HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

OT - Jason Smith & his Wife

Old
12-02-2011, 10:54 AM
sliceOFtrance

vCash: 500
OT - Jason Smith & his Wife

I work at a grocery store and last night at around 730 Jason Smith & his wife came through my cash with an order. At first I did not think much of it in-till I looked at him closely, and I was thinking as he was putting his stuff on the conveyor belt 'is that Smith? nah can't be, sure looks like him though? but why would he still be in Ottawa?' I did not want to embarrass myself by saying if its him and ended up not being him, what a fool id' look. But I was so sure, he was quiet and started to bag the groceries as I am scanning their items. I really wanted to know, so I said in my head 'oh, once he pays with a credit card ill quickly check to see the name on the card to see', once the order was done he told his wife to pay! I was like damnnit! but then I realized wait his wife would have the same last name, so as she was about to pay I asked for her card (even though we cashiers don't really need it they put it in for the pin) haha, I was frantic and almost dropped the card, but then I saw the last name Smith! I looked at his wife as he was bagging and whispered "is that Jason Smith????" bahahaha

She laughs and says yes! I looked at him and said I knew I recognized you! I mean he was a big deal he captained the Oilers to the cup finals and played for several other teams including the Sens in his last season. He smiles but turned red! I told him I am an avid Sens fan but he did not seem like he wanted to discuss anything. I did not blame him because I thought he probably gets that a lot, so I said it out loud "you guys probably get that a lot" his wife replies "actually no not really not anymore.." Funny thing is as soon as I mentioned that I recognized him he wanted to leave..haha I did not even print the receipt yet and he said as he was pushing the cart away "alright have a good night!" I replied wait! your receipt! hahahha. I thought maybe he wanted to leave right away because he thought I was going to attract attention, but I did not want to do that/did not do it.

Anyways I thought i'd share, Also I am not sure if some of you remember he was charged with domestic assault last September, so maybe he wanted to keep quiet on the whole hockey matter? In any case it made my boring Thursday night at work seem a bit more exciting. I am sure many of you have seen/talk to Senators players all the time but this was the real first interaction with a major hockey player as normal citizens. Wonder why he stayed in Ottawa? oh cause this city rocks!? YEA!

sliceOFtrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Minister of Offence

Edit: nevermind

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:22 AM
TeamRenzo

Until I got to the part that mentioned capainting the Oilers I was thinking it was Jason York...reading comprehension, how does that work?

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliceOFtrance View Post
I work at a grocery store and last night at around 730 Jason Smith & his wife came through my cash with an order. At first I did not think much of it in-till I looked at him closely, and I was thinking as he was putting his stuff on the conveyor belt 'is that Smith? nah can't be, sure looks like him though? but why would he still be in Ottawa?' I did not want to embarrass myself by saying if its him and ended up not being him, what a fool id' look. But I was so sure, he was quiet and started to bag the groceries as I am scanning their items. I really wanted to know, so I said in my head 'oh, once he pays with a credit card ill quickly check to see the name on the card to see', once the order was done he told his wife to pay! I was like damnnit! but then I realized wait his wife would have the same last name, so as she was about to pay I asked for her card (even though we cashiers don't really need it they put it in for the pin) haha, I was frantic and almost dropped the card, but then I saw the last name Smith! I looked at his wife as he was bagging and whispered "is that Jason Smith????" bahahaha

She laughs and says yes! I looked at him and said I knew I recognized you! I mean he was a big deal he captained the Oilers to the cup finals and played for several other teams including the Sens in his last season. He smiles but turned red! I told him I am an avid Sens fan but he did not seem like he wanted to discuss anything. I did not blame him because I thought he probably gets that a lot, so I said it out loud "you guys probably get that a lot" his wife replies "actually no not really not anymore.." Funny thing is as soon as I mentioned that I recognized him he wanted to leave..haha I did not even print the receipt yet and he said as he was pushing the cart away "alright have a good night!" I replied wait! your receipt! hahahha. I thought maybe he wanted to leave right away because he thought I was going to attract attention, but I did not want to do that/did not do it.

Anyways I thought i'd share, Also I am not sure if some of you remember he was charged with domestic assault last September, so maybe he wanted to keep quiet on the whole hockey matter? In any case it made my boring Thursday night at work seem a bit more exciting. I am sure many of you have seen/talk to Senators players all the time but this was the real first interaction with a major hockey player as normal citizens. Wonder why he stayed in Ottawa? oh cause this city rocks!? YEA!
I think he is in the introduction stages of bein put into the Senators management fold. I know when he initially retired there was word out he would join the staff. Joy Lindsay had stated in a tweet a couple of days ago that Smith had been working with the guys in Bingo.

I love our management with the educated guys in Tim Murray, Pierre Dorion, Brian Murray (WHo feels more like a special advisio\or at this point), Burda, and Lowes paticularly doing a fantastic job. Only real criticism of our management is failure to incorporate retired players into the organization, feels it helps our reputation as a franchise. Only guy I think we have retained is Luke Richardson, would be thrilled if we have added Smith to thhe staff at some capacity

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Senasnore

I talked and shook hands with Wayne Gretzky at the draft in Ottawa, no biggie.

Senasnore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:38 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

I've found that if you ever get into a position to talk to NHLers, all players want to talk about is non-hockey stuff. I remember running into Chris Kelly a few times, dude is a HUGE NCAA football fan. We had some good talks.

He's a big Syracuse guy, unfortunately. Everyone has their faults, I guess...

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Senasnore

I have talked to many NHL players over the years (my cousin played in the league for more than 12 years) - some are thick as bricks, some are bright and interesting and funny - much like us "normal" people...

Old
12-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Alf Silfversson

vCash: 50
Ummm. Wasn't Jason Smith charged with domestic assault and unlawful confinement of his wife and daughter?

Seems odd that they'd be shopping together.

Alf Silfversson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Senasnore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silfverberger View Post
Ummm. Wasn't Jason Smith charged with domestic assault and unlawful confinement of his wife and daughter?

But, but she loves him.

Old
12-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Alf Silfversson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senasnore View Post
But, but she loves him.
Gotcha!!

Alf Silfversson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:54 AM
SpezDispenser

He's working with the Bingo D-men according to Joy, so soon I assume he'll become a full time member of the Sens staff.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:19 PM
LeTigre

I get uncomfortable reading people's accounts of mundane run-ins with players. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself despite the inherent creepiness factor, but to boot, you brought up the assault case.

It just reeks of intrusiveness.

LeTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

vCash: 177
I've had Michalek, Zibanejad, Spezza, Foligno, and Da Costa come into my work in the last few months, although I wanted to, I never made a big deal because A) I'm working, and B) They just want to come in and go, they shouldn't have to be trampled by employees when they shop.

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Dean Vernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silfverberger View Post

I am pretty sure the charges were dropped.

Dean Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Ed Wood

All this story does is remind me of Bryan Murray's unfortunate infatuation with, and penchant for, overpaying crappy over-the-hill defensemen.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:55 PM
v-man

The only famous person I've ever seen in an Ottawa grocery store is soon to be ex-defence minister Peter MacKay. As for Sens, the only guys I've run into are Spezza, who ate lunch right next to me in Halifax during the Worlds, and Heatley, who drank Jagers with us at 2am the night before a Team Canada game. Didn't bother Spezza though, as him and Staios were obviosly just out for a quiet meal. There were a lot of big names in town those two weeks, and I feel bad for them getting pestered non-stop. Walked by Saku Koivu and some other Finns at a coffee shop too, and they were simply hounded by autograph seekers. You could see they were a bit annoyed by all the folks not letting them enjoy their beverages.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:34 PM
MatthewT

didn't he get charged for something involving his wife?

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:39 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
didn't he get charged for something involving his wife?
Didn't you read the OP and other posts that already mentioned it?

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 03:13 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Didn't you read the OP and other posts that already mentioned it?
sorry, please accept my apology

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senasnore View Post
I talked and shook hands with Wayne Gretzky at the draft in Ottawa, no biggie.
I didnt shake his hand, Gretz was a friggin ******. I did talk with Myers as he was walking down to wherever players go after they do the TSN interview... I told him Buffalo planned on drafting me but I told them to take the tallest dude they could find instead, he pretended to be extremely grateful and joked around with me a bit. I also spoke with Bobby Orr for a while, he was really nice... I told him he was a better hockey player and conversationalist than Gretzky. I also told Karlsson that I couldn't wait for him to be tearing it up for the Sens, he said "I try my best".

NO BIGGIE

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:30 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I saw Spezza in WC (world championship of course ) in my country. But I do not have any interest for his sign only CBJ players andstaff

Last edited by mt-svk: 12-02-2011 at 04:39 PM.
mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:32 PM
playasRus

No one asked the most important question.

Is she hot?

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:34 PM
jbeck5

I was at this bar Downtown a few years ago with my friends...i noticed someone who looked like mcgrattan...of course i ask everyone around me to confirm, but i'm by far the biggest sens fan, so that didn't help. I thought, what the F, what's the worst that can happen, so i walked towards the bathroom and by his booth and stopped "are you brian mcgrattan?" his face just lit up "yeah" and you could tell the date was happy too (prob thinking "im going out with a famous dude") and i mentioned i loved how he socked domi a few months before...he chuckled and said thanks...without making things awkward i quickly shoook his hand and said "anyways, have a good night and good luck with the rest of the season" and took off.

I remember the immediate smile on his face when i recognized him. You can tell Smith and Mcgrattan are different types of people. Brian loves the attention.

Oh...and i played street hockey with trevor kidd, pavel bure, and serge payer when serge was with florida and came to see his parents during the summer. I was like 10 or 11 so they seemed sooooooooo good. I know they're good but i was so young i had no perspective. At that age i thought some mentally challenged cousin of a cousin had a hard slap shot...i realize now...not so much. I wish i could play hockey with them now.

jbeck5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:46 PM
enbridgeFan

Did she look beatup?

enbridgeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Hutz
Classless User