HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Nassau Coliseum Visitor FAQ

Old
12-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66871 View Post
My wife and I are in Manhattan for the month and we are probably taking the LIRR out for the game next Saturday. Seems pretty straightforward since we are very close to Penn Station and I'm assuming cabs are readily available to get from the station to the coliseum.

But was just wondering if there is anything I should know/be aware of that could cause a problem. Things like having a hard time getting a cab after the game, having to go somewhere specific/hidden for will call tickets. Basically any advice you could give would be great. Thanks.
Other than the building crumbling around you (literally), god awful hockey from the home team, half of the 8k attendance being kids and the other half morons who yell "shoot!" even when the puck is in the neutral zone, justin bieber blaring on the speakers and just a general circus-like atmosphere... you should be fine.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:18 PM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66871 View Post
My wife and I are in Manhattan for the month and we are probably taking the LIRR out for the game next Saturday. Seems pretty straightforward since we are very close to Penn Station and I'm assuming cabs are readily available to get from the station to the coliseum.

But was just wondering if there is anything I should know/be aware of that could cause a problem. Things like having a hard time getting a cab after the game, having to go somewhere specific/hidden for will call tickets. Basically any advice you could give would be great. Thanks.
Did you ever have a friend say to you "Lets go see this great thing"? and before you know it you find yourself in some dank dark moldy place with cracked concrete floors and maybe a half starved dog lying in the corner. There may be something that was once food on top of what you can only assume was a table at one time and there is a couch that looks like it was used in every Tracy Lords movie against a damp concrete wall?

Thats what you should expect when you visit the NVMC.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:40 PM
mikeedef

Quick Ticket Question

My friend is taking me to an islander game and i was wondering if anyone knows the face value of the ticket price, Section 122(behind the net). Thanks

mikeedef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Toujin

I had tickets for section 109X (behind the net where Isles shoot twice) and those were about $85 each face value. I'm guessing it'd be something in that ballpark.

Toujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:50 PM
mikeedef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujin View Post
I had tickets for section 109X (behind the net where Isles shoot twice) and those were about $85 each face value. I'm guessing it'd be something in that ballpark.

ok thanks

mikeedef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 06:07 AM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
Did you ever have a friend say to you "Lets go see this great thing"? and before you know it you find yourself in some dank dark moldy place with cracked concrete floors and maybe a half starved dog lying in the corner. There may be something that was once food on top of what you can only assume was a table at one time and there is a couch that looks like it was used in every Tracy Lords movie against a damp concrete wall?

Thats what you should expect when you visit the NVMC.
It's amazing how some of you take that place for granted. I went there for the first time last month after being a fan for 30 years, and I loved it. I didn't want to leave the second game I went to. I just stood around staring at the banners and soaking it all in.

Loved it. It's a shame so many of you take it for granted.

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 06:28 AM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyNystromOwnsYou View Post
It's amazing how some of you take that place for granted. I went there for the first time last month after being a fan for 30 years, and I loved it. I didn't want to leave the second game I went to. I just stood around staring at the banners and soaking it all in.

Loved it. It's a shame so many of you take it for granted.
Its like anything else. You saw it for the first time in thirty years so you saw it at first glance. We see it every night so the deficiencies become more noticeable.

The broken uncomfortable worn out seats
The over crowded concourse
The below NHL standards ice surface
The lack of any type of amenities nearby
The lack of any type of mass transit
The zero legroom back rows
The roof that leaks and cannot be permanently repaired

It does have great site lines I will grant you that.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:31 AM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

I understand that, but you still take that team and that arena for granted. Most of Long Island does. I understand it's not great, and a new one would be better. But that doesn't mean you don't take if for granted.

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:16 AM
The Price is Right

Times Square to Nassau Coliseum?

Hi guys I will be in New York City and I want to go to a game at Nassau Coliseum.

What would be the cheapest and most convenient way of getting to the Coliseum from Penn station?

Thanks

The Price is Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Isles Shawn

take the LIRR's Hempstead Branch from Penn Station to Hempstead. once at the Hempstead Station, walk one block to the Hempstead Bus Terminal. Take either the N70, N71, or N72, which will drop you off on Hempstead Turnpike opposite the Nassau Coliseum.

About $10 or so one way.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...8&z=15&start=0

Isles Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:20 AM
WangMustGo
NYI

Penn Station take the Long Island Rail Road to Garden City than cab it. Wont be cheap though. ~40 round trip i would say.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:31 AM
goflyers1718

I'm trying to go to the Flyers game there on January 12th and despite my location, I've only been to the Coliseum once (over 10 years ago). What's the parking situation like there? Is there any way to park nearby for free? And is there a decent place nearby to get a bite to eat? I have no recollection of what's around there. I'm assuming StubHub is the best place for the cheapest tix.

Thanks in advance!

goflyers1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:00 PM
DirkNowitzki
Rookie User

Going home after game dangerous?

Hi,

My Girlfriend and I stay at a hotel at Times Square. On 12/29/11 we wanted to watch the Islanders Game (1st Row Lower VIP End Zone).

Today i injured my shoulder, so I'm not sure wether we sould go to the game. My girlfriend is very scary.. is the way from Nassau Colosseum back to Times Square dangerous in the evening? I mean I can't really protect her with a broken shoulder....

+ it is a very long trip (1:45 min by train)...

Would you go anyway? Do you know a possibility to sell the tickets as a German? Tickets are downloadable but to sell on Stubhub you must be located in US or UK.

Thank you guys

DirkNowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:05 PM
ugly and proud

not at all. just cab it to mineola train station and hop on the train to penn. then walk from penn back to times square.

ugly and proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:06 PM
beLIever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkNowitzki View Post
Hi,

My Girlfriend and I stay at a hotel at Times Square. On 12/29/11 we wanted to watch the Islanders Game (1st Row Lower VIP End Zone).

Today i injured my shoulder, so I'm not sure wether we sould go to the game. My girlfriend is very scary.. is the way from Nassau Colosseum back to Times Square dangerous in the evening? I mean I can't really protect her with a broken shoulder....

+ it is a very long trip (1:45 min by train)...

Would you go anyway? Do you know a possibility to sell the tickets as a German? Tickets are downloadable but to sell on Stubhub you must be located in US or UK.

Thank you guys
You should have no problems - and it shouldn't take you 1:45 by train. Once you get to the LIRR station (either Hempstead or Mineola - look at the thread about visiting the Coliseum) it should only be a :40 minute train ride back into Manhattan, and from there it's less than 10 minutes on the 1/2/3 train to Times Square.

beLIever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:07 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

with a car....no problems. Take the expressway back to the city.

train will be fine if you going through Garden City or Mineola back to Penn Station and then a short subway or walk to Times Sq.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Hipietro

I think you should be fine. I have lived in New York City and Long Island (right by the Coliseum) and there really isn't much to worry about. The Long Island Rail Road is always a safe ride when it comes to crime and the Times Square area of the city is pretty safe.

I don't think you have much to fear. Enjoy the game!

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Chardo

Any place with free parking (mostly illegal) will be a half mile or more from the arena. Arena parking is $7, not bad compared to other venues. Stubhub and craigslist are good, with some tickets including a parking pass. As for eats, there's not much within walking distance, but there are dozens of restaurants within a 5 minute drive from the Coliseum. Whatever you want to eat or spend, there will be good choices nearby. Let us know what type of "decent place" you want, and we'll post suggestions.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Renbarg

Even at that hour there is enough people around for it to not be dangerous at all. Just stick to the middle of the train or subway, and don't stare at people .

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Dan-o16

As if the absurdity of the question wasn't apparently obvious... But, if it were dangerous, it is hard to see how a healthy shoulder is going to make much of a difference.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:34 PM
goflyers1718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Any place with free parking (mostly illegal) will be a half mile or more from the arena. Arena parking is $7, not bad compared to other venues. Stubhub and craigslist are good, with some tickets including a parking pass. As for eats, there's not much within walking distance, but there are dozens of restaurants within a 5 minute drive from the Coliseum. Whatever you want to eat or spend, there will be good choices nearby. Let us know what type of "decent place" you want, and we'll post suggestions.
Thanks for the response! $7 is nothing. It's $30 for the closest lots at Devils games. I was really thinking of a bar/grill type place that fans go to before the games. Nothing out of the ordinary.

goflyers1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:37 PM
DirkNowitzki
Rookie User

i'm a semi-professional boxer
thanks for all answers

DirkNowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Isles Junkie

NYC is probably the safest major city in the world. There's no reason at all for you to worry.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:43 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyers1718 View Post
Thanks for the response! $7 is nothing. It's $30 for the closest lots at Devils games. I was really thinking of a bar/grill type place that fans go to before the games. Nothing out of the ordinary.
It would be east of the coliseum down hempstead turnpike, bunch of restaurants and bars. Parking is 10$ now. I would just pay it, but you could park down the block at Nassau college, but you don't have a permit so theres a decent chance of getting a ticket.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Chardo

Bar & grill type places within 5 mins of arena:

Hooters
Miller's Ale House
TGI Friday's
Houlihan's
CanzACiti Roadhouse
Applebee's
Chili's
Famous Dave's
Houston's
Ruby Tuesday

And that's just the chain restaurants. I'm sure I missed a few, not to mention good non-chain places like Tin Alley Grill, Potter's Pub, and others.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote