HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realigned!!! [3/7 update: CHI - COL - DAL - MIN - NSH - STL - WPG; NHLPA approves]

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-02-2011, 03:59 PM
  #351
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 8,110
vCash: 500
Eddy is really the only team in our division who I look forward to playing, and that's only because I enjoy their fans complaining and hilarity.

Our games against the Blues and CBJ are much more heated than the games against Col/Van/Cgy

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:21 PM
  #352
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,685
vCash: 500
I don't mind the teams per se, well, I sort of do because I have no real feelings towards them, but it's the constant late starts that comes with this team being on the road is what I can't stand. Not to mention not being able to take a drive to divisional games and subsequently not really see those team's fans in our building is a bit annoying.

__________________

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:25 PM
  #353
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Playoffs work perfectly fine with 4 divisions. The thing people keep getting caught up on with 4 divisions is this thought that there's still conferences. There's not. Divisions exist for scheduling purposes. In a 4 division setup, you basically have home and home with all non-division teams and 6 games against each division team (exception being the two 7 team divisions needing an additional home and home interdivision matchup).

Playoffs can either be top team in each division + next best 12, top 2 teams each + 8, top 3 teams each + 4, or simply top 4 teams in each. Personally, I'd say the top 3 + next best 4 would be the best option. Guarantees an intradivision playoff series, but matchups won't be repeated too many seasons in a row. "Next best 4" almost guarantees no teams get in with inferior records (though it's still possible). I would argue playoffs work far better in a 4 division setup.

As mentioned, you don't need half the East to agree. If you can get the whole west to agree (which is feasible) you just need 4 votes out of the East, and the Southeast is willing to see changes.
Playoffs which work off 4 uneven divisions are fundamental unfair. Uneven divisions are easily one of the stupidest things about the baseball playoffs.

I believe the playoff scenario discussed with the 4-division format is the top-4 teams from each division making the playoffs, with each division having a mini 2-round tournament, which turns into a semi-finals round with the 4 division winners.

This is below stupid. It would be significantly easier to get into the playoffs in two of the divisions (the ones with only 7 teams).

That alone would means that the 16 teams in the two 8-team divisions would vote against the proposition.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:38 PM
  #354
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Am I the only one that actually wants to stay where we are? Its been over a decade. I like our division.. Yes I understand that we could have better travel time & natural rivals & all that jazz, & yes Id love to play in the central too but at this point I just dont care anymore. Im used to it...

I like the mini rivalry we're getting with Edmonton & Colorado. I like playing the Canucks & Flames. I not only wouldnt care if they make a change so its us with winnipeg & drop colorado I'd embrace it. Us & 4 canadian teams! I think that would be fun too.. We're kind of like a little Canada anyways I think as we get better that this division can & will be fun! Im kind of proud to be in a division with so many canadian teams.. Thats where hockey has its roots & I think we fit well with them.. And you cant tell me that if we become a powerhouse in the next few seasons that you wouldn't love watching our little American Wild team run a canadian division!! (Obviously Edmonton will be good too tho) but still it's be fun! haha

Dont get me wrong, I wont complain if we got our wish & put in the central but Im happy as is and kinda dont care anymore...

With that said, I will point out that I live in PST so the game start times dont effect me at all.. I personally hate when we play in Central or Eastern time zones because then I always have to miss a chunk of the game driving home from work! But I understand that time aspect of it being frusterating for you guys.. But I really do like our division. Its grown on me & I really look forward to games against all of our division foes.
That would have a lot to do with it. Besides the fact none of the teams have grown on me after a decade, I hate having 2 9:30 PM local time division starts

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:21 PM
  #355
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,687
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Am I the only one that actually wants to stay where we are? Its been over a decade. I like our division.. Yes I understand that we could have better travel time & natural rivals & all that jazz, & yes Id love to play in the central too but at this point I just dont care anymore. Im used to it...

I like the mini rivalry we're getting with Edmonton & Colorado. I like playing the Canucks & Flames. I not only wouldnt care if they make a change so its us with winnipeg & drop colorado I'd embrace it. Us & 4 canadian teams! I think that would be fun too.. We're kind of like a little Canada anyways I think as we get better that this division can & will be fun! Im kind of proud to be in a division with so many canadian teams.. Thats where hockey has its roots & I think we fit well with them.. And you cant tell me that if we become a powerhouse in the next few seasons that you wouldn't love watching our little American Wild team run a canadian division!! (Obviously Edmonton will be good too tho) but still it's be fun! haha

Dont get me wrong, I wont complain if we got our wish & put in the central but Im happy as is and kinda dont care anymore...

With that said, I will point out that I live in PST so the game start times dont effect me at all.. I personally hate when we play in Central or Eastern time zones because then I always have to miss a chunk of the game driving home from work! But I understand that time aspect of it being frusterating for you guys.. But I really do like our division. Its grown on me & I really look forward to games against all of our division foes.
I like what weve got going on with Edmonton THIS YEAR. However, since were getting all of our games with them out of the way, the only way this short lived rivavlry will have any chance of lasting impact is if we run into them in the playoffs.

That said, I really feel like our games against the Central teams are much more heated. CBJ, Louie, Blackie, Detty, and Nashie all seem to result in tense games, and it seems to get our fans a little more excited. I want to be in a division with those teams, and Winnipeg. I want to feel like I could take a drive and see our guys play in a Rivals barn some day.

I'm a night owl, so late start times dont usually bother me at all. That said, it gets really rediculous sometimes what our road schedule is like. Have we even played a single road game in the central time zone this year yet? No, of course not.

What I want to see is an NHL that focuses on regional rivavlries in the regular season, and then lets the whole NHL fight it out as a cluster**** come playoff time.

Uneven divisions suck? Okay. But we want bigger divisions for more regional action? Okay. How about this. Five divisions of six teams each. No conferences. Division winners plus 11 at-large bids make up the playoff field. And for simplcities sake, lets say Phoenix moves to Quebec City, just for ***** and giggles:

Pacific: Van, Cgy, Edm, SJ, LA, Ana
Central: Win, Min, Col, Dal, Chi, StL
Northeast: Det, Tor, Buf, Mtl, Ott, QC
Atlantic: Bos, Pit, Phi, NYR, NYI, NJ
South: Wsh, Car, Nsh, TB, Fla, CBJ

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:35 PM
  #356
se7en
infamous...
 
se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mission Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,090
vCash: 500
I didnt think about how nice it would be for you guys to be able to hop in the car and make a break down the 35 to Louisy or across Wisconsin to Illinois to hit Chicy(?)

But technically, couldnt you guys just still do that now... I mean theyre not division rivals but we still play them 4 times a year instead of 6.. Is it really those 2 extra games or the fact that we're not in the same division keeping our fans from Hockey Road trips!?

But I do know what you guys mean. I love going to the Home & Home with LA & the Ducks. Always a good time! And that kind of stuff would be great for Wild fans.

But ya, my opinion in all this is moot.. I was just saying that I really dont care that much and I dont want to let it bother me.. It is what it is and rivals will come in time regardless of if its teams in our division or not... I mean some of the biggest rivals lately have been Van-Chi, Sj-Det, and even before that Colorado & Det & the Ducks & Detroit all had pretty heated battles. None of those teams are near eachother or in the same division but that didnt stop them. It was the play-offs that created them not distance..

It will always be the playoffs that create deep rivalries. With Minnesotas location, we'll NEVER have a Pitt/ Philly, NYR/NYI, LA/Anaheim type rivalry.. Well unless one day Minneapolis gets a team one day to pit against the Wild in St. Paul, or more realisticly Wisconsin gets a team one day..

Yes, we may get a few more rival fans in our arena & vice versa but distance will never be the rivalry starter for a place like Minnesota (Twin cities) we're too isolated..

Again, IMO of coarse


Last edited by se7en: 12-02-2011 at 05:40 PM.
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:35 PM
  #357
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat
 
llamapalooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I'm a night owl, so late start times dont usually bother me at all. That said, it gets really rediculous sometimes what our road schedule is like. Have we even played a single road game in the central time zone this year yet? No, of course not.
Our first CST road game is next week... at Winnipeg. That's right, an Eastern Conference team.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:39 PM
  #358
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,503
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
Eddy is really the only team in our division who I look forward to playing, and that's only because I enjoy their fans complaining and hilarity.

Our games against the Blues and CBJ are much more heated than the games against Col/Van/Cgy
LOL Minny fans care so deeply about us and we barely even know they exist. I have trouble selling my tickets to Wild games they're so boring and lame. Ha, but if they want to think they're our rivals i feel sorry for them.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:41 PM
  #359
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,605
vCash: 500
I think there should be 4 divisions of 8, 8, 7 and 7 teams.

Top 4 teams in each division make it or some ****.

Just to mix it up.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:47 PM
  #360
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
A simplier move, that would be a minor change, but better than the current format would be:

Vancouver to Pacific
Winnipeg to Northwest
Dallas to Central

Yes, the Wild would still have to go to Canada for three of their division games, but Winnipeg >>>>>>Vancouver.

Dallas would also play teams closer to their time zone.

Vancouver would as well. They wouldn't get to play all the Canadian teams as much, but again, they would be closer in their timezones.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:47 PM
  #361
se7en
infamous...
 
se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mission Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
LOL Minny fans care so deeply about us and we barely even know they exist. I have trouble selling my tickets to Wild games they're so boring and lame. Ha, but if they want to think they're our rivals i feel sorry for them.
rynryn, you're quoting an Oilers fan right!? haha Because that sounds familiar..

Honestly, Oilers fans are kidding themselves if they dont consider us a rival. We may not be their biggest of coarse but their fans have shown that we get under their skin more than most teams. If they didnt care about us they wouldnt even say anything.

You know they're just itching to start winning more games against us.. And if & when they do they'll be the first to come start gloating about it!

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:18 PM
  #362
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,687
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
A simplier move, that would be a minor change, but better than the current format would be:

Vancouver to Pacific
Winnipeg to Northwest
Dallas to Central

Yes, the Wild would still have to go to Canada for three of their division games, but Winnipeg >>>>>>Vancouver.

Dallas would also play teams closer to their time zone.

Vancouver would as well. They wouldn't get to play all the Canadian teams as much, but again, they would be closer in their timezones.
I could probably tolerate that, but **** Dallas. I want in to the central.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:20 PM
  #363
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
A simplier move, that would be a minor change, but better than the current format would be:

Vancouver to Pacific
Winnipeg to Northwest
Dallas to Central

Yes, the Wild would still have to go to Canada for three of their division games, but Winnipeg >>>>>>Vancouver.

Dallas would also play teams closer to their time zone.

Vancouver would as well. They wouldn't get to play all the Canadian teams as much, but again, they would be closer in their timezones.
I suggested this earlier and got panned for it. If Detroit moves east, that seriously cuts down on air time for A LOT of teams.

If I remember my spreadsheet correctly, it drops Vancouver's travel time the least, but still by about 10k miles. San Jose, the team with the absolute WORST travel year to year, drops down significantly...

I'll have to either find my spreadsheet or make it from scratch again.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:22 PM
  #364
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,687
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
rynryn, you're quoting an Oilers fan right!? haha Because that sounds familiar..

Honestly, Oilers fans are kidding themselves if they dont consider us a rival. We may not be their biggest of coarse but their fans have shown that we get under their skin more than most teams. If they didnt care about us they wouldnt even say anything.

You know they're just itching to start winning more games against us.. And if & when they do they'll be the first to come start gloating about it!
Well, if they get as good as we think they're going to get, and we get as good as we think were going to get, and we both stay in the same division, there is a very good chance the Northwest Division just becomes the Oilers vs Wild division for the better part of the next decade as we just slug it out and rain destruction down on poor downtrodden Colorado, Calgary, and Vancouver (You know they're not gonna stay this good for more than another year or two, especially with poor old Bobby Lu).

Remember back when the Northwest was all really good teams? I miss those days a little.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:46 PM
  #365
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Playoffs which work off 4 uneven divisions are fundamental unfair. Uneven divisions are easily one of the stupidest things about the baseball playoffs.

I believe the playoff scenario discussed with the 4-division format is the top-4 teams from each division making the playoffs, with each division having a mini 2-round tournament, which turns into a semi-finals round with the 4 division winners.

This is below stupid. It would be significantly easier to get into the playoffs in two of the divisions (the ones with only 7 teams).

That alone would means that the 16 teams in the two 8-team divisions would vote against the proposition.
Not at all. The only 4 division setup that has any meaningful advantage to the smaller divisions is if you are adamant that playoffs are 4 teams from each division. As my post pointed out, there's plenty of other options.

Even if we stick with the 4 teams per division (no "wild card" type setup) it doesn't have nearly the impact you accuse it of:

'10-'11 Actual
WSH
PHI
BOS
PIT
TBL
MTL
BUF
NYR
VAN
SJS
DET
ANA
NSH
PHX
LAK
CHI

DAL and CGY both scored enough points to make the playoffs in the East.

'10-'11 4-Div
BUF
BOS
MTL
NYR
PIT
WSH
PHI
TBL
VAN
SJS
ANA
PHX
DET
NSH
CHI
DAL

LAK is left out, but DAL (who would have made it if they were EC) replaces them.

The only change between those is a different team that was "wrongfully left home" ends up at home. If you look at previous seasons since the lockout, the same result occurs.

Here were my divisions (as explained some 3000 posts ago):

NE - TOR, OTT, MTL, BUF, BOS, NYR, NJD, NYI
ATL - WSH, PHI, PIT, CBJ, FLA, CAR, TBL
CTL - WPG, MIN, DET, CHI, STL, NSH, DAL
PAC - VAN, CGY, EDM, SJS, LAK, ANA, COL, PHX

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:48 PM
  #366
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
I don't mind if we stay in the Northwest...as long as Vancouver is kicked out. I want to be in a division with Winnipeg. Even though moving Vancouver out only drops the PST starts by 1 per year, it's far more important leaguewide for Dallas to be put in the Central.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:27 PM
  #367
wildman22
Registered User
 
wildman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
Quote:
Here is the new "four-conference" breakdown that will be proposed at the NHL BoG. I: VAN, CAL, EDM, LA, SJ, ANA, COL, PHO
II: WIN, DET, CHI, STL, CLB, NSH, MIN, DAL.
III: TOR, OTT, MON, BOS, BUF, FLA, TB.
IV: PHI, PIT, NYR, NYI, NJ, WASH, CAR. PHO is wild-card.
@FriedgeHNIC

They have Pho as a wild card in case they move


http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynight...#id=2173372548


Last edited by wildman22: 12-03-2011 at 09:33 PM.
wildman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:09 PM
  #368
FUBAR McDangles
Registered User
 
FUBAR McDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 6,868
vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman22 View Post
@FriedgeHNIC

They have Pho as a wild card in case they move


http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynight...#id=2173372548
Looks good for us, but would Winnipeg agree to being the only Canadian team in the conference? Don't really know who else they could toss in there, unless PHO moves, but overall I like that set up.

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:11 PM
  #369
Wild48
Our Savior
 
Wild48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Duluth
Country: United States
Posts: 1,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman22 View Post
@FriedgeHNIC

They have Pho as a wild card in case they move


http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynight...#id=2173372548
Those would be awesome divisions. I feel that given a chance, the Wild and Winnipeg would become one of our biggest rivalry games.

Wild48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:17 PM
  #370
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,567
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Looks good for us, but would Winnipeg agree to being the only Canadian team in the conference? Don't really know who else they could toss in there, unless PHO moves, but overall I like that set up.
Just like we were just happy to be back in the league when we were placed in the NW division... as are they. I don't think they'll make a stink about being a lone Canadian team in a division at all, especially since they would be in that division with their closest NHL neighbor (us).

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:21 PM
  #371
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,724
vCash: 500
Big improvement, although why are 16 teams in the West and 14 in the East?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:23 PM
  #372
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,567
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Big improvement, although why are 16 teams in the West and 14 in the East?
Because Phoenix is listed in the West, but is only a possible Wild-card for the east.

Also looks like in that scenario, both Det and the BJ's stay in the west.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:30 PM
  #373
wildman22
Registered User
 
wildman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
i guess one of the east GM's is complaining about their team having 20,000 additional miles under this realignment with the home-home with every team outside of their division

wildman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:30 PM
  #374
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,724
vCash: 500
I just love the people out East who claim it makes the most sense to flip Detroit and Winnipeg. So Winnipeg, which is significantly further North AND West of Minnesota, would not be in the NW division while MN is????

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:34 PM
  #375
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat
 
llamapalooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Big improvement, although why are 16 teams in the West and 14 in the East?
There aren't. It's a four-conference setup, with no divisions. There is no East or West anymore.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.