HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie: Was it planned all along?

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2003, 09:11 AM
Oilers1*

vCash: 500
Comrie: Was it planned all along?

OK, this is what just occured to me. Let's flashback to 2001 and you're Mike Comrie, weighing signing with Edmonton versus free agency in a few short months. Let's look at your options:

Signing in Edmonton

PROS: -You're a small, skilled player who needs to be able to skate and play offense if you're going to make an impact. Edmonton offers you a system that will play to your strengths, and desperately needs someone (you?) to put the puck in the net. . .so they won't stifle your creativity with a complex defensive scheme.

- Edmonton has a burning need for a second-line center. You hadn't hit puberty the last time Edmonton had a decent one-two punch. But with Doug Weight on the top line, you can walk right into a ready-made second-line scoring role and not have to worry about big-time checking.

CONS: - You're going to be out of the spotlight and you might not have as high a profile as you would in a big, Eastern market.

- You're going to have to fight for every contract and the fans will be watching your every move.

Signing with INSERT FAVORITE BIG-MARKET TEAM HERE (I'll say Detroit):

PROS:- Endorsements shouldn't be a problem.

- The money is limitless.

- You just might win a Cup

CONS: -You're a young guy on a Contender. You'll have to pay your dues. That means starting in the pressbox, then on to the fourth line, then maybe, after a couple years, you might see PP time. That's assuming you skip the AHL altogether. . .

- Defense wins championships. The Wings are in the business of winning the Cup so you're going to have to show you can win faceoffs, check, kill penalties and play the fourth-line before you get a chance to razzle-dazzle. You suck at all that stuff.

- You're playing behind Yzerman, Federov and Larionov. Prime-time ice will be limited.

Each choice has its up's and its down's. Unless, of course, you were to sign in Edmonton, where you'd have three years to basically run hog-wild on offense, put up some nice numbers and then hold out. Then when you end up in Detroit, you're not some unknown Junior prospect, you're a legit NHLer, a 30 goal-scorer. They have to give you ice-time and, with that, comes the money, the winning, the respect, etc.

???

Old
11-01-2003, 10:05 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

great post.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:11 AM
Mr Sakich

we hav emissed you, Laraque27. Where have you been? (and don't give us this crap about having a real life)

Pretty neat analysis.

Old
11-01-2003, 12:32 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
we hav emissed you, Laraque27. Where have you been? (and don't give us this crap about having a real life)

Pretty neat analysis.
I'll third that accollade ... excellent post indeed. One thing confuses me though, Laraque27, I'm new to these HFBoards Joined: 09-19-2003 you Joined: 08-04-2003 with a flurry of posts then slowed but have posted semi-regularly and then less as the season started - why is that given your thoughtful and subtle approach?

Old
11-01-2003, 01:34 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
I'll third that accollade ... excellent post indeed. One thing confuses me though, Laraque27, I'm new to these HFBoards Joined: 09-19-2003 you Joined: 08-04-2003 with a flurry of posts then slowed but have posted semi-regularly and then less as the season started - why is that given your thoughtful and subtle approach?
I think Laraque27 has a full time job educating Leaf fans over at Fanhome.

Old
11-01-2003, 02:13 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Looks pretty accurate to me.

Comrie got a real head start on his nhl career by starting in Edm at just the right time, now he'll be moving on to greener (as in greenbacks) pastures as a very young 30 goal scorer.

Old
11-02-2003, 08:10 AM
Oilers1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich

Pretty neat analysis.
Well, I'm more of a regular on Fanhome. . .I read this board every few days, but I tend to do my posting over there. Nothing against this place, I've just been there longer and its what I'm used to.

Oh yeah, and I think the Sen fans on Fanhome are now officially more annoying than the Leafs. Hard to believe, I know.

Closed Thread