HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Walker clears re-entry waivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-02-2011, 12:05 PM
  #326
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,044
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
PH Logic: I already knew he wasn't going to get a concussion so it did not matter what he did.

actually wouldnt Holmgren logic be I dont care what happens if I headbutt the sidewalk.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:05 PM
  #327
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,754
vCash: 769
told you no one would claim him

he sucks

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:07 PM
  #328
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
you too. you seem to think you know whats going on more then most anyone else around here.
Not sure how me saying there is a possibility of something or saying that others maybe don't have all the facts would make it seem like I am saying I know what is going on. However, someone saying that there is no possibility of that and that what they know is correct seems to be saying just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Actually, fans, beat writers and bloggers have called out Holmgren on mistakes he wasn't aware he was making because of his lack of understanding of the CBA...you know, that document which is vitally important to his job. It seems to happen at least once a year.
That's fine. No argument here. Doesn't mean anything in this case. If his mistakes in the past mean he will only make mistakes in the future, what about his good moves? They don't count for future moves? Come on.

Quote:
I've never said I'm all knowing. However, unlike you, I actually realize the risk that Homer took with this, I realize how incredibly dumb it is, and I'm actually aware of the cumulative effects that many bad decisions can have...just look at the state of the team before the offseason rebuild. The near future was bleak because of Holmgren giving away prospects and draft picks like candy for years and the cap situation was ugly as well. It's small things like players getting claimed on re-entry that add up and have a cumulative effect. That Homer continues taking these risks needlessly is inexcusable.
But this is where you are saying you are all knowing. I am saying you might not have all the facts. You are saying you are, without knowing what Homer knew. I'm not really sure what you don't understand about that.

Quote:
Now, time to amend my original analogy:

Beef Logic: OK, I've headbutted the sidewalk. I don't have a concussion, but the risk still means it was a stupid idea.

DFF Logic: OK, I've headbutted the sidewalk. I don't have a concussion, it's a great idea! I'm a genius!
How about this analogy:

Beef Logic: I think something is true so it is and there are no other possibilities.

DFF Logic: Maybe there are other possibilities.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:07 PM
  #329
1865
Registered User
 
1865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chester, UK
Country: England
Posts: 9,176
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
He can't possibly know that Walker or any other player would clear.
Sigh. Every move he does is stupid if it falls flat and lucky if it works out. You'd never think we were such a good team.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:08 PM
  #330
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,558
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
told you no one would claim him

he sucks
Actually, there was a good risk that Montreal or Buffalo would claim him. Both teams have been panned by their fanbases for not having any tough guys to stand up to Boston. If either GM had decided to add a tough guy for cheap Walker would have been gone. We are fortunate neither they or any of the other GMs didn't want to do that.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:08 PM
  #331
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 25,361
vCash: 10592
I'd like to know Homer's NFL picks for this week. The guy throws darts in the dark and hits the freakin' bullseye. Another close one for you guys, lol.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:09 PM
  #332
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,558
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Not sure how me saying there is a possibility of something or saying that others maybe don't have all the facts would make it seem like I am saying I know what is going on. However, someone saying that there is no possibility of that and that what they know is correct seems to be saying just that.



That's fine. No argument here. Doesn't mean anything in this case. If his mistakes in the past mean he will only make mistakes in the future, what about his good moves? They don't count for future moves? Come on.



But this is where you are saying you are all knowing. I am saying you might not have all the facts. You are saying you are, without knowing what Homer knew. I'm not really sure what you don't understand about that.



How about this analogy:

Beef Logic: I think something is true so it is and there are no other possibilities.

DFF Logic: Maybe there are other possibilities.
Dude, your "other possibility" is that Paul Holmgren is perfectly appraised of every GM's intentions and plans. That's ridiculous.

He isn't perfectly appraised of their intentions and plans, which is why calling Walker up is such a risk. Considering this team has no cap flexibility at all, it's a huge risk. I'm not sure why you don't understand that.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:10 PM
  #333
PF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: UK
Country: England
Posts: 670
vCash: 500
I think Homer has discovered a model all future GMs will follow. All rosters shall henceforth have grossly overpaid fringe defensemen and forwards in order to move them up and down between the NHL and AHL with no one wanting to claim even at half price.

In the future this is how I envisage injury crises shall be averted by the entire NHL.

PF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:14 PM
  #334
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Genius..

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:15 PM
  #335
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I still think it's not that they didn't want him at 850K but they didn't want him next year at 1.7 million. I believe the extra year is what deterred people from claiming him.

At least he cleared.
If claimed the Flyers would have been on the hook for half his salary for the remainder of his contract... next season also... see Avery and the Rangers/Stars for just one example.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:18 PM
  #336
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Dude, your "other possibility" is that Paul Holmgren is perfectly appraised of every GM's intentions and plans. That's ridiculous.

He isn't perfectly appraised of their intentions and plans, which is why calling Walker up is such a risk. Considering this team has no cap flexibility at all, it's a huge risk. I'm not sure why you don't understand that.
Ugh. You're right. Homer is clueless. No idea what his players are worth. No idea what other teams want or need. No idea at all. No GMs do. And their staff doesn't do any scouting or talking to other scouts and staff members of other teams. That would be crazy if they did. Think about how weird that would be if GMs talked to each other or knew what was going on in the league. That could never happen. Especially here. So weird. I must be crazy to think so. It is much more likely that he closed his eyes and waived him and hoped for the best and impossible that he had some insight. Do me a favor, when the Flyers go over your resume for GM, let me know what they say, ok?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:20 PM
  #337
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Seriously, nobody enjoyed this? It applies perfectly to this "homer is omniscient" argument.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:20 PM
  #338
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,558
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Ugh. You're right. Homer is clueless. No idea what his players are worth. No idea what other teams want or need. No idea at all. No GMs do. And their staff doesn't do any scouting or talking to other scouts and staff members of other teams. That would be crazy if they did. Think about how weird that would be if GMs talked to each other or knew what was going on in the league. That could never happen. Especially here. So weird. I must be crazy to think so. It is much more likely that he closed his eyes and waived him and hoped for the best and impossible that he had some insight. Do me a favor, when the Flyers go over your resume for GM, let me know what they say, ok?
I didn't say ANY of those things. I didn't come close to implying, either. Nice try though.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:29 PM
  #339
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,754
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Actually, there was a good risk that Montreal or Buffalo would claim him. Both teams have been panned by their fanbases for not having any tough guys to stand up to Boston. If either GM had decided to add a tough guy for cheap Walker would have been gone. We are fortunate neither they or any of the other GMs didn't want to do that.
well, if their fanbases say they have to do something, they SHOULD listen!

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:30 PM
  #340
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
If claimed the Flyers would have been on the hook for half his salary for the remainder of his contract... next season also... see Avery and the Rangers/Stars for just one example.
Haha yea I know I made another post saying I knew that. It was a mistake. The real motive behind the post was to say that I don't think anyone claimed him becuase of that extra year.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:30 PM
  #341
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,558
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
well, if their fanbases say they have to do something, they SHOULD listen!
Fanbases ARE capable of spotting problems, you know. Whether or not a GM sees the same problems or feels they need to be corrected is another matter. In both cases it isn't exactly a knee-jerk reaction either. It seems like a fair assessment, especially in Montreal's case.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:38 PM
  #342
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,818
vCash: 500
Knew he wasn't going to get claimed, but still a stupid move. Waivers are the worst of Homers GMing abilities, and we are lucky we didn't have to trade a 2nd rounder again to remedy his idiocy.

This is coming for a long time support of his.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:39 PM
  #343
DrHamburg
Registered User
 
DrHamburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Dude, your "other possibility" is that Paul Holmgren is perfectly appraised of every GM's intentions and plans. That's ridiculous.

He isn't perfectly appraised of their intentions and plans, which is why calling Walker up is such a risk. Considering this team has no cap flexibility at all, it's a huge risk. I'm not sure why you don't understand that.
When i saw he was being recalled I was almost 100% certain he would clear. This is why I hate coming on these boards. Realistically how many teams would be in the market for Walker at 850K for 2 seasons? I didn't really think of any but you listed 2 examples of sabres and habs. Do they have cap space for walker? would they waste a contract and salary on walker? are better trade options out there? is it possible Homer tried to deal walker to these teams and take back more salary for 1 season so it would be worth it to them and they didnt want him?

I am not a homer supporter by any means and he has a share of awful moves (like shelley) but i swear half of philly fans believe he is out to destroy the team and make them lose.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:46 PM
  #344
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,044
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I'd like to know Homer's NFL picks for this week. The guy throws darts in the dark and hits the freakin' bullseye. Another close one for you guys, lol.
he knows where the dart is going before he throws it. Just ask DFF he will tell you.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:47 PM
  #345
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,558
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
When i saw he was being recalled I was almost 100% certain he would clear. This is why I hate coming on these boards. Realistically how many teams would be in the market for Walker at 850K for 2 seasons? I didn't really think of any but you listed 2 examples of sabres and habs. Do they have cap space for walker? would they waste a contract and salary on walker? are better trade options out there? is it possible Homer tried to deal walker to these teams and take back more salary for 1 season so it would be worth it to them and they didnt want him?

I am not a homer supporter by any means and he has a share of awful moves (like shelley) but i swear half of philly fans believe he is out to destroy the team and make them lose.
Any divisional or conference rival that doesn't want us to have cap space could have claimed him. NYI could have used some extra bodies, for instance. Montreal and Buffalo have been mentioned. Apparently Chicago needs depth D. Defensemen are currently in demand, according to Holmgren himself. It was an unnecessary risk. The reward of having Walker and his oversize cap hit on the roster do not cancel the risk of him being claimed.

If Homer tried to trade Walker, failed, and then tried to give him away for free while keeping 850k of cap hit that would be even dumber than just calling him up. I highly doubt he did that. He probably just decided to take the risk. That's sort of how he rolls. He's made it clear in the past that he's willing to be reckless, and he sure doesn't seem to care much about the consequences.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:49 PM
  #346
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
When i saw he was being recalled I was almost 100% certain he would clear. This is why I hate coming on these boards. Realistically how many teams would be in the market for Walker at 850K for 2 seasons? I didn't really think of any but you listed 2 examples of sabres and habs. Do they have cap space for walker? would they waste a contract and salary on walker? are better trade options out there? is it possible Homer tried to deal walker to these teams and take back more salary for 1 season so it would be worth it to them and they didnt want him?

I am not a homer supporter by any means and he has a share of awful moves (like shelley) but i swear half of philly fans believe he is out to destroy the team and make them lose.
Imagine how happy Tampa was when they found one who wanted him for 1.7M for three seasons...

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:51 PM
  #347
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
How about this analogy:

Beef Logic: I think something is true so it is and there are no other possibilities.

DFF Logic: Maybe there are other possibilities.
Love it.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:52 PM
  #348
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,355
vCash: 500
I think people are not grasping the fact that this is the Cap Age and all teams are managing their organizations and cannot just grab such players to spite other teams and it would have to be clearly an upgrade for them to claim a player, even at half the price and a Cap easement... the 50 contract limit and flexibility seriously comes into play also... In addition there is the goodwill and karma factor that has to be considered.

Maybe Homer took a calculated risk... as all GMs must do on occasion when needs arise... and the rewards were gained off that risk. Homer should be given kudos for this, even by his detractors... and he should be taken to task when his actions fail, as should every GM in the NHL. Homer has a check on the plus side for this and we don't have to now worry about two rookies at the same time taxing the defense until the injured come back or a deal is made... I'm relatively happy a this point, considering the circumstances.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:53 PM
  #349
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I didn't say ANY of those things. I didn't come close to implying, either. Nice try though.
Oh ok. We are in agreement then.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:53 PM
  #350
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,044
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Imagine how happy Tampa was when they found one who wanted him for 1.7M for three seasons...
dont forget Gagne is/was washed up as well. good ridance

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.