HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Walker clears re-entry waivers

Old
12-02-2011, 12:14 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 500
how bad do you suck that no one wants you even at 850 with the other team paying half the salary.
This should make what Holmgren did ok now that he cleared re-entry right?
it was still a stupid move.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
how bad do you suck that no one wants you even at 850 with the other team paying half the salary.
This should make what Holmgren did ok now that he cleared re-entry right?
it was still a stupid move.
I still think it's not that they didn't want him at 850K but they didn't want him next year at 1.7 million. I believe the extra year is what deterred people from claiming him.

At least he cleared.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:17 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
He's better than Marshall and Bourdon....
yep, Holmgren should put these guys on waivers when he can. and sign a couple of broken down AHL vets instead.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
No way Homer had any insight on this. No way in hell.
Yeah... so Holmgren looks like a genius for acquiring a player @ 1.7 that no one else in the league wants at $850k?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:18 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I still think it's not that they didn't want him at 850K but they didn't want him next year at 1.7 million. I believe the extra year is what deterred people from claiming him.

At least he cleared.
the other team would of been on the hook for half the salary until the contract expired. see the situation with Avery.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
the other team would of been on the hook for half the salary until the contract expired. see the situation with Avery.
Yea my bad.. I knew that too. Still I don't think they wanted him for that extra year

Old
12-02-2011, 12:20 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Yeah... so Holmgren looks like a genius for acquiring a player @ 1.7 that no one else in the league wants at $850k?
We're not talking about that though. Walker's contract is a gross overpayment and it sucks to be anchored by that, but that is not the topic of discussion. All I am saying, and have been saying, is that it is possible Homer knew he would clear. It may not have been just dumb luck.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:23 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
We're not talking about that though. Walker's contract is a gross overpayment and it sucks to be anchored by that, but that is not the topic of discussion. All I am saying, and have been saying, is that it is possible Homer knew he would clear. It may not have been just dumb luck.
He can't possibly know that Walker or any other player would clear.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
No, he did not know. Stop treating Homer like he's an all-knowing deity. He got lucky.

He's amazingly stupid for continuing to take these unnecessary risks.

12-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
He can't possibly know that Walker or any other player would clear.
I understand what he is saying that GM's defintely do call aroud and email each other to see whats gonna happen. The Randy Jones situation was very similar. Homer sent out a league wide email to the other GM's to see if they had any interest in claiming him. Got nothing back then put him on re-entry and got claimed. Homer was pissed about it. There is a sort of fraternity among GM's too. Today a vidoe came out about how Burke wanted to fight Lowe over the Penner offer sheet. In the video he mentioned he was talking to some other GM and he didn't hang up his phone or something and Lowe heard him talking **** lol. Burke is funny

Edit: While he didn't know for certain that he would clear it probably was a calculated risk

Old
12-02-2011, 12:29 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I understand what he is saying that GM's defintely do call aroud and email each other to see whats gonna happen. The Randy Jones situation was very similar. Homer sent out a league wide email to the other GM's to see if they had any interest in claiming him. Got nothing back then put him on re-entry and got claimed. Homer was pissed about it. There is a sort of fraternity among GM's too. Today a vidoe came out about how Burke wanted to fight Lowe over the Penner offer sheet. In the video he mentioned he was talking to some other GM and he didn't hang up his phone or something and Lowe heard him talking **** lol. Burke is

Edit: While he didn't know for certain that he would clear it probably was a calculated risk
Homer needs a new calculator then.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:31 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
No, he did not know. Stop treating Homer like he's an all-knowing deity. He got lucky.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:37 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

Lol. I guess you are the all-knowing deity then because you seem to know at least what he knows, if not more.

I know the concept of an NHL General Manager with a staff of people working for him knowing the value of his own players and the pulse of the league seems strange, but I think there is at least a chance that it is possible. I guess not know. Beat writers and fans know what really is up.

EDIT: Bloggers too.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:45 PM
JVR21
G

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Lol. I guess you are the all-knowing deity then because you seem to know at least what he knows, if not more.

I know the concept of an NHL General Manager with a staff of people working for him knowing the value of his own players and the pulse of the league seems strange, but I think there is at least a chance that it is possible. I guess not know. Beat writers and fans know what really is up.

... and I think most of us assume a General Manager with a staff of people working for him" would know the basic rules of the CBA--but that has proven not to be the case. You can't blame some of us for the skepticism.

This was, at best, a risky move, and the reason most were annoyed was that the reward (15 minutes of Matt Walker) did not seem worth the danger of being saddled with more dead cap space.

That said, I continue to believe that Holmgren gets the big things right more often than not.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:50 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:

you too. you seem to think you know whats going on more then most anyone else around here.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:51 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

We are all omnipotent. Problem solved.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:

Actually, fans, beat writers and bloggers have called out Holmgren on mistakes he wasn't aware he was making because of his lack of understanding of the CBA...you know, that document which is vitally important to his job. It seems to happen at least once a year.

I've never said I'm all knowing. However, unlike you, I actually realize the risk that Homer took with this, I realize how incredibly dumb it is, and I'm actually aware of the cumulative effects that many bad decisions can have...just look at the state of the team before the offseason rebuild. The near future was bleak because of Holmgren giving away prospects and draft picks like candy for years and the cap situation was ugly as well. It's small things like players getting claimed on re-entry that add up and have a cumulative effect. That Homer continues taking these risks needlessly is inexcusable.

Now, time to amend my original analogy:

Beef Logic: OK, I've headbutted the sidewalk. I don't have a concussion, but the risk still means it was a stupid idea.

DFF Logic: OK, I've headbutted the sidewalk. I don't have a concussion, it's a great idea! I'm a genius!

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:57 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Beef Logic: OK, I've headbutted the sidewalk. I don't have a concussion, but the risk still means it was a stupid idea.

DFF Logic: OK, I've headbutted the sidewalk. I don't have a concussion, it's a great idea! I'm a genius!
PH Logic: I already knew he wasn't going to get a concussion so it did not matter what he did.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:57 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I'm glad he cleared. Bullet dodged.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:01 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
We are all omnipotent. Problem solved.
It's a good thing we're not all omnibenevolent, or this board would be frightfully boring.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:02 PM
mirimon

Quote:
PH Logic: I already knew he wasn't going to get a concussion so it did not matter what he did.

You mean he wore a helmet?

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Paul Holmgren knows more than internet bloggers?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:

So is it OK to shoot someone if you know they aren't going to die? Good to know.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:05 PM

OH MY GAWD, NOT THE RE-ENTRY WAI....Oh, ok. Maybe Holmgren knew what he was doing all along.

I don't expect that to be the consensus though.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote