HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Interest in Carlyle or Mike Foligno?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-01-2011, 09:40 AM
  #1
NoClue4u
Registered User
 
NoClue4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Interest in Carlyle or Mike Foligno?

Both coaches have been fired from Anaheim. I don't know much about either as coaches, but am curious as to what others on the board think. So what are your opinions on them and should Pegula and Black try to bring them into the organization?

NoClue4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 09:44 AM
  #2
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 26,869
vCash: 500
Where ? Why ?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 09:45 AM
  #3
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,266
vCash: 500
Awards:
Short answer - Carlyle yes. Foligno no.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 09:47 AM
  #4
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,039
vCash: 50
I'd like Carlyle to be Lindy's top assistant, if Ruff stays. But I don't think anything happens mid-season.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 09:51 AM
  #5
punkr0x
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
I like Carlyle, I think he would be good for this team. But "Lindy Ruff ain't going nowhere."

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 09:54 AM
  #6
HiddenInLight
Registered User
 
HiddenInLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,012
vCash: 500
Hooray! Another fire lindy thread!

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 09:56 AM
  #7
Mellifleur
Registered User
 
Mellifleur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Buffalo, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClue4u View Post
Both coaches have been fired from Anaheim. I don't know much about either as coaches, but am curious as to what others on the board think. So what are your opinions on them and should Pegula and Black try to bring them into the organization?
In what capacity ?

I don't see Ruff being moved at this point in time, judging by the Ted Black interview this morning on WGR. He acknowledged they could be better but felt they were still doing well. He did give that answer, we have the 2nd highest win total in the league line answer and stated they were not panicking so I don't see any coaching/upper management type moves being made at this point in time.

Mellifleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:00 AM
  #8
littletonhockeycoach
Registered User
 
littletonhockeycoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Littleton, Co
Country: United States
Posts: 2,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Short answer - Carlyle yes. Foligno no.
Tell me more about your sentiments vis a vis Foligno.........

I admit upfront that I'm baised as Foligno was one of my hero's as a player. Got the chance to meet him when he was an Asst for the Avs. Maybe it was the talent on the team but everyone felt he was a quality asst. here. Believe he did a respectable job with Hersey when he did a tour there.

Also had the opportunity to interact with son Nick during youth tryouts and stuff when he was a peewee. Saw a lot of the old man in the kid. Really liked his intensity and skill level. Marcus was behind Nick but believe he's the better player.

I would agree that having a Dad around mgmt/coachng wise with a kid on the team is not a good idea however. Lacroix tried that with his kid and it was bad for the dressing room.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:01 AM
  #9
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOni View Post
In what capacity ?

I don't see Ruff being moved at this point in time, judging by the Ted Black interview this morning on WGR. He acknowledged they could be better but felt they were still doing well. He did give that answer, we have the 2nd highest win total in the league line answer and stated they were not panicking so I don't see any coaching/upper management type moves being made at this point in time.
Could Carlyle help as a PP consultant?

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:14 AM
  #10
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,266
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Tell me more about your sentiments vis a vis Foligno.........

I admit upfront that I'm baised as Foligno was one of my hero's as a player. Got the chance to meet him when he was an Asst for the Avs. Maybe it was the talent on the team but everyone felt he was a quality asst. here. Believe he did a respectable job with Hersey when he did a tour there.

Also had the opportunity to interact with son Nick during youth tryouts and stuff when he was a peewee. Saw a lot of the old man in the kid. Really liked his intensity and skill level. Marcus was behind Nick but believe he's the better player.

I would agree that having a Dad around mgmt/coachng wise with a kid on the team is not a good idea however. Lacroix tried that with his kid and it was bad for the dressing room.
I quietly am hoping for less Sabre-oriented moves in the front office and behind the bench. I loved Mike as a player, liked some of what he's done off the ice as a head coach in Hershey and some of what he's done in Sudbury. It's not about him being a poor assistant or not liking the guy but that in the current struture of the team, he would be yet another former Sabre and friend of Lindy's behind the bench. If Lindy was gone, hey, I'd be open to just about anyone the new head coach looks for as an assistant. But with Ruff as the coach, I'd rather they look for some fresher blood.

Then there is the whole thing with Marcus which as you mentioned can get sticky.

Carlyle on the other hand, has HC experience and the covetted Cup ring. He's 7-4 in playoff series over his career, getting into the second round three times in five visits. He'd be a new voice in the 'room and his Duck teams have tended to play a heavy style that I happen to enjoy.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:24 AM
  #11
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted
 
HarryNealesGarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: BOS
Country: United States
Posts: 4,244
vCash: 500
Carlyle would be awesome as an assistant, but in order to bring him on somebody would have to go (unless we're going to pay 4 assistants... which I guess isn't all that unreasonable).

He'd be awesome behind the bench but the guy is too good to be an assistant. Somebody will hire him as a HC.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:27 AM
  #12
littletonhockeycoach
Registered User
 
littletonhockeycoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Littleton, Co
Country: United States
Posts: 2,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I quietly am hoping for less Sabre-oriented moves in the front office and behind the bench. I loved Mike as a player, liked some of what he's done off the ice as a head coach in Hershey and some of what he's done in Sudbury. It's not about him being a poor assistant or not liking the guy but that in the current struture of the team, he would be yet another former Sabre and friend of Lindy's behind the bench. If Lindy was gone, hey, I'd be open to just about anyone the new head coach looks for as an assistant. But with Ruff as the coach, I'd rather they look for some fresher blood.

Then there is the whole thing with Marcus which as you mentioned can get sticky.

Carlyle on the other hand, has HC experience and the covetted Cup ring. He's 7-4 in playoff series over his career, getting into the second round three times in five visits. He'd be a new voice in the 'room and his Duck teams have tended to play a heavy style that I happen to enjoy.
Good logic. FoR (Friend of Ruff) would be a problem.

Agree about Carlyle's style and think that could fit pretty well with the kids we're seeing up here from Rochester. What a turn around Sabres squad that would be! Thanks.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:46 PM
  #13
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
I think Darren Dregehr raised a strong possibility on NHL Live the other day when he speculated that Carlyle could end up replacing Claude Noel in Winnipeg at some point this season - not only did Noel seem an inexperienced replacement for Ramsay but Carlyle's resume as a Cup-winning coach, former AHL coaching time in Winnipeg with the Moose and a playing career with the original Jets' franchise all make him a logical choice there.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:49 PM
  #14
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Agree about Carlyle's style and think that could fit pretty well with the kids we're seeing up here from Rochester. What a turn around Sabres squad that would be! Thanks.
According to the local coverage since the Carlyle/Boudreau changes, many of the Ducks stars were unhappy with Carlyle's system that emphasized cycles within the zone and generating offense that way; Boudreau has apparently said he intends to shift the Ducks' system to one that generates scoring off the rush.

Based on that, I don't know that Carlyle's style would be a good thing - it sounds like a complete switch from what Ruff and Rolston have been teaching and implementing with the current organization.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:49 PM
  #15
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
I can't imagine Randy Carlyle will be unemployed for very long.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:58 PM
  #16
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I can't imagine Randy Carlyle will be unemployed for very long.
I can't either - Carlyle's said that he wants to take "some time" to step back but he'll probably be on the radar in Columbus, Montreal, Long Island and Colorado, all of whom have struggled and had reports of coaching changes being possible.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:41 PM
  #17
5 Minute Major
Registered User
 
5 Minute Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,576
vCash: 500
I don't think a Stanley Cup winning coach will be satisfied with being anyone's top assistant unless we are talking about an Olympic style hockey tournament.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:07 PM
  #18
littletonhockeycoach
Registered User
 
littletonhockeycoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Littleton, Co
Country: United States
Posts: 2,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
According to the local coverage since the Carlyle/Boudreau changes, many of the Ducks stars were unhappy with Carlyle's system that emphasized cycles within the zone and generating offense that way; Boudreau has apparently said he intends to shift the Ducks' system to one that generates scoring off the rush.

Based on that, I don't know that Carlyle's style would be a good thing - it sounds like a complete switch from what Ruff and Rolston have been teaching and implementing with the current organization.
That's fine. We can disagree. What intrigues me more about Carlyle has been the Duck'ss physical style of play over the years. I think Randy's had some influence on that noting that the Ducks have a lot big bodies on the team. I'm a fan of the cycle and might suggest that the offensive system Ruff and Rolston implemented to date hasn't struck me as having had a tremendous payoff at this point.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.