HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Will Rangers pick at #29 In Draft???

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2005, 10:13 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I think that such a percentage just shows how much we rely on the usual #1 line. If anything was to happen to Jagr or one of the other cohorts.......big trouble.... ...However, IMO, all it would take is something that hurts our 3 main things : 1)Jagr 2) PK 3) Goaltending.
True, but that's how this team is built and it's working. Is there another team in the league (other than OTT) where you couldn't say the same thing about one aspect of their game and/or a couple of their players?

Old
11-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Guys... I know this is Hockey's Future and all, but if the New York Rangers are on the verge of making the playoffs for the first time since 1997 by the deadline, there isn't a hope in hell that the team will do anything other than go for it.

They may well resist the temptation to spend their picks and prospects to acquire productive veterans, but if they are in the playoffs or even just outside by the deadline, I don't think there's any way this team comes out and says it's still rebuilding, and opts to trade away talent for prospects and picks like last season.

Old
11-26-2005, 10:23 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
Guys... I know this is Hockey's Future and all, but if the New York Rangers are on the verge of making the playoffs for the first time since 1997 by the deadline, there isn't a hope in hell that the team will do anything other than go for it.

They may well resist the temptation to spend their picks and prospects to acquire productive veterans, but if they are in the playoffs or even just outside by the deadline, I don't think there's any way this team comes out and says it's still rebuilding, and opts to trade away talent for prospects and picks like last season.
They've found a lot of what's making THIS team work internally. I'd like to think they'll keep going that way, unless they can make the deal for either a)a guy who fits the rebuild profile or b)someone who doesn't cost many rebuilding assets.

Old
11-26-2005, 10:37 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan
They've found a lot of what's making THIS team work internally. I'd like to think they'll keep going that way, unless they can make the deal for either a)a guy who fits the rebuild profile or b)someone who doesn't cost many rebuilding assets.
Agreed. What I expect to see them do, if they are in playoff position, is go with the status quo for the playoffs, keep their prospects/picks, and end up with a pick around #17-#23 or so in June.

Old
11-27-2005, 01:26 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
From different ages in their twenties, yes. Do you really want to call Poti (28) a kid anymore? Nieminen (28)? Rozsival (27)? Ortmeyer (27)? Malik (29)?

These guys are what they are; they are not kids and they're not going to get any better. Their development is finished and you'd better not expect them to increase their contributions to the team next year. I was being kind in not including these vets' scoring in my figures; I thought I was giving you enough to make my point, but apparently not.

74% of this team's scoring is coming from players older than 26. These are not kids; these are not a product of the rebuilding. These are players who will never be more than they are, and the top 5 of whom will either be leaving this offseason or face declining skills. I'm sorry you don't like the fact, but the fact remains: the rebuilding of this team hasn't even begun. To say it is finished is so laughably inaccurate I can only wonder if you're watching Ranger games when you turn on your television.

I'm sorry you don't like this. I've told you on at least three different occasions, in both threads and PMs, that if you adopt attack and sarcasm as your means, you should expect poor treatment in return.

You will have courtesy when you offer courtesy. I don't know when that lesson will sink in, but please don't whine about this until you do learn the lesson.

Got it. More of the same.

Easily debatable but we won't bother. That agrees perfectly with my point. Without Jagr this team is nothing.

You may claim this all you like; the facts don't support you. You're arguing against reality when you make this assertion.

Ii most certainly is, and whether or not it is supported by what happens on the ice, you are more than entitled to that opinion.

Your opinion that the rebuilding is finished? No, they're just not.

But if that's so, why did the '95 Rangers utterly collapse? More recently, why have Ranger teams put together wonderful 10-game stretches and then collapsed? If "winning breeds winning," past Ranger teams should have used their annual November-December win streaks as launching points to playoff success.

Please don't offer empty platitudes in place of real argumentation.

1. Who said winning was a bad thing? Who said anything at all about winning? Why you can't stay on track?

2. "Very young?" I don't know. Here's what I can tell you: the average age in the NHL is now 28.4. The Rangers are not one of the two youngest teams (San Jose and Ottawa), but I'd be curious to know what their average age is.

One would think that if they were a "very young team" they would be in the youngest five. (One would actually think that if they were a VERY younfg team they would be in the youngest three.)

If anybody can find the team's current average age, I'd love to have it.

Saying it's a "very young team" also doesn't give any sense of where the responsibility is. If I stack 19-year-olds on my bottom two lines and give them 9:00 per game while giving 20:00+ and almost all special teams time to my 33-year-olds, I think it's an easy argument that while the average age of my team could be low, but my team isn't exactly young. The young guys are merely hangers-on.

Watch the Rangers than come back to me.

Until than look up the special teams minutes for Ward, Ortmeyer, Moore, and Betts Prucha and Hossa (although i think Hossa sucks).

Jesus man stop complaining like its 2003 and watch the 2005 Rangers. This team has two more waves of prospects yet to hit the NHL. They have a future top 6 forward on the roster right now in Prucha and possibly another one with Moore. You want to talk average age of the team while the young players are killing penalties in the first minute of overtime......

Either enjoy the team or don't but stop crying about the past. The Rangers are ready to take the next step as a hockey team.

Old
11-27-2005, 10:07 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
stop crying about the past.
Errr ... by pointing out that 74% of this team's scoring is coming from players 27-and-older, you DO realize, don't you, that I'm crying about the present?

By wondering where scoring is going to come from next year, you DO realize, don't you, that I'm crying about the future?

In questioning whether this team can afford to let assets walk out the door for nothing, you DO realize, don't you, that I'm crying about the future?

In short, what in God's name are you talking about?

Old
11-27-2005, 10:19 AM
True Blue

Quote:
All I picture is the scene in "Gangs of New York", where the Butcher is telling the cop to kill DeCaprio. Anyone familiar with it? Pretty funny.

Old
11-27-2005, 02:35 PM
DarthSather99

dedalus: Great posts in response to Son of Steinbrenner. He obviously is euphoric about the Rangers and is looking at them through rose colored glasses. He also shows signs of being young, naive and a hypocrite.

The Rangers may be in first but this does not guarantee a great future for a team who's top two lines is older players. As great as this year is, the expectations will be higher next year with alot of our players moving on to bigger contracts with other teams.

Old
11-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Errr ... by pointing out that 74% of this team's scoring is coming from players 27-and-older, you DO realize, don't you, that I'm crying about the present?

By wondering where scoring is going to come from next year, you DO realize, don't you, that I'm crying about the future?

In questioning whether this team can afford to let assets walk out the door for nothing, you DO realize, don't you, that I'm crying about the future?

By pointing that out it makes you a killjoy and somebody that doesn't realize that scoring from our veterans can be replaced.

By what you our resident scrooge will ask?

By a combo of kids players resigned and free agents you know like what all hockey teams are going to face this offseason in the new NHL.

Oh please you may be talking about the future but its all rooted on whats happened in the past.

I honestly am done with you for awhile. I can't deal with so called fans (yeah right) who can't face the fact that THIS team is very good. It's sad because come April you will be on the bandwagon.

Old
11-27-2005, 07:03 PM
xander

Quote:
By pointing that out it makes you a killjoy and somebody that doesn't realize that scoring from our veterans can be replaced.

By what you our resident scrooge will ask?

By a combo of kids players resigned and free agents you know like what all hockey teams are going to face this offseason in the new NHL.

Oh please you may be talking about the future but its all rooted on whats happened in the past.

I honestly am done with you for awhile. I can't deal with so called fans (yeah right) who can't face the fact that THIS team is very good. It's sad because come April you will be on the bandwagon.
You know name calling is akin to admitting that you have no argument.

Old
11-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
You know name calling is akin to admitting that you have no argument.
funny you don't say the same about dedalus. You know the guy that thinks the rangers success this season will hurt the 2010-2011 Rangers.

Old
11-28-2005, 03:52 PM
dedalus

Quote:
funny you don't say the same about dedalus. You know the guy that thinks the rangers success this season will hurt the 2010-2011 Rangers.
I'm sorry. The connection between those two things is WHAT?

Same old SoS.

Old
11-28-2005, 03:59 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Many teams are bunched up.7 points is separating 1-8 in the east and the west.Amazing

Old
11-28-2005, 04:55 PM
greasch#4

While I am willing to concede that our cuurent team is playing above their heads I am not about to say this team cannot win right now... yes even in the playoffs. The rules changes give Czech players an advantage. Czech players skate well but are not physical and they have been playing without a redline (when it comes to passing) for a while now. I think some of you are not considering the rules changes enough. It remains to be seen how much this new style of play will remain in tact once the playoffs start but hot goaltending is the key component in a playoff run and we can get that out of Weekes and Lundy (Weekes has done it before). This year was supposed to be a rebuilding year and I would not support giving up prospects or picks at the deadline but whats not to like about a team that can gain valuable playoff experience. I think that can be more important than securing a higher pick for a prospect that may never amount to anything. Will we win the Cup this year? Not likely, but making the playoffs while having one of the deepest prospect pools in the league is WAAAAY more then any of us could have asked for before the start of the season.

Closed Thread