HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Matt Walker clears re-entry waivers

Old
12-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Didn't Holmgren say that everybody in the league is looking for D men right now..so he's offering the league a D man at half the salary...good one. Having said this his only saving grace is that Walker is pretty bad but he is still exposing himself like a perv...

This would explain a lot. Perhaps waiving players makes him "jolly."

12-01-2011, 01:08 PM
BillDineen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Beef Logic: Headbutting a sidewalk is a bad idea, you might get a concussion

DFF Logic: Headbutting a sidewalk is only a bad idea if you get a concussion.
To me this was checkmate. Moderators please delete any DFF response after this.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
But its just as likely that he knows the pulse of the league and has people looking at other teams and who might be interested. Is that really that far fetched?
So you're saying he psychically read the minds of other GMs and knows for a fact they won't claim him, or has spies secretly planted within every organization who have told him they are 100% the organization will not claim him.

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I'm not saying no one will lie or that he knows everything. But if he clears tomorrow, you can't say that it was just luck and Homer was stupid because you have no idea what he knows. Yes, he may know nothing and it may be luck. But its just as likely that he knows the pulse of the league and has people looking at other teams and who might be interested. Is that really that far fetched?
Thats the think man, it is far fetched. Gotta think of this in a sense of probability. Nothing is equal. There is a higher chance that Homer does not know what 29 other people are thinking.

Homer, from his mouth, said that there are other teams out there looking for defenders like we are. This alone increases the chances that Walker will be taken. It's all about percentages and where everything falls. Here, the risk percentage is higher than the non-risk.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Guage interest in someone taking the contract off their hands. They already knew no one would trade for the guy because the AHL is full of plumbers like Nodl. They needed to lose a contract.

No wait you're right Homer didn't want to use up his cell minutes calling GMs to try and make a trade so he just put him on waivers.

I love how guys like Nodl & Powe get over valued on these boards. The Phantoms alone probably have 10 guys that can do what Nodl does. No one was willing to give anything of value for the guy because he was a stiff.

That said, Homer is playing with fire trying to recall Walker. I can't see how a team like BUF that doesn't have a pair between the entire team doesn't pick him up if only for when they play BOS.

I hope this isn't another Gauthier or Jones situation where he just doesn't think it's fair to lee a good guy waste in the A. I think he gauged interest for Walker and is making a calculated guess. Still very risky.
Really? The AHL is just chock full of guys with close to two years of NHL experience who are also proven, reliable 4th liners?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:10 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Really? The AHL is just chock full of guys with close to two years of NHL experience who are also proven, reliable 4th liners?
Nodl is a role player...stop making him seem like he was anything more than that

losing him will do NOTHING to this team

easily replaceable

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:12 PM
lancer247

Quote:
If he knows the pulse of the league so well, why is he constantly throwing away draft picks in trades and overpaying players?

Hell, the guy routinely makes CBA mistakes. I doubt he's a master of league-pulse.
the guy has been in front office positions for @ 20 years so he probably has a real good idea of the pulse of the league. He also has an owner that wants to win it all every season at all costs so he is overly aggressive in acquiring players. Most of his signings aren't that bad but he'll over pay a player that he thinks the team needs in order to get their man.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I'm a little gutted that we lost Nodl, but it's hardly the end of the world. I can't see any team offering even a 7th for him anyhow. While it seems like a waste of an asset, he wasn't going to return anything, and he wasn't going to play. We all know Shelley isn't going anywhere so we have to put up with it.

Walker on the other hand........

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Nodl is a role player...stop making him seem like he was anything more than that

losing him will do NOTHING to this team

easily replaceable
I've never claimed it hurt's the team on the ice, it's just terrible asset management. Nodl is worth more than nothing because he is a proven NHL-level player. He was given away for free...much like Walker might be.

Old
12-01-2011, 01:14 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:

zing zing zing

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:15 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Thats the think man, it is far fetched. Gotta think of this in a sense of probability. Nothing is equal. There is a higher chance that Homer does not know what 29 other people are thinking.

Homer, from his mouth, said that there are other teams out there looking for defenders like we are. This alone increases the chances that Walker will be taken. It's all about percentages and where everything falls. Here, the risk percentage is higher than the non-risk.
So you are telling me that when GMs waive/re-call players, they have no idea what will happen. Players to be waived and/or recalled was a total crap shoot? GMs don't know what is going on around the league. They don't know what value their players have when it comes to stuff like this. You or I could be placed in the same situation and make the same choices with the current knowledge we have now.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:18 PM
lancer247

Quote:
I am sure their are more then a few in the AHL that fit that bill. At the very least their are plenty of guys ready to step up and fill that role.

Let's see, how many guys do you think are in the ahl that are fast and hard workers that can't finish to save their lives? I am willing to be that describes 40% of the league.

Old
12-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
I am sure their are more then a few in the AHL that fit that bill. At the very least their are plenty of guys ready to step up and fill that role.

Let's see, how many guys do you think are in the ahl that are fast and hard workers that can't finish to save their lives? I am willing to be that describes 40% of the league.
By this logic, no 4th liner in the NHL has any value at all. That isn't the case. Nodl isn't a guy who's only been up for a month. He's shown he can stick in the NHL. The only reason he was sent down was injury; if he'd stayed healthy I doubt he would be waived now.

Old
12-01-2011, 01:21 PM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
So you are telling me that when GMs waive/re-call players, they have no idea what will happen. Players to be waived and/or recalled was a total crap shoot? GMs don't know what is going on around the league. They don't know what value their players have when it comes to stuff like this. You or I could be placed in the same situation and make the same choices with the current knowledge we have now.
Yeah, that's exactly what people are saying.

Because nobody is psychic.

All the other GMs could be lying to Holmgren. In fact, it makes sense for them to lie otherwise they won't have a chance to claim him.

Paul Holmgren: Hey guys, I'm just going to leave this $1 million check in my unlocked office, nobody's going to steal it right?
Other GMs: No, no. Of course we would never do that!

Old
12-01-2011, 01:22 PM
lancer247

Quote:
I've never claimed it hurt's the team on the ice, it's just terrible asset management. Nodl is worth more than nothing because he is a proven NHL-level player. He was given away for free...much like Walker might be.
he is worth what teams will give up for him...NOTHING. He is a good citizen that works hard and everyone wants to see him do well but he is just another guy.

Old
12-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Bennysflyers16

Paul Holmgren best case scenario,,,,,

We have one of the worst D men in the whole NHL playing on our team with a 1.75 Mill Cap hit

Bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:24 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:

This is a dumb analogy. There is no positive to head butting a sidewalk, unless you are on the cast of jackass and then you make movies and lots of money...so there it's worth the risk.

There is a positive to recalling walker if he clears...perhaps...homer is willing to eat the cap hit just to clear the contract # limit too...

I don't like the move....but 850k isn't going to destroy us like some are acting...it's not like this is reddens contract.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:24 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Quote:

Darrol Powe says "hello"

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:25 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
no one is going to give us anything for Nodl

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:26 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post

All the other GMs could be lying to Holmgren. In fact, it makes sense for them to lie otherwise they won't have a chance to claim him.

Paul Holmgren: Hey guys, I'm just going to leave this $1 million check in my unlocked office, nobody's going to steal it right?
Lol. No one is psychic, yet you know what information Paul Holmgren has based on nothing more than it is what you think. While my thinking that it is possible he has information (not that he 100% has any info, only that it is possible) is ridiculous. Ok. You win.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:27 PM
silver surfer

Quote:
It's because he CAN'T know for certain. There's no earthly way. He would be getting lucky, because there is no way that he can know the intentions of every GM in the league short of being Miss Cleo or a superhero.
Wait. Are you implying that Miss Cleo is not a superhero?

silver surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:27 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post

There is SOME level of collusion between GMs in the NHL. There are "rules", and those that violate them are "blacklisted". It's a relationship business, not just bean counter moving assets...

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:28 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
See it's not an all or nothing logic here. I can tell you with confidence GMs do not know what is going to happen when they recall or waive a player. They make guesses or educated guesses, but I firmly believe they do not know what other GMs are thinking about doing. Value of a player and value of a player to a specific team are two different things.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
(not that he 100% has any info, only that it is possible)
So you're saying it's possible that Paul Holmgren knows exactly what every other GM in the league is thinking and none of them will claim Walker?

Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
This is a dumb analogy. There is no positive to head butting a sidewalk, unless you are on the cast of jackass and then you make movies and lots of money...so there it's worth the risk.

There is a positive to recalling walker if he clears...perhaps...homer is willing to eat the cap hit just to clear the contract # limit too...

I don't like the move....but 850k isn't going to destroy us like some are acting...it's not like this is reddens contract.
The salary cap matters. Nearly 1 million dollars of dead space on a team that operates right at the cap and has several players on LTIR is a big ****ing deal. Homer's cap mismanagement in the past has caused players to be sent down or traded away for scraps...Upshall, Giroux, JVR, and Gagne for example. Once people start coming off LTIR and we are 850k short of cap space, some perfectly good player is going to either be traded for nothing or sent back down. We've seen this song and dance many times before. This team cannot afford to have 850k of dead cap space, and therefore it shouldn't be running the risk of having Walker claimed.