Notices

Where's the offense???

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2003, 08:58 AM
Bruins2020

vCash: 500
Where's the offense???

Most posters in here keep talking about how much forward depth we now have, and how we can role out different lines to attack with.

However, look at the folling:

Shutout: 2 times
1 goal: 2 times
2 goals: 2 times

This is 6 times, out of 11 games (55%) where we are scoring 2 or less goals. We are currently averaging 2.36 goals per game, which puts us 17th in the league, behind such offensive juggernauts as Nashville, Atlanta, Buffalo, and Phoenix. Heck, Columbus is scoring at a very similar rate.

We are 6-2-2 based largely on what is happening in NET. If we would have gotten equal play in net to what we had last year, we could just as easily be 2-6-2.

I do have faith in our offense, but we need to find a way of attacking the trap a little better, and Sully needs this team amped each and every night.

Old
10-31-2003, 09:05 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan
Most posters in here keep talking about how much forward depth we now have, and how we can role out different lines to attack with.

This is 6 times, out of 11 games (55%) where we are scoring 2 or less goals. We are currently averaging 2.36 goals per game, which puts us 17th in the league, behind such offensive juggernauts as Nashville, Atlanta, Buffalo, and Phoenix. Heck, Columbus is scoring at a very similar rate.

We are 6-2-2 based largely on what is happening in NET. If we would have gotten equal play in net to what we had last year, we could just as easily be 2-6-2.

I do have faith in our offense, but we need to find a way of attacking the trap a little better, and Sully needs this team amped each and every night.
Murray is a big part of our offense and he hasn't started clicking.

Old
10-31-2003, 10:37 AM
supernova

On the other hand, 5 guys NOT named Murray or Thornton have scored 3 or more goals already. That has to be looked at as a positive.

Thornton & Murray will come around soon enough, and if the other guys keep up the pace things should be alright.

What I'd like to see happen; Thornton stops using the same moves all the time. The behind the net thing and the floating over the blueline waiting for everything to open up is all well & good, but. Joe Thornton in full stride driving to the net for a shot or bulling his way out front from behind the net has to be more productive than the way he's playing now.

Hard to complain about such a great player with such obvious talent, but if his moves drive me crazy watching at home, the coaches have to see the same thing , no?

Go out there and get yourself 45-50 goals Joe, drive the net, draw penalties, and shoot more. That in itself will make Murray that much more dangerous. If opposing Dmen are 95% sure Joe's going to pass, he's making their job too easy IMO. Mix things up a bit more and the whole team will benefit.

Old
10-31-2003, 11:58 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Those shutouts were largely a result of two factors: work ethic and the trap. When the Bruins turn it on, they can score goals. In my mind, the real questions about the offense revolve around how hard Thornton plays in a given game, and whether the Bruins have their answer at #2 center over the long term. I like what Zinovjev has brought, and I hope he will hold up. Otherwise, I think the B's are in good shape up front.

I know I've harped on it, but one thing that effects the offense is the transition and the defense. The B's are not too bad on the first pass, with Jillson, Boynton and McGillis providing varying levels of proficiency, but the Bruins don't have much in way of puck rushing capability. Overall, the ability to spring the break out and generate speed hitting the offensive bluline is important to scoring goals.

On the other hand, I've noticed Samsonov and Zinovjev have created some of that speed through the nuetral zone. With their criss-crossing style and level of creativity, they can generate chaos. Just the same, Axelsson and Rolston are pretty speedy themselves coming through center ice. With Bergeron on their line, they have good intelligence and awareness with the puck, which makes things happen in the offensive zone.

But still, the Bruins transition and backline speed is noticeably different from last season. Often times it's the forwards carrying it out, which can effect the flow through center ice and the B's ability to break the trap.

Old
10-31-2003, 04:43 PM
Ortdogg

i think one positive about this early season is that our pffence hasnt carried us to this point, our goaltending has. compared to last year when we had such a hot start, last year we were blinded by the fact we had a great record which our offence created. then the offence dried a bit and our weak goaltending was exposed.

this year our goaltending and team defense has carried us, we do have a very deep and talented forward unit so it will break out eventually and when it does the b's can tear up the league, obviously our gt is fro real and our d has been excellent. so when the forwards start scoring.....watch out

Old
10-31-2003, 04:46 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:

Welcome to today's NHL..... :mad:

Old
10-31-2003, 06:24 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
Welcome to today's NHL..... :mad:
VERY true...scoring is definitely down across the board.

Old
11-01-2003, 09:15 AM
Bruins2020

Any ideas on what the league should do regarding the scoring problem?

Not just the scoring, but more importantly the flow of a game. Hockey is a tremendous game to watch when there is a good flow out there, however it becomes hard to watch when so many teams are simply trapping.

The NHL should be EXTREMELY worried about this.

What do you think the NHL execs would rather have:

A) A league full of skill and games which reflect this
B) A league full of plumbers playing the position game

Seems like A would be the obvious choice, but from watching numerous hockey games, I would tend to think the league wants B.

What can they do? I have heard about possibly eliminating the blue line? Would this be the perfect counter to the trap?

Ideas?

Old
11-01-2003, 09:56 AM
Boston Bruno

Seek yee a definition

First, I think the NHL has to decide what it is going to cater too.

I for one love hockey because it just has more emotion to it than the other sports. Part of those emotions also means "anger".. People who go to hockey games just to watch crisp passes and 12-10 scores should watch ringette. The truth of hockey lies in the fans who watch it. How many of us here were not thankfull for PJ Stock and what he provided? He boosted morale and provided a bit of a spectacle. Is that so wrong that they need to "regulate" the sport so heavily?

How many times do you watch a game and say to you buddy
"Did you see that pass Kuba fed for the goal that Gaborik scored" vs
"Did you see that fight between Kleinendorst and Neely?"

Plumber hockey isnt so bad, providing they allow the plumbers to do what comes naturally.. Now im not sponsering going around with a stick to Ciccerelli people - But I sure as hell do not want to watch guys skate around with SKODA labels on their heads!

I guess im off tangent because this doesnt address goal scoring as so much, but part of the love and feel of the NHL that I have comes from an age of Jay Millers, Randy Carlyes and Barry Becks.. I have no love to watch a team full of Joikenen's and Nikki Hagmans skate up and down the ice un impeded because the NHL belives violence is a disfavor to the game. It isnt, its part of the game - Embrace it, clean it up and let it be.

The Goal scoring will just happen afterward.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:10 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Any ideas on what the league should do regarding the scoring problem?

Not just the scoring, but more importantly the flow of a game. Hockey is a tremendous game to watch when there is a good flow out there, however it becomes hard to watch when so many teams are simply trapping.

The NHL should be EXTREMELY worried about this.

What do you think the NHL execs would rather have:

A) A league full of skill and games which reflect this
B) A league full of plumbers playing the position game

Seems like A would be the obvious choice, but from watching numerous hockey games, I would tend to think the league wants B.

What can they do? I have heard about possibly eliminating the blue line? Would this be the perfect counter to the trap?

Ideas?
In international play, like the world championships, they've dropped the red line and it's largely defeated the neutral zone trap, leading to an increase in scoring.
See: http://live20.ihwc.net/english/artic...hwc?artId=1534

Old
11-02-2003, 06:04 AM
Bruins2020

""I for one love hockey because it just has more emotion to it than the other sports. Part of those emotions also means "anger".. People who go to hockey games just to watch crisp passes and 12-10 scores should watch ringette. The truth of hockey lies in the fans who watch it. How many of us here were not thankfull for PJ Stock and what he provided? He boosted morale and provided a bit of a spectacle. Is that so wrong that they need to "regulate" the sport so heavily?""

Nobody is advocating that the NHL rid itself of its intensity. I referred to the plumbers as the non-skilled guys out there who are professional athletes only because they know how to be at a certain spot on the ice, and not because they own any particular ability or skill.

I think the elimination of the red line may be all we need. Teams can continue to use the trap, clutch and grab everything in the building, and there would still be a more exciting brand of hockey being played.

For the book, I would rather shell out my cash to go see a Mario Lemieux play before I would to go see a Stu Grimson play. That's just me though.

I don't think anybody wants the NHL to be an up and down game with no physical play. Not sure why you thought I did, as I never mentioned that, or anything regarding fighting for that matter. As far as your point regarding emotion goes, Football is still far more emotional, and you don't see them fighting every 3 minutes, so I don't buy that.

I was just making a point that the NHL should think of doing something to change a game that has evolved into a trap/clutch and grab league, where skill isn't showing its face much.

Closed Thread