HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 23. 11/29/2011. St. Louis Blues at Washington Capitals. 7pm

Old
11-30-2011, 02:39 AM
randysavage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I guess my skepticism is whether they ever fall apart against Hitch's style. They get mired in it, get dominated in their way, but it's not a system where I expect the wheels to come off. To me it's a one-goal game that they maybe never come back in, but they never go down by 3.

I don't know, maybe the Blues have more explosiveness in them.
Pretty much all of the Blues' explosiveness is on IR in the form of David Perron and Andy Macdonald.

randysavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:22 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Considering the current form of this team, you're probably right--unless tonight turned out to be the breakout game with Bruce.

They're certainly in a funk. Here's hoping the forthcoming system/practice/philosophy changes push them out of it.
It may take a little while to get that contradictory philosophy, "STAY ANGRY ... BELIEVE IN YOURSELVES", out of their heads & hearts.

11-30-2011, 06:45 AM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
There are a millions ways to not throw the team under the bus and not make garbage up about having their chances in the 3rd. Sure if one of those many dump ins with nobody chasing had hit a stanchion while Halak was heading behind the net and the puck ended up in an empty net it would have been tied up but that was pretty much the only chance they had.

The Caps might have had 5 decent chances all night...
I don't know if it was five chances really. Maybe three. I'm not in the "well it was a better effort" camp either. It was another loss. Fifth time in eight games they've scored one goal. They're boring.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:49 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Indeed JP, good point, the contradiction that became this team. Bruce and the players didnt fight through the losing streak a year ago, instead becoming something we were not. We eek'd out wins, but we were never the same after that. You can say you are angry in a calm voice or print it on a shirt, but no one believes you. At minimum need to yell it and then tear up the shirt. Angry people are hard to miss.

I believe you all know Dale Hunter.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:23 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale Dunter View Post
I was a little disappointed at the tepid reception for Hunter. I'll just assume that most in the building are <30 or newcomers or fair weather fans.

DH is my favorite player ever (no surprise ) and he is Capitals royalty. I thought he deserved better, just for being Dale Hunter, a guy with is number hanging in the rafters.

Beyond that VC was an absolute mausoleum for most of that game, is that the norm lately? I haven't made a lot of games this year.

edit..tepid may be overstating it, but it was 'restrained' anyway, polite but not a lot of enthuiasm.
I figured it had more to do with not wanting to cheer too much about BB leaving (or the state of the team). Wanting to treat the situation with a little bit of solemnity.

As cool as it is to have DH back in the org, watching the team get their coach fired is never something to really celebrate.

Also, Tuesday crowd against a western conference opponent. It didn't fill up early and was a bit of a quiet crowd regardless.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:28 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

You can't turn a freighter bound for an iceberg in one short game.

This team has flaws. I don't think they're as talented as they thought, but I do think the effort was a bit more at this time.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:29 AM
Jedgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale Dunter View Post
I was a little disappointed at the tepid reception for Hunter. I'll just assume that most in the building are <30 or newcomers or fair weather fans.

DH is my favorite player ever (no surprise ) and he is Capitals royalty. I thought he deserved better, just for being Dale Hunter, a guy with is number hanging in the rafters.

Beyond that VC was an absolute mausoleum for most of that game, is that the norm lately? I haven't made a lot of games this year.

edit..tepid may be overstating it, but it was 'restrained' anyway, polite but not a lot of enthuiasm.
Hey, don't throw the '<30's under the bus. I'm 18 and I have a throwback blue caps sweater with Hunter on it.

Jedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:34 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

DC fans are a unique bunch, heckling aka WHOOPing our own players instead of the opposition is a life long head scratcher. Ever since watching Ovi come to life when the Toronto fans cheered his name, I want caps fans to try the same. The guy's game is all about energy, and I think he'll respond well to our crowd doing the same. Our crowd is reactive WRT to Ovi, cheering his name to fire him up to do something, needs us to be proactive. honk honk honk is a wee bit old. Horn guy I put it to you, make it happen. Or use the old telescreen one side says, O, then the says V. Ovi is the teams lifeline, no matter the coach.

Old
11-30-2011, 08:01 AM
txpd

wow...you want the home crowd to turn on ovechkin because you think he would react the same way as he does on the road? doing it on the road is one thing. at home his reaction would seem to me to be much closer to his reaction to being left on the bench or having his ice time cut. he hasnt responded to that with energy. far from it.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:13 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
You can't turn a freighter bound for an iceberg in one short game.

This team has flaws. I don't think they're as talented as they thought, but I do think the effort was a bit more at this time.
The stench of SUCK is quickly getting stronger this season. The team just has little confidence and the energy isn't where it needs to be. Not close. Hard to believe in the team when they don't believe in themselves.

Oh well. At least we have a cool draft watch with Colorado's 1st pick and got some good young players coming from the pipeline like Orlov and Kuznetsov.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I don't want to compare us to a Cup winner, but weren't some in Boston thinking the team was floundering and done in the early part?

The season's 82 freaking games. Long way to go.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

I thought it was a cautious game, little bit to cautious for my taste. i would've thought they had a little more jump in their step, adrenaline and all... but the game had a feeling to it like they were trying not to make a mistake... You cant win like that... maybe here and there, but not consistently. Well, it's only the first game under the DH, he needs to be here a bit longer to make his stamp on this team.

Orlov was the most creative and confident player on our team... strange...
The boys need to win Thursday, big time... that will give them confidence to string a few in a row...

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:36 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I don't want to compare us to a Cup winner, but weren't some in Boston thinking the team was floundering and done in the early part?

The season's 82 freaking games. Long way to go.
Yeah we can turn it around and rip off a 10 game winning streak based on the talent easily. I'm just not feeling the "vibe" this year and haven't since the early portions of last year. The youthful exhuberance is missing and there is a serious lack of emotion.

Old
11-30-2011, 08:47 AM
txpd

they didnt believe in themselves when hanlon was fired. in fact their lack of belief was based on no proof that they should believe. this group can believe at they have seen themselves do it.

i think its important to know the difference between boudreau, who turned them lose, and hunter who is reigning them in.

watch a little.

Old
11-30-2011, 08:47 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Yeah we can turn it around and rip off a 10 game winning streak based on the talent easily. I'm just not feeling the "vibe" this year and haven't since the early portions of last year. The youthful exhuberance is missing and there is a serious lack of emotion.
Here's to hoping Dale can turn that around.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:51 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
they didnt believe in themselves when hanlon was fired. in fact their lack of belief was based on no proof that they should believe. this group can believe at they have seen themselves do it.

i think its important to know the difference between boudreau, who turned them lose, and hunter who is reigning them in.

watch a little.
And I think that is the way you teach players hockey fundamentals. You make sure they can play a game doing the essentials. Bruce let 'em loose, then tried to reign 'em in, then... I don't know what he was trying to do this year.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:15 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
wow...you want the home crowd to turn on ovechkin because you think he would react the same way as he does on the road? doing it on the road is one thing. at home his reaction would seem to me to be much closer to his reaction to being left on the bench or having his ice time cut. he hasnt responded to that with energy. far from it.
Home fans would cheer Olie Olie several times a game. I dont think it made Olie feel like his time was being cut, or left on the bench. Wow. So you think Ovi is going to get angry if the fans cheer him. How do you know this? You know I said cheer, not jeer, right.

I wanted to see how he reacts, if it was negative or he didnt respond, the cheer would simply die. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I first had the thought when it was obvious the Toronto fans could motivate him more than Bruce. From all indications, the energy wasnt there last night. Dont get all in bunch on a cheer notion.

Old
11-30-2011, 09:21 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Home fans would cheer Olie Olie several times a game. I dont think it made Olie feel like his time was being cut, or left on the bench. Wow. So you think Ovi is going to get angry if the fans cheer him. How do you know this? You know I said cheer, not jeer, right.

I wanted to see how he reacts, if it was negative or he didnt respond, the cheer would simply die. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I first had the thought when it was obvious the Toronto fans could motivate him more than Bruce. From all indications, the energy wasnt there last night. Dont get all in bunch on a cheer notion.
The context is going to matter. As long as it's clearly a supportive cheer, great (think "MVP!"). Then again it'll be hard to get something like that going without him doing something awesome first.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:29 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Wasn't calling you a hater....just saying people with an agenda (like the poster I THINK you were referring to) tend to be pretty consistant.
It might also be that many here need to own up to their part.

In Leonsis, we have an owner who has attempted to control content on message boards. The Discovery crew actually had a meeting with Ted, and he asked us to work with him to control posts. I posted emails regarding this a couple years ago on this very site. PSU tried to cover it up.

Ted succeeded: look at this site. Tell the truth, and called a hater, troll, or Gloom & Doomer. People (the non-cap employees here) actually exchange e-mails with Ted, and they think they're on the "inside" and are helping the Caps.

What they're actually doing is to help Ted with marketing, and to allow him to short-cut us, by ignoring issues and calling bad elements of the product "good."

With people's help, he's increased attendance, while giving us subpar coaching, D, and goaltending.

So let's not "play" victim: many here helped play a part in wasting the chances we had the last few years. But hey, Ted (or his assistants ) answer your e-mails... you're important.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:33 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

yeah good points as usual brs. I was just trying to help.

I was thrilled that Dale was being a tactician last night, matching lines early and often. I think a new staple breakout play will be like the one on the Laich Ward gaffe.

I am thinking about heading to Kettler at lunch and tell Dale to let Ovi play RW. He had a nice drive down RW and curled behind the net. No one touched him. They couldnt poke the puck protected along the boards. Nothing came out of it, but it was refreshing to see hockey basics like that. Make that LD have to hit him. The way the league is now, the D dont hit. He cannot make that simple play on LW. LW, he has to shoot or get rid of the puck upon entering, or go backhand wide which he doesnt do. Going down RW will give our other players time to get into the play.

Old
11-30-2011, 09:34 AM
BTCG

Quote:
They will go on a winning streak.

But the issues of D and goaltending aren't going away.

There is also the issue of quitting, which many of em did.

To me, it's disgusting when I look at what has happened... and this team will never right the ship with McPhee at the helm.

Old
11-30-2011, 09:37 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
They will go on a winning streak.

But the issues of D and goaltending aren't going away.

There is also the issue of quitting, which many of em did.

To me, it's disgusting when I look at what has happened... and this team will never right the ship with McPhee at the helm.
Sadly this is looking more and more true. I used to hate on the guy and then he started drafting well and building a decent team with some good trades and signings like Brash, Cooke, Poti (who suprisingly worked out well) etc so I cut him some slack.

His offseason moves looked good on paper (save for Hamrlik).

I still think the Caps are just cursed as a franchise and a grey cloud hangs over them preventing a culture of winning to take a life of its own.

I also agree (as should everyone) that the D without Green is horrible this year.

Old
11-30-2011, 09:43 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Sadly this is looking more and more true. I used to hate on the guy and then he started drafting well and building a decent team with some good trades and signings like Brash, Cooke, Poti (who suprisingly worked out well) etc so I cut him some slack.

His offseason moves looked good on paper (save for Hamrlik).

I still think the Caps are just cursed as a franchise and a grey cloud hangs over them preventing a culture of winning to take a life of its own.

I also agree (as should everyone) that the D without Green is horrible this year.
For every Brash, Cooke, and Poti, there was a Kiwi, Kritchstiff, Mironov, Marshall, Doig (need I continue?): far more bad than good.

Yeah, we had a fire sale that actually worked out well.

But it's all been squandered, and whether we like it or not, we're looking at another rebuild, and given McPhee's track record, I have no confidence in him. He's had a decade, and look at where we are.

Sorry, guess I should just look at the good.

Old
11-30-2011, 09:46 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

there is a huge difference between a mocking chant like in toronto and a hero chant that you are suggesting at home. ov knows what the whoop means. you think it would be a smooth move to start whooping ov? be clear about what you are saying. you want mvp mvp chant or a mocking oooooovvveeeeee ooooooovvvveeeee chant like what he might get in pittsburgh next time?

Old
11-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
there is a huge difference between a mocking chant like in toronto and a hero chant that you are suggesting at home. ov knows what the whoop means. you think it would be a smooth move to start whooping ov? be clear about what you are saying. you want mvp mvp chant or a mocking oooooovvveeeeee ooooooovvvveeeee chant like what he might get in pittsburgh next time?
Ha, sadly I think an "MVP" chant would probably be perceived as mocking at this point. He just wants an "OV" chant, which I guess could work somewhat. He definitely seems to respond to negativity from road crowds. I don't really recall how he's reacted at home.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote