Post
It was a combination of regression and poor coaching.

John Mitchell was a Fourth Line player trying to play as a Top Six player. The problem was, he didn't have the skill to do so. He'd try out-dekeing every player on he other team (Which led to turnovers) he'd try to create offense on his own (which generally led to turnovers).

The other problem was Wilson seemed to love him. He played him in situations he couldn't hope to excel at (With Kessel, on the PP, on the PK). He was supposed to be atleast decently defensively, but bar-none he was our worst PKer by a country mile. The stats for PPGA while he was on the ice was astronomical. This led to our PK (which was decent when Zigo was up) plummeting to worse in the league. Wilson eventually figured out he couldn't get the job done, and he was removed from the PK.

Plus, Kulemin (Who many around here believed had Top 6 potential) was getting the same/less ice-time as him, but he was playing 100% better (This was before Kulemin's breakout year last year) Kulemin was beasting defensively, physical, etc. But Wilson was loathed to give him a look in an offensive role, but always went to Johnny F Mitchell.

The fan-base soared on him, and I guess Burke saw what we all did, too.

If Wilson never played him in situations above his head, and Mitchell never got confused about what kinda player he had to be, well, he would still be gone, actually. Better options for Bottom Six roles in the organization now.

But we wouldn't have soared on him like we did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
His opportunity and ice time dropped and he was beaten out by other better players as he proved to be ineffective.

Mitchell is actually decent when utilized properly. In his rookie season he had a good role in the bottom six and put up 30 pts. He had a good, simplified game and did the little things right, he was doing just fine in his role. The following season, Wilson developed a man-crush on this guy and put him on the first and second lines numerous times (we were lacking at centre so I guess Wilson was experimenting) and Mitchell tried to do way too much, he was clearly in over his head, and he became the whipping boy of the fanbase. Last year was his last chance, and he failed to deliver.

But again, if used properly, he's a good player. He's fast, can get gritty and is willing to go in the corners and dirty areas, and his defensive game isn't too shabby, can be utilized on the PK. His hands aren't horrible as long he doesn't try to overdo it (he was quite successful in the shootout, has a nice backhand), and he actually has a pretty sweet shot, his release is just a bit slow. The only thing he really lacks is hockey IQ, and that's what keeps him as a bottom six guy and not a top six guy.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=799297&page=3

Last edited by Tawnos: 11-29-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:31 AM
eco's bones

Mitchell reminds me of Ruslan Fedotenko--or in another era Brian Noonan. An up and down your wing grinder type of guy--good size, good in battles along the boards and in the corners, smart defensively--fully capable of knocking in 10-15 goals a year.

As for Hagelin--if he can keep his level of play where it is now I would think his AHL days are done.

The Rangers have a ton of depth at forward now--that can compete well at the NHL level.

Stepan-Gaborik-Anisimov.
Richards-Callahan-Fedotenko.
Boyle-Mitchell-Hagelin.
Dubinsky-Prust-Avery.

With Wolski, Rupp out injured. Christensen (I'm not a big fan but he's still a capable NHL player) as a spare and Zuccarello, Deveaux and Newbury.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:50 AM
GrizMint

What are we missing with Mitchell? Looks like a real solid player to me and adds depth with the ability to center effectively and play wing.

Cap Hit: 650K
NHL Numbers: 159 - 20 - 35 - 55

Obviously not anything to write home about, but from what we have seen, looks good in a checking role, is defensively responsible and can chip in offensively.

Why was he traded for a 7th round pick? What is his weakness that really pulls his value down? Curious what Toronto fans think of him

GrizMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:52 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizMint View Post
What are we missing with Mitchell? Looks like a real solid player to me and adds depth with the ability to center effectively and play wing.

Cap Hit: 650K
NHL Numbers: 159 - 20 - 35 - 55

Obviously not anything to write home about, but from what we have seen, looks good in a checking role, is defensively responsible and can chip in offensively.

What why was he traded for a 7th round pick? What is his weakness that really pulls his value down? Curious what Toronto fans think of him
Hahahaha. Read two posts above.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:56 AM
GrizMint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Hahahaha. Read two posts above.
Thanks... gotta go back to bed haha

GrizMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Chimp

Also worth noting, is how much Brian Boyle seems to like playing with these guys. His offensive game is re-emerging. All three on the line are capable of chipping in a goal once and then.

The number of ways these two callups have helped the team, are growing by the day.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Also worth noting, is how much Brian Boyle seems to like playing with these guys. His offensive game is re-emerging. All three on the line are capable of chipping in a goal once and then.

The number of ways these two callups have helped the team, are growing by the day.
personally, i think Boyle is the weak link on that line. Flip flop him and Dubi.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Sky Valley

Send a message via AIM to Sky Valley
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizMint View Post
Why was he traded for a 7th round pick? What is his weakness that really pulls his value down? Curious what Toronto fans think of him
Funny thing is, looking back at the thread about his trade on the Leafs board, they were all stunned to have gotten anything at all for him. He'd apparently cleared waivers only a month or so prior.

Sky Valley is offline   Reply With Quote