HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We did win the Heatley trade!

Old
12-01-2011, 11:37 AM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
We did win the Heatley trade!

I know some of you are going to flat out say we didn't, but as time goes by, we really did.

I was watching the Wild last night and this guy is just turning into a terrible player. He's always been lazy, but it's getting beyond pathetic. At the pace he is going at, he'll barely crack 20 goals, which is pathetic for someone with his cap hit of what $7.5 million per season?

Conversely, Michalek is having a good year and helps the team in every area of the rink as opposed to Heatley. From a pure hockey perspective, Michalek is a more valuable NHL player than Heatley at this point, especially for the value they provide based on salary.

How often does a 50 goal scorer, which is a label he should not have anymore as it will be 5 years since that, get traded 3 times in 4 years? It says a lot about him.

Even if we didn't have Michalek, we are simply better by addition through subtraction based on Heatley's performance on the ice (on top of the declining trend ala Redden) and his financial impact off it.

The reason why I bring it up is because I was scoffed for suggesting this before, but IMO, this trade has turned completely in our favour.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:38 AM
starling

He did win the game for the Wild last night though

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:41 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

The Wild are also first in the West, no? So obviously having Heatley is working out for them thus far. I dont know about you, but I don't even care about Heatley anymore and I still think my Yashin hate runs deeper than Heatley as the Yashin hate stays, but the Heatley heat has completely faded for me.

In the end im happy with the results because of the loss of Heatleys caphit, plus I think losing Heatley may have made Spezza a better player all around, and our window was probably closed with winning the cup with Heatley here in his final year with the team.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Flamingo

I realized last night that my Heatley hate has subsided. I actually don't care anymore. Booing him will still be fun, though.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
I think its kinda funny how much hes regressing but I was never really pissed at Heatley. Always nice to "win" a trade though. In 100 or so games, maybe we will be able to say that we won this one.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Bueller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
I realized last night that my Heatley hate has subsided. I actually don't care anymore. Booing him will still be fun, though.
This. Talking about whether or not we "won" the trade is pretty useless at this point. We're in a better spot with Michalek then we would be in with Heatley, which is all that really matters.

Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Senasnore

I would much rahter have Michalek' speed and aggressiveness in our lineup for much less money. He also seems well like in the dressing room. Heatley showed us his true character and colours just in time - selfish attitude and greedy - good riddance.

Senasnore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:52 AM
jbeck5

We didn't win it immediately, but for the long run, we did. That's what i originally thought as well (though i though michalek would be a 60 pts guy...he may be this year). I thought with his cap hit being nearly half the amount, and with heatley's game on the decline, that it would be in our favour a couple years down the road.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:56 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
He did win the game for the Wild last night though
I don't get that...When I woke up in the middle of the night I tuned into Sportscenter and it showed Heatley won the game in the shootout, but then goes on to show Brodziak getting the winner for them.

I'm over Heatley however but don't see how we won the trade. We got Michalek and a deadweight contract who up until this season hasn't really been dynamite. Sharks got better production out of Heatley in the 2 years.

That trade is finally now working out for both sides. The bigger question is who won the Minnie - San Jose trade....which both teams are also doing well currently so perhaps it's a win/win for them right now too.

12-01-2011, 11:56 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
I just found it real funny when Edmonton booed him for refusing a trade to them haha

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:58 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
I dont know about you, but I don't even care about Heatley anymore and I still think my Yashin hate runs deeper than Heatley as the Yashin hate stays, but the Heatley heat has completely faded for me.
It's the opposite for me. Yashin liked the sens...he just liked money more. He wanted to be here. He just wanted to make more money. Heatley on the other hand, didn't want to be here at all.

I respect someone who wants to be here but is greedy, over someone who doesn't want to be here at all.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:27 PM
playasRus

What did we get from that trade again? Michalek, Cheechoo and a 3rd?

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:31 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I mainly trash talk Heatley around my friends to keep up appearances. They can't think im going soft!!! but i agree that I really dont give a crap about it anymore.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Afro Thunder*

I still say we lost the trade because AT THE TIME OF THE TRADE Heatly was way more valuable than the package that we got.

It's nice to see him regress though, but also hate seeing Havlat not scoring.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:35 PM
starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
What did we get from that trade again? Michalek, Cheechoo and a 3rd?
Michalek, Cheechoo and 2nd (traded for Sutton)

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:40 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

I do wonder as of right now, who SJ fans would want the most, Heatley, Michalek or Havlat.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:42 PM
bdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
I still say we lost the trade because AT THE TIME OF THE TRADE Heatly was way more valuable than the package that we got.

It's nice to see him regress though, but also hate seeing Havlat not scoring.
Eh, he was only as valuable as whatever the highest bidder was willing to pay.

I'm just happy he denied the Edmonton trade, in hindsight the Penner/Smid/Cogliano package is terrible.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:43 PM
MatthewT

lets wait and see if Michalek can stay healthy for a significant amount of time

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:44 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
I do wonder as of right now, who SJ fans would want the most, Heatley, Michalek or Havlat.
I think it would be Michalek for sure. He still has a lot of supporters there, at least the Sharks fans in these boards are still fond of him. Most didn't want him to be traded.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:54 PM
BigEyedPhish

We won EASILY...

Ignoring the fact that Michalek scores more goals than Heatley this season... trolololol

Michalek is just a better all-around hockey player.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:09 PM
chris39bong

Obviously, in the long run, the Heatley trade will continue to look better for Ottawa. Michalek is a very good two-way player that is younger and has a lower cap hit than Heatley. Cheechoo ended up being a waste, but the 2nd rounder was a nice bonus.

That said, the Sharks still did very good in getting an top tier sniper for basically Michalek. Heatley also got ~40 goals for the Sharks his first year in Teal. As the OP mentioned, Danny's game has really started to decline. Besides his shot, he doesn't really do much to help a team on the ice. He can't create chances on his own with any consistency, and he's turning into a defensive liability. His once saving grace is that even if he doesn't get 30+ goals a year, he opens up space for his linemates because defenses still need to respect his shot and can't give him room.

Looking back on it from the Sharks perspective, Havlat has hit an offensive rut lately (could be due to offseason surgery, new system, and/or being placed on the 3rd line not as a demotion but to balance out the forward lines), but he could easily end up outscoring Heatley and being a better 3 zone player despite being only 2/3rds of the cap hit. They'd still probably rather have Havlat than Michalek. It'll be interesting to see who has more points at the end of the next two seasons. That said, the Sharks ended up trading Michalek, Cheechoo, and a 2nd for a guy they could potentially have just signed as a UFA. Ottawa wins the 3-team trade win you look at it from that perspective.

chris39bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:10 PM
sens83

Quote:
Setoguchi

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:17 PM
SpezDispenser

I think at this point - barring injury (ha) - we won it, yeah.

SpezDispenser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

I think it's a bit premature. Heatley scored 65 goals and a boatload of assists over the last two seasons with San Jose while Michalek was limping to score 40, and taking Cheechoo in the deal given his contract and lack of production was actually doing the Sharks a favour in giving them more cap room. For Two years, the Sharks certainly had the better of the deal given the impact Heatley had with the Sharks (they were a contender, albeit fell short), while out team became underachievers trying to fill Heatley's shoes by overpaying Kovalev. Combine Kovalev, Michalek and Cheechoo's $'s and one could argue the deal financially was a poor one for us too.

That said, if the current pace DOES continue, and Michalek scored 35 goals or so this season, while Heater is in the 20-something range, i think it starts to even out. If Michalek continues that pace next year, we have the chance to at least to get two great years out of him. I'm not sure we'll be able to keep him beyond next year given the $6M price-tag he carries his last year, but maybe we'll decide its worth it at that point. Typically isn't when the guy is 30 with a history of knee issues and skating is his primary weapon, but who knows. If he can stay healthy through to next season, that would be a good sign.

Can't recall what we did with the 2nd rounder in 2010. I think we traded it, but can't recall for what or whom. Overall, the trade can't be seen yet as a our finest maximization of an asset, although not nearly as bad as the Havlat deal.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
I think it's a bit premature. Heatley scored 65 goals and a boatload of assists over the last two seasons with San Jose while Michalek was limping to score 40, and taking Cheechoo in the deal given his contract and lack of production was actually doing the Sharks a favour in giving them more cap room. For Two years, the Sharks certainly had the better of the deal given the impact Heatley had with the Sharks (they were a contender, albeit fell short), while out team became underachievers trying to fill Heatley's shoes by overpaying Kovalev. Combine Kovalev, Michalek and Cheechoo's $'s and one could argue the deal financially was a poor one for us too.

That said, if the current pace DOES continue, and Michalek scored 35 goals or so this season, while Heater is in the 20-something range, i think it starts to even out. If Michalek continues that pace next year, we have the chance to at least to get two great years out of him. I'm not sure we'll be able to keep him beyond next year given the $6M price-tag he carries his last year, but maybe we'll decide its worth it at that point. Typically isn't when the guy is 30 with a history of knee issues and skating is his primary weapon, but who knows. If he can stay healthy through to next season, that would be a good sign.

Can't recall what we did with the 2nd rounder in 2010. I think we traded it, but can't recall for what or whom. Overall, the trade can't be seen yet as a our finest maximization of an asset, although not nearly as bad as the Havlat deal.
I've never liked it when people lump signing Kovalev in with the Heatley trade. A bad decision after the trade does not affect the quality of the trade. The cap relief we got had value that we did not maximize, the value of the trade itself remains the same. Had we signed Camalerri instead of Kovalev, the trade would have been just as good or bad as it is now.

We got assets in Michalek, Cheechoo (deferred cap relief), cap relief, and a second. What we did with the assets is a different matter.

Micklebot is online now   Reply With Quote