HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Chris Botta: Ducks and Sabres Talking Trade

Old
12-01-2011, 07:20 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Not necessarily. It could just mean Regier went "Ryan's available? What the hell, let's see what Anaheim wants."
But TBN today wrote:

Quote:
But the rumor mill really started grinding when three Ducks officials, including General Manager Bob Murray, showed up Tuesday at First Niagara Center to watch the Sabres' 2-1 loss to the New York Islanders.
The Ducks do not play the Sabres or Islanders soon...now granted there are still other possibilities (watching his AHL team and then just stopping by for the closest NHL game, or looking to scout OHL teams and again Buffalo was the closest NHL game, etc.). But the GM being there means that if the rumors are true and Ducks scouts have been at previous Sabres games as well...

The only thing is that he was scouting a roster player (a potential Ryan deal or something else altogether) if he was here for that reason. Which makes you wonder...who might Regier have made available?

I suppose we'll never know and nothing will come out of this, though.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 07:23 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post

That is, unless he really is pursuing a change to the forward core. I'd like to believe he wouldn't stop trying after his first choice didn't work out.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Kruschiki

:

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Unfortunately. I'm just curious if Regier was after Ryan or if someone else was involved.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 07:34 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

There's plenty of video footage (to evaluate) on all of the regulars for the Sabres. And close to zero video footage of all the AHL call ups playing with NHL talent. It makes me think the Duck scouts were there to see with their own 2 eyes how an Amerk was doing playing with NHL talent and opposition. So as part of the proposal was an Amerk or two... Just a theory

ZZamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
But TBN today wrote:

The Ducks do not play the Sabres or Islanders soon...now granted there are still other possibilities (watching his AHL team and then just stopping by for the closest NHL game, or looking to scout OHL teams and again Buffalo was the closest NHL game, etc.). But the GM being there means that if the rumors are true and Ducks scouts have been at previous Sabres games as well...

The only thing is that he was scouting a roster player (a potential Ryan deal or something else altogether) if he was here for that reason. Which makes you wonder...who might Regier have made available?

He was in Syracuse scouting their own AHL team and attended the Boston/Toronto game last night. I don't think there was any particular reason why he was in Buffalo necessarily. Went to see his minor league guys and then caught a few NHL games in the process.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:41 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
If Buffalo and Anaheim are talking turkey, I would bet a fine ham sandwich that Lydman is involved in someway. Regier/Ruff never wanted him gone and we could use a versatile responsible puck moving d-man rather than one of the hand grenade lobbers we currently have. Something like....

To Buffalo: Lydman and Hagman
To Anaheim: Leopold and Boyes

Buffalo sheds some cap space and gets a different mix while neither team get's saddled with a long term contract.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:31 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
No, that's actually not my argument. Drew expressly stated that they had, in the past, wanted him to be a "power forward," but they wanted him to change course, drop weight, and be more of a skilled guy who has good size. And why does Drew have to be the power forward? Vanek has good size, he's not a power forward. Luke has good size, he's not a power forward.

I have no problem with Stafford's effort level. If you do, we disagree.

I recall him saying something very different before last season. He said then that he needed to get stronger and leaner to win more one on one battles and be able to use his speed and strength to bull to the net. Stafford worked harder than he ever had last offseason (2010) to get in shape to be stronger and leaner. He lost roughly 4lbs. He is hardly much lighter. For comparison's sake, Gosse chose to lose weight and get less bulky. He went from the 228lbs he entered the league at to 212lbs. Losing 16lbs is enough weight/bulk lost to impact your physical game. Getting stronger and leaner like Stafford did, losing roughly 4lbs in the process, is hardly going to have a negative impact on your ability to play a power game.

Even if he did say those things it makes no sense. First off, he is stronger and in better shape now and as such is better suited to play a power game. Second, he's never played a power game before last year. So I have no idea what power game he was given up.

To be clear we don't need Stafford to be a power forward in the classic sense to be effective. He showed last year that a touch of physical play (winning 1 on 1 battles/bulling to the net) to go with his high end skating and speed was more than enough to make him a very effective player.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-02-2011 at 12:39 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
If Buffalo and Anaheim are talking turkey, I would bet a fine ham sandwich that Lydman is involved in someway. Regier/Ruff never wanted him gone and we could use a versatile responsible puck moving d-man rather than one of the hand grenade lobbers we currently have. Something like....

Buffalo sheds some cap space and gets a different mix while neither team get's saddled with a long term contract.
I'd make that trade.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:46 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armond White View Post
I'd make that trade.
Hagman is 100% dead weight. Absolutely not. That's poison for a team with cap problems.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armond White View Post
I'd make that trade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
Hagman is 100% dead weight. Absolutely not. That's poison for a team with cap problems.
I agree with Harry on Hagman being an unnecessary and wasted target - I'd be happy with a simple Lydman for Leopold swap. As much as Leopold's been good on the offensive side, the Sabres have Ehrhoff, Myers, Sekera and Gragnani to ably fill that role. I think Leopold's weaker defensively and less physical than Lydman, two areas that the Sabres could use better support in to add to what Regehr presently brings. Both Leopold and Lydman have similar cap hits and term left on their contracts so it could be a safe and easy way for both teams to inject more of what each needs. With Beauchemin not being nearly as effective as he was during Anaheim's Cup run and Visnovsky injured at the moment, it would seem that Leopold's offensive abilities could be more in need there than in Buffalo. And Lydman's familiarity with the Sabres system and city would make it a seamless add for Buffalo.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote