HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

"Finley grateful for chance to make NHL debut"

Old
12-02-2011, 09:52 AM
punkr0x

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
Finely has leapfrogged everyone in Rochester, which is quite remarkable. He immediately stood out to me in the very beginning of the season and I am looking forward to watching his Sabres debut while at the Amerks game tonight
Do you think he would be getting this opportunity if not for the injuries to Brennan, Schiestel earlier in the year, plus all the call ups, putting him in this position? In other words is he good enough to live up to the hype or is he just lucky? I guess we'll see tonight.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:54 AM
HiddenInLight

I'm hoping yes.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:29 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Great story indeed, wish him all the best in his debut.

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Hopefully having an abundance of big bodies will open up the ice for our more diminutive players. Ennis has had an especially tough time this year, it seems like every opponent specifically targets him to slow him down.

And god help the next player to run a Buffalo goalie. Actions will finally have consequences.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:50 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
His arrest at UND probably isn't the best endorsement. He seems to have grown up a lot. Just keep him away from throwing any tables into the street....

Yep. Washington didn't tender him last year as an RFA, meaning they walked away, rescinded their rights to him. Buffalo invited him to training camp as a non-contract player and he managed to impress enough to get a deal with the Amerks. He then impressed enough to get a deal with the Sabres.

Prepare to pay out on that bet. He's not very slow. He moves well, and given his size, he moves VERY well.
In fact, at the Pepsi Ctr this summer, I noticed both his size and feet and had to go home and figure out who he was. No rosters were being passed around.

Would love to find another player to add to depth and make a nother a good trading chip. Also a player with a chip on his sholder is a good thing. Love guys with something to prove.

I think he played a year with Stafford at UND and trains with Leo? That is a good way to get a bit of background and find a guy who might be overlooked.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
How mad is washington going to be if he turns into a solid 1-4 Dman. Would be great if he could live up to his first round pedigree.
Come on, they're more than happy with Jeff Schultz

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
coach Lindy Ruff said the Sabres were "test-driving a used car."
Bang, we have a nickname. Joe "Barn Find" Finley!

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:10 AM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
Do you think he would be getting this opportunity if not for the injuries to Brennan, Schiestel earlier in the year, plus all the call ups, putting him in this position? In other words is he good enough to live up to the hype or is he just lucky? I guess we'll see tonight.
Not sure. Brennan was the recall before his issues and Schiestel still needs time to become healthy and regain his All-star form. Joe is playing well for sure and the call is well deserved.

Last edited by French Connection: 12-02-2011 at 02:52 PM.
French Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:15 AM
BowieSabresFan

Not having seen him play yet, how physical is he for his size?

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:27 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
Think more along the lines of a Toni Lydman (but stronger due to his size) than Robyn Regehr. He's not going to explode anyone, but he won't be pushed around and he will clear the crease.

At least that's the impression those who've seen him have given me.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

The fact that we're expecting these kids to show some backbone more than the core is disturbing...

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Paradigm

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeVo View Post
Can you image a D with 4 guys over 6'5"?

Finley
Myers
Regehr
McNabb

Toss in reg and ehrhoff and thats a very intimidating sight to look at.
Regehr-Ehrhoff
McNabb-Myers
Finley-Sekera

Yes, please.

As we've all gone over many times, we need a better distribution of defensemen (more defensive, less offensive).

It won't matter who's in net if we keep losing coverage on opposing forwards and not clearing the crease often.

I'm certainly excited to see how our young guns progress given these opportunities.

Paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:54 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Think more along the lines of a Toni Lydman (but stronger due to his size) than Robyn Regehr. He's not going to explode anyone, but he won't be pushed around and he will clear the crease.

*nods* Thanks for that.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
He's made the best of his opportunities.

12-02-2011, 12:01 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Lucky? How is a guy, that had his career derailed by one of the most freak injuries you can possible have, considered lucky?

Its a feel good story about a guy that worked his ass off to get a 2nd chance and took advantage of his opportunities. Of course he wouldn't be called up if it weren't for all the injuries. If it wasn't for the injuries in Rochester he wouldn't have had an opportunity to show what he can do playing big minutes there. Which is why he got a contract and why he is getting called up right now.

Most see his high end as a bottom pairing dman or a 6/7 dman. How does that translate into hype?

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:07 PM
SabresOfBuffalo

If only he was a right handed shot. Still excited to see him tonight though.

SabresOfBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Play4miracles he did "assault" a badger but has done nothing to an aardvark as far as I know.
Assaulting badgers is a foolhardy task! I hope he attacks bruins as well.

I'm happy to see that management has finally decided to inject some testosterone into the Sabres predominantly estrogen filled roster. No more knitting in the players lounge, how about Kassian and Finley do some arm wrestling instead!

If Finley has good mobility, and enough vision to move the puck up ice without turning it over or constantly icing it, I'll be happy. The team doesn't need another McNabb running out of position to make a name for himself as a hitter. Right now, they need Finley to be positionally disciplined, and accountable. ESPECIALLY against the Red Wings. If he's a half step behind the play in the n-zone Datsyuk will retard him.

BTW, is it possible to run a Master Blaster on the power play? I am of course talking about putting Finley and Gerbe in front of the net at the same time.

"Who runs Crease Town?"
"..master blaster.."
"Say it, LOUDER!"
"MASTER BLASTER!"

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:51 PM
punkr0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Most see his high end as a bottom pairing dman or a 6/7 dman. How does that translate into hype?
I was talking more generally about the excitement surrounding his call up, not so much his NHL career. People seem to have big expectations for this game and this player. I understand given his size, I'm excited as well.

Old
12-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Biznasty is a strong middle weight borderline heavy weight, and he handled Finley very easily.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:25 PM
punkr0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Biznasty is a strong middle weight borderline heavy weight, and he handled Finley very easily.

Bissonnette is a pretty good fighter, despite not being the biggest guy. That said that's the only clip I've seen so far where the guy doesn't just turtle after 2-3 bombs from Finley.

Old
12-02-2011, 03:39 PM
indigoo

Fighting in hockey has become a choreographed dance, so it's more about who has better balance, footing and the most limber. I'd like to see that fight off the ice. Though, who knows, maybe Bissonette still takes him.

I'm really excited to see this guy play though, folks!

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 03:42 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Well he is getting his chance to play only because of injury, he started the season for the Amerks as a healthy scratch and only got into their lineup because of an injury. Its pro sports and injuries = opportunities.

He has played well enough in Rochester to get on the top pairing and play top minutes and that means he is leap frogging other prospects. I expect him to do well, he is a good skater but I am interested to see how he plays at NHL speed.

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 03:43 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post

This is correct, he is physical but doesn't have that nasty streak. He doesn't try to put the other guy through the boards, he applies enough force to separate them from the puck.

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:02 PM
KevinFG

Send a message via Skype™ to KevinFG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
I've only seen him play live once, but he's not a maniac. He picked his spots, and hit hard when he could, including one hit on the boards 10 rows in front of me that made my beer warm.

Not comparing him to Regehr skill wise, but I think he plays that style of game.

KevinFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:04 PM
KevinFG

Send a message via Skype™ to KevinFG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
This is correct, he is physical but doesn't have that nasty streak. He doesn't try to put the other guy through the boards, he applies enough force to separate them from the puck.
Must've just been the Crunch game I saw then. Because he crushed someone in that game. I know you've seen him substantially more than I have.

KevinFG is offline   Reply With Quote