HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Labarbera in net tonight (11/26) ?

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2005, 12:16 AM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Oopah
Does anybody know if now that LaBarbera is back, he and Garon will have a rotation ala Minnesota or is it back to LaBarbera being number #1?
Kinda a funny question to ask tonight. I'd wait and watch the newspapers. No one was ever named # 1 anyhow.

Old
11-27-2005, 12:28 AM
Amazing Oopah

lol, yeah. Garon did play today after all

well, I thought LaBarbera was number 1 until his 'personal reasons' sidelined him for a bit and Garon had to step in. Anyways, thanks for the quick replies.

Old
11-27-2005, 12:33 AM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Oopah
lol, yeah. Garon did play today after all

well, I thought LaBarbera was number 1 until his 'personal reasons' sidelined him for a bit and Garon had to step in. Anyways, thanks for the quick replies.
No problem. I don't think anything has ever been "official"

Old
11-27-2005, 12:47 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Would you have rather Garon went 1-5 in that stretch but had a sub 2 GAA and a .900+ SV%??? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
You obviously didn't get what I was saying.

Old
11-27-2005, 02:50 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22
Yeah that's right.

I could care less what a goaltender's wins and losses are, I care if the goaltender is playing good.

Don't get me wrong, in those 6 starts Garon played much better than he did earlier in the season, but he still played Mediocore with they exception of the Colorado game, where he was absolutely stellar.
That's where we disagree. I saw all of the games and he looked very solid out there during the 6 game span. Explain how his other 5 starts were "mediocore"? How many bad goals did he give up? Wasnt his save percentage good? Didn't he face above 30 shots in a couple of the games? Wasn't his GAA above mediocore.

Here are his numbers heading into the seven game stretch-3.24 GAA .875 %

Here are some numbers of his last 7 games played-Goals Against, Saves, and the last two show how much his GAA and Save % dropped/increased:

11-Nov-05 LA Chi 2 32 3.06 .887
13-Nov-05 LA CBJ 2 27 2.92 .893
15-Nov-05 LA Nas 3 23 2.94 .892
17-Nov-05 LA Van 4 32 3.05 .892
19-Nov-05 LA Col 3 34 3.05 .895
22-Nov-05 LA StL 3 23 3.04 .894
26-Nov-05 LA Chi 2 25 2.96 .896

Look at all the saves he had to make against Chicago, Vancouver, and Colorado (his only none mediocore game according to you). Plus, the other games were solid such as the Colombus game. He gave up 4 goals in the Vancouver game but he made 32 saves and the goals he gave up were not his fault IMO.

Numbers don't tell the whole story but they help explain his performance.

Last edited by Kingz4life: 11-27-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old
11-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
You obviously didn't get what I was saying.
You obviously are talking out of your ***.

Old
11-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Complaining Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
He gave up 4 goals in the Vancouver game but he made 36 saves
Don't know where you took your numbers, but they don't work. If he had made 36 saves, he would have had a .900 s%. He made 32 saves on 36 shots, which gives him a .889s% and not the .892s% you have... I know, details, but I was wondering...

Old
11-27-2005, 04:53 PM
Kingz4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer
Don't know where you took your numbers, but they don't work. If he had made 36 saves, he would have had a .900 s%. He made 32 saves on 36 shots, which gives him a .889s% and not the .892s% you have... I know, details, but I was wondering...
I just corrected it. I got it from TSN and instead of saves it was shots against. Now it shows how many saves he made. So your right he made 32 saves against Vancouver.

Old
11-27-2005, 06:02 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold
You obviously are talking out of your ***.
Chill out dude, what's your problem? I think someone has a crush on Garon.

Anyways...

All I was saying is that just because a goaltender is winning doesn't nessissarlly mean he is playing well, it means the team is playing well. Look at Checkmoneck. He had very good numbers all those years he was in Philly but he still sucked.

Old
11-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Chill out dude, what's your problem? I think someone has a crush on Garon.

Anyways...

All I was saying is that just because a goaltender is winning doesn't nessissarlly mean he is playing well, it means the team is playing well. Look at Checkmoneck. He had very good numbers all those years he was in Philly but he still sucked.
My problem is that you have such an obvious bias against Garon. Even though his numbers haven't been stellar (except for wins) during his stretch as the "#1 goalie," he still played very solid in those games. Did he let up a few goals that he should have stopped? Yes. However, in those games where he gave up three and four goals, he deserved much better. Let's look at the Vancouver game for an example. Garon gave up four goals. On the surface, you're thinking "Well, he gave up four goals, he's clearly not a #1 goalie." But then you go back and watch the replay and realize all four goals weren't exactly the most stoppable shots. First goal: Cross ice pass from Sedin to Sedin. Those are pretty hard to stop. Second goal: Deflection right in front on the pp (IIRC). Shots that change direction just feet in front of a goalie are pretty damn hard to stop. Third goal: Naslund walks through every King defender and his mother, then puts a nice move on Garon. If Garon had been a little more patient, he might have stopped it, but you've still got to give Naslund credit. Fourth goal: Nice one-handed tip by Naslund. The King defenseman (can't remember which one) was on Naslund but didn't tie up his stick, which, BTW, is probably the most important fundamental for a defenseman in front of his own net. I think you'd have a hard time finding a goalie that doesn't let up at least three goals put in that situation.

And, no, I don't have a crush on Garon (I know you were being sarcastic). I just feel he is unreasonably disrespected.

Old
11-27-2005, 06:43 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
That's where we disagree. I saw all of the games and he looked very solid out there during the 6 game span. Explain how his other 5 starts were "mediocore"? How many bad goals did he give up?
IMO he still looked a bit shakey, and inconfident in those 5 games. And in those 5 games the opposition had limited quality chances, yet Garon's numbers were still mediocore. I couldn't tell you how many bad goals he gave up, but I'm sure he averaged more than 1 per game. (Something like 1.5)
Quote:
Wasnt his save percentage good?
More like mediocre. .909 would be good for 15th in the league.
Quote:
Wasn't his GAA above mediocore?
No. 2.83 would be good for 19th in the league.

I agree that numbers don't always tell the whole story. But after watching Garon play he just doesn't look like a #1. If Garon plays like he did in those 5 starts for the rest of the season, this team will not compete for a Stanley Cup.

Old
11-28-2005, 12:10 AM
Kingz4life

Quote:
IMO he still looked a bit shakey, and inconfident in those 5 games. And in those 5 games the opposition had limited quality chances, yet Garon's numbers were still mediocore. I couldn't tell you how many bad goals he gave up, but I'm sure he averaged more than 1 per game. (Something like 1.5)
More like mediocre. .909 would be good for 15th in the league.
No. 2.83 would be good for 19th in the league.

I agree that numbers don't always tell the whole story. But after watching Garon play he just doesn't look like a #1. If Garon plays like he did in those 5 starts for the rest of the season, this team will not compete for a Stanley Cup.
I totally disagree about averaging over 1.5 bad goals a game. A couple of the games he had allowed 1 goal the whole game and in the last 5 minutes when the game was over he gave up some goals and like I said the Vancouver 4 goal game was not his fault. That is why the numbers dont tell the whole story. I remember tons of scoring chances he stopped throughout those games.

You don't give him credit but whatever...he'll do his thing. GO KINGS GO

Just curious, what kind of numbers do you expect from our goalies? 2.00 GAA with a .940 save %? It's kind of hard to that in the new NHl dont you think?

Old
11-28-2005, 01:27 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Just curious, what kind of numbers do you expect from our goalies? 2.00 GAA with a .940 save %? It's kind of hard to that in the new NHl dont you think?
I don't really care about numbers. They definatley don't tell the whole story. I only brought up stats because you did.

I'm curious though. Do you think the way Garon played during those 5 games in question is good enough to win us a cup?

Old
11-28-2005, 02:14 AM
Kingz4life

Quote:
I don't really care about numbers. They definatley don't tell the whole story. I only brought up stats because you did.

I'm curious though. Do you think the way Garon played during those 5 games in question is good enough to win us a cup?
I wasn't arguing whether or not he was playing playoff hockey or not. I was saying his performance lately has been above "mediocore". To win the cup he needs to play like he did in Colorado but nobody can play like that for the entire season.

Old
11-28-2005, 04:12 AM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Well my other board is saying LaB in net tonight against the wings so perhaps that will end this burning question.

http://www.letsgokings.com/bbs/showt...t=13601&page=2

Best link I have. It was said on the TV news.

Old
11-28-2005, 05:15 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:

Maybe not, but LaBarbera hasn't given a cup winning performance either. Both have their issues as goaltenders.

Garon
Pro: Very quick
Con: Rebound control; lets in soft goals

LaBarbera
Pro: Very big, covers a lot of net
Con: Cheats/anticipates; lets in soft goals as a result.

Old
11-28-2005, 05:43 AM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
Maybe not, but LaBarbera hasn't given a cup winning performance either. Both have their issues as goaltenders.

Garon

LaBarbera
Hey KP, I'm curious, I think Lab admitted this and I don't recall exactly, but how does he "cheat" and why are we up and this un=godly hour?

Old
11-28-2005, 12:16 PM
johnjm22

Quote:

Garon

LaBarbera
I agree for the most part. But I would also add that Garon gets out of position, by ovreacting. And Labarbera tends to be more patiant then Garon.

Old
11-28-2005, 12:28 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
I agree for the most part. But I would also add that Garon gets out of position, by ovreacting. And Labarbera tends to be more patiant then Garon.

a number of arguments are made about Garon being out of position. what i find funny is, that a number of times (particularly during the Blackhawks game) i've heard the "THUNK" sound. that "THUNK" sound comes when a netminder is in the right position, and takes the shot squarely.

Old
11-28-2005, 02:53 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney
Hey KP, I'm curious, I think Lab admitted this and I don't recall exactly, but how does he "cheat" and why are we up and this un=godly hour?
Well, I was up at that ungodly hour taking a break from doing schoolwork

As to why I think LaBarbera "cheats"... he tends to move in anticipation of a play he thinks will develop. He's more proactive than reactive. Usually it's not a problem, but sometimes he'll lean away from the post too early... or he'll lean as if he's anticipating a pass.

Old
11-28-2005, 07:01 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
Well, I was up at that ungodly hour taking a break from doing schoolwork

As to why I think LaBarbera "cheats"... he tends to move in anticipation of a play he thinks will develop. He's more proactive than reactive. Usually it's not a problem, but sometimes he'll lean away from the post too early... or he'll lean as if he's anticipating a pass.
Ahh, thanks! Good luck with with school!

Old
11-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
11-Nov-05 LA Chi 2 32 3.06 .887
13-Nov-05 LA CBJ 2 27 2.92 .893
15-Nov-05 LA Nas 3 23 2.94 .892
17-Nov-05 LA Van 4 32 3.05 .892
19-Nov-05 LA Col 3 34 3.05 .895
22-Nov-05 LA StL 3 23 3.04 .894
26-Nov-05 LA Chi 2 25 2.96 .896
And these are the numbers that are gonna be the norm in the new NHL from alot of goalie's. Gone are the 1.70 GAA and .940 SV% over an extended period of time, meaning more games played. I think alot of people still have the 'old NHL' thinking when it comes to goalie's. 2, 3, or 4 goal leads aren't safe anymore in the NHL, and when goalie's give up those 2, 3, or 4 goals to a team and let them come back and tie it up or take the lead, they are the ones that are looked at to blame, not the whole 5 man unit on the ice.
Garon has played well, and should be the one getting the starts until he has a bad game or loses. Go with the hot hand.

Closed Thread