HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/01/11 | Senators vs Stars | Benn There, Done That | 8:30p.m. SNET-OTT, TVA

Old
12-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Romans12_12

vCash: 500
Phillips sucks.

There is no way you can blame Karlsson on that goal, Phillips had two opportunities prior and lost both battles easily. I was watching that play thinking "Holy **** Phillips you are going to cost us a goal" and sure enough he delivered.

This guy is no longer an effective top 4. Glad we got a lot of youth maturing to replace him next year.

Romans12_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:42 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans12_12 View Post
Phillips sucks.

There is no way you can blame Karlsson on that goal, Phillips had two opportunities prior and lost both battles easily. I was watching that play thinking "Holy **** Phillips you are going to cost us a goal" and sure enough he delivered.

This guy is no longer an effective top 4. Glad we got a lot of youth maturing to replace him next year.
Uh Karlsson's check walked out away from him and infront of the net.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Philadelphia Collins

Filly's best game of the year, lots of chances, thought for sure he was going to cash on that wrap-around.

Hope he keeps it up, him and Butler look leagues better than they did at the start of the year

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:54 AM
Manny*

Karlsson and Phillips are equally to blame for that goal.

Karlsson was exhausted and couldn't keep up with his guy behind the net. Phillips was on his knees and not even in the shooting lane. I don't know what he was thinking.

Both had off games.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:01 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Collins View Post
Filly's best game of the year, lots of chances, thought for sure he was going to cash on that wrap-around.

Hope he keeps it up, him and Butler look leagues better than they did at the start of the year
Butler and Filatov do not belong to the fourth line but TOP 6. What with this? IMO Butler trade where he would get more chances.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:02 AM
Caje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans12_12 View Post
Phillips sucks.

Last game everyone was praising Phillips. Hilarious how fast opinions change on these boards.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:56 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Agree with Filatov on the 1st line with Spez and Greening, its not working , switch him with Michalek please.
Amusing... it has been two games for Filatov on the Spezza line. The entire team just looked zonked tonight. Greening looked like he was out to lunch on a lot of plays. Greening needs to do what he does best and clear space for Spezza and Filatov.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:12 AM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

Filly was sooooo close on the wrap around.... AHHHH

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:15 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caje View Post
Last game everyone was praising Phillips. Hilarious how fast opinions change on these boards.
Play by play opinions, literally, it's crazy.

Old
12-02-2011, 02:46 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

I don't mind Greening - Spezza - Filatov. Filatov was the hardest working of the three tonight, Spezza's gotta bring a better effort. Can't count how many times he tried a cross-ice pass only to throw it into the skates or onto the stick of a Stars player.

12-02-2011, 03:04 AM
Romans12_12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caje View Post
I haven't praised Phillips since Volchenkov left. Go figure.

Romans12_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I don't mind Greening - Spezza - Filatov. Filatov was the hardest working of the three tonight, Spezza's gotta bring a better effort. Can't count how many times he tried a cross-ice pass only to throw it into the skates or onto the stick of a Stars player.
you can't count to 20?

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:28 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

12-02-2011, 08:35 AM
HappyGilmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBad View Post
Couldn't catch the game tonight, could anyone sum it up for me so that I don't have to flip through the GDT?
Rondra had an amazing goal.

HappyGilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:53 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Ottawa played a pretty good game.

For the most part, we controlled the play, though Dallas had its moments.

I actually found it a rather entertaining affair. Ottawa played with tempo on the road and if you take away Alfredsson's crossbar and Michalek hitting Raycroft's knob of the stick, we win this one and everyone is happy.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Sure hope Kuba comes back soon.
lol, how ironic this is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Has happened a couple times lately.
Well, Daug has to realize that if he can't be reliable defensively, there's no reason to have in the NHL.

Quote:
Why the **** is Lee paired with Rundblad, 2 players that have been scratched all season, put them with a vet dman jesus.
Well, I was really wondering the same thing, makes no sense late in the game... Rookie coach mistakes.

Rookie mistake by Rundblad who got lured by Ribeiro. Condra could have tried harder on that play too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Don't think he did anything wrong. Lee's check scored.

Sometimes the other team scores with no glaring mistake.
O'Really?

Sounds fun but the blaming game on this board makes you wonder if it's possible at times...

That being said, on that particular play, Condra, Rundblad and Lee didn't react properly, although Lee was busy with another player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD19 View Post
Anderson has been good but the fact is he once again let a garbage goal in ! that shot was weak man I would've stopped it with my heaton Martin Brodeur road hockey gear! jesus **** he was already down
Unfortunately I have to agree, Anderson needed to make that save. He had a good game (from what I have seen) but on that play he should have challenged the shot a bit and move a bit towards his left post, Phillips was covering most of the other side

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:52 AM
TheWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Ottawa played a pretty good game.

For the most part, we controlled the play, though Dallas had its moments.

I actually found it a rather entertaining affair. Ottawa played with tempo on the road and if you take away Alfredsson's crossbar and Michalek hitting Raycroft's knob of the stick, we win this one and everyone is happy.
My thoughts exactly. Was worried I was crazy based on all the moaning going on in this thread.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:09 AM
trobby

Quote:
Yep a 30 second highlight video versus multiple reviews of people of who actually watched all 60 minutes of it.
I know it's hard for a lot of people on the HFBoards to zero in on one play, but that's what I'm talking about. NOT the whole game.

I'm not saying Filatov is responsible for all the wars around the world, or childhood obesity, I'm simply saying on THAT SHIFT that resulted in the GGW, he looked GASSED, and LOST.

The kid puts in effort, but he looks too lacking in hockey intelligence...

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:18 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Also, I think this may have been Cowen's best game as an Ottawa Senator thus far. Really bounced back from that last performance of his. He was initiating a lot of play, hitting guys, skating the puck out with speed, even going to the net on an odd-man rush. He also flattened a Star at one point and made him leave the ice.

Spezza had a bit of an off-game. It was good in that he had the puck a lot, but he was certainly going for a lot of low percentage plays. He's got to remember that he's the veteran and if he has the puck, he shoots. The youngsters can play hot potato with the puck, but he can't. He's a leader on the team which means being a little selfish sometimes.

I didn't think Karlsson was all that bad. He had one rush where he leapt around a guy and kept going at full speed. I'm sure Dallas fans in the audience know who he is now. He's electrifying player.

Michalek was probably Ottawa's best forward by a significant margin.

Last edited by NyQuil: 12-02-2011 at 10:23 AM.
NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Xspyrit

Reading this thread, you'd have to wonder if Sens fans have any clue of what a freaking rebuild is...

Oh and I don't know about the 1st two periods but the 3rd was entertaining for me.

Concerning the line-up, I want to see :

Michalek-Spezza-Butler
Filatov-Foligno-Alfredsson
Greening-Smith-Condra
Daugavins-Winchester-Neil
Konopka

This line-up makes the most sense and the best possible results would come out of it IMO. I don't want to see Greening in the top-6 anymore, he lacks skill and brings down the playmaking on his line. 3rd line is where he belongs.

And we'll see when Regin returns, he replaces Butler, Foligno or Filatov in the top-6. And where the heck is Chris Neil btw? We need him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
To be clear, I'm not blaming Anderson for the loss.

Ottawa didn't get enough shots on a goalie that was giving up TONS of juicy rebounds. Maybe the travel, maybe the weak crowd, they just didn't have their usual jump tonight. I don't think that Dallas was the better team though. It was a pretty even and incredibly boring game. Ottawa had the better effort in the first and third but Dallas had some strong shifts throughout the game and the lack of specal teams play made the difference....
Okay? I was only able to catch the 3rd but shots were 35-32 for the Sens. And by the highlights, it seems the Sens had at least a dozen scoring chances... Raycroft was good, Anderson as well (except on the 3rd goal) and the Stars were clutch, in the same mold as the Sens have been doing to other teams all season.

Concerning Anderson, I agree somewhat but not as extremely. The Sens have basically 3 rookies on the back-end (Karlsson plays like a rookie defensively at times). Those games were Karlsson isn't in beast mode, he tends to make rookie mistakes. Apparently, he had a very long shift before Dallas 3rd goal. It can't happen at this level, I'm sure the coaching staff will check about this with Karlsson.

Anderson can do much better but it's not like he plays behind the best defense (defensively) in the league. He can't do much for most of the goals he gets scored on, however he has to cut down the bad goals and make more key saves overall.

The finally, we talk a lot about Anderson's stats but let's remember that the first 5-6 games were awful for all the team and Andy's number still suffer from it. What has been his number since? I'm sure not stellar but probably more on par with the rest of the league... It will take most of the season for those first few games to have less impact on his numbers.

I actually just did the numbers for his last 17 games :

10 W 4 L 1 OTL .905 SV% 3,03 GAA

Conclusion :

His first 5 games of the season still hurt his numbers badly. It will take much more time for those numbers to dilute. I'm confident that Anderson will have a huge stretch where he is hot, maybe he is a 2nd half goalie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
Oh dear lord this.

Alex Auld is not an NHL caliber goaltender at this point.
lol this is based on? He has been a reliable back-up most of his career.

Quote:
He can step in occasionally in relief and have the occasional decent game, but so can anyone who plays in the AHL. Auld is a ****** backup at best, and were it not for the fact some guys get labelled as "NHL backup" or "AHL starter" he would be playing in either the minors or Europe right now.
Well, that's the point and that's why Auld was signed for, to be a back-up for THIS season. He has done a very good job in Ottawa 3 years ago (0.911 SV%) so why not?

You seem to have a fixation with goaltending. Sure, the Sens don't have the best goaltending in the NHL, and that's also because it only cost 4M$ per season for both goalies. Best goalies are oftenly those who were drafted and developped internally (Lundqvist, Rinne, Price, Brodeur, Fleury, Howard, Thomas, Backstrom, Ward, Kipprusoff, Quick, Schneider...)

Lehner is very young, we are taking our time with him (hence why both Anderson and Auld have been signed) and are extremly cautious, he is a big part of the Sens future. I'm happy we don't rely on him on a rebuilding season... Too much pressure for a young man at that position. I'd rather have him up here when the line-up has more experience and plays a better defensive game.

Last edited by Xspyrit: 12-02-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
i aint even mad.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:03 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Well, Daug has to realize that if he can't be reliable defensively, there's no reason to have in the NHL.
Yeah, he's only been one of their most consistent point producers over the last 7-8 games (not to mention the more than half dozen other great opportunities he set up that weren't realized), but if he can't clear a few bouncy pucks on bad ice, he's of no use in the NHL.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:07 PM
source

Konopka sucks. Guy can't take a pass to save his life.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Yeah, he's only been one of their most consistent point producers over the last 7-8 games (not to mention the more than half dozen other great opportunities he set up that weren't realized), but if he can't clear a few bouncy pucks on bad ice, he's of no use in the NHL.
Our kill has also been a night and day improvement since he came in.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:46 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Everyone sucks.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote