HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emelin and Diaz: Are they good enough to make up for the loss of Hamrlik

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-02-2011, 09:07 AM
  #101
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
I still wish we had Hammer instead of Gill but not at the price Washington paid him and definitely not a two year contract. PG made the right choice.

At the moment, Emelin has more than replaced Hamrlik but other holes in our defense have appeared and they have not been addressed.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:28 AM
  #102
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,335
vCash: 256
Gill is worth having on this team simply for his PK, the guy is great and kills 5 on 3 almost be himself. Don't miss Hamrlik at all

Also Emelin is looking more and more comfortable, hopefully Martin doesn't decide to scratch him

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:38 AM
  #103
MarkovsKnee
Registered User
 
MarkovsKnee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,063
vCash: 500
I think it's obvious now that not signing Hamerlik was the way to go. Habs D is in transition as PG obviously wanted to make it younger & faster. I think that was a good decision despite our current problems.

It would've helped us a lot if either one of Campoli or Spacek had stayed healthy at the beginning of the season. Their injuries have forced us to play Diaz & Weber a lot more than they should be playing. If one of Spacek or Campoli is in the line-up, they get the top 4 minutes, one of Weber or Diaz gets bottom 6 minutes while the other sits. It makes a big difference. We are 8-3-1 with Spacek in the line-up.

Also, I love Emelin. He's a solid, solid guy & a clean hitter.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:42 PM
  #104
DJ Breadman
Registered User
 
DJ Breadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,705
vCash: 500
Hammer sucks, he was a healty scratch -7 for the caps yesterday

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:46 PM
  #105
karatekid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
Diaz should play a year in hamilton. Emelin should be play number 6 Dman minutes for the time being.

I don't think they replace Hammer right now, but eventually both will and more IMO.

Trade Weber.

karatekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:12 PM
  #106
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,937
vCash: 500
I like Emelin. It seems like Diaz and Emelin have switched places, and now emelin looks like the more effective d-man.

Diaz looks like he needs to hit the reset button. I'd love to see him go down to hamilton when the D gets a bit healthier.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:01 PM
  #107
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,773
vCash: 500
this board changes minds quicker than a teenage girl

hammer is still good and im not sure he's being used to the best of his abilities over in Washington tbh...

hammer one year = fine.
hammer two years = hellz no

he could have helped us this year no doubt about it but gauthier rightfully wanted to make the d younger and didn't want to be saddled with 2 years of hammer the same way he's stuck with the spacegoat for another year because of the previous gm.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:56 PM
  #108
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Hammer sucks, he was a healty scratch -7 for the caps yesterday
Indeed, thats a no debate.. Give me a 2-3 years younger Hamrlik and then we can talk, but the guy is clearly on the decline and I take Emelin or Diaz in my line-up way over him right now!

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:59 PM
  #109
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid View Post
Diaz should play a year in hamilton. Emelin should be play number 6 Dman minutes for the time being.

I don't think they replace Hammer right now, but eventually both will and more IMO.

Trade Weber.
Diaz can play there is no doubt about it.. I would sit Weber and Gill over him.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:39 PM
  #110
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,446
vCash: 500
Campoli and Spacek would make up for Hamrlik's departure, unfortunately they got Habitis and have been out for the year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:20 PM
  #111
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,478
vCash: 500
lol, I should bump the thread where a bunch of you guys went berzerk on the small group of us for wanting Hammer gone.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:24 PM
  #112
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,773
vCash: 500
Hamrlik is the driving force behind the Capital's relentless surge. Where it's headed is conjectural.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:29 PM
  #113
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
lol, I should bump the thread where a bunch of you guys went berzerk on the small group of us for wanting Hammer gone.
Try not to necro threads, please .

But if you'd like to quote some overreactions, go for it

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:24 PM
  #114
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Try not to necro threads, please .

But if you'd like to quote some overreactions, go for it
Ohh.. ok, just for old times sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
overplayed, and overpaid. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Too old, too slow, prefer Gill in general,even if Gill doesn't take a paycut and Hammer signs for less

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Awesome signing for you guys. I'm going to miss him on the Habs. Great, great player - especially if he's not chewing up the most minutes on the team. He's an elite #2/#3 as far as I'm concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
Perfect top 4 D. Can do anything you ask him, can move the puck, incredible mentor to other Ds, one of the hardest workers, can take on minutes and offer quality like few other Ds. He'll repair all of his partners mistakes, great signing at this price for Washington, he can still give you 20+ minutes of quality ice time per game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy;34506275 formerly kossegen
Amazing signing for the Caps.

Don't listen to the habs fans that bash him. For some reason Hamrlik was never appreciated in Montreal.

Caps fans, he isn't as fast or as mobile as he once was, but he is a rock defensively and will carry any partner he's with.

He's still top 4 material and can eat pretty decent minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
He was beyond terrible that series, wtf are you talking about.

Caps fans: you're going to hate him. He's slow, he is strictly non-physical and refuses to clear the crease. Only good at positioning himself, can't do anything else at a playoff-team level.

You'll hate him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy;34508399 Formerly Koseegen
Guys don't listen to most habs fans about Hamrlik.

He has always been used to cover up for his partners mistakes in the 4 years in Montreal. He defensive IQ is through the roof. His mobility and footspeed have diminished, but his hockeyIQ is still high as well as his positioning.

He's still a top 4 defensemen and can give you 20-22 solid minutes a night. He was the reason we were able to shoulder the burden left by Markov's injuries. He also changed the dynamics of Montreal's defense the day we signed him.

You'll see, he's not bad at all and still has a few good years left in him. I don't think caps fans realize how much better he just made your defense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
I'm not even going to read this thread. If you don't like this signing you're an idiot. If you think it's an overpayment you're an idiot. That's all.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:37 PM
  #115
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,086
vCash: 500
People should have been more worried about who was going to replace Wiz's 25 minutes plus a nite and PP prowess.

Well management should have been more worried but instead of spending money on him went with stop gaps like Gill and Campoli.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:25 PM
  #116
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,399
vCash: 500
I love being right.

signed,

number 1 Hamrlik hater since day one

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:48 PM
  #117
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I love being right.

signed,

number 1 Hamrlik hater since day one
I think hamrlik was very serviceable for the habs. The question was whether the habs wanted to bring him back at his age, because he's at the point of his career where his effectiveness can plummet at any point.

I'm still not convinced that he's lost it though, because it can be argued that his partner (Dennis Wideman) has been even worse. We'll see how it goes.

Another poster mentiones the loss of wiz. Yes, I've been saying that his loss cannot be understated. They had a really nice umbrella PP with wiz at the point. He has alot of poise back there and the penalty killers really had to respect him, which opened up alot of options. I think Subban can attest to that the most.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:11 PM
  #118
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 500
Yea, our defense looks great!

And Hammer is injured..but who cares about that, TV said he was scratched!

7-4-1 with Spacek in the line up this year I believe, but hey, who needs a veteran presence when you can have St-Denis-Weber-Diaz-Emelin in the line up??

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:13 PM
  #119
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,177
vCash: 500
Are they capable of replacing McDonagh AND Hamrlick? Not a chance. They're actually incredibly impressive rookies, although the fact they have years more pro and international experience than guys like Weber do is often forgotten. Regardless, the team lacks size and toughness along with experience, notably on D. That's not Emelin or Diaz' fault, but neither can they be expected to solve the problem. Emelin's a physical force, but he's not "tough" in NHL-approved after-the-whistle terms, and he's completely exposed to retaliation by the other teams because the roster simply can't protect itself, much less him.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:13 PM
  #120
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Yea, our defense looks great!

And Hammer is injured..but who cares about that, TV said he was scratched!

7-4-1 with Spacek in the line up this year I believe, but hey, who needs a veteran presence when you can have St-Denis-Weber-Diaz-Emelin in the line up??
1 pt, -10 - I'll take my chances with the rookies.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:14 PM
  #121
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I think hamrlik was very serviceable for the habs. The question was whether the habs wanted to bring him back at his age, because he's at the point of his career where his effectiveness can plummet at any point.

I'm still not convinced that he's lost it though, because it can be argued that his partner (Dennis Wideman) has been even worse. We'll see how it goes.

Another poster mentiones the loss of wiz. Yes, I've been saying that his loss cannot be understated. They had a really nice umbrella PP with wiz at the point. He has alot of poise back there and the penalty killers really had to respect him, which opened up alot of options. I think Subban can attest to that the most.
They alaways wanted Hamrlik back, just didn`t want to risk another 35+ multi year contract...Hamrlik was offered a 1 year deal and chose to leave.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:16 PM
  #122
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Are they capable of replacing McDonagh AND Hamrlick? Not a chance. They're actually incredibly impressive rookies, although the fact they have years more pro and international experience than guys like Weber do is often forgotten. Regardless, the team lacks size and toughness along with experience, notably on D. That's not Emelin or Diaz' fault, but neither can they be expected to solve the problem. Emelin's a physical force, but he's not "tough" in NHL-approved after-the-whistle terms, and he's completely exposed to retaliation by the other teams because the roster simply can't protect itself, much less him.
Why would the Habs need to replace McDonagh when he's never played a single game here?


Who cares about after the whistle? I have never seen anybody win or lose a game after the whistle.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:26 PM
  #123
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
1 pt, -10 - I'll take my chances with the rookies.
Right, because that's how it works.
If you have 1pt in Washington, then you'd have 1pt in Mtl. Nothing changes.

Btw, how's the ''take my chances with the rookies'' been working out for us so far??..
Not a coincidence that our record is different with Spacek in, but hey, ignoring it makes your point so much better, so let's just do that.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 12:08 AM
  #124
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Right, because that's how it works.
If you have 1pt in Washington, then you'd have 1pt in Mtl. Nothing changes.

Btw, how's the ''take my chances with the rookies'' been working out for us so far??..
Its been fine, Spacek is a rusted out spare part on this team. Its easy to blame the defense, but lets be honest... the forwards aren't doing their job on a consistent basis.

Quote:
Not a coincidence that our record is different with Spacek in, but hey, ignoring it makes your point so much better, so let's just do that.
The odds are Hammer would be hurt on this team anyways, so your point is moot.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 12:21 AM
  #125
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Its been fine, Spacek is a rusted out spare part on this team. Its easy to blame the defense, but lets be honest... the forwards aren't doing their job on a consistent basis.

The odds are Hammer would be hurt on this team anyways, so your point is moot.
You make no sense at all.

First off, no it hasn't been fine.
Second, yes, it's easy to blame the defense, because it's been our weak point.
Third, as much as you want to consider Spacek a spare part, he brings a much needed veteran balance to the D corps, and the record speaks for itself. Surprise surprise, you decide to ignore it and go with the ''he sucks'' argument. Thumbs up is all I can say really.
Fourth, how did you come to the odds that Hammer would be hurt? In 4years with us, he missed 16games. That's less than what Gill has missed in 2years (not counting this year).

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.