HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames claim Blake Comeau

Old
11-26-2011, 03:05 AM
Nightfx

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze23 View Post
They could? The way they're playing, doesn't look like they're icing more than 1 NHL line.
and Iggy isn't even on that line.

Nightfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 03:26 AM
Man Bear Pig

vCash: 500
Very little risk and plenty of reward. Best case scenario he returns back to being a decent scorer with 30 goal upside, worst case scenario he's bad and continues doing nothing. They basically swapped Hagman for Comeau and and with Blake you know he's still on 25 so the upside is their. I think this was way too pre-mature for Snow to give him away.

Man Bear Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 06:14 AM
JuniorNelson

Snow got Grabner for nothing. He is just paying it forward.

I do not think a NYI castoff will help anyone, but I know you have to try stuff when you are in Feaster's position. This seems like a step in a new direction, at least.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:49 PM
caley

According to Elliotte Friedman, several teams put in claims for Comeau, including Nashville and Minnesota.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:51 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
According to Elliotte Friedman, several teams put in claims for Comeau, including Nashville and Minnesota.
And I remember reading somewhere the Canadiens did too. They didn't know what they're getting. I was a Comeau fan, but even I have to admit that this guy is so hot and cold that it's a bad thing. He can't do anything in a slump.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Medium Rare*

Comeau is on the board with a goal and an assist tonight

the goal was soft but hopefully it gets him on a roll

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:35 PM
pattyb91

Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
Comeau is on the board with a goal and an assist tonight

the goal was soft but hopefully it gets him on a roll
If this gets Comeau going, he will be having nights like this and better every game for the next month or so...unfortunately once that ends, he will go 20 games without a point and be useless in all 3 zones.

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyb91 View Post
If this gets Comeau going, he will be having nights like this and better every game for the next month or so...unfortunately once that ends, he will go 20 games without a point and be useless in all 3 zones.
we will see. remmeber when peverly was waived because of how bad he was? sometimes being given away can serve as a wake up call for a player, or a new system could simply be a fit.

Old
12-01-2011, 11:28 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
we will see. remmeber when peverly was waived because of how bad he was? sometimes being given away can serve as a wake up call for a player, or a new system could simply be a fit.
I thought Peverley was waived because of a numbers game. Regardless, Comeau isn't going to have an impact like Peverley, who is a hard working player who can still be effective when he's not scoring. Comeau can't do that, he will be invisible.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I thought Peverley was waived because of a numbers game. Regardless, Comeau isn't going to have an impact like Peverley, who is a hard working player who can still be effective when he's not scoring. Comeau can't do that, he will be invisible.
funny thing is he has been hard working and effective as a Flame in every game. Players can change when there is a wake up call, its unfair to write off a 25 year old and say he incapable of changing their game and growing

if that was the case Moulson wouldn't be an NHLer.

its not very smart to state thing you really don't know as if they are fact because the truth is we never know what changes in players to make some suddenly effective.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
funny thing is he has been hard working and effective as a Flame in every game. Players can change when there is a wake up call, its unfair to write off a 25 year old and say he incapable of changing their game and growing

its not very smart to state thing you really don't know as if they are fact because the truth is we never know what changes in players to make some suddenly effective.
To be fair, he has seen him play a lot more than us most likely. I don't doubt that was true on the Island. I sometimes wonder what kind of an organization a clown like Wang is capable of putting together though. Must be draining to play there.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:35 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:

Oh trust me, when he's on, this kid is on. But when he's off, he's wayyyyy off.

Old
12-02-2011, 08:02 AM
startainfection

comeua will work out fine for the flames, he was never as bad as he was the beginning of this season

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:02 AM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
To be fair, he has seen him play a lot more than us most likely. I don't doubt that was true on the Island. I sometimes wonder what kind of an organization a clown like Wang is capable of putting together though. Must be draining to play there.
You can say the same about Calgary and the mess going on there. As well of some agents of players speaking publicly about that train wreck.

I have seen Blake play 2 games so far for the Flames. He has a little more jump right now but he hasn't produced. He is getting paid decent and not bringing much to the table.

As an Isles fan I liked Comeau but he was benched by Nolan, Gordon and Caps. So there are consistency issues with him and he does have a good hockey sense.

I do wish the Isles were able to package him in a deal but Wang probably wanted to save some cash like always.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:42 AM
flamesfan5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
You can say the same about Calgary and the mess going on there. As well of some agents of players speaking publicly about that train wreck.
I have seen Blake play 2 games so far for the Flames. He has a little more jump right now but he hasn't produced. He is getting paid decent and not bringing much to the table.

As an Isles fan I liked Comeau but he was benched by Nolan, Gordon and Caps. So there are consistency issues with him and he does have a good hockey sense.

I do wish the Isles were able to package him in a deal but Wang probably wanted to save some cash like always.
How long has your rebuild been? I cant remember the last time the Isles were a competitive team? I would rather have the "train wreck" then have to watch the isles play night after night

flamesfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Tont

vCash: 503
Quote:

Haha, no, you really can't. The Flames have one of the most well respected ownership groups in the league. That makes a huge difference in a rebuild, as evidenced by the Islanders' two decade long one.

Tont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Renbarg

Quote:

This is key, he has eventually pissed off every coach he has had at the NHL level.

I think Comeau is a decent 3rd liner who will pop in 15-20 goals a year. But he is annoying as hell and really don't think he has the greatest hockey sense. My gut says is that he becomes a journeyman, playing just well enough to get a new contract but poorly enough to not be wanted by the team he currently is playing for.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:53 AM
madmike77

Let's be honest - neither organization has much to be proud of right now.

And for those defending the Flames, there's only one year - ONE - in the last 21 years that they have won a playoff series and that would be 2004. That's an incredible stat and one that no organization should be proud of.

I'm a Flames fan, but I'm not going to defend the management - it's been brutal since the early 90s. The fans deserve better. I think they may finally be on the right track, but given the organization's woeful history of mis-steps I'm going to reserve judgement.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotamus View Post
Haha, no, you really can't. The Flames have one of the most well respected ownership groups in the league. That makes a huge difference in a rebuild, as evidenced by the Islanders' two decade long one.
Wang has been an owner since 2000 (11 years). In that time the Islanders have made the playoffs 4 times. Not great but not putrid. In comparison Calgary has gotten in 5 times.

The true rebuild is only in its 4th or 5th season (depending on where you time it from).

Old
12-02-2011, 09:04 AM
berto14

Quote:
Calgary's bad but the Islanders are a whole different level of bad. The Islanders have made the playoffs exactly once since the lockout and haven't finished better than 26th in the last 4 seasons (and it doesn't look like they'll do any better this season). Although Calgary's been bad the last 2 seasons, they still managed to put up 90+ points. Hardly anything to brag about, I know, but it at least would have put them in the playoffs in the East.

And aside from Winter, who are the other agents bashing the Flames?

Quote:
Goal and an assist last night. Admittedly, the goal was a pretty soft one, but production is production. At the end of the day, this is pretty much a zero-risk move for the Flames. Great move if it works out and no harm done if it doesn't.

berto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:

One agent. Who has a axe to grind because he didn't get the job as GM. Last I checked he has two clients who play for the Flames, so he didn't think that badly of the Flames before he was rejected as GM. Calgary may be close to as bad on the ice as the Isles, but are a million times stronger as an organization. It's why two of our long term owners are in the HHOF in the builders category. Think Wang will ever be there?

Old
12-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:

Nolan coached him as a rookie. The vast majority on non-superstar rookies spend time in the press box. I agree Comeau had consistency issues. So did/does Moulson, Tavares, Okposo, Grabner and Niederreiter. Should they be waived?

Old
12-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Nolan coached him as a rookie. The vast majority on non-superstar rookies spend time in the press box. I agree Comeau had consistency issues. So did/does Moulson, Tavares, Okposo, Grabner and Niederreiter. Should they be waived?
But this happens year in and year out for Comeau for ridiculous stretches of time. This is his 6th pro year already, those stretches should decrease, not increase.

Moulson, Tavares, Okposo (save for the beginning of this year), and Grabner all don't score for stretches at a time but they don't become totally useless like Comeau does (maybe Moulson to some extent).

I think there are one reason he was waived:
1) Snow needed to shake something up and Comeau was the most expendable piece.

Maybe there was a team offering a 5th or something similar for Comeau. We'll never really know.

Old
12-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Maybe there was a team offering a 5th or something similar for Comeau. We'll never really know.
I absolutley think teams were willing to give something for Comeau. The Isles simply didn't want to take back any salary, so we got him for freeskies.

He's been solid so far. Another dumb winger to add to our collection of dumb wingers. But he has been hitting everything in sight and has 4 points in two games. So far, so good.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:25 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
I absolutley think teams were willing to give something for Comeau. The Isles simply didn't want to take back any salary, so we got him for freeskies.

He's been solid so far. Another dumb winger to add to our collection of dumb wingers. But he has been hitting everything in sight and has 4 points in two games. So far, so good.
2 points in 4 games. But that's still great production considering it's the Flames.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote