HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game Thread: Bruins @ Pittsburgh l 11/01/03 l 1 ET l NESN

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-01-2003, 01:03 PM
  #51
Tim O'Reilly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa, Ont.
Posts: 2,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return of the Vin
Get back to me at the All-Star break.
.........they won't, the Pens will be in dead last by then...........

Tim O'Reilly is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 01:06 PM
  #52
BlacknGold Barbarino
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim O'Reilly
.........they won't, the Pens will be in dead last by then...........
He shoots.....he scores.

BlacknGold Barbarino is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 01:18 PM
  #53
DJ Spinoza
Registered User
 
DJ Spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 12,853
vCash: 500
On Fata:

He was drafted sixth overall in 1998, as I'm sure most of you probably know. If you'll take a look at that draft (http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1998e.html), you'll see a number of players who have only recently began playing in the NHL.

Fata has bounced around from team to team, and hasn't done much until the beginning of this year for the Pens. It was always said that he has the tools but no toolbox to put them in (sorry for the cliche).

To me, it seems that he has found his toolbox this year. I've seen every Pens game this season, except for the first one. Fata knows how to use his speed offensively and defensively. He's been playing well, and has been one of if not the best Pens to start the season.

The bottom line is that he is still only 23 years old. That is too young to give up on a player. (Same thing goes for guys like Kraft and Brendl). Maybe he is just off to a hot start, but I don't think so. His whole game has been good this year. He is obviously talented, as he was picked so high in the draft. What matters is what you can do with your talent, which is what seperates the stars from the 'busts.'

Fata looks like he knows what to do with his talent now. He's found a home in Pittsburgh, and is doing well. Give some frigging credit where credit is due.

Same goes for the game today. Your teams was outplayed. It happens. It's not the end of the world.

To bash your opponent is to belittle your own team. I am not trying to be up on a soapbox here, because I have done the same thing before.

The Pens were just the better team today. If you want to be bitter and throw insults at Pens players and the whole team, be my guest.

It won't change the fact that the Pens outplayed the Bruins today and won the hard fought game 3-2 in overtime.

See you in January.

DJ Spinoza is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 01:33 PM
  #54
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 29,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
Same goes for the game today. Your teams was outplayed. It happens. It's not the end of the world.

To bash your opponent is to belittle your own team. I am not trying to be up on a soapbox here, because I have done the same thing before.

The Pens were just the better team today. If you want to be bitter and throw insults at Pens players and the whole team, be my guest.

It won't change the fact that the Pens outplayed the Bruins today and won the hard fought game 3-2 in overtime.

See you in January.
these people are hilarious. i thought it was only montreal fans, but they seem to be all over the place. the b's were outplayed??? you've gotta be kidding me. maybe pittsburgh outplayed them in the 3rd period, but overall, there's no way you can say that. the fact is, the bruins beat themselves today. if you don't believe it, take the penguin-colored sunglasses off, and watch the 3rd again. thornton behaved like a drunk 18 year old at a frat party, looking for a fight. raycroft had a tough period, and the penguins capitalized. does it change the fact that the pens are probably the worst team in the entire league? i don't think it does.

neelynugs is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 01:44 PM
  #55
DJ Spinoza
Registered User
 
DJ Spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 12,853
vCash: 500
The Pens were outplayed in the first, I should have mentioned that.

They played the Bruins tough in the second, and the second goal was the result of an outstanding play by Rolston.

They outplayed Boston in the third.


Quote:
raycroft had a tough period, and the penguins capitalized. does it change the fact that
the Pens won today fair and square?

Nope.


DJ Spinoza is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 01:58 PM
  #56
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size
 
OneMoreAstronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,614
vCash: 1360
Just because I've seen a few small rumblings about Razor already (ONE average game? COME ON, people, relax), I'd like to ask everyone to not be so fickle as to give up on EITHER of our two tenders should a rough game come along. It happens to every team and every goaltender.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 03:10 PM
  #57
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 28,501
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal(M)eth
What a totally ignorant post...

Last time I checked Fata had more goals than Kovy has points...show me another fwd. who is playing better hockey for his team.

Good luck looking, because you won't find one.

Pens have expansion team talent? lmao...

They have 4 rookies that have a shot at the Calder with their impressive play..

Such as Orpik who was laying our half your team...

Or Koltsov who laid out your "captain" and made him take a stupid penalty that lead to the tying goal..

Or Malone who won the game in OT...

Fluery? No need to talk about him...if you don't know who he is then lol...

Last time I checked, Pens played without Mario for almost 2 periods as well..

You are right tho..Bruins blew it..refs cheated...Pens suck..Fata is a minor leaguer..*rolls eyes*

Let me hear some more excuses...totally ridiculous

You sound just like the Flyer and Wings fans after the Pens did this to them...but it was a fluke..uhhuh.
we'll see where the Pens end up; first off, I'll rip the Broons like I did last game against the Habs they were flat out horrible. I give you credit though- it was only 10 years ago the Pens had maybe the best second line of alltime in Francis-Mullen and Jagr; the first line wasn't to bad with Tochett and Stevens on Mario's wings; heck, I go back to the days of Syl Apps centering Pronovost and McDonald with Kehoe, Kelly and LaRouche on second line. Its not like I've just discovered them. It disgusts me that team has been dismantled piece by piece. I give you credit becuase you still remain a fan. Your better than me- because I'd have said screw it along time ago. To me, they are following the same sorry path the Pirates my favorite National League team is going- cutting costs and screwing the fans over. Maybe with a new CBA the Pens can compete with the rest- however, you say they are on the right path? I hope your right. I am not so sure- but we'll see.

As for Fata...interesting you brought him up because I was saying the same thing as you were with friends (and 3 NHL scouts) two years ago at a Lowell-St Johns game and I was pooh-poohed. Hey, he looked fast as hell to me and pretty good but the consensus in the group was third liner or bust- basically, he's going to have to reinvent his game and be a checker. I played alot of hockey but I'm sure know scout- as I have said before, heck, I thought Mats Timander was going to be a stud. But back to Fata- scouts are wrong so we'll see, I hope for your teams sake.

As for Orpik and eventually Whitney we'll see...I've heard decent stuff but nothing spectacular especially Whitney. Orpik cranked it up in the weight room so we'll see how he sustains it but he has a lot of McLaren in him- which aint really a bad thing- but he's got a pretty good disposition and in the past isn't always on seek and destroy missions. Again, lets see how it plays out.

As for Thornton laying out- he has been to preoccupied with worrying about the refs- and the refs were horsesh*t, maybe its the Broons feed but Andy Brickley and Bob Beers both after couching their remarks on the Bruins third period play basically came out and said this was the worst refereeing of the year. The comments were you can't let the referee's get you off your game.

I still think the Pens will finish at or near the bottom and if Fleury is as good as everyone says they may suprise but I don't think so...again, I give you guys credit for watching Kovolev, Jagr, Naslund et al leaving but I don't see Rico Fata as a 30 goal guy- but I've been wrong enough to know that it can happen; and I'm all for the small skilled guys like he succeeding.

Arrogant- at times- but don't ever compare me to a Red Wings fan.

DKH is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 03:12 PM
  #58
Ortdogg
Registered User
 
Ortdogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoria, Canada
Posts: 1,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal(M)eth
Well then your team is so bad they just lost to the worst team in the league... w/o Mario.

What does that say about the state of your team?

all it says to me is that they had an off game, there is no way (if you know anything about the sport) that you can say pittsburgh is a better team than the bruins....

pitssburgh did beat detriot as well ill give you that, but does that mean that they are better than detroit? no!

what it is about the penguins, and why the bruins lost to them and detroit lost to them is that they just didnt give 100%. why you ask, because all the players in the league, all of the fans and all of the critics and announcers know pittsburgh is the worst team in the nhl.

boston did what they do best, play down to their oppenents abilty. the bruins gave the penguins 2 pts....bottom line. they came out flat in the 3rd because they thought they had the game won, pittsburgh got some favourable calls inthe 3rd, 3 strait penalties to the bruins, seems like its becoming a trend this year

anyways, fluery did play well, fata had a strong period...not game!

as for lemieux i think the pens are a better team without him. face it he aint what he used to be, i think with him in the lineup the kids on the team rely on him to carry the team and he just cant do it anymore, pittsburgh looked like a totally different team after he went down.


bruins are still 100% better than pittsburgh. as the end of year standings will verify

Ortdogg is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 03:16 PM
  #59
DJ Spinoza
Registered User
 
DJ Spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 12,853
vCash: 500
Nothing will change the fact that Pittsburgh beat Detroit and Boston fair and square. The Pens won the games, the refs didn't and the opposing team didn't throw them.

DJ Spinoza is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 03:19 PM
  #60
Ortdogg
Registered User
 
Ortdogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoria, Canada
Posts: 1,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
Nothing will change the fact that Pittsburgh beat Detroit and Boston fair and square. The Pens won the games, the refs didn't and the opposing team didn't throw them.

Pittsburgh didnt beat anybody today, the bruins beat themselves. i thought that was pretty clear

Ortdogg is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 03:20 PM
  #61
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd
 
The Tang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh. PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,242
vCash: 500
you know, when the Pens were on of the best teams in the 90's, they got beat by weaker teams all the time. why? not becasue of bad refing, not because they were taking dumb penalties, but because they saw themselves above the the team they played, thinking their skill couldnt be over come in any way. and you know what happened just about eveyrtime? the bad team came out busting their tails off and beat the Pens. we've been through more games like this than you have, and we didnt blame refs or call the other team and ahl team. we realized the Pens were lazy and underestimated the opponents, felt dumb, and sucked it up.

the Red Wing fans said the same thing about their loss. why is it so hard to beleive you got beat by a team with less skill? it's hockey, it happens, learn to live with it. you can come up with any excuse you want, but unless you ger screwed like Buffalo did in game 7 OT, you have no right to complain.

in summation, the Pens kept busting their butts even when things looked bleak and the bruins got lazy. that is what happened.

The Tang is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 03:27 PM
  #62
DJ Spinoza
Registered User
 
DJ Spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 12,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrtDogg19
Pittsburgh didnt beat anybody today, the bruins beat themselves. i thought that was pretty clear
Any more excuses?


DJ Spinoza is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 03:34 PM
  #63
tom_servo
Registered User
 
tom_servo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 11,020
vCash: 500
The worst insult that I've seen levied at the Pens is that they're merely an ECHL or AHL team. That's simply not fair to the guys who worked hard to break the lineup, all of whom are having impressive seasons.

Are the Bruins a better team? Most definitely. But come back a couple months from now, and people might say, hey, despite the obscure names on their roster, those Pens really can put up a fight.

The Bruins haven't been the first "far superior" opponent to lose a point to the Penguins. And that counts for something.

tom_servo is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 05:36 PM
  #64
Magnus Fulgur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 7,354
vCash: 500
Joe Schmoe

"thornton behaved like a drunk 18 year old at a frat party, looking for a fight"

That is apparently not the first time he's done this. To be honest, I do not like the Joe Thornton who is our first line center and captain this year. Yeah, that's my agenda. I'm anti-thornton. I HATE his game. So he's big and strong and talented. Big whoop. He's also playing like a moron. He needs to lose the C yesterday.

Magnus Fulgur is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 06:49 PM
  #65
GoPenguins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 2,441
vCash: 500
I think everyone here is in agreement that Boston is a much better team than Pittsburgh, and outplayed the Pens for the first part of the game. However, the game is 60 minutes long, and teams with two goal leads can be caught.

For this game, the Pens played with heart and their efforts were rewarded with a sterling comeback. We are not making rash predictions of Stanley Cup greatness, but are just enjoying seeing our team working their ***** off to try and get points. So far, with one or two exceptions, most of the Pens team have played their hearts out. Superior skills usually win you games, but sometimes the underdog bites back.

Pittsburgh is rightly regarded as a lower end NHL team for now. We should lose more than we win at the moment, as almost every team that take the ice against us has better scorers, defense etc. However, we will still spring surprises on teams that perhaps underestimate our fight and spirit. Today the underdog had its day. Us Pens fans hope we have many more. However, as long as our team gives us 100% effort and hustle, I'll be a happy fan.

GoPenguins is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 07:02 PM
  #66
Mayhem
Registered User
 
Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: PerfectStorm Country
Country: United States
Posts: 1,361
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mayhem
Solid Post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPenguins
I think everyone here is in agreement that Boston is a much better team than Pittsburgh, and outplayed the Pens for the first part of the game. However, the game is 60 minutes long, and teams with two goal leads can be caught.

For this game, the Pens played with heart and their efforts were rewarded with a sterling comeback. We are not making rash predictions of Stanley Cup greatness, but are just enjoying seeing our team working their ***** off to try and get points. So far, with one or two exceptions, most of the Pens team have played their hearts out. Superior skills usually win you games, but sometimes the underdog bites back.

Pittsburgh is rightly regarded as a lower end NHL team for now. We should lose more than we win at the moment, as almost every team that take the ice against us has better scorers, defense etc. However, we will still spring surprises on teams that perhaps underestimate our fight and spirit. Today the underdog had its day. Us Pens fans hope we have many more. However, as long as our team gives us 100% effort and hustle, I'll be a happy fan.
...I didn't see very much of the game but from what I did see the Pens work hard for everything they get. The Bruins probably should have won this game but like they say a hockey game is 60 minutes long(barring overtime) and to win you have to play all 60. And today the Bruins decided to quit after playing just 40 and it came back to bite them in the but. It will be a good uplifting win for the Pens and a wake up call for the Bruins that they desperately need after a couple of lackluster efforts in a row.

Mayhem is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 07:35 PM
  #67
DBL
Registered User
 
DBL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,748
vCash: 500
What I am going to say has nothing to do with the Pens has they played a great 3rd period and I guess you could say deserved the win.

But the problem I had with the Bruins this game is that when they did outplay the Pens through the 1st half of the game they themselves were playing really bad at the time. The Pens were so bad you couldn't really tell how bad the Bruins were playing cause the Pens were playing much worse.

All the Pens did was step it up abit in the 3rd while the Bruins continued there crappy play, if the Pens played like they did in the 3rd all game they easily would have won as the Bruins were clearly not on there game.

The real stinker about all this though, is the fact that they just didn't come out with a killer instinct to put them away when they full well knew they played a real crap period in the 2nd. When you have a period like that even if you winning or losing, you should come out and at least try to better the effort, not worsen it.

Another thing is, Raycroft had a chance to steal this game for the Bruins in the 3rd but it looked like he wasn't up for the challenge which is not a good sign, though, he is young, and bad games happen.

The good news is they get a 4 day rest because they looked emotionally dead out there the last two games.

Also I like Fluery, the kids amazing! What a glove hand...

DBL is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 11:28 PM
  #68
bruinmann77
Registered User
 
bruinmann77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: bronx ny
Country: United States
Posts: 5,825
vCash: 500
i have to disagree

To say razor was the cause of this game i disagree.
The first was a deflected shot and the second was a rebound that Boyton lost his man. the only goal i can blame him is the one in Ot

bruinmann77 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 11:34 PM
  #69
bruinmann77
Registered User
 
bruinmann77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: bronx ny
Country: United States
Posts: 5,825
vCash: 500
i have to disagree

To say razor was the cause of this game i disagree.
The first was a deflected shot and the second was a rebound that Boyton lost his man. the only goal i can blame him is the one in Ot

bruinmann77 is offline  
Old
11-02-2003, 05:27 AM
  #70
Koltsov71
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmann77
To say razor was the cause of this game i disagree.
The first was a deflected shot and the second was a rebound that Boyton lost his man. the only goal i can blame him is the one in Ot
I agree. Definitely wouldn't blame Raycroft. Regarding the third goal, I don't know how he missed it. The first time I saw it, I thought it Fata's stick and popped over Raycroft's shoulder and into the net. Either way, strange goal.

 
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.