HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Injury Talk 2.0: Markov out 3+ weeks (minor surgery) Campoli & Spacek practicing

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Lshap

vCash: 500
The knock on Wiz was that, despite his offensive upside, his defensive play was mediocre. This made sense to me at the time and I understood the reasoning behind letting him go. But what's ironic is that we've ended up with a core of pretty good defensive d-men, but remain in desperate need of someone, aside from PK, who can move the puck up the ice and shine on the PP. We're missing the kind of offensive defenseman we had in Wiz. I get the salary issue it would've created, but damn...

Old
12-02-2011, 11:51 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
The knock on Wiz was that, despite his offensive upside, his defensive play was mediocre. This made sense to me at the time and I understood the reasoning behind letting him go. But what's ironic is that we've ended up with a core of pretty good defensive d-men, but remain in desperate need of someone, aside from PK, who can move the puck up the ice and shine on the PP. We're missing the kind of offensive defenseman we had in Wiz. I get the salary issue it would've created, but damn...
He's only 27yrs old and plays with an edge and is a great fighter.

Him locked up at 5yrs vs Markov's 3yrs wouldn't have been so bad.. at least he would actually be playing...

Old
12-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Habitant#1

I just realised that this whole time I thought Luc Gelinas and Renaud Lavoie were the same person.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post

Him locked up at 5yrs vs Markov's 3yrs wouldn't have been so bad.. at least he would actually be playing...
At his price it would have been.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Corncob

Quote:

Except when he's suspended obviously....

Old
12-02-2011, 12:05 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Wrong, i love it when people come on with their chest all puffed out. Then poof. Chest deflated. Lavoie said this on l'antichanbre and Luc " DUH " Gelinas repeated what his buddy said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
I love it when people come on with their chest all puffed out. Then poof. Chest deflated.
I'm sensing alotta love in this thread.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:32 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
I love it when people come on with their chest all puffed out. Then poof. Chest deflated.
Takes a man to accept an apology, but it takes a child to laugh at one.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:38 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Patience.

A markov in the bush is worth more than a wiz in hand? That just has all kinds of awful connotations.

Oh btw, Tal > Fischer. Deal with it.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbk View Post
Scott Gomez at Jean Coutu????

"Se cherche t'il un ami"?

BTW I didn't know they sold some at JC, I need to find the Price one

Old
12-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Intense

Quote:
Takes a man to accept an apology, but it takes a child to laugh at one.

It's cool man, I just found it funny. A case of "arroseur arrosé" if you will.

Edit: It takes a man to check the facts before accusing someone, but it takes a child to throw baseless accusations.

Last edited by Intense: 12-02-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old
12-02-2011, 12:59 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
It's cool man, I just found it funny. A case of "arroseur arrosé" if you will.
Yep arrosé, is what my night will be.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Intense

Quote:
Yep arrosé, is what my night will be.

Don't talk about drinking, the habs performance lately has me wanting to hit the bottle.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I think you're mistaken. Weber is subpar defensively and has been erratic on the PP. Diaz is so-so. Subban is uneven. Recently Martin has concluded that Emelin is better than the Swiss Misses in certain situations. With the return of Markov puck movement on the PP will be a lot better.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Patience.

A markov in the bush is worth more than a wiz in hand? That just has all kinds of awful connotations.

Oh btw, Tal > Fischer. Deal with it.
Tal and Fischer never faced off in a match, so there's nothing to deal with. While Tal was a great attacking player Kaparov has a higher opinion of Fischer's game. I knew Fischer from the time he was 10 years old in 1953 to about 1970, when I was last in touch with him. He was a sociopath but an extremely formidable chess player. In 1970 I faced Fischer in a series of 25 speed games with a 5-minute time limit, in which I won only 3. I was a much better than average speed chess player and often won against masters and grandmasters but I was obviously overmatched against Fischer.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:47 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Tal and Fischer never faced off in a match, so there's nothing to deal with. While Tal was a great attacking player Kaparov has a higher opinion of Fischer's game. I knew Fischer from the time he was 10 years old in 1953 to about 1970, when I was last in touch with him. He was a sociopath but an extremely formidable chess player. In 1970 I faced Fischer in a series of 25 speed games with a 5-minute time limit, in which I won only 3. I was a much better than average speed chess player and often won against masters and grandmasters but I was obviously overmatched against Fischer.
You're quickly turning into the habs board equivalent of ' the most interesting man in the world' in my mind.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:52 PM
MathMan

So I dunno if this has been pointed out, but I made some calculations to see how close to the cap floor the Habs are with all the injuries plus suspension. This quickly became "how far below the cap floor".

Between Gomez, Pacioretty, Markov, Spacek, Campoli, I come to a figure of over 20 million (I ignored the fourth-liners as easily replaceable). Figure that each player was replaced by a guy with about 500k of value, and we're looking at 17.5 million in the hole. The salary floor is 16 million below the salary cap. Needless to say that was mitigated by the recent return of Kostitsyn -- In other words, it used to be worse.

How bad is this? It's so bad that even if one subscribes to the theory that "Gomez is completely worthless", the Habs would still be over 10 million in the hole.

Old
12-02-2011, 02:18 PM
onebighockeyfan

Since we are about 1/3 of the season in, this should be factored into your equation I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
So I dunno if this has been pointed out, but I made some calculations to see how close to the cap floor the Habs are with all the injuries plus suspension. This quickly became "how far below the cap floor".

Between Gomez, Pacioretty, Markov, Spacek, Campoli, I come to a figure of over 20 million (I ignored the fourth-liners as easily replaceable). Figure that each player was replaced by a guy with about 500k of value, and we're looking at 17.5 million in the hole. The salary floor is 16 million below the salary cap. Needless to say that was mitigated by the recent return of Kostitsyn -- In other words, it used to be worse.

How bad is this? It's so bad that even if one subscribes to the theory that "Gomez is completely worthless", the Habs would still be over 10 million in the hole.

Old
12-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Miller Time

any new news on Markov?

why he is on the trip but not cleared to play?

was he just brought with the team so that he could practice with the guys in anticipation of a mid-month return?

or has he perhaps suffered another setback?

seems strange and the habs silence on the matter makes it more dumbfounding.

if he wasn't ready to play, why not leave him at home to train/get worked on, as anyone who has gone through serious rehab would attest, getting into a comfortable rythym for training & treatment is psychologically very helpful. Bouncing around city to city and having to change your routine daily just adds to frustration.

very curious as to what is going on...

Old
12-02-2011, 02:30 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
any new news on Markov?

why he is on the trip but not cleared to play?

was he just brought with the team so that he could practice with the guys in anticipation of a mid-month return?

or has he perhaps suffered another setback?

seems strange and the habs silence on the matter makes it more dumbfounding.

if he wasn't ready to play, why not leave him at home to train/get worked on, as anyone who has gone through serious rehab would attest, getting into a comfortable rythym for training & treatment is psychologically very helpful. Bouncing around city to city and having to change your routine daily just adds to frustration.

very curious as to what is going on...
Bouncing around city to city is a part of an NHL player's rhythm, so I don't know why you suggest he do the opposite. Markov is practicing with the team (on some days) and seeing doctors at the same time. He's nearing a return, so why wouldn't he be travelling with the team? If anything, it would be more concerning if he wasn't with them.

Old
12-02-2011, 02:52 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
Since we are about 1/3 of the season in, this should be factored into your equation I believe.
My calculation was yearly cap hit of injured Habs vs. yearly cap floor; I could divide both numbers by 1/3rd, but the conclusion would be the same.

The idea being, the roster the Habs have iced on most nights would not meet the cap floor if it was their permanent roster.

Old
12-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Just when you think gomez couldn't be more over-priced.

Old
12-02-2011, 03:12 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'm pretty much to the point where I'm not going to watch until Markov and Pacioretty are back.

Old
12-02-2011, 03:16 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

So much for Markov being back.

Old
12-02-2011, 03:24 PM
overlords
Hfboards

renhockey Renaud P Lavoie
Andrei Markov voulait jouer lors de ce voyage. C'est donc dire que les nouvelles sont mauvaises. D'autres complications.

Old
12-02-2011, 03:27 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
renhockey Renaud P Lavoie
Andrei Markov voulait jouer lors de ce voyage. C'est donc dire que les nouvelles sont mauvaises. D'autres complications.
I think that's kind of a leap on Lavoie's part, unless he knows more than his tweet shows. Markov wanting to play and Markov being ready to play are two different things, and it shouldn't be Markov's decision anyway.

You could easily flip it to say the Canadiens are taking all necessary precautions with Markov and not letting him rush himself back, but that would run counter to the cloud of negativity and pessimism that's currently hanging over the team So instead it's "Complications! Setbacks!" and so on.

Closed Thread