HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andreas Nodl Claimed by Carolina

Old
11-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

vCash: 500
You could probably trade the soap-scrap soap for a quarter.

11-30-2011, 12:51 PM
BernieParent

Like the Internet-famous 1 red paperclip, Paul Holmgren's task should be to turn this:

into this:

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:53 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Like the Internet-famous 1 red paperclip, Paul Holmgren's task should be to turn this:

into this:

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Larry44
Where's Hovercraft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Show me the team in the league that doesn't has a contract it better wouldn't have signed.

Those contracts you named aren't unusual for an NHL team, everyone signs NHL veterans or takes them in trades, the unusual thing on our reserve list are the extreme high amount of young UFA prospects we sign, and that paid of.

Every player you named had been on waivers this season, none was claimed, we obviously couldn't get rid of them. We had to do something different.
Agreed. The college free agents paid off this year right away (Read, HarryZ) and the ones from last year (Gus, Holmstrom, Testwuide) will too. The only contracts we might regret are the Pither, Harper ones.

Anyway, I always liked Nodl, I think he can play in the league, but he's in the same boat as Carcillo was last year. Can be a good player, but always hurt when we needed him most (like Gus this year and Bartulis last year).

The purpose of the waivers process is so that teams can't bury good players like Nodl or Comeau in the minors when they have paid their dues and could be playing somewhere.

It's pretty clear that Homer offered Nodl to every team in the league, probably for future considerations, and got not takers. Hence his 'gauge interest in him' comment, which was aimed at all the GMs, Rutherford included, who told him they had none!

Good luck to him, we've got guys like Rinaldo and Harry Z playing ahead of him in the roster. Schenn is going to put one of those guys back to the AHL too, once everyone is healthy. And with Wellwood ready to come up too, and Testy and HolmerII, we can cover the role Nodl was supposed to play with someone healthy.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

It's pretty clear that Homer offered Nodl to every team in the league, probably for future considerations, and got not takers. Hence his 'gauge interest in him' comment, which was aimed at all the GMs, Rutherford included, who told him they had none!
There is zero evidence to support any of this. It isn't "clear" at all. How do you come up with this stuff?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:07 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Pronger sucked ass at it when he was in his early 20's too. Over time, he's learned how to deal with them. Richards is absolutely fine and relaxed with professional media types who know their ***** from a hole in the ground. Unfortunately, there aren't many of those types around Philly, and the guys who are in Philly who believe they are more important than the story are in abundance.

All those smaller pieces of soap can be made into something bigger and more useful. Interesting.
On 18, whats your point. he still didn't handle it well, I'm not looking for excuses as to why...He's the C. Media relations comes with the territory.

2nd point. Thats the difference between you (and many others) and myself. I can sleep at night letting this stuff go. In the long run, It's really minute. Andreas Nodl = player X. Easily replaced.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:09 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
But Homer didn't go to the store. He didn't get any new soap. He simply gave his little piece of soap to a neighbor for nothing. He should have made some dirty deal and got something back in return. Like, for instance, a quarter.
Lmfao...if he wanted a marginal forward that's going to be a healthy scratch he can get that VERY easy.

I feel like I'm watching an episode of hoarders, Nodl edition.

Old
11-30-2011, 02:20 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Lmfao...if he wanted a marginal forward that's going to be a healthy scratch he can get that VERY easy.
If he wants to get a serviceable NHL'er who does a good job defensively, costs very little, and can play 3rd/4th line minutes, he probably won't get one for free. Which is the entire issue, isn't it?

I don't think anyone is crying that Nodl is gone. What is frustrating is that it is just another giveaway in a long list of waste.

Homer has lucked out with some of his free agent signings. Let's not pretend it was a shrewd planned move. He threw a bunch of crap at the wall, and got very, very lucky that a couple of them stuck. What does this team look like right now without Read and Harry Z?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

He had to pursue and make those signing because we didn't have any draft picks due to his usual mismanagement of assets. At the time, those signing were essentially our draft.

edit: And yeah, that's what's frustrating about this Nodl situation...more mismanagement, more assets disappearing like a fart in the wind.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 11-30-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old
11-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

Where the hell get you your informations

Thats hard ^^ pure speculation mark as the truth

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:31 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
On 18, whats your point. he still didn't handle it well, I'm not looking for excuses as to why...He's the C. Media relations comes with the territory.

2nd point. Thats the difference between you (and many others) and myself. I can sleep at night letting this stuff go. In the long run, It's really minute. Andreas Nodl = player X. Easily replaced.
go check out some interviews hes had with the LA media so far. they are pretty easy to find. i think hes "handled" himself fairly well. He doesnt have to deal with idiots like Ryan Bright and Timmy P. anymore.
I dont lose any sleep over anything the Flyers do. Not with anything. whether the move was major or not.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

It doesn't matter that Nodl is easily replaced. That isn't the issue. The issue is that Holmgren got nothing in return for him, which is not a new phenomenon. For a team that loves trading away all its picks, we should be seeking to get some back whenever and however we can. Nodl is certainly worth a pick...instead, we got nothing.

Old
11-30-2011, 02:38 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
If he wants to get a serviceable NHL'er who does a good job defensively, costs very little, and can play 3rd/4th line minutes, he probably won't get one for free. Which is the entire issue, isn't it?

I don't think anyone is crying that Nodl is gone. What is frustrating is that it is just another giveaway in a long list of waste.

Homer has lucked out with some of his free agent signings. Let's not pretend it was a shrewd planned move. He threw a bunch of crap at the wall, and got very, very lucky that a couple of them stuck. What does this team look like right now without Read and Harry Z?
Harry Z is better than nodl because he is playing for us and Nodl wasn't. Right? He was "free".

I'm not frustrated at all throwing away "junk". Nodl just is not a valuable commodity.

All scouting is some measure of skill/luck. If it wasn't everyone drafted ect would work out. You honestly believe the flyers org are just winging it...<this guys name is cool, lets get him>. Any other "skilled" org could have picked up Read and z. A bunch already let read go.

Old
11-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Mike knuble is a nice guy, hard worker, ect. Losing him didnt change a darn thing...he's an easily replaceable player.

I'm typing on a phone...sometimes I'm trying to get it out fast...numbers are easier when names get autocorrected over and over. The actual value if these deals is irrelevant. The main reason PH gave in the PC for " the trades" was they were "good hockey deals". Just like Wayne gretzky to la...all hockey.

18 isn't a talker. He doesn't handle it well. Never did. Phi media is aggressive dumb and relentless. I'm not saying they are right, but he didn't diffuse the situation at all...he just exacerbated it with his no talk decree. Look at 20, he gets laughs, funny quotes, sarcasm...doesn't get serious about it.
Quote:

No, no, no. It is all of us LOFAO.
You are trying so hard to stay afloat in this. So you have to type numbers because you are on a phone, a la 18 and 17 and 20, but you can take the time to type out Andreas Nodl. Why isn't Player X good enough to get a number? Have a great day. With the laughs I've had, my day's been spectacular. Might even roll a quarter down a sidewalk.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Harry Z is better than nodl because he is playing for us and Nodl wasn't. Right? He was "free".

I'm not frustrated at all throwing away "junk". Nodl just is not a valuable commodity.

All scouting is some measure of skill/luck. If it wasn't everyone drafted ect would work out. You honestly believe the flyers org are just winging it...<this guys name is cool, lets get him>. Any other "skilled" org could have picked up Read and z. A bunch already let read go.
NHL-level players are vaulable. They are in limited supply. Just like quarters.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:42 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
go check out some interviews hes had with the LA media so far. they are pretty easy to find. i think hes "handled" himself fairly well. He doesnt have to deal with idiots like Ryan Bright and Timmy P. anymore.
I dont lose any sleep over anything the Flyers do. Not with anything. whether the move was major or not.
No doubt. Everyone loves him there right now. LA isn't the sports centric market phi is. He's also not the C either...less "accountability". I figured he'd be great in LA. This was not a good market for him as the C.

Old
11-30-2011, 02:47 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It doesn't matter that Nodl is easily replaced. That isn't the issue. The issue is that Holmgren got nothing in return for him, which is not a new phenomenon. For a team that loves trading away all its picks, we should be seeking to get some back whenever and however we can. Nodl is certainly worth a pick...instead, we got nothing.
And is this remotely preventing the NHL club from being top tier competitive? When we turn into the Isles after mibury I'll be concerned.
IMO PH has done a great job fixing
many of his "errors", and routinely so.

Old
11-30-2011, 02:52 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Wait, so we're praising Homer for fixing his own ****ups? Really??

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:52 PM
DUHockey9

This is really such a pointless debate, we might as well be debating politics or abortion or something haha.

Those of you that think Nodl is worthless will never be convinced that it is mis-managing assets. To you, Nodl is a penny you drop on the sidewalk and nothing more.

Then there are those, like myself, that view every single player, every single dollar, and every single draft pick as an asset; and giving away any of them, unless there is no other option, is a failure.

If you are running a company, you don't just brush wasted dollars under the rug. Your job is to run the company. You trim the fat, you reduce your operating expenses and be as efficient as possible. I believe that is how a hockey team should be run as well. If I continually waste dollars (assets), I'd expect my board of directors to kick me to the curb.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:53 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
No, no, no. It is all of us LOFAO.
You are trying so hard to stay afloat in this. So you have to type numbers because you are on a phone, a la 18 and 17 and 20, but you can take the time to type out Andreas Nodl. Why isn't Player X good enough to get a number? Have a great day. With the laughs I've had, my day's been spectacular. Might even roll a quarter down a sidewalk.
Lol nodl doesn't get auto corrected for me.

Lol people just see things differently. I'm laughing at the whole thing. Nobody is convincing anyone of anything...everyone's in their trench....it's still been enjoyable for me to shoot for 20 pages in this thread....

Old
11-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
And is this remotely preventing the NHL club from being top tier competitive? When we turn into the Isles after mibury I'll be concerned.
You know what would be better? If he didn't make stupid-as-hell mistakes in the first place.

Do tell...how has he fixed the Shelley signing? The Leighton signing, how did he correct that last year? Losing Knuble? Since he left, Knuble has been better than many players on this team and he still is, having him would be better than NOT having him.

Has he fixed the lacking defensive ability of our forward corps after losing Lappy and Betts, and dropping Powe, Carter, Richards and Gagne? No, he hasn't. If anything he's made the situation a bit worse by giving away a player who has established himself as being defensively responsible on the NHL level.

You might be perfectly OK with the GM of your sports team repeatedly making dumb mistakes, and often repeating those mistakes. I'm not. It hurts the team, and that isn't acceptable. Just because he also makes good moves doesn't mean the stupidity doesn't drag the team down as well.

Old
11-30-2011, 03:05 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
This is really such a pointless debate, we might as well be debating politics or abortion or something haha.

Those of you that think Nodl is worthless will never be convinced that it is mis-managing assets. To you, Nodl is a penny you drop on the sidewalk and nothing more.

Then there are those, like myself, that view every single player, every single dollar, and every single draft pick as an asset; and giving away any of them, unless there is no other option, is a failure.

If you are running a company, you don't just brush wasted dollars under the rug. Your job is to run the company. You trim the fat, you reduce your operating expenses and be as efficient as possible. I believe that is how a hockey team should be run as well. If I continually waste dollars (assets), I'd expect my board of directors to kick me to the curb.
No doubt mate. You strive for perfection/success. In a normal business you turn a profit you are doing well...?business has failed investments all the time. Enough and you get fired.

Pro sports is a bit different because there is only one measure of true success, which is hard to obtain...and there is no one way to do it...
Look at the Bs...swept by us, next year core roster the same + healthy, add a few nice prices and they win the cup. Bet nobody thought that the year before.

IMO, flyers are more + than -.

Old
11-30-2011, 03:05 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Holmgren got a 3rd round pick for Darroll Powe. Let's face it, thats more than he's worth. Just look at this as Powe & Nodl for a 3rd round pick

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Holmgren got a 3rd round pick for Darroll Powe. Let's face it, thats more than he's worth. Just look at this as Powe & Nodl for a 3rd round pick
I don't really care about losing Nodl, but how did you determine that a 3rd round pick is worth more than Powe? Also, considering Nodl was himself a 2nd round pick, how is it a good deal to lose both Powe & Nodl for a 3rd round pick? The only thing good that came out of this is a freed up contract and some, although very little, extra cap space. Both of them were expendable, though, so I don't disagree with that, but if I could, I would like to have Powe back.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Go For It

Quote:
No doubt mate. You strive for perfection/success. In a normal business you turn a profit you are doing well...?business has failed investments all the time. Enough and you get fired.

Pro sports is a bit different because there is only one measure of true success, which is hard to obtain...and there is no one way to do it...
Look at the Bs...swept by us, next year core roster the same + healthy, add a few nice prices and they win the cup. Bet nobody thought that the year before.

IMO, flyers are more + than -.
To continue your business analogy, just turning a profit isn't enough. Your goal is to maximize your profit. In order to do this, you need to get take care of your assets, and somehow use them to your advantage. Just letting one go without getting anything back when that asset itself is still serviceable isn't doing this.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote