HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal out with a concussion (1/2: Cleared to Play)

Old
11-30-2011, 11:11 PM
NY Ranger86

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
as opposed to doing nothing and not being cleared to skate?
obviously.....

to just be "skating lightly" now is not much progress. That's like you "walking slowly". Call me crazy, again... just my 2 cents.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:20 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
obviously.....

to just be "skating lightly" now is not much progress. That's like you "walking slowly". Call me crazy, again... just my 2 cents.
From being shut down to light skating is huge.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 09:23 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
obviously.....

I'll have to call you crazy then. For someone in his position, that's huge progress.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 09:46 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
I'll have to call you crazy then. For someone in his position, that's huge progress.
It's progress because prior to that, he wasn't skating, so it's one step closer to coming back. But it still doesn't tell us whether he's fully healed or not. Based on what has been reported, the things he is doing now (riding the bike, light skating) aren't things that would have caused him to have headaches. Until he starts working out hard, we won't know whether the headaches are behind him or not. He could end up right back at square one.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Levitate

There's no way that "skating lightly" is bad news because they were never going to throw him right back into hard conditioning skates, even if he is 100% healed and will never have a problem again.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:30 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Gotta think early February is still the time table. Anything before that would be fantastic.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:52 AM
pjdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Yeah, why get a local kid who happens to be 24 years old and a first line left winger? Wouldn't it be more prudent to make an offer and see if the Ducks will accept what we are comfortable giving? Not sure why you would dismiss this out of hand. He's a stud and we need that kind of upgrade in our top 6. The question is what will it cost and then and only then is it worth it.
Drury was a local boy too, look how that turned out, just saying. I know he was old and whatever. Not saying this is out of hand at all, and I would be for Ryan, depending on what we would give up. That is the big ? here. On the other hand, 5.1 million is abit pricey, and we as Rangers fans have been waiting for the organization to build from within, and FINALLY after all those years of spending on big name players, we are a team mostly built from within, and were winning, and are playing a solid system as a whole. I would just hate to see a trade right now. But im not a GM. lol. Lets Go Rangers!!!!!!

pjdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:01 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
NYP_Brooksie Larry Brooks
Mike Rupp on ice first time since knee surgery

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

What a great sight to see.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
What a great sight to see.

tis true!, I imagine he will talk to the media after

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:28 PM
CH2

Winter Classic

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
Winter Classic
I wish, according to quotes I just read he still has some bad days, needs to get condistioning back it's a "long ways away" still

but targeting some time this yr. I imagine the Rangers go with what they go till the deadline then see if he is back yet or coming back for sure

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Andrew Gross
Marc Staal says based on his rate of improvement he hopes to play this season. Too soon for a timetable.

NYP_Brooksie Larry Brooks
Staal: "Return long way away but plan is to come back this year."

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:32 PM
turcotte8

JimCerny Jim Cerny

Staal admits maybe he "sugar coated things" with how he really felt last year "but it was my decision to play"

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Still saying March.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
JimCerny Jim Cerny

Staal admits maybe he "sugar coated things" with how he really felt last year "but it was my decision to play"
I figured that was the case. No way would Rammer let him play if he knew how he was feeling.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Looks like things were worse than anyone realized--here's what Staal had to say:

Quote:
That’s a long ways away,” Staal said. “I just started getting back into light stuff and my strength over that month has basically gone. I haven’t really been in a gym at all. I need to get my strength back and all that stuff along with feeling good as far as my head goes too so I have no idea. I think the rate of improvement the last month or so, I feel I’ll be back and that’s the plan. It’s just make sure I’m healthy and get back and start playing.”
And

Quote:
On how long has he been symptom-free: “It’s been a couple of weeks. I’ve had a lot of good days, I’ll still have a bad day mixed in there once in a while. You just adapt and adjust. I feel when I’ve had a not-so-good day, the improvement the next day has been basically back to normal again and then we just kind of monitor it and go from there.”
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...p_also_skates/

It's good that the organization was (finally) cautious enough to send him to Dr Cantu, because from what was said here Staal was not symptom free until he stopped all physical activity. If there are no other setbacks, it sounds like a reasonable timeline is after the All-Star break. But, as I said before, I have no expectations until Staal has really started to work his way back into game shape and is actively participating (without contact) in practice without any headaches.

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 12-01-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
I figured that was the case. No way would Rammer let him play if he knew how he was feeling.
Or people in the organization were not asking the right questions....

Old
12-01-2011, 02:35 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Or people in the organization were not asking the right questions....
Given the NHL's protocol, I doubt that's the case. If he passed all his tests and didn't tell anyone about the headaches, how are they gonna know?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:51 PM
gluvhand

"Rammer". LOL Now we call the trainer by his lame hockey nickname.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:57 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Looks like things were worse than anyone realized--here's what Staal had to say:

And

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...p_also_skates/

It's good that the organization was (finally) cautious enough to send him to Dr Cantu, because from what was said here Staal was not symptom free until he stopped all physical activity. If there are no other setbacks, it sounds like a reasonable timeline is after the All-Star break. But, as I said before, I have no expectations until Staal has really started to work his way back into game shape and is actively participating (without contact) in practice without any headaches.
That's exactly why I've been saying February at the earliest. No idea why people thought Staal could get in game shape in a week and step in.

Old
12-01-2011, 03:00 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
That's exactly why I've been saying February at the earliest. No idea why people thought Staal could get in game shape in a week and step in.
Some people here think a lot of things.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 03:01 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Some people here think a lot of things.
Just shows you who's played organized sports and who hasn't, really.

Old
12-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Given the NHL's protocol, I doubt that's the case. If he passed all his tests and didn't tell anyone about the headaches, how are they gonna know?
From what I've seen about the "tests" used, it would be pretty easy to miss symptoms--especially if you have a player who doesn't really understand how subtle concussion symptoms can be. Plus, you have a sport that has played down this type of injury for years. The Ranger organization knew that Staal was having problems over the summer, yet they let him come to trainning camp and participate in physical activity. They let him go to Hartford and skate there: according to Andrew Gross (on Sept 30th):

[QUOTE][In all, Staal was on the ice for about 100 minutes, his first time on the ice since practicing with the Rangers on Sunday/QUOTE]

And a few days before that happened Sather was still in denial about what was wrong with his defenseman:

Quote:
While Rangers general manager Glen Sather says the Rangers are always on the lookout for help on defense, he is not overly concerned by Marc Staal’s continuing headaches. And, today at Citizen’s Bank Pallpark in Philadelphia, where the NHL formally (and finally) announced the Rangers would face the Flyers in the outdoor Winter Classic on Jan. 2, Sather said the team was actually not sure what was causing Staal’s headaches.

Sather said ongoing tests are being conducted and the team is confident in having an answer soon. But Sather said while a concussion has not been ruled out, there are other things that could cause headaches such as Staal is experiencing. For instance, Sather mentioned, migraines or maybe a slipped disc.
As far as I'm concerned, the organization waited too long--not in the spring necessarily-- but definitely from training camp before they took Staal's headaches seriously. Hopefully, they (and the rest of the league) will learn from the experience.

Note: the Sather quotes are from Ranger Rants Sept 26th.

Old
12-01-2011, 03:29 PM
OverTheCap

I agree, Brooklyn Ranger. The Rangers have been less than forthcoming about Staal's concussion and how they are treating it, but from what I've read, it does seem like they could have taken it more seriously.

Just because someone passes a baseline test, it doesn't mean that they are symptom-free or in the clear. Staal passed a baseline test during training camp, yet he was still experiencing headaches. Makes me wonder if they should even be relying on these tests at all.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote