HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Karlsson trade could bring a stable of talent

Old
12-01-2011, 09:33 PM
ULoveMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch89 View Post
Haven't we had enough of the overrated-underproducing Russians?
Ya...4 time 50 goal scorer is overrated.

ULoveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Spezz101

Put it this way, when the sens were in peg to play the jets the guy sitting beside me would yell about how terrible every sens player that touched the puck was, until karlsson had it and all he would talk about is how amazing he was

Spezz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezz101 View Post
Put it this way, when the sens were in peg to play the jets the guy sitting beside me would yell about how terrible every sens player that touched the puck was, until karlsson had it and all he would talk about is how amazing he was
His ability sticks out like a sore thumb.

First time I watched him was an eye opener.

Minister of Offence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:26 AM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

It would never happen, but what if the Penguins offered Malkin for him straight up? Would anyone consider it?

Rabble! RABBLE RABBLE!

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Manny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
It would never happen, but what if the Penguins offered Malkin for him straight up? Would anyone consider it?

Rabble! RABBLE RABBLE!
Yes.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:33 AM
Minister of Offence

Having Malkin is kinda like getting Jagr as he enters his prime, except Malkin is the all important center.

Would do Malkin, would not do Ovechkin.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:44 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Trading Karlsson is one of the most ludicrous things I've ever heard, even trading Rundblad seems pretty ludicrous to me. I don't understand why this thread wasn't stopped and locked a long time ago. There is no debate:

Karlsson
Cowen
Rundblad

off limits... you build a team around a defensive core like that.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:47 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
Trading Karlsson is one of the most ludicrous things I've ever heard, even trading Rundblad seems pretty ludicrous to me. I don't understand why this thread wasn't stopped and locked a long time ago. There is no debate:

Karlsson
Cowen
Rundblad

off limits... you build a team around a defensive core like that.
You plan parades with a defense group like that...?

Old
12-02-2011, 12:55 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeno View Post
Gretzky was traded because Pocklington ran into finacial trouble because of his involvement in the meat packing industry.I was in Edmonton in those days he was public enemy no. one.Took him a few years but he publically admitted that.That was the beginning of his collapse finacially.But NONONO in the middle of a rebuild that is going good ya cant trade your no. one young guy.
He was also traded by LA and by St. Louis...

Point is any player can be traded if circumstances are right.
Karlsson would be traded if all of the following conditions are met:
1. Our other D develop extremely well to the point where Cowen/Rundblad are capable of forming our #1 pairing, with Wiercioch/Borocop/whomever forming a great 2nd pairing, thus making Karlsson expendable.
2. We lack scoring up front, or stable goaltending, to the extent that we cannot advance far in the playoffs if that hole is not filled.
3. A team that could provide the solution to #2 also requires a player of Karlsson's ilk, but is not directly competing for the Cup (ie a non-playoff team or a dark horse in the West).
4. All other solutions (shopping picks, prospects, other players, looking at FA if early in the year/in the offseason) have been considered and proven fruitless.

12-02-2011, 12:59 AM
Manny*

I can't help but think:

Karlsson = Keith
Cowen = Seabrook
Rundblad = Campbell
Borowiecki = Hjarmalsson

I don't think the comparison is that far off.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
I can't help but think:

Karlsson = Keith
Cowen = Seabrook
Rundblad = Campbell
Borowiecki = Hjarmalsson

I don't think the comparison is that far off.
Don't know about Boro, but Cowen doesn't fit the description....although he just might play at the same level as Seabrook.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:25 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
You plan parades with a defense group like that...?

all sarcasm aside, I would definitely plan for the future with these 3 defenders.

Karlsson is a beast on offense who is starting to show he can shut things down in the offensive zone too, by simple plays and stripping the opposition of the puck to move it up ice.

Cowen is just a beast, who is physically imposing, intelligent and has the possibility of creating some offense down the road.

Rundblad can hit with the best of them, play the puck almost as well as Karlsson and has an accurate shot from the point. Give Rundblad more time to learn the NHL and gain a little weight... HOLY JEBUS.

Rundblad is way better than Campbell, that is the worst comparison I've ever seen.

Would I plan a Stanley Cup parade? Not this season, but they could certainly lock one down in the future.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

Would I plan a Stanley Cup parade? Not this season, but they could certainly lock one down in the future.
Cowen could end up being a difference maker...the big shutdown defensive cloud can be such a key in Cup runs. I really do think he's going to gain a lot of that coordination that he's missing now.

He's starting to really get a lot of confidence with the puck, and going around people because his reach allows him to.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:52 AM
Manny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Don't know about Boro, but Cowen doesn't fit the description....although he just might play at the same level as Seabrook.
It's not so much similarity between the players, but rather an idea of just how solid our defence could be in a few years if everything goes well. Chicago spent 19.5 million on those four guys last season, with Campbell making more than he's worth. With all the discussion about how much we're willing to spend on our young defencemen when contract negotiations begin, it's nice to have an idea of what sort of impact a well-built foundation on defence can have. Chicago did win a cup with those four on their blueline.

Quote:
Rundblad is way better than Campbell, that is the worst comparison I've ever seen.
Campbell is two points behind Karlsson for the lead in points for defencemen. He has three 40+ point seasons and one 52 point season. I like Rundblad a lot, but let's not forget that Campbell is a great defenceman and Rundblad has a long way to go before he's "way better" than him.

Old
12-02-2011, 03:15 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

the roll Campbell played in Chicago is much smaller than the roll that Rundblad will play here.

Old
12-02-2011, 03:55 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Well, if any of you are ever wondering why a lot of people hate this board and Ottawa fans in general, just re-read the thread.

There are a lot of smug know it all's in here.

If Murray didn't entertain offers for Karlsson, should he get any, then he is not doing his job. His job is to build this team into a winner. If he gets a Milburyesque offer for Karlsson, then he HAS to consider it.

Personally, I think Karlsson is our best player by far. I would never want to see him traded, but it's a possibility. Speculating over what he is worth, or what you could get back is the reason that boards like this exist.

Maybe the OP is a troll, maybe he is just a new poster who has received a less than warm welcome. In any case, there was nothing offensive or out of line about this thread until a bunch of yahoos started barking.

And for those that have me on ignore...blow me.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:37 AM
OgieO

Young franchise dmen are probably the most highly desired commodity. Maybe only below franchise C's. If you get one, you don't let them go unless the package is insane. But no team would be able to give up enough justify Ottawa moving him.

Murray would be looking for a top player and a prospect with franchise potential. As an example - Carter and Johansen from Columbus. Maybe that's not even enough...

You just don't trade stud dman than can score like Karlsson. Unless, the offer is bananas.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Prajna

Great idea! While we are at it, we could also trade Spezza, Michalek, Zibanejad, and Lehner.
Imagine all the great pics and prospects we could get.
Then, when those picks and prospects prove to be good NHLers, we can trade them for more pics and prospects and so on, and so on.......

Prajna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:27 AM
The Fuhr*

I'd consider trading him for another impact center who is young and we could control for years to come

RNH
Duchene
Benn
Tavares

It's a real short list

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:46 AM
armani
Guy Likes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
I'd consider trading him for another impact center who is young and we could control for years to come

RNH
Duchene
Benn
Tavares

It's a real short list
I won't Fuhrsie. With Spezza at helm, the I don't see the need to trade the number 1 defenceman (and the very near future face of the franchise) for a 2C (albeit elite).

In addition, I think Karlsson has a higher ceiling than any of the players you mentioned, including RNH (who is super awesome). Like the others on your list, he is only going to get better.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:47 AM
DG

Maybe the Penguins should trade Crosby... it could bring in a stable of talent.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:06 AM
D0C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prajna View Post
Great idea! While we are at it, we could also trade Spezza, Michalek, Zibanejad, and Lehner.
Imagine all the great pics and prospects we could get.
Then, when those picks and prospects prove to be good NHLers, we can trade them for more pics and prospects and so on, and so on.......
Win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Maybe the Penguins should trade Crosby... it could bring in a stable of talent.
Double win!

D0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Healfezza

Let me take a stab at his value:

to Anaheim:

Erik Karlsson

to Ottawa:

Bobby Ryan
Cam Fowler

No team is going to trade their young premier centerman for Karlsson so taking Ryan off Anaheim's hands (who is rumoured to be available) to replace Alfredsson going forward and stocking the back end with Fowler to replace Karlsson looks like a more realistic trade situation. As much as I love Karlsson though this is probably still an overpayment from Anaheims side, but thats what it would take (an overpayment).

Healfezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Minister of Offence

Karlsson's worth more than Fowler but not that much more, not even close.

Old
12-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
I won't Fuhrsie. With Spezza at helm, the I don't see the need to trade the number 1 defenceman (and the very near future face of the franchise) for a 2C (albeit elite).

In addition, I think Karlsson has a higher ceiling than any of the players you mentioned, including RNH (who is super awesome). Like the others on your list, he is only going to get better.
You can't consider Duchene, Tavares, RNH a #2 C....it would be having 2 #1s which is a recipe for success. Hell, those guys may all have the ability to push Spezza down the latter.

I'd say RNH's upside is higher or as high as Karlsson and I side with the center.