HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defensive Zone Play

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2003, 08:52 PM
boxall9

vCash: 500
Defensive Zone Play

Watching the game tonight, the turnovers almost made me sick! It seems the Oilers think the puck has to be carried out of the zone or a short little pass out of the zone and this is where most of the turnovers happened. In the last 5 mins. the Oilers seemed happy just to get it out of the zone even if it meant high off the glass and all of a sudden, they started getting a lot of chances. Let's face it, the Oilers aren't going to go post to post very often so they should concentrate more on just getting the puck out. Also, Greg Millen is an idiot! When he finally notices something happening that is a good play, he goes on about it forever as if to say "see, I know my hockey, look what that guy keeps doing". If I had to listen to him talk about Brett Hull getting away from traffic once more, I was gonna snap! Millen should go play in traffic! Make your point and move on.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:56 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxall9
Watching the game tonight, the turnovers almost made me sick! It seems the Oilers think the puck has to be carried out of the zone or a short little pass out of the zone and this is where most of the turnovers happened. In the last 5 mins. the Oilers seemed happy just to get it out of the zone even if it meant high off the glass and all of a sudden, they started getting a lot of chances. Let's face it, the Oilers aren't going to go post to post very often so they should concentrate more on just getting the puck out. Also, Greg Millen is an idiot! When he finally notices something happening that is a good play, he goes on about it forever as if to say "see, I know my hockey, look what that guy keeps doing". If I had to listen to him talk about Brett Hull getting away from traffic once more, I was gonna snap! Millen should go play in traffic! Make your point and move on.
Turnovers? What turnovers?

Yeah pretty pathetic. And the source of most of them: Ferguson and Bergeron. And they were rewarded with just as much icetime as the other defensemen.

Old
11-01-2003, 09:08 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Worst game of the year for Bergeron. And thats saying something seeing as he scored a goal. Him and Fergy looked completely brutal out there. One of them will come out when Cross is ready methinks.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:35 PM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Worst game of the year for Bergeron. And thats saying something seeing as he scored a goal. Him and Fergy looked completely brutal out there. One of them will come out when Cross is ready methinks.

Why in the blue hell does MacT put a rookie our with his "weakest" defender (notice I didn't say worse). MAB needs babysitting in our own zone and Ferguson needs a strong dmen partner that he can pass it to as he has trouble lugging it out on his own. I am all for trying things, but for crying out loud, if you take a sh-t, wipe your ass MacT!

Old
11-01-2003, 10:43 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I hope the Oil watch the Detroit break-out and break-in. Completely fluid and easy, even on nights like tonight when I felt they basically mailed it in. Everyone's moving, it's just awesome to watch if you know what a good breakout is.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:50 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Also, Greg Millen is an idiot! When he finally notices something happening that is a good play, he goes on about it forever as if to say "see, I know my hockey, look what that guy keeps doing". If I had to listen to him talk about Brett Hull getting away from traffic once more, I was gonna snap! Millen should go play in traffic! Make your point and move on.
lol. HAHAHAHAHAHA. HEHEHEHEHEH. ahhh....... that cracked me up... Millen should go play in traffic..... classic!

I do agree with you. lol

Old
11-01-2003, 11:36 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Also, Greg Millen is an idiot! When he finally notices something happening that is a good play, he goes on about it forever as if to say "see, I know my hockey, look what that guy keeps doing". If I had to listen to him talk about Brett Hull getting away from traffic once more, I was gonna snap! Millen should go play in traffic! Make your point and move on.
It's gotten to the point for me that when I see him in the pregame I just sigh and slump my shoulders in resignation. Sometimes I swear you could pass his brains through the eye of a needle without touching the sides.

Loved how he kept praising the great Pisani pass on Moreau's goal, when EVERY replay showed it was a deflection from an attempted shot.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:39 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
It's gotten to the point for me that when I see him in the pregame I just sigh and slump my shoulders in resignation. Sometimes I swear you could pass his brains through the eye of a needle without touching the sides.

Loved how he kept praising the great Pisani pass on Moreau's goal, when EVERY replay showed it was a deflection from an attempted shot.
If Fernando actually could make passes look like that, WOW.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:45 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
I hope the Oil watch the Detroit break-out and break-in. Completely fluid and easy, even on nights like tonight when I felt they basically mailed it in. Everyone's moving, it's just awesome to watch if you know what a good breakout is.
Though Detroit struggled defensively tonight as much as the Oilers did, in fact I would say more.

Legace made some great stops.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:51 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Though Detroit struggled defensively tonight as much as the Oilers did, in fact I would say more.

Legace made some great stops.
Yeah, I really thought Detroit took the night off, which makes the tie more disappointing.

He sure did. When I heard he was starting I was alot less optimistic about tonight's game, that guy is plain solid.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:55 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Yeah, I really thought Detroit took the night off, which makes the tie more disappointing.

He sure did. When I heard he was starting I was alot less optimistic about tonight's game, that guy is plain solid.
If they play like that against Vancouver they are going to be blown away.

Old
11-02-2003, 12:05 AM
Digger12

Right now Detroit looks like a team that could use Fedorov a lot more than they could use Hatcher, even if Hatcher was healthy.

IMO the loss of Larionov has hurt them more than you would think. He's older than most hills, but he's still a great complimentary player.

Old
11-02-2003, 12:20 AM
Spearing47

Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
pathetic......yesterday berg played like he was the best oilers out there and tonight he's the worst....calm down...he's gonna be the best d-men ou there in 2 years. he's way more intelligent than brewer, staios , cross, ferguson, semenov....he's just tryin, to make something happen' cause the oilers offensive is too ordinary.he knows he gave the puck a few times but he'll score the big goal trust me

sorry guys i saw a few shifts of the game at the bar....so maybe I was drunk a little bit

see ya guys

Old
11-02-2003, 05:46 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOON63
pathetic......yesterday berg played like he was the best oilers out there and tonight he's the worst....calm down...he's gonna be the best d-men ou there in 2 years. he's way more intelligent than brewer, staios , cross, ferguson, semenov....he's just tryin, to make something happen' cause the oilers offensive is too ordinary.he knows he gave the puck a few times but he'll score the big goal trust me

sorry guys i saw a few shifts of the game at the bar....so maybe I was drunk a little bit

see ya guys
Oh he played really bad last night but big deal. That happens once in a while. I just hope MacT won't bench him next game, playing in Mtl. He's still a young kid learning a tough position. My only thing is that he should have been benched in the 3rd...

Old
11-02-2003, 07:40 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Turnovers? What turnovers?

Yeah pretty pathetic. And the source of most of them: Ferguson and Bergeron. And they were rewarded with just as much icetime as the other defensemen.
If you look at the stats you will see that MAB and Ferguson were 5 and 6 in terms of minutes played by the defense.

MAB gave the puck away about 3 times in a row, I figured MacT would bench him for sure. The play that cost him though was the tip. He didn't impede, force to the outside or tie up the stick.

Having said that Salo should have stopped it. The tip went between his legs. Someone said that if the puck hadn't been deflected it would have hit his stick or pads. How many pieces of equipment do you need to stop a shot? And given that the puck was shot at 2 players how can you know where it's going? It seems to me that the objective when you butterfly is to cover as much open space as possible. somewhere the Oilers have a chart showing where they score against Tommy and I'm guessing 5 hole is #1.

Back to MAB. In spite of the turnovers MacT still played MAB, especially in OT. MAB had a great chance to win the game and Legace made an even greater save (I don't know if an average goalie would have made that save). I give MacT credit and I think this is a change from last year when the Oilers played for an OT tie against West teams and played for the win against the East. We actually played to win and macT showed confidence in a young player who was having a less than stellar night.

Old
11-02-2003, 09:19 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOON63

see ya guys
I don't know if I'd go with "the best out there in 2 years", but agreed, he should only get better. Hopefully Huddy sits down with him and some game tape.

My problem with MAB last night wasn't when he tried to make things happen; that's what we've wanted for years. My problem was when he'd just push the puck away, instead of firing it. That led to missed passes, unsuccessful clearing attempts, and ultimately to turnovers and good scoring chances for the Wings. *Those* need to stop. The Hull chance that Izzy bailed him out on was the biggest and best example, I think.

OK, maybe only 3 bad pinches. But still.

Having said that, I'm glad he's making the choice between him and Semi difficult. It also means Cross doesn't have to rush back in, he can take his time coming back til he's 100%.

Closed Thread