HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Matt Walker clears re-entry waivers

Old
12-01-2011, 12:37 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That's not what I am saying at all. You don't know what Homer knows. It seems risky, yes. And if he gets claimed this will be a bonehead move and I'll be on board with everyone. But if he clears, it might not be "luck." It may be that Homer knew beforehand because he is the GM and talks to other GMs. What am I saying? That is crazy! Homer couldn't possibly know something that you don't know because you called the Vokoun contract!
So you have faith that Homer talked to 29 other GMs and got a "pinky promise" that they wont take Walker?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Not sure I follow here? I think he waived Nodl specifically to get rid of him.
According to Holmgren he waived him to gauge interest.

12-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
So you have faith that Homer talked to 29 other GMs and got a "pinky promise" that they wont take Walker?
Apaprently Holmgren has a crystal ball that allows him to see the thoughts of all the other GMs. He knows things.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:40 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
In this case, we can't "guess" what Homer is thinking, because he actually said it word for word.

I see this as the Randy Jones treatment. Walker is a nice guy and Homer probably believes he should play in the NHL.

Old
12-01-2011, 12:44 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Walker clears and he is in the lineup against Anaheim

Walker is claimed and we are stuck with half of Walker's salary.

So its either death by a staple gun, or death by a nail gun.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:46 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
I have no idea what he knows, but acting like he is running blind is ridiculous. Tomorrow if he clears it will be "Homer is so lucky!" Why can't it be that he knew? How is that any less likely? Is it really impossible for a GM to have better information than posters on a message board?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Oh ffs holmgren. What in the hell are you doing. Sort your life out

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
I have no idea what he knows, but acting like he is running blind is ridiculous. Tomorrow if he clears it will be "Homer is so lucky!" Why can't it be that he knew? How is that any less likely? Is it really impossible for a GM to have better information than posters on a message board?
It's because he CAN'T know for certain. There's no earthly way. He would be getting lucky, because there is no way that he can know the intentions of every GM in the league short of being Miss Cleo or a superhero.

Old
12-01-2011, 12:52 PM
BealeStreetTyrant

Quote:
Beef Logic: Headbutting a sidewalk is a bad idea, you might get a concussion

DFF Logic: Headbutting a sidewalk is only a bad idea if you get a concussion.
I rarely post here, but long time reader...This analogy is perfect.

BealeStreetTyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Prongo
Beer

This happened with Randy Jones remember. Holmgren said he was pissed cuz he sent out a league wide email saying he was putting him on Re-entry and if anyone was going to claim him. He got no responses and he got claimed haha Homer wasn't happy

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MASE THE ACE

bad news Anaheim just picked him up

MASE THE ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Kinda like Beef said. Unless he has super powers, how does he know what 29 other people are thinking? Its not that we are posters and have knowledge, its just simple business ethics here...

Unless he knows what every other GM is thinking. its a bad decision to call up a player who can cripple a team even farther in the salary cap world.

Old
12-01-2011, 12:55 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Quote:
It's because he CAN'T know for certain. There's no earthly way. He would be getting lucky, because there is no way that he can know the intentions of every GM in the league short of being Miss Cleo or a superhero.
How is there no way he can know? He can't call around? He doesn't have people working for him that have this sort of information? Nope, he just has HF Boards and that is where he gets his info from, which is why most of the time you know more than he does. I get it now.

Old
12-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Kaktus*

So if he is picked up, does it mean we'll waive Shelley?

We did this with Randy Jones not too long ago did not turn out good.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:56 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by backburner View Post
bad news Anaheim just picked him up
nice try

we wont know until tomorrow if anyone picked him up

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:58 PM
bryzgalovsky*

How could Holmgren even know anything that we don't?

Do you think he went around and polled every GM to find out if they would claim Walker?

Do you think the other GMs would be dumb enough to tell him the truth that they want to claim him, knowing that Holmgren would not bring him up then?

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:01 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
How is there no way he can know? He can't call around? He doesn't have people working for him that have this sort of information? Nope, he just has HF Boards and that is where he gets his info from, which is why most of the time you know more than he does. I get it now.
Oh stop it with the HFBOARDS thing. Honestly even the beat writers are calling it stupid and half of them love Homer.

Sorry but Im thinking on the realistic side that Paul Holmgren doesnt knows what every other GM in the league is thinking. And honestly, he would be pretty gulible if he trusted the word of 29 other competitors in the league even IF they all say they wouldn't.

Just like you assume Holmgren has talked to every GM in the league and got their word they wont grab Walker, Im going to assume that right now, this very second there are GMs thinking hard if they want a 6/7th defender for 800k.

Old
12-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
What stops those GMs from lying to him or changing their minds?

Old
12-01-2011, 01:02 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
How is there no way he can know? BECAUSE GMs CAN LIE.

What kind of idiot GM would tell Homer straight to his face that he plans to claim a guy Homer is thinking about waiving?

If claiming the guy would help your team, THEN YOU LIE TO HOMER SO THAT HE WAIVES HIM.

That you somehow don't get this...

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:03 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

like I said, I dont think anyone wil lclaim him, but this is still an unecessary move

sometimes i wonder about our GM

Old
12-01-2011, 01:04 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

I'm not saying no one will lie or that he knows everything. But if he clears tomorrow, you can't say that it was just luck and Homer was stupid because you have no idea what he knows. Yes, he may know nothing and it may be luck. But its just as likely that he knows the pulse of the league and has people looking at other teams and who might be interested. Is that really that far fetched?

Old
12-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
I'm not saying no one will lie or that he knows everything. But if he clears tomorrow, you can't say that it was just luck and Homer was stupid because you have no idea what he knows. Yes, he may know nothing and it may be luck. But its just as likely that he knows the pulse of the league and has people looking at other teams and who might be interested. Is that really that far fetched?
If he knows the pulse of the league so well, why is he constantly throwing away draft picks in trades and overpaying players?

Hell, the guy routinely makes CBA mistakes. I doubt he's a master of league-pulse.

Old
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
makes sense

Old
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Didn't Holmgren say that everybody in the league is looking for D men right now..so he's offering the league a D man at half the salary...good one. Having said this his only saving grace is that Walker is pretty bad but he is still exposing himself like a perv...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:07 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Guage interest in someone taking the contract off their hands. They already knew no one would trade for the guy because the AHL is full of plumbers like Nodl. They needed to lose a contract.

No wait you're right Homer didn't want to use up his cell minutes calling GMs to try and make a trade so he just put him on waivers.

I love how guys like Nodl & Powe get over valued on these boards. The Phantoms alone probably have 10 guys that can do what Nodl does. No one was willing to give anything of value for the guy because he was a stiff.

That said, Homer is playing with fire trying to recall Walker. I can't see how a team like BUF that doesn't have a pair between the entire team doesn't pick him up if only for when they play BOS.

I hope this isn't another Gauthier or Jones situation where he just doesn't think it's fair to lee a good guy waste in the A. I think he gauged interest for Walker and is making a calculated guess. Still very risky.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote