HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bucky: Miller for Ryan has been discussed. Maybe. "Connecting the dots."

Old
11-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
I know it's not the focus of this thread, so I apologize for that, but please stop with the argument that the Sabres made the playoffs because Enroth "played standing on his head." He had a save percentage of .907 and a goals against average of 2.73. He was adequate when he had to fill in for Miller. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for the potential here, I will say the same thing I have been. Any trade involving Miller (even though I think it unlikely it's even being discussed) has to include a goaltender coming back in return. I think we all agree on that though. I also can't quite see a Miller for Hiller trade straight up, so...
not necessarily... another goaltender could be acquired via a separate trade

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Kevbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The list is interesting in that there are a variety of former Sabre employees/players on it in Martin, Lever, Dudley, Baseggio, and Luce. Looks like old home week. Heck, three of them still live in the area.
I was thinking the same thing

And man that's seems a long list for early in the season. However to your point, many of those guys still live in the area and I'm comparing it to the randaom handfuls of guys I used to see on the Thrashers press box lists.

Kevbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:26 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Miller's statement is quite strong. If he had requested a trade, I'd expect his response to be more muted than that, or no response at all.

That doesn't change the fact that we have ONE statement directly attributed to the man, and everything else is innuendo.
I dunno. Miller usually says it how it is, but he also knows Buffalo fans very well. He knows how he would be treated if he indeed had requested or even brought up the possibility.

This whole thing is a circus and really needs to end soon. Either Darcy needs to come out and say he isn't going anywhere or a deal has to be made. Now that he's practicing in full we can't have all this speculation hanging over his head.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:27 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
not necessarily... another goaltender could be acquired via a separate trade
True, and good point. However, you better have that other trade lined up at about the same time. Otherwise you are leaving the Sabres with Enroth and Macintyre. You want that for your long term solution?

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:27 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Boy, with all these theories and assumptions running around here, I think half of you would be a great interview for the next .... History Channels... "Back to Area 51, new evidence.... Alien abduction".

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbeau View Post
I was thinking the same thing

And man that's seems a long list for early in the season. However to your point, many of those guys still live in the area and I'm comparing it to the randaom handfuls of guys I used to see on the Thrashers press box lists.
A few of those guys are in the house in Buffalo on many nights, if you know who to look for and where. Granted, Whammer did comment that the one box was particularly full. Granted, the other was particularly empty (though I did think Phil may have been in it, sans tam).

BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
I dunno. Miller usually says it how it is, but he also knows Buffalo fans very well. He knows how he would be treated if he indeed had requested or even brought up the possibility.

This whole thing is a circus and really needs to end soon. Either Darcy needs to come out and say he isn't going anywhere or a deal has to be made. Now that he's practicing in full we can't have all this speculation hanging over his head.
Yes, but even if Darcy, Ruff, Miller (who already has) and God came out and said that a trade involving Miller was not in the works, there would be some people who would not believe it.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kevbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
True, and good point. However, you better have that other trade lined up at about the same time. Otherwise you are leaving the Sabres with Enroth and Macintyre. You want that for your long term solution?
Que up the conspiracy theorists.

"Hasek was in town last week!"

Old
11-30-2011, 12:30 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Yes.

It was also noted that Murray was in Syracuse over the weekend looking at his own players on the Crunch, so it wouldn't exactly be crazy to think he'd stop in Buffalo on his way back for no good reason.

This stuff happens ALL THE TIME. NHL scouts and GMs are always looking around, attending games. Smoke doesn't always mean fire.
Exactly.

Also, as I stated last night the Leafs are home tonight. I bet all those guys are heading to ACC as well. Last night could have just been a stop on the road before heading to Toronto.

Old
11-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Kevbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
A few of those guys are in the house in Buffalo on many nights, if you know who to look for and where. Granted, Whammer did comment that the one box was particularly full. Granted, the other was particularly empty (though I did think Phil may have been in it, sans tam).
You'd get that at Philips too. Around trade deadlines, the list would be packed, but sometimes the seats empty. There was a few guys who were either ex-Flames still in the area, or previously associated with the Thrashers that would show up every now and then.

Old
11-30-2011, 12:58 PM
BuzzKillington90

Quote:
Exactly.

Also, as I stated last night the Leafs are home tonight. I bet all those guys are heading to ACC as well. Last night could have just been a stop on the road before heading to Toronto.
Its been reported from a ton of different places that Murray will be in Toronto tonight...

Not only that but ever since the rumor began, Bobby Ryan has been annihilated by Leafs fans via Twitter...

Ah the life of a professional sports athlete

BuzzKillington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:07 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
call me crazy but my guess is that they were watching players in the lineup, so that would be players other than Miller.

Right now the Sabres have a logjam of prospects on the backend playing for the Amerks and because of the commitments they have made to their current roster there just won't be enough spots for all these players once they develop. There isn't even enough spots for them to all play in Rochester.

If a trade does happen I believe it will involve one of our young defense prospects, and if you believe in the timing of things Joe Finley did get a two contract this week. So right now we have:

Grags
Weber
T.J. Breenan
Brayden McNabb
Joe Finley
Matt MacKenize (currently playing forward for the amerks)
Alex Biega
Dennis Persson
Drew Schiestel

So that is 8 young defencemen all competing for at the very most 3 spots in the next few years and that is assuming that Regehr and Leopold leave. If we resign them then we are taking about 1-2 spots. Obviously they are prospects and not everyone makes it to the big league but something has to be done to break the logjam.
I realize they would be here to look at people that were actually playing. I was wondering how the hell Bucky thought it made sense they were here to look at Ryan Miller. It doesn't. He was insinuating that was who they were here to look at. I agree with you on the bolded.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:08 PM
sabres19892

I don't think we'd want Hiller. Two goalies named J(h)onas? Come on get real.

sabres19892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKillington90 View Post
Its been reported from a ton of different places that Murray will be in Toronto tonight...

Not only that but ever since the rumor began, Bobby Ryan has been annihilated by Leafs fans via Twitter...

DARCY BETTER HURRY UP! DO SOMETHING DARCY!

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:18 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Come on, why would Murray NEED to scout Miller, as if he hasn't watched/known about Miller's career all these years and what he brings to the table. Young dmen are another story, and how is Stafford playing.

Miller is a known commodity

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:23 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:

See. Didn't even need to be reported. He's in Buffalo last night and Toronto has a home game the next night... GMs and scouts from out of the area will likely hit both because they can.

Old
11-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
See. Didn't even need to be reported. He's in Buffalo last night and Toronto has a home game the next night... GMs and scouts from out of the area will likely hit both because they can.
Yep, that's pretty common. It doesn't get a lot of press in TBN though. It's not like they could use the opportunity to go talk to people from around the league, use it for story leads and things. Instead, it's the same badly veiled axes ground daily.

I miss Jim Kelley. Hell, I miss Tim Graham.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:34 PM
BuzzKillington90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
DARCY BETTER HURRY UP! DO SOMETHING DARCY!
I've quietly come to the realization we'll be in the hunt....

But Darcy will not be willing to out-bid/part with whats needed to get Ryan....

I see him going to Toronto or Boston....which if it's boston...good god the rich get richer.....

I will happily eat crow if it's us or even someone else, but right now thats what I see happening.

Old
11-30-2011, 01:39 PM
keithLGA

So, all of this speculation for a guy passing through town to see a player that wasn't even playing? I should post a list of scouts from various teams that are at every Amerks game and then start "connecting the dots." Heck, some of them were probably at the Amerks game this past weekend "looking to snag some prospects."

keithLGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:40 PM
ct2111

Quote:
I've quietly come to the realization we'll be in the hunt....

But Darcy will not be willing to out-bid/part with whats needed to get Ryan....

I see him going to Toronto or Boston....which if it's boston...good god the rich get richer.....

I will happily eat crow if it's us or even someone else, but right now thats what I see happening.

Regier has been accused of "falling in love" with his draftees in the past. Given we're talking about a player of Ryan's pedigree who is coveted by 29 other teams I can't see him outbiding all other GMs either. I'll eat crow though, if he lands in Toronto. Maybe I'm underrating their guys, but I don't see them having the pieces to realistically get him. Maybe Burke "robs" Murray again...

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:42 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

My guess is that the Miller + X for Ryan + Y connect the dots conversation starter was likely Regier calling up Murray after seeing reports that Bobby Ryan was on the market and then Murray asking in response about Miller due to the report that Miller wouldn't object to a deal out of Dodge.

I believe that there is some smoke there.

But, I also believe that given the Sabres' cap situation and the Ducks' budget situation, that the two are poor dance partners.

In the end, I see Brian Burke putting together a monster package to acquire a guy that he drafted in Anaheim in Bobby Ryan. Something like Schenn & Kadri for Ryan would blow away anything that the Sabres would offer.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:47 PM
PanicItsVanek26

http://twitter.com/#!/chrisbottanhl

Chris Botta Writer of Metro Puck column for The NY Times: It may not lead to a Bobby Ryan deal, but I can confirm the Ducks and Sabres are discussing a possible trade.

PanicItsVanek26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Botta's pretty dialed in. He's a shift-disturber in the press the likes of which Bucky is a pale imitation.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:51 PM
BuzzKillington90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
My guess is that the Miller + X for Ryan + Y connect the dots conversation starter was likely Regier calling up Murray after seeing reports that Bobby Ryan was on the market and then Murray asking in response about Miller due to the report that Miller wouldn't object to a deal out of Dodge.

I believe that there is some smoke there.

But, I also believe that given the Sabres' cap situation and the Ducks' budget situation, that the two are poor dance partners.

In the end, I see Brian Burke putting together a monster package to acquire a guy that he drafted in Anaheim in Bobby Ryan. Something like Schenn & Kadri for Ryan would blow away anything that the Sabres would offer.
The cap isn't as big of an issue to me as the lack of willingness to give up assets...

Technically Stafford + Pysek(sp)/McNabb and a 1st should do it, but if we wanna outbid Toronto we will have to overpay...Something like Stafford/Ennis/D-man - our 2nd.

Its a gross overpayment, but probably what we'll need to get him...I'd do it personally, given that Ennis needs a new contract.....but I doubt regier will.

Old
11-30-2011, 01:57 PM
ADoubleD

I was just about to post about Botta's tweet, and to add that I saw a tweet saying the Sabres were asking about Parros. NHLInsights was the name of the account, not sure how reliable they are just putting it out there.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote