HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 Around the League Discussion

Old
10-24-2011, 11:31 PM
BelovedIsles

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
There's a ton of talent out there, every year filters a new wave of young talent. Even a team like Winnipeg, who looked hapless to start the season, was downright dominant tonight (and still found a way to lose, young teams do that). I was clamoring for RNH last year, wasn't in the cards, he's transitioning to the NHL quite well.

The collective (emerging and mainstay) talent around the league puts the Isles in perspective, humbling.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:52 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
There's a ton of talent out there, every year filters a new wave of young talent. Even a team like Winnipeg, who looked hapless to start the season, was downright dominant tonight (and still found a way to lose, young teams do that). I was clamoring for RNH last year, wasn't in the cards, he's transitioning to the NHL quite well.

The collective (emerging and mainstay) talent around the league puts the Isles in perspective, humbling.
same here! then he kept climbing up the draft list, couturier dropped (whom I also liked a great deal) - and so it goes.

I wasn't crazy about the strome pick at the time but I've grown to like him. I think he'll be a solid player.

RNH will still be the best player in that draft but Landeskog looks great, so does Couturier, Larsson. I hope Strome becomes the next Denis Savard - starting next year.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

9-8 for Winnipeg in Philly last night.

Wow, those who attended that game will never forget that.

Crazy, crazy stuff!

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 02:10 PM
TheBoss22

Last night was a really weird night for sports.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:05 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
One of the better games of the year so far. Caps fight back from two deficits all game, win in OT. Boudreau called upon his grinders, who have girt, size, and mobility to lead the charge (and insightfully, NOT Ovie). Boy would I love to have a Chimera, Ward, or Laich on the Island. Caps are very deep and seem to have the grit factor that caters to PO style hockey and when/if Ovie doesn't deliver. Then again, your best players have to be your hardest working.

For all the accolades Fowler receives, his defensive zone play has always been tabbed as a weakness; he's still has some work to do in that area. I would take a Lydman type D man as a top-4 upgrade.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
One of the better games of the year so far. Caps fight back from two deficits all game, win in OT. Boudreau called upon his grinders, who have girt, size, and mobility to lead the charge (and insightfully, NOT Ovie). Boy would I love to have a Chimera, Ward, or Laich on the Island. Caps are very deep and seem to have the grit factor that caters to PO style hockey and when/if Ovie doesn't deliver. Then again, your best players have to be your hardest working.

For all the accolades Fowler receives, his defensive zone play has always been tabbed as a weakness; he's still has some work to do in that area. I would take a Lydman type D man as a top-4 upgrade.
That game was a lot of fun. The Chimera-Laich-Ward line is a real treat. It keeps opponents really busy.

Cool seeing talents like Selanne and Backstrom putting up points and doing what they're paid for - and what entertains the fans.

Old
11-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Mundy
Crikey

Hitchcock's first game in charge of the Blues tonight against the Hawks. Should be interesting.

Mundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:12 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Watching the Flyers on NHL NBC, they play with unbelievable tempo and finish their checks. Obviously they have more talent then us, but IMO, not by much. If we played under Laviolette's system or even Bylsma's we'd be unbelieveable. Just saying. (Besides the silly chess match moments)

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:02 PM
hockeygoon15

Anyone seeing the craziness of the flyers/lightning game? Tampa is playing a 1-3-1 with the back man at the defensive hash marks, 3 on the red line and 1 on the attacking blue line. They dump the puck in and refuse to forecheck, so Philly refuses to being the puck out of the zone! I call shannagins. Never seen anything like this before... What are you thoughts?

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Symon Asher

The NHL needs to outlaw the trap or any other passive forechecks. Just like the NBA use to do with zone defense. First. Time warning after that 2 minute penalty. No one wants to pay good money to see that first period.

Symon Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Isles Junkie

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 04:32 AM
Mundy
Crikey

^ What the flying ****? LMAO

I went over to the main board and found a post that seems to sum up the reactions pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Tampa Fans: Delay of game on Philly!

Philly Fans: Delay of game on Tampa!

NHL Fans: That was hilarious!

TV Analysts: That was embarrassing!

Devil Fans: Exciting!

NBA Fans: Hockey is a joke!

Penn State Fans: Joe Paterno!

HFBoards:

Last edited by Mundy: 11-10-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Mundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Gaborik is sick right now, although Gonchar really ****ed up on that second one.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Bunk Moreland

Dregers twitter:

Quote:
The Kyle Turris saga is about to end. Turris is and the Coyotes expected to announce a 2 year agreement this week. Trade still prime option.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin De Haan Job View Post
Dregers twitter:
Wonder if we're about to see a sign and trade.

11-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Wonder if we're about to see a sign and trade.
Was thinking the same thing.. I think it was never really about the money with Turris I think he just wanted out of the desert so he made crazy demands.

Old
11-22-2011, 09:58 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Leafs just scored to go up 7-1 on Tampa Bay - I'll post the goal by Joey Crabb once it's up on NHL.com....just to show an amazing, simple play by Matt Frattin and how to drive to the net.

I know Snow and Capuano read this board and I'm hoping they can circulate this to the players.

I'm a proponent that you cannot teach instinct and talent but you can learn to play a certain way, you can learn to compete and drive to the net. The players who don't listen, don't belong - and good riddance.

Old
11-27-2011, 06:47 PM
MTK

Kaberle is a healthy scratch tonight for the canes....could be just a wake up call but there has been rumors of the canes trying to move him.

Would anyone want snow to trade for him?

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:29 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Kaberle is a healthy scratch tonight for the canes....could be just a wake up call but there has been rumors of the canes trying to move him.

Would anyone want snow to trade for him?
Problem is, our best trading piece in a situation like this was Comeau...

Old
11-28-2011, 07:11 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Problem is, our best trading piece in a situation like this was Comeau...
"We have plenty of Plans. Plan A, Plan B, Plan C....plenty."

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 07:43 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Leafs just scored to go up 7-1 on Tampa Bay - I'll post the goal by Joey Crabb once it's up on NHL.com....just to show an amazing, simple play by Matt Frattin and how to drive to the net.

I know Snow and Capuano read this board and I'm hoping they can circulate this to the players.

I'm a proponent that you cannot teach instinct and talent but you can learn to play a certain way, you can learn to compete and drive to the net. The players who don't listen, don't belong - and good riddance.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:16 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

Instinct is your mind knowing what to do without thinking after repetition and success. That play is no different than knowing where to travel on a fretboard. So....instinct can be taught, but self taught. Talent, that's the sum total of effort and ability. One man we can all say disproves the talent paradox? Robert Thor Nystrom.

And he also disproves the "can't teach speed."

I look foreward to Tavares further eroding the negatives from the Tavares/Duchene debate.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Bunk Moreland

The number two pick in th 2009 draft, Victor Hedman, has signed a five year extension with the Lightning per Bobby Mac's twitter:

Quote:
Tampa Bay expected to announce today a multi-year contract extension for defenceman Victor Hedman.
Quote:
Nothing official yet, but I'm hearing Hedman's extension will be around five years at around $4M per year, give or take $100K.

Old
11-30-2011, 03:38 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
thanks for posting that! I was hoping Capuano/Snow would see that and try and get Comeau to play like that. Instead, they waived him shortly after I posted that. Evidence they read this board

They obviously felt they couldn't change Comeau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Instinct is your mind knowing what to do without thinking after repetition and success. That play is no different than knowing where to travel on a fretboard. So....instinct can be taught, but self taught. Talent, that's the sum total of effort and ability. One man we can all say disproves the talent paradox? Robert Thor Nystrom.

And he also disproves the "can't teach speed."

I look foreward to Tavares further eroding the negatives from the Tavares/Duchene debate.
You can learn to skate faster.
You can get stronger.
You can learn to play tougher, meaner, to hit more.

You cannot learn hockey sense. Not when you're 25 anyway. Some players will be forever haunted by poor decisions (like Marc Andre Bergeron) - teams are better without him. Knowing when to cut bait, that's the job of a GM. Just like knowing when to nurture.

This organizations has a history of making poor decisions in this aspect: Bertuzzi, Chara etc. Under Snow, I haven't seen anyone improve with the exception of MacDonald, Tavares (kinda inevitable), Nielsen, maybe Martin.

Either we're drafting poorly. Or developing poorly.

Maybe Moulson/Grabner/Parenteau, who came from other places, see things differently.

But if the organization can't get their young players to be good hockey players, this rebuild will continually fail (ie. last forever)

Kris Versteeg used to say that Scott Gordan made him a better player, an NHL player, when he coached him in the AHL. I don't expect the same from this organization, I see no evidence to think otherwise.

My head tells me that we SHOULD have taught Comeau to be more effective on the ice. But my gut, my instincts tell me that he was not teachable, that we're better off without him. I'm not sure though and if it were my team, I'd ensure we invested the right people in the development of players, not just the drafting of players. People might be held accountable even.

But maybe I see it differently. I mean, it's not like we're getting killed out there.

Old
12-01-2011, 11:37 AM
crashthenet

A good read on Wellwood.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/1...kyle-wellwood/

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote