HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Matt Walker clears re-entry waivers

Old
12-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Remember what I said before, you need to include how valuable a player is to his team and than other teams. If its more valuable to other teams, yes its luck.

What are these other variables. You seem to be playing this line lately. Its pretty easy to guess variables that we dont know and Homer does. What do you think? You stated the variable of him knowing what 29 other GMs are going to do. We proved that its impossible. What else?
The earth's magnetic field.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:58 PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yes he would. He's done it before. It ended poorly.
Yeh, this happens all the time. Homer does something, the public slate him for it, it works out fine. I think we've been hurt on re-entry waivers...once?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Remember what I said before, you need to include how valuable a player is to his team and than other teams. If its more valuable to other teams, yes its luck.

What are these other variables. You seem to be playing this line lately. Its pretty easy to guess variables that we dont know and Homer does. What do you think? You stated the variable of him knowing what 29 other GMs are going to do. We proved that its impossible. What else?
Lol, you proved that it is impossible by saying it is impossible. You don't think he can call 29 people and trust what they say so that makes it impossible. I don't know what the other variables are, but I would bet a lot of money that he has information that we don't have.

99% of the people on here will not consider other options. It is only that he is stupid and has no idea what he is doing. I happen to believe, that there is at least a chance he knows what he is doing. He may not, and if he gets claimed, it will show his information was bad or that he just blew it. If he clears, it may be luck, but it also may be that he is the ****ing GM and talks to other GMs and has a staff of people all with their finger on the pulse of the league and the value of the players. Wait, that is outrageous. I'm sorry. No way that is possible. He probably just **** his pants and tried to call someone for help but accidentally recalled Matt Walker because there is certainly no chance that he has some insight into this situation that isn't posted on HockeyBuzz or BroadStreetHockey or HFBoards.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Yeh, this happens all the time. Homer does something, the public slate him for it, it works out fine. I think we've been hurt on re-entry waivers...once?
It's not like guys are on re-entry all that often. In fact, split contract cases like this are almost NEVER put on re-entry waivers when they have more than one year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
You guys are missing it, homer is actually brilliant, ridiculously overpay a bad player, ie walker or leighton, waive him to shed the awful contract, then if you need him, recall him and even half their contract is still silly for another team to claim. genius
Yes, he ridiculously overpaid these players. Leighton was ridiculously earning about 2% of our total cap, Walker a little more. Also, I don't know if this will get through, but he didn't even give Walker that contract.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
achdumeingute

Quote:
Cap mismanagement has only lingering repercussions?

Go ask Gagne about that.
Beef, that was a one season issue. I think we survived man. Still we're competitive.

PH has made a number of bad moves as of late, but hindsight is 20/20. Many said talbot makes too much, but I think that's been a great deal...

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Beef, that was a one season issue. I think we survived man. Still we're competitive.

PH has made a number of bad moves as of late, but hindsight is 20/20. Many said talbot makes too much, but I think that's been a great deal...
Hindsight? What? Hindsight has served to confirm that many of the deals and signingthat were heavily panned are indeed bad. I don't know why you brought up Talbot, I was fine with that signing as well.

Gagne is NOT a one season issue. It's still an issue. This team could most definitely benefit from having Gagne on it, considering its defensive issues...instead, he had to be thrown away for a 4th round pick and freaking Matt Walker. Holmgren can't manage the cap, and it's routinely causing problems for the team.

12-01-2011, 02:10 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Walker just got claimed..

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:12 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Walker just got claimed..
pretty sure we won't find out until tomorrow?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
pretty sure we won't find out until tomorrow?
Correct.

Unless the team at the top of the waiver order claims him, perhaps?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:15 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Hindsight? What? Hindsight has served to confirm that many of the deals and signingthat were heavily panned are indeed bad. I don't know why you brought up Talbot, I was fine with that signing as well.

Gagne is NOT a one season issue. It's still an issue. This team could most definitely benefit from having Gagne on it, considering its defensive issues...instead, he had to be thrown away for a 4th round pick and freaking Matt Walker. Holmgren can't manage the cap, and it's routinely causing problems for the team.
We weren't keeping gags. With a cap it wasn't going to happen. We could have had him this offseason if we wanted him...but we didn't for the price he got.
Alot of pens fans think talbot is overpaid...

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:18 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

I know all you guys who just love hockey and the Flyers in general would kick a puppy to insult Homer, but can we wait and se what happens?

Even if he does get claimed, I strongly doubt Walker gets reborn into some dman...worth something.

LetsGoFlyers1825 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
I know all you guys who just love hockey and the Flyers in general would kick a puppy to insult Homer, but can we wait and se what happens?

Even if he does get claimed, I strongly doubt Walker gets reborn into some dman...worth something.
How well he plays elsewhere isn't really the issue, it's the dead chunk of cap space he poops all over the organization as he walks out the door.

Old
12-01-2011, 02:22 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

Quote:
How well he plays elsewhere isn't really the issue, it's the dead chunk of cap space he poops all over the organization as he walks out the door.
Well unless I read wrong, him being claimed and then waived takes away the hit we pay? Yeah, I am not going to bet Matt Walker stays on an NHL team for too long

Old
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
pretty sure he's pointing out the fact that Walker is a fringe NHLer and once his potential new team realizes that after a few games, they'll waive him

Old
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
With Markov coming back?
I kinda feel like im intruding on your conversation but, Markov has not played a game in over a year. Who knows how his knee will hold up, if at all. Plus The habs have 3 rookies on d right now and Subban is in his second year. You guys complain that walker sucks, and maybe he does, but the habs could use him IMO. ESP at half his salary

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
pretty sure he's pointing out the fact that Walker is a fringe NHLer and once his potential new team realizes that after a few games, they'll waive him
We'll still be responsible for his hit. edit 2: Unless he disappears into the AHL. That would be awesome, and if he's claimed hopefully that happens rapidly.

edit:

After looking at the Trade board, these teams might have an interest in Walker: Buffalo, NYI, Vancouver (I guess?), Calgary, Toronto, Montreal. Hopefully the fans who posted from those fanbases are dead wrong.

Old
12-01-2011, 02:25 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Well unless I read wrong, him being claimed and then waived takes away the hit we pay? Yeah, I am not going to bet Matt Walker stays on an NHL team for too long
While I agree, that depends heavily on the team that claims him.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:27 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
While I agree, that depends heavily on the team that claims him.
True, we'll just have to wait and see.

Old
12-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
We'll still be responsible for his hit. edit 2: Unless he disappears into the AHL. That would be awesome, and if he's claimed hopefully that happens rapidly.

edit:

After looking at the Trade board, these teams might have an interest in Walker: Buffalo, NYI, Vancouver (I guess?), Calgary, Toronto, Montreal. Hopefully the fans who posted from those fanbases are dead wrong.
You ninja edited the **** out of this lol Twice I was gonna say something and both times you were on it haha

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
You ninja edited the **** out of this lol Twice I was gonna say something and both times you were on it haha
Pretty much every post I make gets edited two or three times the millisecond I post it.

edit: see? I just edited this one.

Old
12-01-2011, 02:29 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
True, we'll just have to wait and see.
Yep. I'm in no way bashing the move...yet. If he clears we get a backup defenseman. If he's claimed it sucks but there's still potential that cap hit disappears and we clear up one more contract from the max contracts the Flyers have.

Old
12-01-2011, 02:30 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Pretty much every post I make gets edited two or three times the millisecond I post it.

edit: see? I just edited this one.
I'm guilty of that too.

Old
12-01-2011, 02:34 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Yep. I'm in no way bashing the move...yet. If he clears we get a backup defenseman. If he's claimed it sucks but there's still potential that cap hit disappears and we clear up one more contract from the max contracts the Flyers have.
Exactly, I'll be angry to if gets claimed and Ill be pissed at Homer. People just want to think a bad dman on re-rentry waives out weighs good things he has done. Walker doesnt really fit for us, but Id take him over Lilja.

Old
12-01-2011, 02:35 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Exactly, I'll be angry to if gets claimed and Ill be pissed at Homer. People just want to think a bad dman on re-rentry waives out weighs good things he has done. Walker doesnt really fit for us, but Id take him over Lilja.
they both suck in their own way