HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My late Oiler report card

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2003, 10:42 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
My late Oiler report card

Went out after the game, so its a little late this evening.

Bergeron - As usual very good offensively, but struggled big time in his own zone. I counted 3 bad turnovers. That to me is the only reason he may be taken out of the lineup from time to time. He is too good offensively though to stay out long.

Brewer - Looked more confident tonight, he is slowly coming out of his early season funk.

Chimera - Brutal penalty, not much else too say. Blech!

Cross - OK he didn't play but I saw him at Boston Pizza this evening and he says he will be playing next game.

Dvorak - Excellent, anyone still want to question the trade that brought him here? Snake bitten when it comes to putting the puck in the net but creating every time he is on the ice and he is also solid defensively! If he continues to play like this no one will be questioning Lowe's trade.

Ferguson - Had a couple of nasty turnovers tonight.

Hemsky - Beautiful powerplay goal that turned everything around for the Oil tonight. There are not too many players in the NHL that can make a play like that. Imagine this kid in a couple of years. Wow!

Horcoff - Maybe his play on the first line had more to do with his defensive help. That line struggled without him defensively and then Mact put him back on that line for a few shifts.

Isbister - Not really that noticeable tonight.

Laraque - Had a few good shifts in the first period but I don't think he saw the ice much when the Oilers were trying to play catch up.

Moreau - Played well and scored the game tying goal.

Pisani - Actually one of his better games, he made a few good plays.

Reasoner - What a pass to Bergeron in OT! Always solid defensively.

Salo - The only goal I thought he had a chance on was the Datsyuk goal, I thought he went down too soon.

Semenov - Beautiful pass right on Hull's stick . Not bad the rest of the game.

Smith - Solid behind the blueline tonight and absolutely hammered a Red Wing late (my mind just went blank on who it was, but it is 1:35 in the morning)

Smyth - Nice play on the faceoff, otherwise IMO a sub-standard game. He created a few things but struggled giving the puck away on a few offensive forays and like the rest of his line struggled defensively.

Staios - Had a couple of giveaways that he usually doesn't make but also made some good defensive plays. Best all around dman for the Oilers so far.

Torres - Good choice by MacT too put him on the York and Dvorak line. Shows some grit and helped cause a few turnovers by Detroit which the skill of this line took advantage of.

York - Best game this season, he was simply flying. This was the same game he was playing before his hand injury last year.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:47 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Solid card. It was Zetterburg who Smith hammered, making it even more sweet. Definately agree on the Smyth, Hemsky, and Reasoner points.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:52 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Solid card. It was Zetterburg who Smith hammered, making it even more sweet. Definately agree on the Smyth, Hemsky, and Reasoner points.
Thanks.

I knew someone would refresh my short memory!

Old
11-01-2003, 11:00 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

The only thing I still waiting for from York is his slapshot. Once he starts wiring it, then I'll feel he's finally over the injury. He's doing everything else, and has quietly become one of the top scorers:

10-3-5-8 +6 aren't bad numbers at all, definitely a better start than what he had last year.

Hemsky is going to be great (heck, he already IS great...leading the team in scoring as a 20 year old sophmore), I just hope we can afford him once contract #2 comes along.

I didn't like Horcoff tonight. To me he's had a poor start to the season, and all the good vibes I felt from him after his spirited playoffs and World Championships run from last year is starting to wear off and fast. I was expecting a physically stronger player, so far I haven't seen it.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:06 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
The only thing I still waiting for from York is his slapshot. Once he starts wiring it, then I'll feel he's finally over the injury. He's doing everything else, and has quietly become one of the top scorers:

10-3-5-8 +6 aren't bad numbers at all, definitely a better start than what he had last year.

Hemsky is going to be great (heck, he already IS great...leading the team in scoring as a 20 year old sophmore), I just hope we can afford him once contract #2 comes along.

I didn't like Horcoff tonight. To me he's had a poor start to the season, and all the good vibes I felt from him after his spirited playoffs and World Championships run from last year is starting to wear off and fast. I was expecting a physically stronger player, so far I haven't seen it.
Horcoff has not been one of my favourites either but I noticed the defensive play of that line improves when he is on it. I don't think I have said anything positive in my report cards for him yet but that was the one nice thing I noticed.

As for Hemsky it is just a matter of time before he hits superstar status. My bet is two years. Anyone else?

Good point about York shooting. He hasn't been shooting the puck that much and he did struggle getting the puck out of the zone the other night so maybe his hand is not quite 100%.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:17 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Good point about York shooting. He hasn't been shooting the puck that much and he did struggle getting the puck out of the zone the other night so maybe his hand is not quite 100%.
Actually, he has been shooting it a lot (tied for the team lead with Moreau and Smyth), but they're almost all wristers. It could be fully healed, but he may not fully trust it yet.

I know after I had ACL surgery, it took me over a full year before I would trust my knee to not randomly buckle without warning. Even now, over 7 years later, I still sometimes catch myself subconciously favouring it for no good reason.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:12 AM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Actually, he has been shooting it a lot (tied for the team lead with Moreau and Smyth), but they're almost all wristers. It could be fully healed, but he may not fully trust it yet.

I know after I had ACL surgery, it took me over a full year before I would trust my knee to not randomly buckle without warning. Even now, over 7 years later, I still sometimes catch myself subconciously favouring it for no good reason.
Had knee surgery myself cos a FAT lineman thought it would be funny to tackle me from behind...I know where you're coming from, no matter how much strengthening you do for the muscles around the ACL and the MCL, they are ligaments and without actually snipping them off and adhereing them together (which isn't recommended unless your're a pro athlete) it'll always have a give...very tough to recover, that's why its nice to see Dvorak work hard and skate so smoothly out there.

GXL

Old
11-02-2003, 06:00 AM
dcmeatloaf

Actually, I think the fact that York is taking wrist shots shows that his wrist is pretty healthy. I know after the injury last year he said that wrist shots caused him the most problems, that's why he was taking slap shots at every opportunity. It makes sense, if you think about the mechanics of the shot....

Still, I thought it was his best game of the year. I thought the Columbus game was the first one where the Yorkie wheels of old were back, so I was very happy to see it continue against Detroit. It looked to me like in the previous games he was tentative -- not pursuing the puck as hard on the forecheck especially. But I think that may have been related to not feeling as comfortable with his responsibilities at center. Maybe MacT loosened him up a bit or he's just feeling more comfortable in his new role...who knows? He's flying, that's for sure. That line was generating chances all night.

Old
11-02-2003, 07:04 AM
vb

Quote:
Ferguson - Had a couple of nasty turnovers tonight.
He moves slow, makes decisions even slower and has poor hockey sense...he must be a hell of a team guy cause I can't think of any reason to keep playing him every night.

Quote:
Reasoner - What a pass to Bergeron in OT! Always solid defensively.
That was a Doug Weight-type pass!

Old
11-02-2003, 07:42 AM
barto

And what's up with Chimera? His most noticeable play on the night was a truly brutal penalty, jumping on the Wings' back instead of using his superior wheels to take the man out. Just awful... Pisani at least showed some flashes of his form from last season, but Chimera (and Horcoff) haven't really done anything to impress. What gives with these guys? Chimera doesn't look as hungry as he did most of last year...

Bart

Old
11-02-2003, 08:05 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:

Y'know, at this time last season, I would have been happy if I never saw York do a slap-shot again. It was driving me nuts. As soon as he got the puck in scoring position, THUNK! Off the end-boards! CLANK! Off the glass! THUD! Off the hot-dog guy! I think it was a sign of a guy trying too hard. Off to a much better start this season, and with the chemistry developing between him and Dvorak, we might have that long-elusive 2nd line (or are Smyth-Hemsky the 2nd line? shrug). Anyway, I think York is feeling it this season.

Closed Thread