HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Matt Carkner

Old
11-30-2011, 01:39 PM
Alf Silfversson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTigre View Post
If my rough calculations are correct it's about 3.13 goals for with him in and 3.11 without him. Almost identical. But the team is 9-6 with him in.
Night and day.

Alf Silfversson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Holdurbreathe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
There has been a few games this yr where Ottawa has missed Carkner's toughness. I thought that last night watching the Winnipeg game that they were taking liberties including the Karlsson hit along the boards & pushing Greening into the net & boards. Unbelievable there was no call on that, if it was Crosby the guy would have been banned from the NHL.

IMO Kuba will be traded if Murray can find a trading partner but likely not until the trade deadline. Lee's days in Ottawa are also numbered & he could either be placed on waivers or traded or released at the end of the yr. Depending on how long Kuba is out Lee will likely replace him until Carkner is ready. Let's not expect too much from Carkner coming off knee surgery, he will need some time to get comfortable again, maybe a fight or two.
The Jets were just using an aggressive forecheck, Carkner's presence wouldn't have change anything, none of the checks were of the variety that sparks a fight.

In the case of Karlsson, that is just what happens when a guy 260 plus bumps into a guy that might be 180. It wasn't a dirty hit.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Bahn Ahden View Post
This is a good point. He could move into the 8th defenceman spot.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Tundraman
Survivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
I don't think he pushed Greening. In fact, I don't know how you could even stop Greening on that play. He was flying and he's a big, strong kid. Greening is the king of the weight room for the Senators. Nobody is stronger. Just because he isn't a goon, doesn't mean that he doesn't know how to stick up for himself.
Quote:
Best of all, I think Rundblad's presence has actually pushed Karlsson to be a better player. I think maybe Karlsson was somewhat challenged by Rundblad coming in so highly rated. A lot of people still think Rundblad may turn out to be a better player in a year or two. That competition is lighting a fire under Karlsson and he has elevated his game.

One angle didn't show the late push but a second one did. Greening was going in no matter what but he would have been under better control. That last second shove put him off balance which was a very dangerous thing to do.

Late edit:

That second point of yours about Karlsson is excellent. I never thought of that but players do have a lot of pride.

Last edited by Tundraman: 11-30-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:24 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
The Jets were just using an aggressive forecheck, Carkner's presence wouldn't have change anything, none of the checks were of the variety that sparks a fight.
Glass was abusing the Sens defensemen all game long, and it even lead to a goal. Carkner certainly would have changed that with his presence alone. Not to mention a repeat of the following:

How you could say he wouldn't have changed anything is beyond me, you can't really dislike the guy enough to be afraid to admit he has a use? Because it was clear as day last night.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:57 AM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Glass was abusing the Sens defensemen all game long, and it even lead to a goal. Carkner certainly would have changed that with his presence alone. Not to mention a repeat of the following:

How you could say he wouldn't have changed anything is beyond me, you can't really dislike the guy enough to be afraid to admit he has a use? Because it was clear as day last night.
Obviously he brings an element that nobody else currently does. But that doesn't mean overall he's among the six best D we have on the healthy roster (I'm not going to bother arguing that he isn't, just that being different doesn't necessarily imply that he's better).

Carkner may not get beat on that Glass play (although that came off Cowen, who is just as solid, but anyway), but he's going to get beat on other plays. Speed specifically.

I have nothing against Carkner. In fact I like him a lot, and admire the work he put in to get where he has. But at a certain point this team is going to have to shed some players when they get passed over by better ones. There are two ways to get better from a player personnel stand point (ignoring coaching, etc). Either your current players get better, or you bring in guys that replace them. I fear for Carkner that he's a guy that will be replaced as this team progresses. Fortunately, he has value as an end of the roster, 7th D type.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:13 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Bahn Ahden View Post
Obviously he brings an element that nobody else currently does. But that doesn't mean overall he's among the six best D we have on the healthy roster (I'm not going to bother arguing that he isn't, just that being different doesn't necessarily imply that he's better).
And I'm certainly not delusional enough to think he'll spend every game in the top-6, but I really can't see him as a permanent 7, there's just too many variables. Personally, I think the best case would be him and Rundblad taking turns in the 7 spot, not a game to game basis, but I expect both to see significant time.

That said, last night more than ever I found it apparent we seemed to get pushed around a bit, especially on the defensive end. Would have been a perfect game for Carkner I feel, possibly same with tomorrow against Dallas, not as familiar with them. With Washington on Saturday, goes without saying Rundblad would draw in.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 03:45 PM
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!

#BSens RT @mirtle: Senators sent Matt Carkner to the AHL on a conditioning assignment.

The Turret is online now   Reply With Quote