HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Walker clears re-entry waivers

Old
12-02-2011, 12:05 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
PH Logic: I already knew he wasn't going to get a concussion so it did not matter what he did.

actually wouldnt Holmgren logic be I dont care what happens if I headbutt the sidewalk.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:05 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
told you no one would claim him

he sucks

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:07 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
you too. you seem to think you know whats going on more then most anyone else around here.
Not sure how me saying there is a possibility of something or saying that others maybe don't have all the facts would make it seem like I am saying I know what is going on. However, someone saying that there is no possibility of that and that what they know is correct seems to be saying just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Actually, fans, beat writers and bloggers have called out Holmgren on mistakes he wasn't aware he was making because of his lack of understanding of the CBA...you know, that document which is vitally important to his job. It seems to happen at least once a year.
That's fine. No argument here. Doesn't mean anything in this case. If his mistakes in the past mean he will only make mistakes in the future, what about his good moves? They don't count for future moves? Come on.

Quote:
I've never said I'm all knowing. However, unlike you, I actually realize the risk that Homer took with this, I realize how incredibly dumb it is, and I'm actually aware of the cumulative effects that many bad decisions can have...just look at the state of the team before the offseason rebuild. The near future was bleak because of Holmgren giving away prospects and draft picks like candy for years and the cap situation was ugly as well. It's small things like players getting claimed on re-entry that add up and have a cumulative effect. That Homer continues taking these risks needlessly is inexcusable.
But this is where you are saying you are all knowing. I am saying you might not have all the facts. You are saying you are, without knowing what Homer knew. I'm not really sure what you don't understand about that.

Quote:
Now, time to amend my original analogy:

Beef Logic: OK, I've headbutted the sidewalk. I don't have a concussion, but the risk still means it was a stupid idea.

DFF Logic: OK, I've headbutted the sidewalk. I don't have a concussion, it's a great idea! I'm a genius!
How about this analogy:

Beef Logic: I think something is true so it is and there are no other possibilities.

DFF Logic: Maybe there are other possibilities.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
He can't possibly know that Walker or any other player would clear.
Sigh. Every move he does is stupid if it falls flat and lucky if it works out. You'd never think we were such a good team.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
told you no one would claim him

he sucks
Actually, there was a good risk that Montreal or Buffalo would claim him. Both teams have been panned by their fanbases for not having any tough guys to stand up to Boston. If either GM had decided to add a tough guy for cheap Walker would have been gone. We are fortunate neither they or any of the other GMs didn't want to do that.

12-02-2011, 12:08 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I'd like to know Homer's NFL picks for this week. The guy throws darts in the dark and hits the freakin' bullseye. Another close one for you guys, lol.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Not sure how me saying there is a possibility of something or saying that others maybe don't have all the facts would make it seem like I am saying I know what is going on. However, someone saying that there is no possibility of that and that what they know is correct seems to be saying just that.

That's fine. No argument here. Doesn't mean anything in this case. If his mistakes in the past mean he will only make mistakes in the future, what about his good moves? They don't count for future moves? Come on.

But this is where you are saying you are all knowing. I am saying you might not have all the facts. You are saying you are, without knowing what Homer knew. I'm not really sure what you don't understand about that.

How about this analogy:

Beef Logic: I think something is true so it is and there are no other possibilities.

Dude, your "other possibility" is that Paul Holmgren is perfectly appraised of every GM's intentions and plans. That's ridiculous.

He isn't perfectly appraised of their intentions and plans, which is why calling Walker up is such a risk. Considering this team has no cap flexibility at all, it's a huge risk. I'm not sure why you don't understand that.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:10 PM
PF

vCash: 500
I think Homer has discovered a model all future GMs will follow. All rosters shall henceforth have grossly overpaid fringe defensemen and forwards in order to move them up and down between the NHL and AHL with no one wanting to claim even at half price.

In the future this is how I envisage injury crises shall be averted by the entire NHL.

PF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Kaktus*

Genius..

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I still think it's not that they didn't want him at 850K but they didn't want him next year at 1.7 million. I believe the extra year is what deterred people from claiming him.

At least he cleared.
If claimed the Flyers would have been on the hook for half his salary for the remainder of his contract... next season also... see Avery and the Rangers/Stars for just one example.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:18 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Dude, your "other possibility" is that Paul Holmgren is perfectly appraised of every GM's intentions and plans. That's ridiculous.

He isn't perfectly appraised of their intentions and plans, which is why calling Walker up is such a risk. Considering this team has no cap flexibility at all, it's a huge risk. I'm not sure why you don't understand that.
Ugh. You're right. Homer is clueless. No idea what his players are worth. No idea what other teams want or need. No idea at all. No GMs do. And their staff doesn't do any scouting or talking to other scouts and staff members of other teams. That would be crazy if they did. Think about how weird that would be if GMs talked to each other or knew what was going on in the league. That could never happen. Especially here. So weird. I must be crazy to think so. It is much more likely that he closed his eyes and waived him and hoped for the best and impossible that he had some insight. Do me a favor, when the Flyers go over your resume for GM, let me know what they say, ok?

Old
12-02-2011, 12:20 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Seriously, nobody enjoyed this? It applies perfectly to this "homer is omniscient" argument.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Ugh. You're right. Homer is clueless. No idea what his players are worth. No idea what other teams want or need. No idea at all. No GMs do. And their staff doesn't do any scouting or talking to other scouts and staff members of other teams. That would be crazy if they did. Think about how weird that would be if GMs talked to each other or knew what was going on in the league. That could never happen. Especially here. So weird. I must be crazy to think so. It is much more likely that he closed his eyes and waived him and hoped for the best and impossible that he had some insight. Do me a favor, when the Flyers go over your resume for GM, let me know what they say, ok?
I didn't say ANY of those things. I didn't come close to implying, either. Nice try though.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:29 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Actually, there was a good risk that Montreal or Buffalo would claim him. Both teams have been panned by their fanbases for not having any tough guys to stand up to Boston. If either GM had decided to add a tough guy for cheap Walker would have been gone. We are fortunate neither they or any of the other GMs didn't want to do that.
well, if their fanbases say they have to do something, they SHOULD listen!

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
If claimed the Flyers would have been on the hook for half his salary for the remainder of his contract... next season also... see Avery and the Rangers/Stars for just one example.
Haha yea I know I made another post saying I knew that. It was a mistake. The real motive behind the post was to say that I don't think anyone claimed him becuase of that extra year.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
well, if their fanbases say they have to do something, they SHOULD listen!
Fanbases ARE capable of spotting problems, you know. Whether or not a GM sees the same problems or feels they need to be corrected is another matter. In both cases it isn't exactly a knee-jerk reaction either. It seems like a fair assessment, especially in Montreal's case.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:38 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Knew he wasn't going to get claimed, but still a stupid move. Waivers are the worst of Homers GMing abilities, and we are lucky we didn't have to trade a 2nd rounder again to remedy his idiocy.

This is coming for a long time support of his.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:39 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:

When i saw he was being recalled I was almost 100% certain he would clear. This is why I hate coming on these boards. Realistically how many teams would be in the market for Walker at 850K for 2 seasons? I didn't really think of any but you listed 2 examples of sabres and habs. Do they have cap space for walker? would they waste a contract and salary on walker? are better trade options out there? is it possible Homer tried to deal walker to these teams and take back more salary for 1 season so it would be worth it to them and they didnt want him?

I am not a homer supporter by any means and he has a share of awful moves (like shelley) but i swear half of philly fans believe he is out to destroy the team and make them lose.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:46 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I'd like to know Homer's NFL picks for this week. The guy throws darts in the dark and hits the freakin' bullseye. Another close one for you guys, lol.
he knows where the dart is going before he throws it. Just ask DFF he will tell you.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
When i saw he was being recalled I was almost 100% certain he would clear. This is why I hate coming on these boards. Realistically how many teams would be in the market for Walker at 850K for 2 seasons? I didn't really think of any but you listed 2 examples of sabres and habs. Do they have cap space for walker? would they waste a contract and salary on walker? are better trade options out there? is it possible Homer tried to deal walker to these teams and take back more salary for 1 season so it would be worth it to them and they didnt want him?

I am not a homer supporter by any means and he has a share of awful moves (like shelley) but i swear half of philly fans believe he is out to destroy the team and make them lose.
Any divisional or conference rival that doesn't want us to have cap space could have claimed him. NYI could have used some extra bodies, for instance. Montreal and Buffalo have been mentioned. Apparently Chicago needs depth D. Defensemen are currently in demand, according to Holmgren himself. It was an unnecessary risk. The reward of having Walker and his oversize cap hit on the roster do not cancel the risk of him being claimed.

If Homer tried to trade Walker, failed, and then tried to give him away for free while keeping 850k of cap hit that would be even dumber than just calling him up. I highly doubt he did that. He probably just decided to take the risk. That's sort of how he rolls. He's made it clear in the past that he's willing to be reckless, and he sure doesn't seem to care much about the consequences.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:49 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post

Imagine how happy Tampa was when they found one who wanted him for 1.7M for three seasons...

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:51 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
How about this analogy:

Love it.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

I think people are not grasping the fact that this is the Cap Age and all teams are managing their organizations and cannot just grab such players to spite other teams and it would have to be clearly an upgrade for them to claim a player, even at half the price and a Cap easement... the 50 contract limit and flexibility seriously comes into play also... In addition there is the goodwill and karma factor that has to be considered.

Maybe Homer took a calculated risk... as all GMs must do on occasion when needs arise... and the rewards were gained off that risk. Homer should be given kudos for this, even by his detractors... and he should be taken to task when his actions fail, as should every GM in the NHL. Homer has a check on the plus side for this and we don't have to now worry about two rookies at the same time taxing the defense until the injured come back or a deal is made... I'm relatively happy a this point, considering the circumstances.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:53 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I didn't say ANY of those things. I didn't come close to implying, either. Nice try though.
Oh ok. We are in agreement then.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:53 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Imagine how happy Tampa was when they found one who wanted him for 1.7M for three seasons...
dont forget Gagne is/was washed up as well. good ridance