HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Walker clears re-entry waivers

Old
12-01-2011, 11:05 PM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Not if you want to get rid of a guy. If they wanted to keep Nodl, they would have sent down a different guy.
Why would you want to get rid of Nodl for nothing?

Just give me one solid reason.

You're owner has massively deep pockets, so money isn't an issue. Getting rid of Nodl does nothing for your cap space (you're still over the cap w/ LTIR, so you're not banking any cap space for later), and you've made no corresponding roster moves that made Nodl's waiver necessary as far as the salary cap goes.

The only logical conclusion is that Nodl was waived to put us under the contract limit and give us room in that manner. If that is true and the Flyers wanted Walker on re-call waivers, you ALWAYS do the recall first. If Walker is recalled and claimed by some other team, then you get your contract spot. If he isn't claimed, then you waive Nodl AFTERWARDS.

There's no way you can defend the order in which he executed these moves. It's just pure stupidity. Sure it's "small" but the small things add up.

On top of that, the 850k he might've just blown on Walker (which you consider small peanuts) could be the difference between us having the cap space to acquire an older top-4 defender for the stretch run, or us having to settle for another fringe 5-6 defender instead. That's a big deal.

When you have a lot of higher salaried players like the Flyers do, you have a lot less flexibility to move players in deadline deals to create cap room. The Flyers have a lot of guys that are crucial to the team (Giroux, JVR, Hartnell, Briere, Jagr, Voracek, Couturier, Talbot, Read, Pronger, Timonen, Coburn, Meszaros, Carle). They cannot be moved @ the deadline unless for a massive upgrade (and that usually doesn't happen... deadline deals are usually picks for older soon-to-be UFAs from non-contending teams). The only people that you could possibly use to clear room would be Schenn or Simmonds, and I'd argue that they are pretty important to the team too (at least when compared to the AHLers who would replace them). And if you used Simmonds, you'd have to trade him or waive him (and he's 100% be claimed, probably by the first team that has the rights to him b/c he's a good player). Assuming we replaced Schenn or Simmonds w/ an AHLer to clear some cap room, that only saves us about 800k to $1million (Schenn makes 1.6, Simmonds makes 1.75, and the average AHLer we could actually move up costs about 800k). If we blow 850k on Walker, that means a demotion of Schenn or trade of Simmonds actually only frees up at most 150k.

With Walker claimed, Schenn sent down, Gustafsson sent down, and all our players (except Lappy and Betts) off LTIR, this team has 13 forwards, 6 defensemen, 2 goalies, and <2 million in cap room. There's no room to add anything. The only defenseman to upgrade is Lilja, but his contract stays on your books no matter what cause he's 35+, so you can't even trade him for some extra room. You could MAYBE squeeze another 300k off the books if you waive Shelley and bring up another AHLer, but you'd still only have 2.5M if you brought up Wellwood (the cheapest of our NHL ready forwards).

There are very few, if any 2.5M defenseman in this league that is acquirable @ the deadline for only some minor picks that do a significantly better job than Gustaffson.

There are however many more 3.35M or less defensemen in this league that fit that bill. If only Walker wasn't put on re-entry waivers. Oh well.

Here's the proof btw:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jaromir Jagr ($3.300m)
JVR ($1.654m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($2.250m)
Harry Zolnierczyk ($0.900m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)
/ / Eric Wellwood ($0.580m)

DEFENSEMEN
Chris Pronger ($4.921m) / Matt Carle ($3.437m)
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Braydon Coburn ($3.200m) / Andreas Lilja ($0.737m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.666m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

BONUS OVERAGES
($1.402m)

CLAIMED PLAYERS
Matt Walker ($0.850m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,752,539; BONUSES: $1,300,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,547,461

Last edited by WeekendAtBernies: 12-01-2011 at 11:11 PM.
WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Wud

I've defended homer for alot.... but risking dead cap space is just plain dumb.

Wud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:02 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I can't believe this is 12 pages.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:01 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Why would you want to get rid of Nodl for nothing?

Just give me one solid reason.

You're owner has massively deep pockets, so money isn't an issue. Getting rid of Nodl does nothing for your cap space (you're still over the cap w/ LTIR, so you're not banking any cap space for later), and you've made no corresponding roster moves that made Nodl's waiver necessary as far as the salary cap goes.

The only logical conclusion is that Nodl was waived to put us under the contract limit and give us room in that manner. If that is true and the Flyers wanted Walker on re-call waivers, you ALWAYS do the recall first. If Walker is recalled and claimed by some other team, then you get your contract spot. If he isn't claimed, then you waive Nodl AFTERWARDS.

There's no way you can defend the order in which he executed these moves. It's just pure stupidity. Sure it's "small" but the small things add up.

On top of that, the 850k he might've just blown on Walker (which you consider small peanuts) could be the difference between us having the cap space to acquire an older top-4 defender for the stretch run, or us having to settle for another fringe 5-6 defender instead. That's a big deal.

When you have a lot of higher salaried players like the Flyers do, you have a lot less flexibility to move players in deadline deals to create cap room. The Flyers have a lot of guys that are crucial to the team (Giroux, JVR, Hartnell, Briere, Jagr, Voracek, Couturier, Talbot, Read, Pronger, Timonen, Coburn, Meszaros, Carle). They cannot be moved @ the deadline unless for a massive upgrade (and that usually doesn't happen... deadline deals are usually picks for older soon-to-be UFAs from non-contending teams). The only people that you could possibly use to clear room would be Schenn or Simmonds, and I'd argue that they are pretty important to the team too (at least when compared to the AHLers who would replace them). And if you used Simmonds, you'd have to trade him or waive him (and he's 100% be claimed, probably by the first team that has the rights to him b/c he's a good player). Assuming we replaced Schenn or Simmonds w/ an AHLer to clear some cap room, that only saves us about 800k to $1million (Schenn makes 1.6, Simmonds makes 1.75, and the average AHLer we could actually move up costs about 800k). If we blow 850k on Walker, that means a demotion of Schenn or trade of Simmonds actually only frees up at most 150k.

With Walker claimed, Schenn sent down, Gustafsson sent down, and all our players (except Lappy and Betts) off LTIR, this team has 13 forwards, 6 defensemen, 2 goalies, and <2 million in cap room. There's no room to add anything. The only defenseman to upgrade is Lilja, but his contract stays on your books no matter what cause he's 35+, so you can't even trade him for some extra room. You could MAYBE squeeze another 300k off the books if you waive Shelley and bring up another AHLer, but you'd still only have 2.5M if you brought up Wellwood (the cheapest of our NHL ready forwards).

There are very few, if any 2.5M defenseman in this league that is acquirable @ the deadline for only some minor picks that do a significantly better job than Gustaffson.

There are however many more 3.35M or less defensemen in this league that fit that bill. If only Walker wasn't put on re-entry waivers. Oh well.

Here's the proof btw:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jaromir Jagr ($3.300m)
JVR ($1.654m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($2.250m)
Harry Zolnierczyk ($0.900m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)
/ / Eric Wellwood ($0.580m)

DEFENSEMEN
Chris Pronger ($4.921m) / Matt Carle ($3.437m)
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Braydon Coburn ($3.200m) / Andreas Lilja ($0.737m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.666m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

BONUS OVERAGES
($1.402m)

CLAIMED PLAYERS
Matt Walker ($0.850m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,752,539; BONUSES: $1,300,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,547,461
Like I have said, it appears that Nodl was gone regardless of what happened with Walker. They were paying him what, $800k hitting against the cap and he wasn't necessary. Somehow that is ok but Matt Walker's $850k of dead space is not. Maybe they could have gotten a sixth rounder for him. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I doubt Homer didn't make a single call to try and trade him, but if he did, he potentially missed out on a mid to late round pick. And this is only potential. It is also possible that he knows the value of his players and what teams want/need. A possible mistake, sure, but again, not the end of the world. If that sixth round pick comes back to haunt us, I would be pretty damned shocked.

As far as the Walker portion of this post, he hasn't been claimed so I unless you are posting from later on today, this is all just conjecture. And $2.5 million in cap space even if he is claimed should be enough to make a move. Also the part about trading Lilja is inaccurate. They can trade him and he comes off the books. It's only waiving him that doesn't take it off the books (and I'm pretty sure that it is only applicable to years after the first year so I think they could even waive him this year and hit would disappear).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:16 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Like I have said, it appears that Nodl was gone regardless of what happened with Walker. They were paying him what, $800k hitting against the cap and he wasn't necessary. Somehow that is ok but Matt Walker's $850k of dead space is not. Maybe they could have gotten a sixth rounder for him. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I doubt Homer didn't make a single call to try and trade him, but if he did, he potentially missed out on a mid to late round pick. And this is only potential. It is also possible that he knows the value of his players and what teams want/need. A possible mistake, sure, but again, not the end of the world. If that sixth round pick comes back to haunt us, I would be pretty damned shocked.

As far as the Walker portion of this post, he hasn't been claimed so I unless you are posting from later on today, this is all just conjecture. And $2.5 million in cap space even if he is claimed should be enough to make a move. Also the part about trading Lilja is inaccurate. They can trade him and he comes off the books. It's only waiving him that doesn't take it off the books (and I'm pretty sure that it is only applicable to years after the first year so I think they could even waive him this year and hit would disappear).
No team was going to trade for Walker, as they would have to put him through re-entry waivers.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:19 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
No team was going to trade for Walker, as they would have to put him through re-entry waivers.
I was referring to trading Lilja, not Walker.

Old
12-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Kaktus*

We'll find out today.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:31 AM
MsWoof

The excitement is too much, I can't wait to read Bob McKenzie's tweet!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Kaktus*

Too bad we can't bet vCash .

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Homer is a genius!!

His plan seems to be get rid of Walkers contract. But no Franchise will ever take him or his salary. But if we put him on re entry someone probably will claim him. But he is worth nothing so the new team will waive him as well and we get rid of his cap hit!

What a genius.....

And to the Homer defenders.....

Can he do what ever he want and you will defend him all the time?

Cant believe it!!

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Subject Orange

I'm not 100% clear on this...and seeing as we still have an hour to wait..

do they announce it as soon as the first eligible team claims someone...

or do they wait till noon THEN announce who gets him based on all the teams who may have claimed him..

Subject Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:02 AM
achdumeingute

I get you DFF, I get you.

What we haven't seen DFF is the "wheel o' transactions" that homer uses for his decision making. Tis' all random chance. I hope the trade giroux for kaleta slice is very small.

The Flyers are totally winging it 100% of the time. I know...because I post here.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:05 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subject Orange View Post
I'm not 100% clear on this...and seeing as we still have an hour to wait..

do they announce it as soon as the first eligible team claims someone...

or do they wait till noon THEN announce who gets him based on all the teams who may have claimed him..
Someone will announce it, likely Bob McKenzie. It's done as a secret, so the only team that can know whether or not they got him is Columbus (worst record by point percentage), if they put a claim in.

We'll just go ahead and wait for that to happen. I don't think anyone is saying anything at this point that will change people's minds.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

RT @tpanotchCSN: Matt Walker has cleared re-entry waivers I am told

Old
12-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Yay. I guess?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:09 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
****, now he's anchoring our third pairing

Yay, he isn't anchoring on our salary cap situation.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:10 PM
mirimon

Well, thank goodness for that. I hope they still play Bourdon and Marshall though. Bourdon's place should be safe for now, I suppose.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
****, now he's anchoring our third pairing

He's better than Marshall and Bourdon....

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Prongo
Beer

Thank goodness... carry on everyone! This thread was entertaining before the lock!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:11 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

No way Homer had any insight on this. No way in hell.

Old
Claude Reigns
What offseason?

Quote:
I'm not sure if I should clap, laugh or cry.

Claude Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
$1.7M for your 9th defenseman still hurts.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Whether that's true or not, is that comforting to you?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:12 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
$1.7M for your 9th defenseman still hurts.
Fair enough.

1. Pronger --- hurt
2. Timonen
3. Coburn
4. Meszaros
5. Carle
6. Gustafsson --- hurt
7. Bourdon
8. Marshall
9. Lilja --- hurt
10. Walker
11. Bartulis

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
I'd rather these guys play.