HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Botta: Ducks and Sabres Talking Trade

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-30-2011, 03:07 PM
  #76
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,094
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghills23 View Post
No way in hell I would trade Lydman for McNabb. That is awful for the Sabres.
Lydman was one of the best defensemen in the NHL last year. Brayden was one of the best in the WHL. There's the difference.

I wouldn't like losing McNabb, either. But remember Pegula's three-year mandate. He's not going to be as concerned with losing a young player if it helps the team in their window period. You also know how highly Regier and Pegula think of Lydman.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:08 PM
  #77
Mergus merganser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,298
vCash: 500
Why in the hell would they trade for a player they could have resigned without giving up assets?

That makes zero sense. If they wanted him, he would never have left the organization. It isn't like he got crazy money.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:08 PM
  #78
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,354
vCash: 500
There's almost too many targets on Anaheim to comprehend...

Ryan - In the Mega Deal
Lydman - In the "I realized my all puck moving blueline was a bad idea" Deal
Bookbank - In the Corkum deal
Parros - In the "We realize we are soft as hell"
Koivu - cool

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:09 PM
  #79
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,094
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
Why in the hell would they trade for a player they could have resigned without giving up assets?

That makes zero sense. If they wanted him, he would never have left the organization. It isn't like he got crazy money.
Are you familiar with the reason Lydman is not a Buffalo Sabre right now?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:10 PM
  #80
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Do those lists need to be submitted prior to the season? I would hope that's the rule, else a player could hear rumblings about where he may be headed and block trades to those cities if he doesn't want to be moved. Otherwise, this would be tantamount to "I'm thinking of an NHL city...you have eight guesses, go!"
I don't believe that the list has to be generated prior to a season or when the contract is signed, etc.

I've seen other players with modified NTCs that were rumored to be on the block or their agents say things like "They haven't asked me/us for a list, so..." before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
If all of this is for Sheldon Brookbank or George Parros, (a) good look to you and the fellow mods regulating this place, and (b) that trade will displace the Bob Corkum trade as everyone's favorite for which to rip Darcy.
Not if it's for Parros and he regulates Lucic later in the year.


WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:12 PM
  #81
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 10,732
vCash: 500
Ok.... Obviously I know Bobby Ryan is good...and has size... But... I don't watch Anaheim at all .... so... I only seen him play when they're playing the Sabres and i remember him playing Canada in the WJ's i think...

So... is he Physical? ... Does he use his size? and play with some sand paper? ....

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:13 PM
  #82
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,382
vCash: 500
IMO, I can see Weber/Gragnani leave before McNabb, manly because both are more proven at the NHL level.



but for all we know Darcy trades for Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:14 PM
  #83
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,094
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Ok.... Obviously I know Bobby Ryan is good...and has size... But... I don't watch Anaheim at all .... so... I only seen him play when they're playing the Sabres and i remember him playing Canada in the WJ's i think...

So... is he Physical? ... Does he use his size? and play with some sand paper? ....
Yes. And he's very skilled. I think was the best goal of the postseason last year.


Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:16 PM
  #84
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Ok.... Obviously I know Bobby Ryan is good...and has size... But... I don't watch Anaheim at all .... so... I only seen him play when they're playing the Sabres and i remember him playing Canada in the WJ's i think...

So... is he Physical? ... Does he use his size? and play with some sand paper? ....
Bobby Ryan is everything we wish Drew Stafford could be.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:19 PM
  #85
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,333
vCash: 500
I'm still going to be disappointed if it isn't a deal for Ryan, but if Loods is a Sabre again...I wouldn't complain

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:21 PM
  #86
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Ok.... Obviously I know Bobby Ryan is good...and has size... But... I don't watch Anaheim at all .... so... I only seen him play when they're playing the Sabres and i remember him playing Canada in the WJ's i think...

So... is he Physical? ... Does he use his size? and play with some sand paper? ....
http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hockey/player.cgi?4985

Quote:
ASSETS: Owns great size and strength, outstanding scoring prowess and a wealth of poise and determination with the puck. Is capable of setting up linemates or light the lamp himself. Has great one-on-one moves, can pass, shoot and hit.

FLAWS: Needs more work on his play without the puck. Still takes a few shifts off, which he must eliminate in order to become one of the best players in the NHL.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Elite offensive winger.
He's 4th (and 2nd to Getzlaf amongst forwards) on the Ducks with 37 hits this season.

And only Gaustad and Kaleta have more hits this season amongst the Sabres forwards.

Ryan also does it without taking a ton of penalties as he only has 5 minors so far this season. Although, that is low for him since he's had 61 & 81 PIMs the past two seasons.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:24 PM
  #87
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,864
vCash: 500
http://www.ocregister.com/sports/get..._Anaheim_Ducks

Quote:
The numbers aren't there and the impact he has made in games appears to decrease with every Ducks loss in a deep freeze that has lasted for six weeks.
Is the pressure of being the Ducks' captain getting to Ryan Getzlaf?

"With Getzy, he's trying to wear the weight of that captaincy," Coach Randy Carlyle said. "These are the times when it becomes very, very heavy."
Getzlaf hasn't made much of an impact at either end of the ice. And the big center has looked particularly ineffective in the most recent two losses.

Even though he got two assists Friday, Getzlaf was thoroughly outplayed by Chicago's Jonathan Toews as the Blackhawks captain scored twice and had a career-high five points in a 6-5 victory.
Getzlaf has reportedly by a big ole pile of suck so far this season and Jen Neale has said he's the reason that the Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry line has tanked.

I know he's their captain, but I wonder if he's a guy that could be pryed out of there.....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:24 PM
  #88
Mergus merganser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Are you familiar with the reason Lydman is not a Buffalo Sabre right now?
I know what he SAID was his reason for not signing with Buffalo. But neither of us know the real reason.

On top of that, the fact still remains, why give anything up for a player you already had and didn't lead you to the promise land?

Lydman is a solid defenseman, but there are plenty of fish in the sea. It would be pretty stupid to try and "rebuild" the past team. Unless it is a leo for Lydman type trade where salary is similar and we don't give up prospects.

Lydman does not make this a markedly better team.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:28 PM
  #89
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
In all fairness, the times have changed within the organization.

When, before this past summer, did we ever sign two free agents to big deals?
That wasn't my point. I explained what I meant already in the thread.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:28 PM
  #90
Ghills23
Registered User
 
Ghills23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 2,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Lydman was one of the best defensemen in the NHL last year. Brayden was one of the best in the WHL. There's the difference.

I wouldn't like losing McNabb, either. But remember Pegula's three-year mandate. He's not going to be as concerned with losing a young player if it helps the team in their window period. You also know how highly Regier and Pegula think of Lydman.
Yeah Lydman had a good year last year, I understand that.\

I understand the rest of the points too.

Even within Pegula's 3 year mandate trading a promising prospect who is a physical blue liner is not a smart business deal when we don't have many guys like him in the pipeline.

Now if they want to cut salary they can take Gragnani, he was playing last night and he won the AHL defenseman of the year award last year.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:31 PM
  #91
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,354
vCash: 500
I'm just going to start dreaming about Getzlaf...

I really think we have the assets to get it done....

Roy, Ennis, Gragnani = 5.425 + McNabb (or 1st rounder)
for
Getzlaf = 5.325

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:33 PM
  #92
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I'm just going to start dreaming about Getzlaf...

I really think we have the assets to get it done....

Roy, Ennis, Gragnani = 5.425 + McNabb (or 1st rounder)
for
Getzlaf = 5.325
Sign me up.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:34 PM
  #93
Ghills23
Registered User
 
Ghills23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 2,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I'm just going to start dreaming about Getzlaf...

I really think we have the assets to get it done....

Roy, Ennis, Gragnani = 5.425 + McNabb (or 1st rounder)
for
Getzlaf = 5.325
Oh how amazing it would be to see Getzlaf play for the Sabres.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:38 PM
  #94
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,094
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
I know what he SAID was his reason for not signing with Buffalo. But neither of us know the real reason.
No, we know the reason. Pegula said it: Golisano was unwilling to give Lydman a third year. Lydman wanted to return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
On top of that, the fact still remains, why give anything up for a player you already had and didn't lead you to the promise land?
Vanek hasn't led us to the promised land. Should we trade him? Miller? Everyone? More overvaluation of prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
Lydman is a solid defenseman, but there are plenty of fish in the sea. It would be pretty stupid to try and "rebuild" the past team. Unless it is a leo for Lydman type trade where salary is similar and we don't give up prospects.
You call it trying to rebuild the old team. I call it atoning for past mistakes and improving the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
Lydman does not make this a markedly better team.
Have you seen this team's defensive zone play? Let's just say I disagree with your position.

I like McNabb as a prospect. But you're acting as if this guy is a shoo-in to become Robyn Regehr with offense. Nothing is guaranteed, and he may never be anything more than a slower Mike Weber with more offense--remember how good Weber looked in his first recall?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:40 PM
  #95
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghills23 View Post
Oh how amazing it would be to see Getzlaf play for the Sabres.
He's the prototype power forward/center we've been clamoring for...forever.

If the Ducks are trading a stud kid like Ryan, for presumably a horde of assets. Then it makes sense for the Ducks to put Getzlaf and Perry on the block too... since they are UFA in less then 2 years.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:42 PM
  #96
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,094
vCash: 50
Ducks fans are saying the reason Ryan is available is because they could only afford two of the big three, and they chose to keep Getzlaf and Perry. Not sure why they'd now be looking at moving him.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:42 PM
  #97
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 10,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I'm just going to start dreaming about Getzlaf...

I really think we have the assets to get it done....

Roy, Ennis, Gragnani = 5.425 + McNabb (or 1st rounder)
for
Getzlaf = 5.325

I'd rather give up the 1st rounder then McNabb.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:43 PM
  #98
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering
 
S319R11S16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Are you familiar with the reason Lydman is not a Buffalo Sabre right now?
Apparently not.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:44 PM
  #99
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
He's the prototype power forward/center we've been clamoring for...forever.

If the Ducks are trading a stud kid like Ryan, for presumably a horde of assets. Then it makes sense for the Ducks to put Getzlaf and Perry on the block too... since they are UFA in less then 2 years.
No it doesn't. I hate to break up your fantasy of getting Getzlaf since I would love it as well. But they aren't trading either of those two.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 03:44 PM
  #100
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,094
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
I'd rather give up the 1st rounder then McNabb.
Really? In this draft?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.