HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Wings to host Winter Classic within next two seasons

Old
12-01-2011, 01:07 PM
kdfsjljklgjfg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I think you're one of the few that still thinks of the Avs in some rivalry sense vis-a-vis the Wings. Wings-Sharks games today are much more entertaining. I don't know if many outside of these two markets would even remember there was some history these days, new NHL and all....
I was like 5-8 at the time. Too young to really appreciate it.

Am I the only one who thinks that Wings-Ducks would be one of the better ones? We had a couple of intense series with them.

kdfsjljklgjfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I think it'll be the Kings. It'd be a good way to give exposure to a western team that should be a legitimate contender at that point.

With the jersey, I wouldn't mind bringing back the striped jersey they played for a bit in '92(?) when the NHL was celebrating its anniversary then.

edit: another team that might make a ton of sense from a marketing point: Phoenix. They'll have a new owner (wherever they are) at that point, and it would give them an instant shot in the arm.

12-01-2011, 01:10 PM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg View Post
I was like 5-8 at the time. Too young to really appreciate it.

Am I the only one who thinks that Wings-Ducks would be one of the better ones? We had a couple of intense series with them.
even the ducks-wings rivalry seems to be dying. the 2 games against them this year have been less than stellar entertainment for the casual hockey fan

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
even the ducks-wings rivalry seems to be dying. the 2 games against them this year have been less than stellar entertainment for the casual hockey fan
Ducks without Pronger and Niedermayer = rivalry gone.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:38 PM
DRWCountryClub

What about the jersey that has the emblem that has the inverted colours? Instead of the outline being white the outline is red?

I think they used it in the 50s or something, not sure though.

Edit*

Something like this?

From the 60's I believe.

Last edited by DRWCountryClub: 12-01-2011 at 01:45 PM.
DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
I'd definitely be driving down from the GTA to see the WC.

Wonder what the jersey would be?

Either these or the one from 09 is all I can think off. Unless they come up with a completley new design.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:46 PM
newfy

I'm pumped to say the least.

My guess is Comerica but the big house against Toronto wuol dbreak records and that has to be sitting in the back of Bettman's mind.

I could see them playing any of trhe California teams actually. San Jose Detroit has been good lately, the kings have a tonne of young star power to show off and the ducks wings history is still there. The Ducks are looking like theyre going to screw themselves though by playing poorly this season.

They wont just put a bad team in the classic. Thats why Toronto hasnt gotten an outdoor game yet.

Detroit Colorado would be good too with the history and Colorado having a lot of young firepower as well.

I'll be going to this game no matter what

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 02:43 PM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Keep in mind we might be in the Eastern conference next season (fingers crossed).

Why not Boston @ Detroit? Original 6 matchup and always a good game.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 03:57 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I think you're one of the few that still thinks of the Avs in some rivalry sense vis-a-vis the Wings. Wings-Sharks games today are much more entertaining. I don't know if many outside of these two markets would even remember there was some history these days, new NHL and all....
The Wings-Hawks rivalry was a complete joke for ages before the last couple of years, that didn't stop them from using history to set up a Winter Classic game between the two. Hell when they first announced that matchup the Hawks weren't getting a whiff of the postseason. There's far more history between the Wings and the Avs than there is between the Wings and the Sharks, full stop.

Then again, this is the same league that's conveniently turning a blind eye to the Bruins-Habs rivalry because apparently having one of the wealthiest, most profitable teams in the NHL in a Winter Classic participating in one of the oldest, most passionate rivalries in North American sports would put NBC's panties in a twist, so I'm hardly expecting them to do this right.

Last edited by CorbeauNoir: 12-01-2011 at 04:11 PM.
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
What about the jersey that has the emblem that has the inverted colours? Instead of the outline being white the outline is red?

I think they used it in the 50s or something, not sure though.

Edit*

Something like this?

From the 60's I believe.

Those are great...even with darker red. Makes me think of Cameron in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
The Wings-Hawks rivalry was a complete joke for ages before the last couple of years, that didn't stop them from using history to set up a Winter Classic game between the two. Hell when they announced that WC matchup the Hawks weren't getting a whiff of the postseason. There's far more history between the Wings and the Avs than there is between the Wings and the Sharks, full stop.

Then again, this is the same league that's conveniently turning a blind eye to the Bruins-Habs rivalry because apparently having one of the wealthiest, most profitable teams in the NHL in a Winter Classic would put NBC's panties in a twist, so I'm hardly expecting them to do this right.

Yes, but Chicago had two things going for them. They were an up and coming team, and they're the third largest media market in the country. They made a push to the NHL to let them host it, using Wrigley Field to add intrigue from a marketing perspective, legendary old baseball stadium, historical rivalry (two Original Six teams). So yeah, maybe with the O6 factor, they had three things going for them. That was my favorite showcasing and venue by far to this point. Chicago shows up well on the TV with the skyscraper skyline and Lake Michigan frontage. It was all lit up for the holidays, the outdoor skating rink.... very nice.

Of all the teams used, four have gone on to win Cups (and other than the Wings, after the WC), plus Philly and the Pens were both in the final (with the Pens winning one of those). Interesting.

I really hope it is Michigan Stadium. The potential to claim 100K hockey fans at an NHL game shouldn't be easily passed up.

Edit: Agreed on neglecting the Habs and Leafs. Really unforgivable, and it could be scripted very nicely. I think most people tune in because it's the WC--- not necessarily who's there. We all watch even if the Wings aren't in it.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote