HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres & Gaustad start talking extension

Old
12-01-2011, 02:20 AM
sba

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone87 View Post
I'm not sure what people's issue with Paul is?

I would like it if Gaustad hit a little harder for his size, though he is far too slow to really crush people.

He doesn't fight a lot because he actually has a job to do on the ice. People might not realize this, but it's actually hard to win faceoffs if your hands are swollen from beating skulls.

His offensive numbers have been fairly consistent year to year.

He is one of (if not the best) penalty killers on the team.

Overall I have no real issue with the guy. With so many problem players on this team I can't believe so many people have an issue with Gaustad of all people.
Your post answers your own question:

I would like it if Gaustad hit a little harder
he is far too slow
He doesn't fight a lot
His offensive numbers have been fairly consistent (they're poor)

So aside from the mythical "intangibles" and "leadership" - which went out the window when he stood there after Miller got run. He's good at faceoffs and PKs well.

Sorry, we need more out of a 3rd line C than that. If he's coming back as a 4th line C he needs to make about a million less than he does now. Don't see that happening.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 04:29 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Your post answers your own question:

I would like it if Gaustad hit a little harder
he is far too slow
He doesn't fight a lot
His offensive numbers have been fairly consistent (they're poor)

So aside from the mythical "intangibles" and "leadership" - which went out the window when he stood there after Miller got run. He's good at faceoffs and PKs well.

Sorry, we need more out of a 3rd line C than that. If he's coming back as a 4th line C he needs to make about a million less than he does now. Don't see that happening.
Darcy might have shot himself in the foot by giving McCormick so much.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 05:40 AM
HiddenInLight

Pay him 1.5 - 1.8....maybe 4-5 years with a hefty signing bonus. Maybe include some other bonuses in the contract too like maybe a bonus if he hits 15 - 20 goals or 5 playoff points or a certain % of faceoff wins.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Clock

Yeah, I'm hoping it's a max of two million. I don't think it's that crazy to ask for given that Paul isn't even much of a tough guy anymore. He also has yet to score a goal in a playoff game - not that that is some vital stat, but it's something I've become sensitive to after our first round exits.

I have a nasty feeling it's going to be a 3 million deal, though.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 06:51 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Darcy might have shot himself in the foot by giving McCormick so much.
People didn't say much about it at the time,but that was a dumb contract. If Goose is willing to com back for 1.5-1.75, fine, but there is no way I'm giving him a raise.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 07:15 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Let him go, give this team a kick in the pants. Maybe the rest of the team will man up knowing they don't have Big bad Gaustad to protect them.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 07:46 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
People didn't say much about it at the time,but that was a dumb contract. If Goose is willing to com back for 1.5-1.75, fine, but there is no way I'm giving him a raise.
I wasn't posting on here too much then but I remember saying wtf to about 20 people in texts.

DUMB DUMB move.

Old
12-01-2011, 07:48 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Yeah, I'm hoping it's a max of two million. I don't think it's that crazy to ask for given that Paul isn't even much of a tough guy anymore. He also has yet to score a goal in a playoff game - not that that is some vital stat, but it's something I've become sensitive to after our first round exits.

And that would be asinine.

Old
12-01-2011, 08:07 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Blue and Gold make Green!

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post

I think Paul is going to get term over dollars, front loaded as that's the new style...

I could see a 5 year / 11 mil / 2.2 cap

3.0/2.5/2.5/1.5/1.5

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I don't think Cody's contract is dumb, in context with other 4th line enforcers. He's got more game then a straight enforcer. Sure he's not a heavyweight, but he's done the job well, and been more of a hockey player.

Old
12-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I think Paul is going to get term over dollars, front loaded as that's the new style...

I could see a 5 year / 11 mil / 2.2 cap

3.0/2.5/2.5/1.5/1.5
No No No... The only reason I would even remotely consider that is because we have literally no centers. Yes he's good on the PK and good at faceoffs, but the guy can't score to save his life. 8 points in 38 playoff games, c'mon now. Just let the guy go. At the most give him a 1 year deal so we can find a new center.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:25 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I don't think Cody's contract is dumb, in context with other 4th line enforcers. He's got more game then a straight enforcer. Sure he's not a heavyweight, but he's done the job well, and been more of a hockey player.
I find it odd to call a contract where a guy is maybe 200K overpaid dumb in the first place. We're now a spend-to-the-cap team, you're allowed to overpay marginally to keep quality guys. You don't overpay McCormick by 800K, or a guy like Gomez by 3M more...but a little bit here and there? That's what cap teams do--not every player on the roster is going to be an amazing steal. It's OK if Pominville gets 500K more than what one hopes for because you keep a quality player (and of course this year he has been worth the money). Same with guys like Hecht, or Boyes, etc. Obviously you try not to overpay (and get deals like Ehrhoff/Roy when you can), but it's not that big a deal when your budget is what Pegula's budget is.

I also see no way Gaustad gets less than 2M. But again, if he gets the same contract as his last one, are people really going to get upset over an extra 300K? Consider with the cap going up, that his percentage of it will decrease--and that might be true even if his cap hit rises in the next contract.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:27 AM
gallagt01

The $300,000 that McCormick may be overpaid by is not going to hinder this teams ability to sign/extend other players. That's nitpicking. There are other players on the team with an undeserving contract that are constraining us to the cap ceiling.

300K to McCormick? Come on.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:35 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

To me Gaustad is a lot like Hecht. People piss and moan about him and his contract, but the second he's out of the lineup because of injury, those same people want him back ASAP.

Given the current financial climate of the league, $2.5m-ish is the going rate for a Gaustad type player.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

I still think it was a "hey, Ryan, we took care of your buddy, don't leave us" thing. They need more from him for what they're getting. 10-12 goals and 20-30 points isn't worth $3 million these days is it? Capgeek, y'all are telling me UFA's are getting that much. Why, capgeek, why?!?

12-01-2011, 08:44 AM
sk8haggard9

Hate to say it, but I really think Gaustad is going to get somewhere around 3mil, maybe even slightly upwards of that.

I think his true value to somewhere around 1.7-2.2, but he has alot of leverage here, as he is one of the only true centers on the rosters, and even though he may not be as physical as he has been in years prior, his toughness and size are still some things that this team needs more of.

sk8haggard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:45 AM
HiddenInLight

Honestly the only player on the roster who has a bad contract IMO is Leino. We payed WAY too much considering what he's been doing. If he can pick up his game and becomes worth them money Id galdly eat crow.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:49 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
The $300,000 that McCormick may be overpaid by is not going to hinder this teams ability to sign/extend other players. That's nitpicking. There are other players on the team with an undeserving contract that are constraining us to the cap ceiling.

300K to McCormick? Come on.
No but it sets the standard that guys who are performing better than McCormick are going to want more than him... its a snowball effect. I really don't see why they had to have that high of an AAV with him. Thats where my gripe comes in.

Overpay an entire team 300k each for no reason and you're missing out on a top line player. I know there are other players who are overpaid but I just didn't see the reasoning in shelling out that much to him on a 1 way deal.

Old
12-01-2011, 09:06 AM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
With any luck Gaustad will sign elsewhere.He is a 4th liner with no offensive game.Deserves no more then 1.75 a year, I would offer him a 2/3.5 deal and no more.

But he is one of Ruff's pets and I could see Regier keep around the Rochester crew even longer

And for all the hate Connolly got for his lack of playoff scoring, Gaustad has never scored a postseason goal...now THAT is the pathetic streak.
Stop acting like Goose is one of the guys of that Rochester core that are the real problem. If anyone from the Rochester core need to go it's Roy or Stafford.

You bring this up all the time against Goose as if he's Roy or Vanek. Scoring goals isn't his primary job. Yeah it would be nice, and it's an ugly stat that he hasn't ever socred a playoff goal I'm not denying that. But let's not act as if it's on the same level as Connolly's pathethic play in the postseason. It's not even close. Like honestly if we lose in the first round of the playoffs because one of our top six centers **** the bed your going to blame our 4th line center for not scoring? Give me a break.

I've always like Goose, but I don't want to see him get a raise, and would prefer he get a paycut. Although I know people on here will freak out if he gets even a 200-300k raise when the team's real problem is that they have $8.5 mil tied up in Stafford and Leino.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 09:43 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I wouldn't mind seeing him as a lifer. Just don't overpay for it…

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 09:59 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Pay him 1.5 - 1.8....maybe 4-5 years with a hefty signing bonus. Maybe include some other bonuses in the contract too like maybe a bonus if he hits 15 - 20 goals or 5 playoff points or a certain % of faceoff wins.
I'm pretty sure that's not allowed under the post-lockout CBA except maybe for players over 35

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
No No No... The only reason I would even remotely consider that is because we have literally no centers. Yes he's good on the PK and good at faceoffs, but the guy can't score to save his life. 8 points in 38 playoff games, c'mon now. Just let the guy go. At the most give him a 1 year deal so we can find a new center.
I'll take a big, strong, physical, faceoff winning, pk'er... at that cost. Goose isn't paid to score.

His lack of playoff production is bothersome... not enough to walk away him though

Old
12-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Clock

Two million for three or four years I could deal with. Assuming the cap continues to increase, the percentage of Goose's impact against it will have less and less of an impact.

Just pay him like a fourth liner with perks.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
I'd imagine Manny Malhotra is the comparable that they'll be looking at. He has a 3yr/$7.5m deal ($2.5m cap hit).

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote