HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

YOUR limit with Lindy?

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2011, 12:22 PM
dire wolf
be cool

vCash: 500
I'm still a Lindy fan. I don't agree with everything he does, but still think he is a very good coach. I certainly haven't heard anyone better suggested, and I hate change just for the sake of change, which makes me different from 90% of you.

Old
12-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Kruschiki

December 2010.

Old
12-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

I see too many guys taking it too easy out there, too often. I for one, don't feel like it's the coaches job to motivate EVERY player EVERY game. The coaches should not have to remind them of how awesome their lives are, and how they need to put it all out there every second of every shift. The players should do that by themselves.

The only thing bringing in a new coach does for those slackers, is it gives them a jolt. And then all of a sudden everybody says, 'WHAT A GREAT COACH!! SEE WHAT A POOR JOB THE LAST GUY DID!?! HAhAHA I WAS RIGHT WEEEeeeeEEEE!!!".

The fact is, the players are just trying to impress the new coach, and they will soon go back to their slacking ways as soon as they figure out when it's safe for them to hide on the ice. It's been that way since the dawn of hockey.

The Sabres could fire Ruff, bring in a worse coach, and get better results. I would rather stick with the guy who actually knows what the hell he's doing, and put the blame on the players instead.

Old
12-01-2011, 01:09 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Lindy ruff doesn't have the talent to be fired.

Old
12-01-2011, 01:52 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Boudreau is already off the market.
He wasn't when I wrote it .

Old
12-01-2011, 03:15 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

He has to go! Carlyle gets fired and he won a cup! Ruff needs to go and I can't sugar coat it any longer.

Old
12-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Yummy Tree Sap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
He wasn't when I wrote it .
I would rather die than have Boudreau come into Buffalo, so it's all for the best. I am half-joking.

Old
12-01-2011, 05:45 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Speaking of lindy ruff, does anyone remember the 2000-2001 season? I thought that may have been one of ruff's best coaching years.

Old
12-01-2011, 06:46 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
Lindy, like it or not, is going to go down as one of the best coaches in NHL history. He worked wonders for years with incredibly limited resources.
Well, the two most successful runs he had he enjoyed the limited resource of one of the top 3 goalies in history. The other was a team that dumb lucked into a favorable set of rule changes, yet that team was stacked with talent. Those are hardly limited resources.

Quote:
Now, he might not be the guy to coach a team full of highly-paid mercenaries (Laviolette does a pretty solid job of that), but Lindy has shown time and again that he is a phenomenal coach. Literally EVERY game a fan of another team comes in and is like "god, I wish Lindy were our coach".
So he's a good coach for developed talent then?? If that's the case, why is the core of this team seen as a problem?

Quote:
Literally EVERY game a fan of another team comes in and is like "god, I wish Lindy were our coach".
Did any Blue Jacket fans say that after the putrid effort in Columbus Friday? You can't take stock in those comments, because they don't see the constant line shuffling, mismanagement of goalies, constant force feeding of MAG, etc that this fanbase has complained about with Lindy.

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, he has a solid 3-4 more seasons to show he can adapt to a new management philosophy. He's earned it.
He has trouble with the guys who've been here for years now...I'm not sure I want him benching, not giving steady linemates, and confusing the hell out of anyone else the way he has Leino for the next 3 years. Leino's confidence is so shot right now that his deal looks like the worst deal in history, and it's really not...he's a solid player. He's going to be fine...maybe, if he gets a little more freedom to play his game, and gets some steady linemates to feed off of.

Quote:
And given the chameleon-like nature of Lindy's tenure (gritty/all trap/collapse on Hasek -> wide open run-n-gun -> lockdown prevent -> stretch the ice), I don't really have any reason to think he won't be just as good at adapting to the new surroundings.
The only two of those that have had any success are the first two...and they fell into his lap. How many other teams are dressing 5 offensive defensemen a night??

Quote:
If he was fired he'd have half the NHL at his doorstep with offers within 3 days. You don't just let guys like that go.
Sorta like Boudreau?? The results were there with him, in the same way Lindy has results to Sabres fans. But BB lost that team...they didn't buy in anymore. That happens with coaches. It's happening here, right now. Sign me up for Lindy in Columbus, I'd gladly watch that train wreck happen.

Old
12-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...y-carlyle.html

Some of this sounds familiar.

Old
12-01-2011, 06:53 PM
dan213

My limit is approaching. I'm tired of watching this team look sluggish 60 games a season.

Old
12-01-2011, 07:00 PM
gallagt01

I'm a Lindy fan, but I do feel that the team is tuning him out. The core either needs a serious shakeup, or Lindy needs to go.

I don't see Lindy leaving under T-Pegs. He's very family oriented, and while I know he's stated that the right moves will be made to turn us into a winning franchise, I don't see him toying with the front office. These are his guys for the long haul.

Old
12-02-2011, 03:27 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I'm a Lindy fan, but I do feel that the team is tuning him out. The core either needs a serious shakeup, or Lindy needs to go.

I don't see Lindy leaving under T-Pegs. He's very family oriented, and while I know he's stated that the right moves will be made to turn us into a winning franchise, I don't see him toying with the front office. These are his guys for the long haul.
And THAT is NOT how a championship front office operates.

Pegula can say whatever he wants about winning a Cup (or Cups), but unless he's willing to make big time changes, which may include the coach and GM, he will be just another rich guy who has a pro sports team for a hobby.

Old
12-02-2011, 04:44 AM
Endless

If we dont make the playoffs this year or have a terrible first round in the playoffs

Old
12-02-2011, 09:33 AM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I think defining a limit for your coach by the team's success over time is a bad metric, as counter-intuitive as that sounds. My metric is good or bad coaching. Well coached teams can miss the playoffs, poorly coached teams can win the cup.

So I would have to see Lindy either lose the team mentally, or make some observable coaching errors. And frankly, at the end of the day, I trust people closer to the situation than random fans to be making that decision, because so much of what a coach actually does is unobservable to us. That's why it means a great deal to me that Lindy has a great reputation around the league - players and opposing coaches are more likely to know than I am.
Can you give an example of a poorly coached Cup winning team? I'd love to know when that happened.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:31 PM
ShaPow

I reached my limit with Ruff about 3 years ago.

As his roster has changed over the years, his teams always have the same struggles. Especially during the last 4 seasons.

They constantly blow 2 goal leads in the biggest games. Their defensive zone play is shoddy at best, even after adding high quality defenders like Regehr and Ehrhoff.

He leans on the wrong players to win hockey games. For example, Derek Roy leads all Sabres forwards in even strength ice time. He's 4th on the team in total ice time. Roy has played about 3 very good games this season, sandwiched between recovering from an injury, and playing like absolute garbage when healthy. When Roy is your coaches 'go-to' player, there is a serious, serious problem with that decision.

New faces typically have a very difficult time playing up to their capabilities on Ruff's watch. Rarely does he put those new players into situations where they excel in Buffalo.

His mantra of 'letting the league handle' situations that his hockey team should have handled on their own has derailed playoff births and playoff victories alike. Miller/Gomez (accidental or not, you take care of Gomez or the goaltender at the other end, or another player that's every bit as important to the Rangers as Miller was to the Sabres), Vanek/Boychuk, Connolly/M. Richards, even Pominville/Hjalmmarsson during the regular season last year.

The bar should be set very high with this collection of talent, and with a head coach that's been behind he same bench for 14 seasons. Getting beyond round 1 is not enough.

For Ruff to only have been to the Cup Final 1 time in 14 seasons, and for it to have only happened when the best goaltender of all time was between the pipes, is frankly unimpressive. He had a very solid team in 2000, 2005-6, 2006-7. Hardly examples of limited resources...And now, this season is looking just like so many others with less talent. Blowing 2 goal leads, uninspired performances versus bottom feeders, it hasn't changed in 13 years. Why would it change in 14 or 15 or 16?

It won't.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:37 PM
joshjull

My limit is probably 3 or 4 drinks, after that Lindy is all hands.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:39 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

For those who want Lindy gone - please enlighten me as to who out there you propose would be a better replacement?

Old
12-02-2011, 12:40 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post

There is literally no possible way you could have any insight on that.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
There is literally no possible way you could have any insight on that.
Hence the world "feel."

Old
12-02-2011, 12:45 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Hence the world "feel."
What's the point of even bringing it up then? If you want the man gone, give an actual reason why.

FWIW, if you kept the man when Pegula took over, he deserves a chance to succeed under new management. A decade and a half of service, Olympic assistant, considered one of the best coaches in the league by almost everyone... the man deserves it.

Now, maybe two more years go by and we get bounced in the first round. If you want to make the argument he should be gone then, fine, I'll by it. But the man has not had the talent on the team to work with recently up until now.

Old
12-02-2011, 02:03 PM
ShaPow

Quote:
For those who want Lindy gone - please enlighten me as to who out there you propose would be a better replacement?
Ahh, of course. The token "there's nobody better than Lindy" opinion. Always boggles my mind.

Who was Dan Bylsma?
Who was Guy Boucher?

A coach that fairly recently won a Cup was just axed. His team made the playoffs 5 times in 6 seasons in a very difficult conference.

Assistant coaches on other teams can turn into excellent head coaches. Mike Babcock is an example of that.

Who was Lindy Ruff prior to being the Sabres bench boss? A former player and just an assistant coach in Florida.

If you really think there's no one better than Ruff out there, then you never would have hired Ruff in the first place, because he was essentially a nobody, replacing a Head Coach of the year.

Next.

Old
12-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

I am giving Lindy some slack this season. With all the injuries it's just been brutal.

I mean 9 rookies on roster in one night? That's unheard of.

Old
12-02-2011, 02:11 PM
ShaPow

Quote:
What's the point of even bringing it up then? If you want the man gone, give an actual reason why.

FWIW, if you kept the man when Pegula took over, he deserves a chance to succeed under new management. A decade and a half of service, Olympic assistant, considered one of the best coaches in the league by almost everyone... the man deserves it.

Now, maybe two more years go by and we get bounced in the first round. If you want to make the argument he should be gone then, fine, I'll by it. But the man has not had the talent on the team to work with recently up until now.
No one deserves a pass after 1 Cup Final appearance in 14 years. Coaches that have done a heck of a lot more than Lindy Ruff have been fired 2 and 3 times over.

The man has not has the talent on the team to work with? Was there any team more talented than the 2006-7 Buffalo Sabres in nearly all of Sabres history? There was plenty of talent on the 2000 Sabres as well, including Dominik Hasek. A boat load of talent in 2005-6. You want to give him a pass for injures on the blueline in the playoffs of '06? Fine, you can have that one. It's understandable.
But, the Sabres did have the lead heading into the 3rd period of game 7 against Carolina in the Eastern Conference Finals.

But to say he's never had the talent is just made up.

How about you explain why he's such a great coach?

When does the elite coaching kick in?

Old
12-02-2011, 02:17 PM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
I am giving Lindy some slack this season. With all the injuries it's just been brutal.

I mean 9 rookies on roster in one night? That's unheard of.
And that was arguably the best effort from the team of the season so far. Curious, no?

Prior to the injuries, they were no great shakes either. Subtract Montador and Butler, add in Regehr and Ehrhoff, and the defensive zone was still in shambles prior to the injuries. Something is telling me that the players that are wearing the jerseys doesn't matter too much. The same issues remain. That can only mean one thing.

Closed Thread