HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Was the Pronger Trade Worth it?

Old
11-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
You're going to leave a scar picking at that scab all the time. The trade, that is; not Richards.
No, but I'm pretty sure that if you don't trade for Pronger, Richards is still here.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
So was Richards'.
And Gagne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No, but I'm pretty sure that if you don't trade for Pronger, Richards is still here.
This is a big hangup for me; entrusting the future of the franchise to an old player instead of someone younger. It's clear they decided to hitch their wagon to someone who was starting to physically decline. I'm not sure I trust the wisdom there.

11-29-2011, 01:08 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Holmgren was bidding against himself in acquiring Pronger. I think that is the thing that people do forget. No other team even aproached the Ducks about Pronger except for Holmgren. It doesnt matter who those players were that the Ducks drafted with the 1st rounders we gave them. The price shouldnt of been that high. Losing Sbisa and the 1st that year was fine. The 1st the following year should of been conditional on winning the Cup. not the 3rd.
The contract extension was stupid and another case of piss poor mismangement. No one in the organization failed to realize the contract was a 35+ one until it was too late and filed with the league. Someone didnt do their homework and now its beginning to look like its going to bite us in the ass. big time.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:51 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quantitive analysis of Pronger's worth thus far

Posted this in the trade rumor complicated by the cap thread but the data are pretty revealing...

Quote:
After a heartbreaking loss to the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals, over the 2010-11 season and the start of this year, the Flyers have suited up 116 times — Pronger has played in only 66 of those games.

The 37-year-old captain appeared in three of the Flyers’ 11 2010-11 playoff games, 50 of 82 regular season games and this season, Pronger took the ice in just 13 of the Flyers’ 23 games. Add it up and over the past 13 months, the defenseman missed a total of 50 games.

(The following table is from www.tsn.ca)

2011/11/28 Knee surgery, sidelined indefinitely.
2011/11/21 Illness, day-to-day.
2011/11/09 Missed 6 games (right eye injury).
2011/11/01 Right eye injury, injured reserve.
2011/10/26 Right eye injury, sidelined indefinitely.
2011/05/06 Missed 3 playoff games (undisclosed).
2011/05/02 Undisclosed, day-to-day.
2011/04/24 Missed the last 16 games of the regular season and 5 playoff games (right hand injury).
2011/03/10 Right hand injury, day-to-day.
2011/03/03 Missed 1 game (hand injury).
2011/02/26 Hand injury, day-to-day.
2011/01/20 Missed 13 games (right foot surgery).
2010/12/18 Right foot surgery, injured reserve.
2010/10/11 Missed 2 games (knee surgery).
2010/10/07 Knee surgery, day-to-day.
2009/07/07 Signed by the Philadelphia Flyers to a multi-year contract extension.
2009/06/26 Acquired from the Anaheim Ducks.

Throw in the recently reported surgery list per Sam Carchidi (five over the last 16 months) and the future looks blurry for No. 20 in orange.

Is he wearing down? Apparently, the Flyers may think so.

http://thehockeyguys.net/flyers-read...gger-on-trade/
Figured I'd bump this since the list will be longer and more extended....ugh!

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 12-09-2011 at 01:31 PM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:14 PM
BillDineen

IMO was trading for Pronger a bad move? No. Was his contract extension a bad move? Yes.

Was signing a number one goalie in Bryzgalov a bad move? No. Was his contract length ridiculous? Yes.

(Check out Capgeek's buyout calc for Bryz. Cap hit through 2027-28!!!

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calcul...player_id=1141 )

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Prongo
Beer

If the next CBA has an amnesty buy-out, do you buy-out Bryz contract or Prongers?

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:55 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
If the next CBA has an amnesty buy-out, do you buy-out Bryz contract or Prongers?
Ooooo that's tough. If Bob's play is better then Bryz this whole season I say buyout Bryz.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Id do pronger.. You guys need to realize that bryz had a bad start.. then went something like 5-0-1 in a 6 game period. Chillax.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
It's way to early to think about buying out Bryz, and this is coming from someone who despises that contract. We're only about 20 games into a 720+ game contract.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:32 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Bump...see post 179 above

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I say buy out Bryz. Prong you can put him on LTIR for the rest of his career with numerous injuries to site, such as concussion, nerve degeneration and now knee issues. He could potentially retire due to injuries and not count against the cap.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:15 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I say buy out Bryz. Prong you can put him on LTIR for the rest of his career with numerous injuries to site, such as concussion, nerve degeneration and now knee issues. He could potentially retire due to injuries and not count against the cap.
My understanding, his contract will count against the cap if he retires (35+ contract)

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
My understanding, his contract will count against the cap if he retires (35+ contract)
I dont think so if we can prove it was early retirement due to injuries. And the whole nerve thing should be pretty easy to prove , as well as a variety of others that he has sustained this year.

Old
12-09-2011, 02:40 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
I dont think so if we can prove it was early retirement due to injuries. And the whole nerve thing should be pretty easy to prove , as well as a variety of others that he has sustained this year.
Even that doesn't matter. Retiring is retiring, and it counts.

He would have to be injured and attempting to come back in order for us to LTIR him. This is what we did with Rathje and what we are doing with Lappy. (Although Lappy is shady, because the Flyers don't appear to be faking an attempt to come back very much.) Notice that Lappy has never retired, because he can't officially say "I'm retired" because it would screw the Flyers.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post

He would have to be injured and attempting to come back in order for us to LTIR him. This is what we did with Rathje and what we are doing with Lappy. (Although Lappy is shady, because the Flyers don't appear to be faking an attempt to come back very much.) Notice that Lappy has never retired, because he can't officially say "I'm retired" because it would screw the Flyers.

When i said retire i meant figuratively. With the Nerve situation we can just say we are waiting for the the nerve to start responding and wait for it to fully grow and heal....and that may or may not take 5 years or so wink wink

Old
12-09-2011, 03:05 PM
brucewaynegretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post

Pronger falls in that same category. One more serious injury and he's likely to be able to get that doctor's note saying never fit to play again.

brucewaynegretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewaynegretzky View Post
Pronger falls in that same category. One more serious injury and he's likely to be able to get that doctor's note saying never fit to play again.
I think he already has the doctors note

Old
12-09-2011, 03:14 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
When i said retire i meant figuratively. With the Nerve situation we can just say we are waiting for the the nerve to start responding and wait for it to fully grow and heal....and that may or may not take 5 years or so wink wink
ok, gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewaynegretzky View Post
I understand that. I just misunderstood him and thought that he believed Pronger could ACTUALLY retire due to injuries, thus removing his cap hit.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote