HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Walker clears re-entry waivers

Old
12-01-2011, 05:20 PM
achdumeingute

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
So..you're just perfectly OK with losing players because the GM can't manage the cap? Why? Because we aren't last in the league? It sure hasn't helped us win any Cups, that's for sure.
Call me when we lose someone we were not already going to lose because we have a younger guy to fill the role.

Hartnell replaced knuble. Giroux replaced gags...simmonds will likely replace hartnell...and the circle of life continues.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 05:20 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I just heard the news. Randy Jones 2.0 with a twist of Randy Jones not initially costing us Simon Gagne.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Codith

We don't know what Homers short term and long term plan is right now. Maybe he anticipated a claim on Walker hence doing so to remove one more roster spot for a possible trade/signing. We have no idea, maybe there is more to it, maybe it is **** up. Everyone jumps the gun on here it is really ridiculous.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 05:21 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
I won't defend everything he's done but I find some people hate him just because. He could somehow acquire Ovy and Crosby in the same day and his haters would ***** about the cap hit. It's fine to criticize but some people take it to far. That being said this is a horrible idea.
QFT completely.

Old
12-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Beef Logic: Headbutting a sidewalk is a bad idea, you might get a concussion

DFF Logic: Headbutting a sidewalk is only a bad idea if you get a concussion.
Post of the year.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Call me when we lose someone we were not already going to lose because we have a younger guy to fill the role.

Hartnell replaced knuble. Giroux replaced gags...simmonds will likely replace hartnell...and the circle of life continues.
You know what's better? NOT losing players due to cap idiocy. I'm sure Chicago would agree.

We weren't necessarily going to lose Gagne no matter what, either. If you haven't noticed his cap hit is currently less than his previous contract.

12-01-2011, 05:32 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
You know what's better? NOT losing players due to cap idiocy. I'm sure Chicago would agree.

We weren't necessarily going to lose Gagne no matter what, either. If you haven't noticed his cap hit is currently less than his previous contract.
Yeah, I'm sure Chicago would much rather have a team full of cap friendlier contracts than that weird silver thing they got a couple years ago.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah, I'm sure Chicago would much rather have a team full of cap friendlier contracts than that weird silver thing they got a couple years ago.
Yeah, I'm sure they'd prefer a team they could have kept instead of having to scatter it to the breeze because their GM gave out a bunch of incredibly stupid contracts.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 05:34 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
We don't know what Homers short term and long term plan is right now. Maybe he anticipated a claim on Walker hence doing so to remove one more roster spot for a possible trade/signing. We have no idea, maybe there is more to it, maybe it is **** up. Everyone jumps the gun on here it is really ridiculous.
There is no plan.

If he was anticipating a claim on walker, then he shouldn't have waived Nodl.

But there is no plan. At all. This has been proven time and time again.

These little tiny bone-headed moves create a butterfly effect that puts this team in a bigger hole.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 05:36 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure they'd prefer a team they could have kept instead of having to scatter it to the breeze because their GM gave out a bunch of incredibly stupid contracts.
More than a Cup? If that's true I guess I just have a different view of what the goal of this sport is (i.e. winning a Cup not winning a contract).

Old
12-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
More than a Cup? If that's true I guess I just have a different view of what the goal of this sport is (i.e. winning a Cup not winning a contract).
I'd rather construct a team that has multiple shots at winning a Cup instead of a one-time shot...because you're ****ed if your one shot fails.

I prefer Detroit's model to Chicago's. And then there's Homer's model, which seems to be "DO THINGS."

Sorry for expecting my team's GM to do a good job and build a dynasty, I guess.

Old
12-01-2011, 05:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I would argue that even winning a Cup does not make you a particularly stellar GM.

Anyone want Jim Rutherford running this team?

Old
12-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I would argue that even winning a Cup does not make you a particularly stellar GM.

Anyone want Jim Rutherford running this team?
Or Burke.

Old
12-01-2011, 05:42 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I'd rather construct a team that has multiple shots at winning a Cup instead of a one-time shot...because you're ****ed if your one shot fails.

I prefer Detroit's model to Chicago's. And then there's Homer's model, which seems to be "DO THINGS."

Sorry for expecting my team's GM to do a good job and build a dynasty, I guess.
I'd rather have a Cup then blow up the team then have a shot at the Cup every year. A shot is only a shot. I don't know too many Blackhawks fans or what the pulse of "Blackhawk Nation" is, but if they are upset that they won the Cup after 40 years but had to blow up the team and would rather have a better cap situation instead of that Cup but a better shot this year, last year, and next year, I would be a little confused by that.

Old
12-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
I'd rather have a Cup then blow up the team then have a shot at the Cup every year. A shot is only a shot. I don't know too many Blackhawks fans or what the pulse of "Blackhawk Nation" is, but if they are upset that they won the Cup after 40 years but had to blow up the team and would rather have a better cap situation instead of that Cup but a better shot this year, last year, and next year, I would be a little confused by that.
Here's the thing though: The Flyers haven't won a Cup. You know what really, really hasn't helped the Flyers? Paul Holmgren forever pissing away cap space and causing the Flyers to routinely lose perfectly serviceable players and assets. 850k of dead cap space would restrict the Flyers options at the trade deadline, not getting any sort of pick for Nodl doesn't help them at the deadline either, and neither helps the Flyers solve their impending crisis on defense.

Actually, all of that makes things more difficult.

So...if you're fine with the GM making things more difficult for the team just because he's the GM and therefore he must have some sort of divine omniscience, I guess that's your thing. It's not mine. Pissing away players for nothing in return and risking the loss of vital cap space is incredibly stupid and in the long run it's detrimental to the team.

The Flyers would have a better chance if Homer read the CBA and stopped doing mind-numbing, perfectly avoidable things.

Old
12-01-2011, 05:52 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
And the hawks aren't exactly the Florida marlins either. They still have a realistic chance at another cup in the near future.

Old
12-01-2011, 05:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

People confuse "trying every year" with "trying as hard as they can."

Old
12-01-2011, 06:03 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Here's the thing though: The Flyers haven't won a Cup. You know what really, really hasn't helped the Flyers? Paul Holmgren forever pissing away cap space and causing the Flyers to routinely lose perfectly serviceable players and assets. 850k of dead cap space would restrict the Flyers options at the trade deadline, not getting any sort of pick for Nodl doesn't help them at the deadline either, and neither helps the Flyers solve their impending crisis on defense.

Actually, all of that makes things more difficult.

So...if you're fine with the GM making things more difficult for the team just because he's the GM and therefore he must have some sort of divine omniscience, I guess that's your thing. It's not mine. Pissing away players for nothing in return and risking the loss of vital cap space is incredibly stupid and in the long run it's detrimental to the team.

The Flyers would have a better chance if Homer read the CBA and stopped doing mind-numbing, perfectly avoidable things.
Pissing away players, meaning waiving a redundant player in Nodl and POTENTIALLY losing Walker to waivers? Yeah, the first one is killing this team both this season and in the future. That 4-7th round pick is going to come back to haunt us. And re-calling Walker, who may or may not be claimed, is going to murder their chances as well. If he gets claimed and the Flyers have to send down Harry Z to make room, once again they are doomed. They won't be able to pick up another marginal player at the trade deadline! Obviously the potential to have $850k in dead space sucks, but I would be absolutely shocked if that $850k and not getting a 6th round pick or even keeping Nodl is what will make this team lose the Cup. This is all without considering the fact that Walker may not even get claimed.

You say he is making it more difficult, despite the fact that he puts together a competitive team year in and year out. Very few, if any, teams put together a genuine Cup favorite on a yearly basis. The Flyers, are in the conversation every year, which you have said already is what you want. To be a Cup competitor on a yearly basis. What more do you want? A dynasty? 12 straight Cups? It won't happen now or ever for any team.

Old
12-01-2011, 06:05 PM
SgtJoseph

The dirty little secret in pro sports is that it is REALLY not all about winning championships.......Its about winning and being competitive enough to keep folks filling the seats and being " hungry" for next season to begin after the off season break......The Flyer's do that quite well......Look at the Eagles ? Folks continue to fill the LINK even though the team and coach are " disasters " .When folks stop buying tickets and losing interest.....Things will change ? The CUBS suck, but they still fill Wrigley ? Its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 06:06 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
People confuse "trying every year" with "trying as hard as they can."
People also think they have any idea about the situation. None of us know really what happens on a daily basis. The media doesnt know...

Bug the phones. Then we'll get some answers.

Old
12-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

850k in cap space and that 6th round pick could be what keeps the Flyers from getting a Dman, for all you know.

But it's fine! Piss it all away! Who cares!

I'm done here for tonight. You're determined to bury your head in the sand. Have fun.

Old
12-01-2011, 06:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
People also think they have any idea about the situation. None of us know really what happens on a daily basis. The media doesnt know...

Bug the phones. Then will get some answers.
Holmgren said Randy Jones wouldn't get claimed on re-entry waivers. Guess what happened.

Old
12-01-2011, 06:10 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
850k in cap space and that 6th round pick could be what keeps the Flyers from getting a Dman, for all you know.

But it's fine! Piss it all away! Who cares!

I'm done here for tonight. You're determined to bury your head in the sand. Have fun.
Bury my head? You're complaining about something that hasn't happened! If he gets claimed, like I said earlier, I will be all over Homer. But that hasn't happened yet. And even if it does, I'm not going to throw the towel in for the season if he is.

Old
12-01-2011, 06:10 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
The dirty little secret in pro sports is that it is REALLY not all about winning championships.......Its about winning and being competitive enough to keep folks filling the seats and being " hungry" for next season to begin after the off season break......The Flyer's do that quite well......Look at the Eagles ? Folks continue to fill the LINK even though the team and coach are " disasters " .When folks stop buying tickets and losing interest.....Things will change ? The CUBS suck, but they still fill Wrigley ? Its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Every team wants to win the championship. It's far more revenue. It's just hard to do. There is no formula.

Being an eagle fan makes me appreciate how the flyers operate.

Old
12-01-2011, 06:15 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Holmgren said Randy Jones wouldn't get claimed on re-entry waivers. Guess what happened.
Relavent to what I said how?

If you know what's going to happen you should have passed that on to the team. You'd be a great risk management asset.

Homer has no control over his claiming or not. But he's got a better pulse than you or I.