Ducks shopping Bobby Ryan

Old
11-30-2011, 09:53 AM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
The Rangers I could see, but the Canes? They are in a similar position to us, why would they want to gut their roster? Is there Ownership pressure that they HAVE to make the playoffs this year and are willing to sacrifice the future to do it?
Unless the Canes are looking at moving Pitkanen, I don't see who they'd offer.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 50
Quote:
The Rangers I could see, but the Canes? They are in a similar position to us, why would they want to gut their roster? Is there Ownership pressure that they HAVE to make the playoffs this year and are willing to sacrifice the future to do it?
The Canes could use a legitimate talent like Bobby Ryan in the worst of ways, especially to finally give Staal a top end elite talent to play with.

They went through a little bit of a transition a couple years ago, have some quality younger players that should make their mark soon, coupled with some pretty quality roster pieces right now, so they're in a position that they need to be competing but they certainly have holes on their roster.

Bobby Ryan would be a huge, huge addition to the Canes and one that would leave Eric Staal smiling ear-to-ear. It would be about time they got him an elite linemate.

If the Canes are going to make an offer, and they likely would, they do have some quality pieces.

My guess right now is Anaheim would possibly ask for Sutter + McBain + 1st Rd Pick. That would give Anaheim the young forward and young defenseman they're reportedly seeking plus a quality draft pick.

That may not be *the* deal, but I think it would be in the ballpark, give or take. From Carolina it would likely include a package made up of Sutter, McBain, Boychuk (top prospect - 2008 1st Rd Pick), Dalpe (top prospect), 1st Rd Pick, 2nd Rd Pick, etc. A collection of some form there would likely need to be put together. If Anaheim wanted an NHL roster piece, Jussi Jokinen is an option too.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-30-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:01 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 851
No need to gut this team to get Ryan. Sure he is a talented 30-35 goal guy, but he is in his mid 20's and currently underachieving. What you see now from him may be all you get. He has had the benefit of playing with a lot of talent so far in his career. We are in the process of developing our own young guns who may yet surpass him. Only guy I would give up for him would be Buff. I just don't see how his defensive style will translate to a championship run down the line when our core starts hitting their prime. If we are ever in a position to contend, my guess is we will have no choice but to play Buff at forward and use him like Chicago did, dispite his feelings about playing forward.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
The Canes could use a legitimate talent like Bobby Ryan in the worst of ways, especially to finally give Staal a top end elite talent to play with.

They went through a little bit of a transition a couple years ago, have some quality younger players that should make their mark soon, coupled with some pretty quality roster pieces right now, so they're in a position that they need to be competing but they certainly have holes on their roster.

Bobby Ryan would be a huge, huge addition to the Canes and one that would leave Eric Staal smiling ear-to-ear. It would be about time they got him an elite linemate.
I agree with you regarding putting Staal and Ryan together. Ryan would be a lucky guy if he went from Getzlaf to Staal.

I'm just wondering if Carolina sends the assets it would require to get Ryan, does it make them better, or does it deplete them too much? And what does it do to the future?

I'm just thinking that it looks like they are in the same position as us. We're both at the bottom of the standings. Does sending all those assets and getting Ryan get you in the playoffs? If not, what is the result of losing all those assets?

I liken the idea of sending a bunch of assets one way to get one player as kicking in the afterburners. You had better be sure that doing so takes you to the promise land. Because if it doesn't, you now don't have anything to show for it, AND your tank is empty.

You know the Canes best though, so I would defer to you in this regard.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
I agree with you regarding putting Staal and Ryan together. Ryan would be a lucky guy if he went from Getzlaf to Staal.

I'm just wondering if Carolina sends the assets it would require to get Ryan, does it make them better, or does it deplete them too much? And what does it do to the future?

I'm just thinking that it looks like they are in the same position as us. We're both at the bottom of the standings. Does sending all those assets and getting Ryan get you in the playoffs? If not, what is the result of losing all those assets?

I liken the idea of sending a bunch of assets one way to get one player as kicking in the afterburners. You had better be sure that doing so takes you to the promise land. Because if it doesn't, you now don't have anything to show for it, AND your tank is empty.

You know the Canes best though, so I would defer to you in this regard.

From someone who has followed them for the last decade or so, my opinion is a move as such for the assets I mentioned (in some form) certainly makes them better. It would be very hard to part with a young guy in Brandon Sutter, and my personal opinion is Jim Rutherford will not do that, but any of the other assets I could see being put together.

I think sending those assets does improve them, greatly, to be blunt. Carolina went through their short transition, and it's now time to be a playoff team and eventual contending team. Jim Rutherford as the GM has already said as much. He expected/expects this team to compete. But as of right now they have not began the season as expected and they're just kind if dwindling and looking stagnant.

So, if they have to give some assets for Ryan, I certainly think they will do so. They may not get him in the end, but I sure do think they will be trying and trying hard. Jim Rutherford has been fairly vocal in the last month about acquiring a forward who can produce, and he just said the other day when he introduced Muller as head coach that he would like to acquire a top 6 forward AND a top 9 forward. He means business here but trades right now are proving difficult to make.

Old
11-30-2011, 10:12 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Maybe the Hurricanes can trick them in to thinking Kaberle is worth more than Ryan

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Maybe the Hurricanes can trick them in to thinking Kaberle is worth more than Ryan
What a miracle that would be.

Word is Jim Rutherford has tried to deal Kaberle, but given his poor play and start to the season along with his contract, he is pretty well not movable at this point, most believe.

Old
11-30-2011, 10:33 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
That Kaberle signing in Carolina was terrible.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
That Kaberle signing in Carolina was terrible.
Yep, and it's likely going to haunt them for 2 more years after this one if they can't/don't do anything with it.

Look at it this way, Pierre LeBrun just wrote an article this a.m. on the Ryan saga and mentioned Carolina, but he also mentioned they may not be able to add his salary, which is sad when you consider they are near the bottom in total team salary.

Now just think, if they cannot or do not make a deal for Ryan because of salary, how big of a kick in the pants is it to miss out on Ryan at a 5.1 cap hit but have to live with Kaberle at 4.25? That would make me one pissed off fan.

In the end do I think money and contracts would be the reason Carolina does not land Ryan? No, because I think Jim Rutherford would do what it takes to land Ryan if there was a deal to be made and then deal with the money afterwards. Bobby Ryan is a player Carolina has lacked for years now, so if there is a deal to be made I think they do it.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-30-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old
11-30-2011, 12:44 PM
broinwhyteridge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Probably true. I dunno how Burke pulls off some of his trades.
Pictures involving animals probably.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:52 PM
broinwhyteridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
When did 35 become 40?
NDP government.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDz View Post
NDP government.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Denny 204

We wouldn't go for him cause Chevy isn't a spender.

Denny 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Hammer Slammer
Browns

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Apparently Ryan has said "I wouldn't be surprised" when asked if he would be traded. Hmm.

11-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Apparently Ryan has said "I wouldn't be surprised" when asked if he would be traded. Hmm.
Yeah I saw that too.

He's a huge talent but at the end of the day I really don't see us breaking up 2 integral pieces of our team in a top 6 forward and top 4 d-man to get him.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:08 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

Why is Anahiem wanting/needing to trade him
Decent cap hit for a few more years.
Doesnt make sense to me.

Old
11-30-2011, 08:10 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Why is Anahiem wanting/needing to trade him
Decent cap hit for a few more years.
Doesnt make sense to me.
Because they lack depth, and Ryan can get them that.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

That's it.

He's guaranteed to get 2 solid returns back in a forward and d-man from someone and that's what Anaheim needs.

Old
11-30-2011, 08:20 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Because they lack depth, and Ryan can get them that.
yeah I guess.

Old
11-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I'm still baffled as to how the Ducks can do such a 180 from last season. Selanne is still about a point per game and the rest of the guys are contributing as they usually do. Team defense looks to be a big issue for these guys as Perry, Getzlaf and Fowler are a combined -36 even with their point totals.

Plus they have Hiller who when healthy imo is one of the best tenders in the league. It's just really weird to see them underachieving like this.

Old
11-30-2011, 08:56 PM
blues10

Enstrom for Ryan - fantastic deal for the Jets

This is how a cup contender can be built in Winnipeg. One piece to the puzzle at a time and slowly the Jets will become a legitimate cup threat in 3-5 years.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:57 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post

This is how a cup contender can be built in Winnipeg. One piece to the puzzle at a time and slowly the Jets will become a legitimate cup threat in 3-5 years.
We would need to give more then enstrom imo

Old
11-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post

Ducks are asking for a top6 forward as well.

Old
11-30-2011, 09:43 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
I think this is my mindset as well. Sure I would love to get Bobby Ryan, but I don't want to cripple the team to do it.

Something like Little and Buff sounds appealing, but that's about the extent I would go. Even then, Buff has only had some decent defensive coaching for a quarter of a season now. If he can improve the way Bogosian has improved, he could be a great defenseman for us.

As for Enstrom, I would much rather get this guy resigned. I would be ok in dealing him if that wasn't going to happen though.

I think overall that having Little, Buff, and a resigned Enstrom, bringing in Scheifele to play C on the 3rd line next year (hopefully), and filling in some holes via free agency, would be a better plan than going all in on Ryan, and hoping that we can win the cup in the next 3 years before Ryan becomes a UFA.
interesting point Huffer

I would be fine with a deal that involves Buff and Little. Buff could maybe get there some day but it is far from a sure thing and honestly I think it is more probable he is dumped after this season for the best deal we can get but more for the sake of moving on so we can get rid of a piece of the puzzle that will stop us from being a sound team defensively. Currently i see getting rid of Buff's bad habits and big salary as a move i would contemplate now. I see it as addition by subtraction and think we would instantly be in a better spot to contend for a playoff spot this year. Maybe Buff grows and that is why we trade him now when he still has that possible upside going for him.

what we get in return is a piece we are sorely missing. the only guys the Jets currently have that have a sniff of living north of 35 goals are under 21 and we could use more of that now and for the next three years. we also could use Ryan on our PP right now since we don't have a dominant forward yet to anchor our PP.

We don't need to do this deal but if Buff is a piece of the pie then I would do the deal all day......i would hate to lose Little but we come out away ahead by shipping out Buff's bad habits and it opens up first unit PP time for Zack as a more selective trigger man than Buff with Toby as the QB when he is back. This would allow us to keep Zack's minutes north of 25 where he thrives even when Hainsey and Toby are back in the mix.

My guess is Chevy will have shopped this package to the ducks (or another package with Buff)

I would not be interested in doing a deal that involved Toby unless he is not interested in staying in Winnipeg (which would surprise me). If he was needed to pull it off then i agree with you Huff i would fill in the holes through free agency although Buff would be on a very short leash that doesn't stretch past this season.

Last edited by ps241: 11-30-2011 at 09:50 PM.
ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:59 PM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Ducks are asking for a top6 forward as well.
I think that if we offered them Enstrom they'd probably retool their demands. Likely something akin to Enstrom along with a top-end forward prospect. Maybe Enstrom + Klingberg would do the trick.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote